Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

2008 - the FINAL Hukilau

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 256 replies

S

Ha ha ha ha ha!

T

Fireworks, Ruzik, Bamboo Ben....Yikes...Florida will be in DEFCON 5.

Awesome.

S
squid posted on Tue, May 27, 2008 4:06 PM

Good thing I'll be be busy gigging with Tikiyaki and the Martini Kings. Youz guys is scaring me! :)
This is definitely going to be a hoot. Yeeeehaw!!!!!! Flourdough here we come!

My wife and I are bummed that we can't make it this year. We had a blast last year, I know I can count on this years attendees to have at least one drink for "The Fachers" here in Nebraska.

A couple of my favorite pics from last year...

On 2008-05-27 08:15, little lost tiki wrote:

There will be no man-dances for you here. Just gruff talk and country music.

I heard Doug's gonna be there!
Maybe one slow dance to Bob Will's "Faded love"
would be the perfect crossover to all y'all! :lol:
gruff talk?
Fireworks?
Sharks?
Bail Funds?
Sounds like fun!
let's tear this damn place UP!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQ4QLFl01g

I

I do have one request/reminder for Hukilau participants to keep in mind.

The Hukilau is a full weekend, filled with many activities, and bands playing a wide variety of music - not to mention after-parties that might extend to the early hours of the morning.

For some of us, Hukilau is a rare opportunity to listen to a classic exotica music, performed live, by groups of skilled musicians. Many people wish to hear the subtle flow of a whispering melody, or the light tap-tap-tap of a drum, or pay close attention to the varied vocal harmonies.

At past Hukilau events, there have been some moments where an almost perfect musical moment has been disturbed by a background static of voices, from people talking at the back of the rooms. If you happen to be in a room where quiet exotica music is being performed, please try to hold your conversation to a respectful minimum, or at a whispering level, or even consider moving to a different room.

Quiet music does not mean that nothing exciting is happening, and it is not simply background elevator music serving as a placeholder before your favorite surf band arrives on stage. For some of us, Hukilau is that rare magical event, where like-minded people can gather to dress up and listen to a genre of music that much of the public ignores. To be in a room where like-minded friends are sitting quietly, enraptured by the quiet exotica sounds ... well, those are often the moments that will long be treasured.

No, there won't likely be any shushing matronly librarian types, walking around with yardsticks in search of someone to whack. (I think they appear in some private after-parties, that I never seem to get invited to.) The above suggestions are only a reminder, not an iron-clad rule, as even the bands that play the quiet exotica music have moments where they let loose with more wild rhythms, assorted bird calls, where the audience will likely be encouraged to let loose and add their own jungle sounds, blow their own conch shell, or perhaps even get out on the dance floor and act only as drunken Hukilau revelers can dance.

Oh, and if you happen to pass a room, or are walking along the beach, and you see a big guy, playing a little ukulele .... pause a second, stop what you are doing, and listen. Chances are that it is Pablus, and he has one of the sweetest voices in the tiki community.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2008-05-28 07:44 ]

You're the first to get thrown in the pool Vern!!!

S

Nice. New faces from the Left Coast to watch as they enter the Mai Kai for the first time, and the 4AM hot tub, and the 3AM Pablus serenade, and the...

I just read an article where they think you can avoid jet lag by not eating for 16 hours before your trip... You Californians kill us Right Coasters by being wide awake at 2-3AM cuz it's just getting late to you. It's HELL on us... But, guys like Boobamben keep the party going. He doesn't sleep anyway, so, we're all screwed... in a good way.

I'm extending my stay until Tuesday. Anyone wanna share a room for Sunday and Monday nights? The missus is leaving Sunday for home.

HC

Aloha ! Vern , many mahalos for articulating (in a kind way) how some of us were crying in our Mai Tais while Robert Drasin orchestrated a slice of heaven last year. My own joy was tempered with the urge to shove whole limes down the throats of some loquacious louts. I also love to get loud and party down (bring on the western surf punk)but my church sounds are Exocita and raising hell has another place and time. Hula Cat

may i suggest posting a sign outside the "Exotica" Room that says....
"KEEP QUIET PLEASE. THE OLD FOLKS WANT TO HEAR THEIR MUSIC"
that way we'll know to take our firearms and explosives elsewhere....
:lol:

Warm Greetings TC Ohana!

Atomikitty here with a bit of a dilemma. . .

It looks as if I will be flying solo to Hukilau. :(
Adam's evil overlord of a boss has chained all the young lawyers to their desks until their will to live is entirely drained. . .

I am of course VERY bummed not to be sharing this amazing event with my bitter half :wink: but it is really important to me to make it to this last year of Hukilau. I will have TWO brand new tiki paintings in the Harold Golen Art Show, (NOT Coconut Monkeys OR Big Eye Menehunes. . . yes, I can paint other things too!) I will be strutting my stuff in the Sarong-O-Rama fashion show, and I absolutely couldn't miss this last chance to see the Mai Kai with Tiki Ohana.

So. . . I'm putting the word out there to see if any of my west coast TC lady pals would maybe wanna share a room and/or be Hukilau buddies.

I am a bit untidy with my clothes and accessories, but I don't snore and I mix a mean hotel-room cocktail!

Will you be my Hukilau buddy or know someone who might?. . .

Lemme know!

MAHALO!

Suzy

The Gift shop at the Mai-Kai has Mystery Bowls in inventory for your Hukilau shopping pleasure.

And, it looks like about 9 cases (possibly more) of Rum Barrels just waiting to go home with you.

Not long now!

Cant wait!

S

On 2008-05-28 19:43, Chip and Andy wrote:
The Gift shop at the Mai-Kai has Mystery Bowls in inventory for your Hukilau shopping pleasure.

And, it looks like about 9 cases (possibly more) of Rum Barrels just waiting to go home with you.

Hurray!!!!!

Atomikitty, all my folks who were going with me have backed out as well. I say you and I have a drink and a dance at one of the parties and make a toast to ourselves for having fun without them!

On 2008-05-28 15:09, Hula Cat wrote:
Aloha ! Vern , many mahalos for articulating (in a kind way) how some of us were crying in our Mai Tais while Robert Drasin orchestrated a slice of heaven last year. My own joy was tempered with the urge to shove whole limes down the throats of some loquacious louts. I also love to get loud and party down (bring on the western surf punk)but my church sounds are Exocita and raising hell has another place and time. Hula Cat

Sorry in advance HC, but it might be kinda hard not to
Hoot and Holler for our own Teriyaki Orchestra!!!!

Get your limes ready!!!

California is invading big time this year!!!

.........and those Martini Kings..... another wild bunch!

More limes!!!

King Koo Koo doesn't count!!! ( world wide pneumonia :)

.........But!!!

Then there's CRAZY AL TOO!!

More limes!!!!

p.s. this is all in fun. don't take us serious one bit.
the californians are really mellow to tell you the untruth.
No worries. your exotica will be fine!

T

Actually, what we could really use is some good bird calls and other jungle animal sounds....

That being said, we're pretty rowdy for an exotica group :)

Thank TC Ohana for the great response to my search for a Hukilau buddy!

Mission accomplished and I look forward to a great weekend with you all! :)

SouthBamaTiki, glad I am not the only lone adventurer. Please come say hi, and yes, let us toast to being 'with it' enough to move earth and sky to get to this final Hukilau! You don't perhaps have a banjo on your knee do you?. . . then we might be in trouble. . . :wink:
(Being as my name is Susannah and you are from Alabama and all . . . in case you didn't get the lame joke. . . )

(crickets. . .)

To my wonderful and oh-so-talented TikiYaki boys. . . I am sure you will have no problem finding people to make weird jungle bird noises and monkey calls to accompany you after a few cocktails in the wreck bar. :)
Actually, that seems like the natural solution to the whole tiki revelers vs exotica revere-ers dilemma!

Looking forward to a memorable weekend!

I better start packing now. . .

-Atomikitty

P.S. I want that drum riser as a codpiece.

T

Basement Kahuna, How did you know that KISS is, like, my FAVORITE band....

You think I'm kidding ? I'm NOT !

My First concert : KISS at Nassau Coleseum on Long Island, 1977. Opening act Sammy Hagar. He Got booed off the stage. Even THEN he got no respect. People must have known back then that he would be in Van Halen, and tried a pre-emptive strike :)

I used to Love it loud, now I love it LOW.

BTW...Glad you could make it Suzy !

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-05-29 09:11 ]

YAY!
Roll Call!
Atomikitty!
BooBen!
Crazed Al!
Squiddles!
Boring Boris!
Bifachoo!
Suckertiki!
Hind endo Paul!
LLT!
Tikiyaki!
mieko!
BongFurry!
JonPaul?
Otto!
Ku-Ku
Martini Kings!
Californians...... Represent!
Who else is attending from the Left Coast?

Can't wait to hear Pablus!!!!!!
and gladhand all y'all East Coasters!
i'm bringing a basket full of Hugs!
and a pocket full of "SHHHHHH's"!
:lol:

Visit http://www.kenruzic.com
http://www.myspace.com/kenruzicdotcom
Arts and Crap at its Finest!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-05-29 13:29 ]

Yeah...Sammy should stick with the Tequila thing. Works better for him than music by a longshot. Looking forward to seing y'all at the Hukilau!

[email protected] love a lady with a penchant for bad jokes! No banjo here, but I will blow on an empty rum bottle for ya :wink: And you are from one of my most fav places in all the world. Went to San Fran twice and fell head over heels with the city. Hoping to do San Diego and the area around LA later this summer. A friend moved out there to work at Disneyland, so I wanna go there and check out the tiki places around. And I wanna see the Hollywood sign and take my picture at Lucille Ball's star on the Walk of Fame.

[email protected] love a lady with a penchant for bad jokes! No banjo here, but I will blow on an empty rum bottle for ya :wink: And you are from one of my most fav places in all the world. Went to San Fran twice and fell head over heels with the city. Hoping to do San Diego and the area around LA later this summer. A friend moved out there to work at Disneyland, so I wanna go there and check out the tiki places around. And I wanna see the Hollywood sign and take my picture at Lucille Ball's star on the Walk of Fame.

Not technically The Left Coast but Me and Mr. Doug 'bloody hell he's tall' Horne will be representing the furnace that is Arizona at Ye Olde Hukilau.

Mr. CH

Yay Doug and Stacey! :D

C

On 2008-05-29 13:29, cheeky half wrote:
Not technically The Left Coast but Me and Mr. Doug 'bloody hell he's tall' Horne will be representing the furnace that is Arizona at Ye Olde Hukilau.

Mr. CH

WOW! COOL - looking forward to seeing you there!!

heard it thru the grapevine...
only Doug,not his better (and funnier) half,Stacey will be in attendance......
the Hukilau weeps....

That's too bad, we will miss you Stacey.

But don't worry, I'll make sure that Kenny and Doug 'leave room for Jesus' when they slow dance this time. . . :wink:

T

Come on down on vacation leave with probation !

Yo BK!

Teriaki still has part of the hair to prove it too!!

You can tell from it that he banged his head a few times!!!

Although, I still think he was in the Mis Fits!!

On 2008-05-29 21:47, RevBambooBen wrote:
Yo BK!

Teriaki still has part of the hair to prove it too!!

You can tell from it that he banged his head a few times!!!

Although, I still think he was in the Mis Fits!!

You have no idea....I was M E T A L !!!

Never was a Punk Rock guy tho'....

Grew up in NY, where it was more Metal, as opposed to SoCal which had alot more punk....

How I wandered into Exotica, I still don't know....It's nice and Quiet here tho, in the, um... Quiet Village.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.