Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Luau in Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

Nice slide Trad'r Bill. I dug up a few more photos of the Luau (and NOT Trader Vic's!).

Here is a nice photo of the building.

The front entrance sign.

And my favorite, Steven Crane with Earl Muntz and the 1953 Muntz Jet owned by Cheryl Crane parked out in front of the Luau.

Sports cars and Tiki Bars!

DC

Sports cars are nice, as are Blond Bombshells at the Luau.

Photos from 1958 of Sharon Lee Street at the Luau in Beverly Hills where she had her first date with David Street.

DC

3 different versions

This nice interior shot of The Luau is actually part of an ad for Beverly Hills Federal Savings. It was in a magazine dated 1966.

I purchased this lone salt shaker from The Luau at the ITMP these weekend. Never seen one like this before with the Trader Vic's hands clasped style and the shell necklace.

The Luau embossed on the back.

Quite a bit different than the two thumbs up model that Crane used at the Luau, Kon Tiki, and Ports o Call restaurants.

Anybody have one of these sets or seen one of these sets before?

DC

A

Perhaps it's from a different Luau?

T

Really cool DC and what a great find. It's probably just their super early 1st salt and pepper shakers before the Steve Crane enterprise became a chain. Or a discarded prototype. Could be from another Luau I guess but I would not be surprised though if it was a early Steve Cane Luau SP shaker... Just for when they first started before they got their first batch of the more ubiquitous ones. Who knows but super cool!!!

On 2015-12-09 22:05, Tattoo wrote:
Really cool DC and what a great find. It's probably just their super early 1st salt and pepper shakers before the Steve Crane enterprise became a chain….

Hey, I like that theory. It is supported by the fact that Steve Crane did indeed take his cues from the Beverly Hills Trader's, as my anecdote at the end of this post relates:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38017&forum=5&vpost=558777

STOLEN TIKI AT THE LUAU!!

DC

Great article. Virginia Marie Durant is probably on TikiCentral now -- a much healthier outlet for tiki enthusiasm.

I also like the officer putting an ID tag on the tiki. He's doing that to distinguish it from all the other 7-ft tikis in the inventory of stolen property?

How do you like "the old days" when you did something wrong and they published your home address in the paper? Yikes, hahahaha....

I found these old photos of actors Robert Taylor, George Nadar and Barbara Stanwyck at the Hollywood Women’s Press Club Golden Apple Award ceremony that was held the Luau in 1954.

Some nice views of the interior and the drinks.

DC

A few more staged photos at the Luau entrance and gardens.

DC

8T

Picked up this 1963 LA Angels game program and found this ad inside.

Pages: 1 2 62 replies