Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

2008 - the FINAL Hukilau

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 256 replies

P
P

Mai Kai drinks are far too good to throw them up.

Bump

S

Soooooooo - -

Anyone have a room at the Cabana they'd like to share? I'm a pretty good roomie (I even bring decorations... and rum...). :)

Suzanne

M

We just finished buying our tickets--zazz!

mrsmiley!!!!!!!!!!

"INKY AND SMILEY IN DA HOUSE!!""

NOW Hukilau can get started!!!
YAAAAAY!!!

(C'mon, 'Boo - you KNOW you gotta get your red eyes on a red eye and make it out from the West Coast too!!)

F

O
Otto posted on Thu, May 1, 2008 12:22 AM

Oh wait, me too, I'll be there!

NOW the party can get started!

I'll arrive thursday evening and stay til Monday afternoon.

Haven't booked my hotel room yet. Anyone got a spare bed?

On 2008-05-01 00:22, Otto wrote:
Oh wait, me too, I'll be there!

NOW the party can get started!

I'll arrive thursday evening and stay til Monday afternoon.

Haven't booked my hotel room yet. Anyone got a spare bed?

Although the Hukilau website and sharaton.com said the hotel (Yankee) was sold out. I was able to get a room a couple of days ago via hotels.com.

The rumor that there are rooms at the Clipper is not true. You actually got the LAST of the rooms that was allotted to Hotels.com - the Clipper is watching for any cancellations and will place them in my control to give out to those that would like a room near the festivities. Just email me.

The Yankee Clipper IS sold out - The Cabana IS sold out

There is a city wide convention in town that weekend held at the Convention Center which is less than a mile away, that is why there's nothing else available in the immediate area.

O
Otto posted on Thu, May 1, 2008 11:02 PM

Although the Hukilau website and sharaton.com said the hotel (Yankee) was sold out. I was able to get a room a couple of days ago via hotels.com.

I was half joking. I booked a room at the Best Western near the Mai Kai (apparently)
It has two beds, anyone need half a room!?!

[ Edited by: Otto 2008-05-01 23:02 ]

On 2008-04-30 21:11, Formikahini wrote:
mrsmiley!!!!!!!!!!

"INKY AND SMILEY IN DA HOUSE!!""

NOW Hukilau can get started!!!
YAAAAAY!!!

(C'mon, 'Boo - you KNOW you gotta get your red eyes on a red eye and make it out from the West Coast too!!)

F

Yo! and Russell will be joining us for this shindig; And we know how much Mrs. Boo LOVES Russell!!!

S

"Ruuuuuuuuussssssssseeeeeellllllllllll!!"

Tell him I can't wait for that dance.

Suzanne

W

I'm beyond excited to attend my first (and the last, wah) Hukilau! From the last pictures this should be interesting, to say the least.

Does anyone have a room booked they might not need? We booked a place within stumbling distance of the Clipper, but later found complaints to the Department of Health regarding an infestation of bedbugs. Not usually one to take stragglers home, any advice from our veterans?

Pretty please? Drinks will be offered to our rescuers!

[ Edited by: wentiki 2008-05-06 14:41 ]

B

wentiki, what was the name of the Hotel with the bedbugs?

Is there a liquor store near the Clipper?

I have a room there. It would be nice to find a place nearby that sells rum, coke and small ice chests.

Did he say "coke"?

G

On 2008-05-07 16:14, Tiki Champagne wrote:
Is there a liquor store near the Clipper?

Check this thread. I didn't dig back through it to see if it answers your question, but it's a good place to start. I bet some of the locals can point you to the right place. And you might even find something better than coke. :)

T

I was planning to skip Hukilau this year, because I am spending all of my free time and available cash on three weeks in Japan, and I am coming home from that trip only a week before Hukilau.

Too expensive to travel again so soon.
Need to get caught up with life at home after three weeks in Asia.
Going to Hukilau isn't something I can afford, and it would not be a responsible thing to do.

Then I found out that it is the LAST Hukilau.

Then I found out (last week) that due to logistical issues and career commitments, my chances of going to HRHH or Oasis are even slimmer than my chances of coming to Hukilau (DAMN).

Then I found a $216 airfare (today) and a $60/night hotel room (today).
Then I read that Otto and Smiley are both coming.

Fuck it, I'm in!

O
Otto posted on Thu, May 8, 2008 10:08 PM

On 2008-05-07 19:20, tikibars wrote:

Fuck it, I'm in!

Yeah!
That's the spirit!
I'm renting a car too, but (hopefully) will be too drunk to drive it!

S
Swanky posted on Fri, May 9, 2008 6:03 AM

On 2008-05-08 22:08, Otto wrote:

Fuck it, I'm in!

Yeah!
That's the spirit!

Man, designated drivers have got to be hard to come by at Hukilau. Taxis shared by 5 or 6, sure...

(delurking)

Greetings all - I am planning on taking off Friday so I can enjoy more of this year's Hukilau. I wanted to say that for anyone looking to rent a vehicle, I work with Enterprise (at the corporate office) and I can look to see about convention rates. If anyone is wanting to do a rental, please feel free to send me an email. I will see what kind of group/convention rates are available for attendees.

[email protected]

James,

Where did you find the airfare? That's the last thing we have to get at this point ... best we saw (from Cle) so far was $288 and will probably be making our purchase this weekend.

Can't wait to meet everybody!

T

Saw lots of airfares in the $260-$300 range, mostly with one stop (from Chicago, stops in Charlotte, Atlanta, or DC), and total travel time 7 to 8 hours, and all leaving at like 5 am! theserates were from all of the usual travel web sites (Travelocity, Expedia, TravelZoo, 1800CheapSeats, etc).

Suckage!*

Then, last minute, a few days after I had given up hope (help me Obi-Wan Kenobi**), I poked around a bit more and got a great rate on SPIRIT airlines, non-stop, leaving at a convenient time of day, and cheap.

Lono's curse has been lifted!

I'll let you know how their snacks are!

• = this is a word that I was not allowed to use (publisher's mandate) in TRT 1 or 2.

** = A New Hope Obi Wan, not suckage prequelness.

T

On 2008-05-08 22:08, Otto wrote:
Yeah!
That's the spirit!

If you ARE able to drive this car, then I will personally see to it that this situation changes, and I hope you'll be a pal enough to do the same for me.

PS - Sorry I have to miss YOUR event AGAIN.
I am truly annoyed.

K
KuKu posted on Sat, May 10, 2008 1:56 PM

Aloha All!!!
I am sooooo excited to be attending my first, only and final Hukilau. I am really looking forward to the Art Show. I will be traveling all the way from norcal and this weekend falls on my 50th. birthday. I am flying solo without the wife & kids (her gift to me, kool huh?!?) and am hoping to get answers to some questions from the locals and/or you experienced folks.

I will be staying at the Yankee Clipper(gotta see that Wreck Bar as I own Thor's "Hookah Lau Bubble Bar" original painting, he will be there as well but not as a vendor) Wed. night thru Sunday and would like to rent a bike to check out town on Thurs. Any suggestions? Also what to wear in the evenings at parties and Mai Kai. Of course Aloha shirts but are shorts/sandals acceptable or will I be in dress code violation? Pants are so, I duhno, confining and heavy. What about taking on a volunteer shift to meet people. How about surfing and board rentals? Oh yeah, how much fun can I expect to have, more fun than rum...?!?

Hope to hear from y'all!
Mahalo & Cheers!
Kev

HC

Aloha ...Southwest Air has some great rates ...they have their own site and I don't think you can find them on the travel sites (mine was 250 round trip nonstop from Providence RI at reasonable hours. Hula Cat

We are flying Southwest also. Their fares are staying pretty reasonable since they have been smart with their fuel hedge program.

F

James, that's complete suckage that you couldn't use the word 'suckage' in TRT 1 or 2. Not that the books suffered for that at all. See you at the Hukilau!

You bet, Frostiki.

There will be no suckage at hukilau, except for all of us freaks sucking down Zombies at the Mai Kai!

"just my opinion,i could be wrong"

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-05-11 14:20 ]

G

On 2008-05-11 14:05, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Yeah... what HE said.

B

Sherry and I will be attending this last Hukilau too! Anyone in town early can come visit Benzarts shop if you wish, just PM me for directions.

Greetings all,

I just wanted to post an update on convention rate rentals. For those looking to rent a vehicle (either from the airport or local areas), I have arranged with our group convention sales manager a convention rate for Hukilau attendees. I don't have an easy way to attach the flier here so I'll paste the contents:

Special Discount For
The Hukilau
Ft. Lauderdale 2008

Receive an additional
10% discount off at all Airport
Locations and 5% off all
Home-City Locations

Please Refer to Rate Code:
41W0275 pin # HUK
Discount effective 05/1/2008— 6/30/2008

To reserve online, log onto http://www.enterprise.com

Or call (800) Rent-A-Car

Free unlimited mileage in the state of Florida
Free pick up from the closest office location
Over 170 locations to choose from
Taxes, surcharge, vehicle licensing fee, airport facility tax, and airport access fee not included in above rate.

I was planning to skip Hukilau this year,
Too expensive to travel again so soon.

Fuck it, I'm in!

ZAZZ!!! We got a cheap room (independently) and from Priceline a rental car at about $20 a day plus taxes.

Can't beleive it, we have booked our first and last Hukilau, managed to get a cheapish flight and booked the Best Western, we fly in on the Wednesday and fly home on the Monday, short trip but worth it!! Can't wait, really looking forward to it, and thanks Tiki Kiliki for all of your help with getting booked; etc; can't wait to catch up with you at the bar!! And all of our other friends on that side of the pond, and looking forward to making new friends! Roll on June 11th.....

I'm so excited that you guys are coming Tikiwagon!!! All the way from London - don't I feel special! Will be nice to share cocktails and you are both going to be forever in love with the Mai-Kai, you'll be glad you made the journey.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The Hukilau

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2008-05-14 09:25 ]

As part of George Bush's "Economic Stimulas Rebate" I will be doing my part to help the economy by staying in Florida for Hukilau. I will be helping vend with .....tIkitOny..... Aloha

Right on Ron!

It will be good to see you again, its been a couple of years.

This is gonna be the longest 3 weeks wait ever!!!!!!!!!

As Bongo said......

Can't wait to Stimulate the Hukilau and the Mai Kai!!!

( never thought I'd say thanks to the Bush Mafia!!! :)

Just extended my stay until Tuesday Morning....Looks like this is a ffull on vacation now.

Can't wait.

Man...I need an "un-vacation" right now (I do have to sing for my supper there, but it's always a blast). I won't Debbie Downer you guys with the kind of year I've had but trust me. I do have two minor concerns- I am flying in now so it will be important for someone else to bring the 144-piece Jumbo Yankee Doodle Dandy fireworks assortment. It's gotta have Mortars so I can foggily pull them out of their plastic base and Al can stick them in the sand upside-down and give them that nice Nam combat footage effect, ala 2003. Second concern is the Hukilau Bail Fund. Due to the swelling ranks of familiar names, we may need to increase the alloted amount to paddy wagon level.

Dis here's the "Grand Finale" assortment BK...

I'm sure any respectable fireworks shack along I-65 or I-24 would carry it. :wink:

Unless you want to go with the "AERIAL BARRAGE" Assortment, sure to get the attention of F.L.P.D. and the firehouse across the street, not to mention the prying eyes of the 3 am helicopter passover.

Maybe not though, considering I'm also hauling boxes of woodcarvings and bottles of booze in the heat of summer.

We'll find some other sort of shenanigans to get into.

Don't stand too close to the pool! :wink:

Totally last minute.....
but BooBen said i MUST see the Mai Kai
and it IS the last Hukilau
Soooooooooooo.....
Thursday Late night thru Sunday morn
the Missus and i will be there!
Also got's 5 paintings in the Fine Art tiki show there!
Can't wait to meet the East Coast Ohana!

LLT in da hut!!!!!!!!

BK and Lake,

Too bad Big Tiki Dude's not coming.

We could easily turn his head into a roman candle!

That 03 nam scene on the beach was too mush fun!!!!

We need this guy for late nite dips!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0729_040729_sharkrepellent.html

p.s. don't wear your "loud printed suits" either.......

What Color Apparel or Gear Should I Wear in the Water?
Sharks see contrast particularly well, so any high contrast color apparel or gear used by a human in the water is especially visible to sharks. The bright yellow color traditionally used in water safety flotation devices and rafts is readily seen by human rescuers looking for missing persons in the sea and likely is seen easily by sharks as well. As a result, shark researchers laughingly refer to this color as "yum yum yellow!" Should one replace all these devices with more drab colored items? Of course there is a trade-off involved, but most would agree that the benefit of increasing one's chances of being rescued far outweigh the minimal risk of attracting a shark. By contrast (pardon the pun), divers and swimmers probably can reduce the chance of an interaction with a shark by avoiding bright swimwear or dive gear. I personally prefer to use dark blue or black fins, mask, tank, and wetsuit while diving and make a point of wearing my dive watch under the cuff of my wetsuit, thereby eliminating any chance of light reflection off the face of the watch attracting a shark or barracuda. Similarly, one always should avoid wearing jewelry because the glint of light reflecting off metal approximates the glint of light off the scales of fishes, the normal food items of most sharks.

© George H. Burgess, International Shark Attack File
Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida

Bamboo Ben Custom Tropical Decor!
I build stuff for you!
Google search me and see!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-05-27 05:51 ]

P

There will be no man-dances for you here. Just gruff talk and country music.

I heard Doug's gonna be there!
Maybe one slow dance to Bob Will's "Faded love"
would be the perfect crossover to all y'all! :lol:
gruff talk?
Fireworks?
Sharks?
Bail Funds?
Sounds like fun!
let's tear this damn place UP!

On 2008-05-27 05:38, RevBambooBen wrote:
LLT in da hut!!!!!!!!

BK and Lake,

Too bad Big Tiki Dude's not coming.

We could easily turn his head into a roman candle!

That 03 nam scene on the beach was too mush fun!!!!

We need this guy for late nite dips!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0729_040729_sharkrepellent.html

p.s. don't wear your "loud printed suits" either.......

What Color Apparel or Gear Should I Wear in the Water?
Sharks see contrast particularly well, so any high contrast color apparel or gear used by a human in the water is especially visible to sharks. The bright yellow color traditionally used in water safety flotation devices and rafts is readily seen by human rescuers looking for missing persons in the sea and likely is seen easily by sharks as well. As a result, shark researchers laughingly refer to this color as "yum yum yellow!" Should one replace all these devices with more drab colored items? Of course there is a trade-off involved, but most would agree that the benefit of increasing one's chances of being rescued far outweigh the minimal risk of attracting a shark. By contrast (pardon the pun), divers and swimmers probably can reduce the chance of an interaction with a shark by avoiding bright swimwear or dive gear. I personally prefer to use dark blue or black fins, mask, tank, and wetsuit while diving and make a point of wearing my dive watch under the cuff of my wetsuit, thereby eliminating any chance of light reflection off the face of the watch attracting a shark or barracuda. Similarly, one always should avoid wearing jewelry because the glint of light reflecting off metal approximates the glint of light off the scales of fishes, the normal food items of most sharks.

© George H. Burgess, International Shark Attack File
Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida

Bamboo Ben Custom Tropical Decor!
I build stuff for you!
Google search me and see!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-05-27 05:51 ]

Are you insinuating that people wear swimsuits for the moonlight swims?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 256 replies