Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

tiki-qurium

Pages: 1 16 replies

HH

so heres a pic of my tank stand/ tiki hut , its not done yet .

close up of the tank

S

Kiliki and I are itching to start a marine aquarium. Stock all those fish we see in the ocean. I found that Walmart sells a 55 gallon set up for about $150. No stand, but I would want to make that anyway. The real trouble is where to put it out of the sun, yet where you can enjoy it.

Nice set up, I just set up a couple of tanks too. One in our studio, and one in my apartment. Turned a bunch of my mugs into aquairum furniture for the fish to hang out inside. The only problem is some of the fish rarely ever come out of the tikis now.

-stuckie

hey Swanky: advice ~ a regular ol' aquarium wont do for saltwater fish! i was into marine aquarium many years ago..and the filtration system is the KEY to keeping your very expensive fishies alive. get a copy of FAMA (fresh and marine aquaria) magazine to see whats newest in equipment.
after a while, my motto was "saltwater fish is God's way of telling you "you make too much money"...

S

I understand I will need an undergravel filter system. My only point was that you could get enough gallons worth of aquarium at Walmart to do marine. I think 55 gallons ia a minimum and a friend used that one very successfully for marine.

My feling is that I do not want to do a marine aquarium if I ever plan to move. So house=aquarium apartment=no aquarium.

HH

actually, once the stand is done im installing a 29 gl mini reef. I have been doing marine fish for the past 10 yrs , I'd like to set up a huge tank but in a apartment with limited space it just aint happing. Small tanks arent that hard to take care of, its just you really gotta know what your doing and there isnt much room for error.
Swanky, dont,dont, Dont use an undergravel filter for a marine tank (you'll build up too much organic waste). If your not using a live rock and live sand method then you need a high capicty wet/dry filter. There are some good models out there, and decent prices but really do some reserch before you start or it will end up costing you more in the end, and turn you completely off marine tank. Check out alot of of the site out there, there some really good info. And just because your in an apartment you can always move a tank it's not that hard either , just tricky.

As for this stand I still need more grass skirt for the canopy or invest in some expensive thatching.

I have a little fishbowl in my kitchen, and it is very work UN-intensive: I use fish that are made of glass. I found this Moai set in an aquarium store, and it needed the appropriate home...
But this whole thing gave me the idea for THE coolest aquarium statuary: The Squidworm Moai house!!! And little figures of Sponge Bob and Patrick! Darn, they should make those....
Actually, Wacko has mini Sponge Bob figurines, but they'd probably float.

T

Hula Hula - your pix aren't showing up....

On 2002-06-03 10:10, Tangaroa wrote:
Hula Hula - your pix aren't showing up....

hula hula - yr pix's are showing up fine. tanga roa check again - could be you?

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jun 3, 2002 2:03 PM

Be patient. It takes a while. I think the pics must be huge or the server slow on which they reside.

T

Hmmmmm - I wouldn't think my server is slow - I'm on a T3 here at work.....
Oh well - not the end of the world - but if others can see it, then it must be me!

D

oooh! SpongeBob Square Pants aquarium ~ very cool..

[ Edited by: dogbytes on 2002-06-09 18:52 ]

On 2002-06-01 09:58, bigbrotiki wrote:
I have a little fishbowl in my kitchen, and it is very work UN-intensive: I use fish that are made of glass. I found this Moai set in an aquarium store, and it needed the appropriate home...
But this whole thing gave me the idea for THE coolest aquarium statuary: The Squidworm Moai house!!! And little figures of Sponge Bob and Patrick! Darn, they should make those....
Actually, Wacko has mini Sponge Bob figurines, but they'd probably float.

Got this Sponge Bob aquarium set today, complete with Sponge Bob, Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Crabs, Gary and Plankton. Not to mention the Moai and Pineapple houses and the Crusty Crab!

DC

Funny, I've been thinking and doing my homework for the same idea and I just bought, two days ago, some "Finding Nemo" Aquarium pieces

To bad the tiki hut is not available as a separate aquarium piece, it is as an expensive WDCC collector's figurine but one shouldn't put that in an aquarium. haha

I want to buy Sponge Bob aquarium stuff too but beware all this aquarium figurines are for fresh water because according to a couple of aquarium guys, these items will start to deteriorate in salt water. Now I don't know what to do because salt water fish are better looking and more colorful but I can make it work with the smaller fresh water fish OR just leave my aquarium waterless and real fishless. I'm still debating on what to do. Anybody have any ideas?

On 2015-08-31 04:12, creativenative wrote:
...but beware all this aquarium figurines are for fresh water because according to a couple of aquarium guys, these items will start to deteriorate in salt water.

Anybody have any ideas?

Couple of thoughts...

If there were to be some sort of saltwater-tolerant sealer, which is also safe for immersion with aquarium fishies, you could treat the figurines and then use them in the water without (or with less) worry. On the other hand, you could also set up a second aquarium with inexpensive fishies and test the aquarium figurines without treatment.

As an example of one possible solution, take some spar varnish and thin it so it is very fluid, and so that you get a very thin coating which is very likely to soak deep into the pores and crevices of the ceramics. Then dip your figurines in the spar varnish and let them soak for an hour or so (make a cocktail!) and then let it dry thoroughly for a few days in a hot garage or in your hot attic.

If it works, I'm sure you'll get some sort of Tikiquarium McGyver award.

Never give up the quest for a solution. Good luck, and try to post your results and any photos here if you do it. I'm thinking that others may want to stand on your pioneering shoulders if you're successful.

Than you AceEx, I think you maybe on to something. When I watch the TV show "Tank" they are always coating their tank inserts with something to preserve them and protect the fish. I just need to find out what the sealant is since is apparently perfect for this situation.

JJ

I would suggest looking into African cichlids if you really want a themed aquarium. They are quite colorful and are easier to care for than salt water fish. I've had both over the years. My advice is to find a good independent fish store and get help from them.

Pages: 1 16 replies