Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Quiet Village podcast

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 344 replies

D

Squid,
no harm in sluttyness (is that a word?). I will be previewing a track from the new Tikiyaki CD on the next episode for sure

D

Episode 18 coming real soon. I am pleased to announce that I will be interviewing Diana Lai, the first VIP Hostess for the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland when it first opened! She has some great stories of working personally with Walt Disney and at the TIki Room!!!

H

It's so much fun to plug in my iPod and suddenly have the latest Quiet Village podcast spooling up! Loved the latest one, Digitiki! The interview with Diana Lai was terrific - she seems like such a cool lady. Also loved that Alpert-esque version of "Sukiyaki"! And I'm really psyched for the new Tikiyaki Orchestra CD.

Keep up the good work!

JB

On 2009-06-12 14:14, Digitiki wrote:
Squid,
no harm in sluttyness (is that a word?).

It is a word...just misspelled.

Ep 18 is my favorite so far! Great tunes and a fantastic interview! Best show yet! Keep it up, Digitiki!

Great # 18..... :)

Now I want 19 and 20 and 21 and......

Disney history! Best Show ever!

S

Wow, that was a fun episode. I got a lot of laughs out of the good time that was obviously being had at the Rumpus Room... same kind of fun vibe as listening to your recording of people shouting "Toro!" at the Tiki-Ti on a podcast way back when. Lots of interesting track choices. Kudos for another swell episode, Digitiki!

Suzanne

Great podcast from the rumpus room,cool stuff Mark!

Great show all about "Down-loads" of exotica music from the net.
I down loaded "Blue Hawaii" by Bing Crosby - what an amazing voice! Balmy, hypnotic and very island style. Great tunes to paint tiki art by!
Thanks for the info and the down-low on the down-loads!

Mahalo!
B~

D

Brad,
Thanks for the kind words. Since I did the show, I've found that some of the very old 49th State REcords releases have started to show up in the iTunes library too! I just missed getting them on the show.

Thanks again for listening!!

Mahalo,
MARK

D

New episode up NOW!

Whew, I was getting impatient. :)

Eric frickin' October!
YEAH BABY!
Not only the coolest tiki artist, but gots the coolest name: Eric OCTOBER.
Coolest artist name since SHAG.
Really.
He's gonna be big just cause of his name.
Great show!

M

Always look forward to a new episode, not only is the music number one with a bullet, but the interviews are very informative and entertaining. Discovered Kava Kon on this episode and was drawn into their other wordly effect on me. I always admire Digitiki's proper annunciation of the English language, and the fact that he proves he is actually drinking a mai tai by shaking his glass of ice. Solid to da max!

D

One of my favorite interviews is now up on the newest episode (#23). Jeff Chenault, contributor to Tiki Magazine and expert on Exotica does an amazing job of dangling ultra rare LPs that most of us will never find (including me) in our faces. Jeff brings a bundle of great rare LP tunes and he and I geek out on the details of each of the LPs. I hope you enjoy

Mahalo!

Great show - really enjoyed this one. - Didn't know about those Re:Search mags/Cds before. Also that weird mix of Moon of Manakoora was great.

Nice addition with Arnie Aka Nui, funny stuff. Should of had him play Huki. Lead me to dig up my live album signed by Arnie and Adele, what a Palm Harbor, FL artifact. For the record, looks like the two were not married. Also found an article from St. Pete Times.
http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/article435455.ece?comments=legacy

That episode went by SOOO fast!!! Great one!

Can't wait for Part 2

D

senioraqua,
WOW! Great find. I have that record too. I was amazed to find that Arnie actually had 2 records out! THatnks a million for the link to that article. It really shed light on who Arnie Aka-Nui really was. Personally his first album has THE best cover ever!!! It sums up American pop culture tiki with that one photo!!!

Interesting story: Jeff Chenault was telling me, during the interview, that he wound up meeting Arnie Jr. at the Hukilau event in Florida this last year 2009!!! Strictly by chance! What are the odds of that. It would be really cool if I could find him and interview him for the podcast about Arnie!!

Mark

D

OK, part 2 of the interview with Jeff Chenault has just been posted! You guys are gonna dig this one! Jeff debuts a long lost recording from 1965 of the Kahiki Beachcomber Trio, recorded at the Kahiki--you can even hear the water fountain in the background. Enjoy.

On 2009-11-03 09:54, Digitiki wrote:
OK, part 2 of the interview with Jeff Chenault has just been posted! You guys are gonna dig this one! Jeff debuts a long lost recording from 1965 of the Kahiki Beachcomber Trio, recorded at the Kahiki--you can even hear the water fountain in the background. Enjoy.

Thanks Mark,

Here is a picture of the Kahiki Trio back in the day.....

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2009-11-03 10:56 ]

A

So will you or Jeff be posting info on how to order the Kahiki LP?? That would be a great one to have, I think.
I am REALLY enjoying these eps - you two must have had a blast putting them together. Thanks for sharing all of this great music with us, Mark!
Dave F

Digitiki,
can I ask you a favor?

when you have a new show up, can you post a direct link to it(new show)please.

I have a real hard time navigating the site to find the player.

thanks
Jeff(btd)

On 2009-11-04 17:40, avril64 wrote:
So will you or Jeff be posting info on how to order the Kahiki LP?? That would be a great one to have, I think.
I am REALLY enjoying these eps - you two must have had a blast putting them together. Thanks for sharing all of this great music with us, Mark!
Dave F

Hi Dave,

Rest assured, when the record is ready all the info will be posted. It will be strictly limited to 300 copies!!

Thanks for the interest.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Outstanding Part 2!!!!!

D

Thanks Granite!! Glad you enjoyed the show

Jeff,
Do you have an ipod or iTunes on your computer? That is the best way to get the newest episodes, that way they automatically download when it becomes available. You don't have to do anything.

D

Jeff (BTD)
Also, I think if you just enter the URL for the entire feed (http://www.digitiki.com/podcast/The_Quiet_Village.xml ) it should take you to page in your browser that lists all the episodes. I'm using Safari web browser and it displays a page with all the episodes listed (the newest one at the top). From there you can just click on the file to launch it in your browser. I hope that helps.

MARK

Mark,
no I don't have an i pod, or use I tunes.

when whorehay does a podcast on RFB he lists the link to his myspace and his web site, where the player can be accessed.

but if you want to go strait to a show, its nice to have the direct link
like this. http://radiofreebakersfield.com/shows/rfb93.mp3

you don't have to do it,
but if you posted a link like the one I did above.
you would prob get more listeners that don't have a Ipod or Itunes.

my 2 cents.
Jeff(btd)

this was what I was looking for:
part 1
http://www.digitiki.com/podcast/QuietVillage23.m4a
and pt 2
http://www.digitiki.com/podcast/QuietVillage24.m4a

it only took me 15 min, fooling around to find it.
yikes.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-11-10 21:06 ]

Great shows, guys,
very informative, and fun.
and also thanks for all the rarities.

Jeff(btd)

mmmmmmmm Mambo Burger.
:wink:

Thanks so much for the great podcasts! I always find myself firing up iTunes to see what I can purchase after one of your shows. Jack Burger and the Out-Islanders are new discoveries for me, so thanks a bunch! Your show is always something to look forward to.

A

Once again, Mark/Marty, er, Digitiki, really enjoyed the new ep (26!). This one will be a keeper right along w/ eps 11 & 11.5 from last year's holiday season.

Thanks for hilighting Andy's material on your show. I think it's time to do some shopping... (http://tikijoesocean.com/)

Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings, Everyone!

D

I really enjoyed doing the interview with Andy. New new album is so much fun to listen to. It really sets the Tiki Christmas mood off just right!!

On 2009-12-17 15:13, Digitiki wrote:
I really enjoyed doing the interview with Andy. New new album is so much fun to listen to. It really sets the Tiki Christmas mood off just right!!

Thanks for the kind words and the fun interview, Mark. I was really thrilled to have been a part of your Christmas Quiet Village.

Mele Kalikimaka, man~!

Andy

T

Aloha Digitiki!

It's been over a month and no new podcast! HELP! I'm withering away with no new episodes...

Actually, I just want to send you long-overdue MAHALOS for such a fine podcast... it has literally expanded my appreciation, understanding, and library of tiki music beyond my wildest tiki dreams!

MAHALO again!

Tobunga,
I hear ya. I've been slacking off lately. However, I am at work on the first episode of the 2010, it will be an Ernie Menehune episode. I also wanna do an all Gene Rains episode, a Bossa Nova episode and Joe Banks wants to guest host too, so I got some stuff in the works. I just need to get my lazy ass out of the hammock and in front of the mic.

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2010-01-22 11:24 ]

What about the marty Lush interview ?

On 2010-01-22 11:24, Digitiki wrote:
...I also wanna do an all Gene Rains episode...

This is gonna be a good 1, I'll bet!!!

On 2010-01-22 11:27, tikiyaki wrote:
What about the marty Lush interview ?

oh that's guy is impossible to get ahold of,
and real prima donna.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

TM

Marty, what are the odds of you throwing a Lucas Vigor song on your bossa nova segment? Bossa Nova is the style I do predominately.

Marty you can hear his Bossa Nova on my show this week if you haven't heard his work before....Lucas Vigor plays some great stuff. Kooper digs

I just listened to Koop's show and have to second what he said about Lucas's Bossa tune!!!!

Starting to twitch a little, I need a new Quiet Village :)

T

On 2010-01-22 11:24, Digitiki wrote:
Tobunga,
I hear ya. I've been slacking off lately. However, I am at work on the first episode of the 2010, it will be an Ernie Menehune episode. I also wanna do an all Gene Rains episode, a Bossa Nova episode and Joe Banks wants to guest host too, so I got some stuff in the works. I just need to get my lazy ass out of the hammock and in front of the mic.

OK, I posted a request for new episodes half a month ago, so we're up to a MONTH AND A HALF with no new episodes! Quit holdin' out on us, man! We're dyin' out here! And you're tantalizing us with descriptions of new episodes to anticipate!

Nah, take yer time, I know yer a busy guy...

But seriously, make with the new episodes...

Not to put any pressure on you or anything...

See?!? You are making me quite schizo with no new Quiet Village... Help me DigiTiki, you're my only hope...

Great new episode Mark!

Thanks for helping to promote ALOHA spirit through the music of Ernie Menehune.

He is truly a national treasure!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 344 replies