Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Quiet Village podcast

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 344 replies

Thank all of you for the emails! I've got quite a few responses from the Japanese show (Episode 4)! I guess that really stuck a chord with you guys. I'm off to Florida for Hukilau. I Episode 5 will be a Hukilau feature!!! Stay tuned!

Just got back from Maui and these podcasts provided the soundtrack for the trip. I listened to them all while sipping Mai Tais by the pool/beach. Great production, great interviews and great music. Couldn't have put together a better playlist if I tried. Keep it up and THANK YOU!

Just found out about this podcast - can't wait to download it when I get home tonight!

D

Just got back from Hukilau 08 with some great stuff!!! Episode 5 is already in the works!

Been listening to the podcasts for the last couple of weeks. Great stuff! Love how the album art and photos change for each song or interview. Really fantastic work.

Looking (hearing) forward to the Hookie Dookie show!

On 2008-06-19 22:07, Numatiki wrote:
Been listening to the podcasts for the last couple of weeks. Great stuff! Love how the album art and photos change for each song or interview. Really fantastic work.

Aloha, how do I download or listen to previous episodes?

[ Edited by: QuietVillage 2008-07-03 01:48 ]

You can download them from this link:

http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=55821

On 2008-07-03 07:00, 420greg wrote:

You can download them from this link:

http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=55821

Sweet! Ta Greg! :)

D

Episode 5 is up and running folks! This is a special Hukilau 2008 edition with interviews, music from the performers and TONS of photos. You're gonna wanna be sure to view the cover artwork in iTunes when you play this one. There are even some killer blueprint details of the Mai-Kai and Mai-Kais that were planned but never built!!!! Enjoy

PODCAST 5 Is amazing! Very well done. Loved the sets, loved the music, loved the interviews, and the news (!) - and photos! Great job! Best one yet!

(I can't believe I missed the Tiki Yaki O playing at the Mai Kai!)

R U doing a Tiki Oasis Podcast, I hope?!?!?

D

Thanks Tiki Shark! I'm hoping to do an Oasis podcast too. If not, I'm at least hoping to get some interviews of people for future episodes.

T

Loved this. Hearing the Hukilau audio and seeing all the photos really gave me that feeling of being there again.

Awesome !

Man, I miss the Mai Kai.

D

Thanks Tikiyaki! Yeah, I loaded this episode down with tons of photos.

S

Ditto. I wish I could be at the Mai Kai every day! I'd be broke, but I'd be happy!

Digitiki, this really was an excellent episode. Hearing it start out with "We're goin' to Hukilau" over the broadcast voice of the flight attendant was so exciting - it really captures the feeling I have on the plane when I'm headed to Ft. Lauderdale! :D The episode has great tunes, great photos, great history, and is a wonderful representation of what the Hukilau is. It makes me all the more glad that we haven't lost this incredible treasure of an event and our Mecca, the Mai Kai!

If any of you haven't subscribed to this podcast yet, do it NOW. You will love it.

Suzanne

D

Suzanne, Thanks so much for the kind words! I;m glad you like it! This one was really fun to put together with all the pictures and stuff.

Hey DigiTiki,

You got yerself a fan all the way from Singapore too! Love the episodes, love the pictures- obviously a lot of effort was put into, especially LOVE the intro splices and dices! (the stewardess one -ahem, flight attendant, was downright tiki-power) :wink:

Once again, MASSIVE MAHALO from our this part of the world...

You didn't happen to cover the Tiki Oasis event as well, did ya? :D

I find myself listening to all of these episodes over and over again!

The Hukilau episode is REALLY appreciated!

Can't wait for more.

Wooohooooo~! Episode SIX is out!

... Thanks Tikiyaki!

I'm not a regular on the music board but I'm so glad I popped in and found this thread and your great podcasts.... love the mix of music and visuals... great stuff!

D

Thanks Quiet Village (love the name) & Sasquatch (love that name too!!) I'm glad you like the podcast. I actually was considering doing a full on Oasis podcast too, but the Hukilau episode took so darn long to put together and I was actually helping out with the vending coordinating at this year's Oasis, so I didn't get to record as much as I really would have liked. So I'm not sure if I'll be able to do an Oasis episode. However, I do have some really cool stuff coming up including an interview with Robb Hamel (the awesome velvet painter) and some other cool interviewees lined up in the near future!

Mark

Niceeee.... we'll do with whatever remnants we can get our grubby hands on from your coverage of TO8.... :D Im still swirling from the Hukilau episode.... Thank the Tiki Gods for podcast and DigiTiki(also love your nick!)!

S

Some of the artwork of the album covers in this episode is spectacular. How gorgeous! Great episode, too. Always looking forward to the next one!

Suzanne

D

Ok, so I have to ask this question: How the heck do I get my podcast on iTunes?
I've tried submitting it 3 times and it has been regected...of course they don't ever say why. But now I can't submit the URL anymore. Does anyone have any advise?

D

Episode 7 up and running as of last night. This is an episode I call "Futurexotica" as it focuses on modern exotica and tunes that could be considered as modern exotica or could fit in a set list back to back with traditional exotica. Its a slight departure from the vintage tunes I usually program, but I hope everyone will enjoy it.

B

Absolutely loving the new podcast! Thanks for introducing me to Waterbone, what great music!
Cheers

Thanks DigiTiki for part 2 of episode 8!!! :)

D

QV,
Thanks a lot for the kind words! Yes, I wanted to put the shout out that Robb Hamel is interviewed on Episode 8 and I must say, he really got into the nitty gritty of velvet painting! Enjoy!

JB

I'm a huge fan of the Quiet Village Podcast! Mahalo for the "shout out" Digitiki!

T

I think you should try and get Marty Lush to do a little Booze related segment in your podcasts. You'd probably have to do it from the bar, cos' that's where he lives. Maybe some drink tips, recipes, or some other booze related tid bits....and of course, a classic one-liner or 2.

I know him, so I might be able to hook it up :wink:

On 2008-10-02 08:45, tikiyaki wrote:
I think you should try and get Marty Lush to do a little Booze related segment in your podcasts. You'd probably have to do it from the bar, cos' that's where he lives. Maybe some drink tips, recipes, or some other booze related tid bits....and of course, a classic one-liner or 2.

You know, I love the Quiet Village podcasts quite a bit..but I never made the Marty Lush connection until the Squid/TO show at Kona 2 weeks ago. I'm a little slow on the uptake I guess. I guess that explains how the Quiet Village got "Bachelor No. 2" before anyone else did :D

T

On 2008-10-03 07:52, Jason Wickedly wrote:

On 2008-10-02 08:45, tikiyaki wrote:

You know, I love the Quiet Village podcasts quite a bit..but I never made the Marty Lush connection until the Squid/TO show at Kona 2 weeks ago. I'm a little slow on the uptake I guess. I guess that explains how the Quiet Village got "Bachelor No. 2" before anyone else did :D

What "connection" are you speaking of ?

Besides....Bachelor #1 was on the show, and yes there will be a 2 and 3.

DigiTiki, I'm looking forward to the next episode already! :D

Love the Rob Hamel interview! Who's next, Sam Gambino? Crazy Al?? Gecko??? SHAG????!!!

All on my wish list.

D~

Really enjoyed the last two shows alot. Wonderful stuff! I would respectfully request they you mix in some "new" exotica in every show. I love the classic exotica, but I'm always hunting for new exotica music, and your hunting seems much better than mine! Thanks for a great show - it's perfect to listen to while I paint - (even on regular canvas).

Mahalo plenty!

Great Stuff!

I'm absolutely loving these shows.

I've noticed you almost seem apologetic when you have a lot of talking, don't be, you're a great interviewer, and I'd subscribe even if your show was just interviews in the Tiki community!

If you feel your show should be more strictly music related, than just have two podcasts!!! But seriously, I think that last episode with the Robb Hamel interview was outstanding, it was a great mix of music, and interview.

D

THanks Tiki SHark & Granite!!
Shark-I agree, I do want to start mixing in the new and old stuff together
Granite--Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you don't mine me rambling on. Its just that I get these play lists together and I have all these great tunes that I want to sqeeze in and then I realize how short an hour really is.

I've got a few really exciting interviews lined up and I hope they pan out.

Thank you for listening!! keep those ideas comin'!

Okay, now you got me listening to modern music and wondering if it's really exotica music that's evolved beyond what we thought exotica was. Like, this may be crazy, but I swear that the new Nine Inch Nails has some strange exotica feeling to it. Industrial Exotica? You listen and tell me I'm crazy. Listen to NIN Ghosts tracks 6, 15, 17, 21.

Dear Digitiki~
I've heard the story about Arthur Lyman's album "Taboo 2": That it was recorded in Honolulu after hours in the Kaiser Aluminum Dome night club. Sometimes recording went all night. So, when the morning sun hits the dome at sunrise the dome heats and expands and makes noise. These noises are reputed to be on two of the tracks on Taboo 2. I have this album on CD, and I can't find these mysterious noises.

Can you talk about this on your program and point out the dome sounds?

Love da podcast.
Aloha -
B~

The Gentle People should be in there sumwhere in ep. 8.... Space tiki.

Anyways, onto ep. NINE!!!! Gimme gimme gimme...

Episode Nine - what a treat! thanks for the cool tunes!

Soothing tunes to help me get through a ruff day... Suave & Sweet. Thanks again DigiTiki!

D

Tiki Shark,
Yes, I have heard that story and I'm sure it is true. Another thing was that Jeff Chenault told me that they often recorded all night and into the morning hours and that on one recording (he didn't say which one) you can hear a large delivery truck go by. I also remember hearing what sounded like boxes being unloaded or dropped on the floor, almost as if there was a delivery going on at the Hilton. That may have been the sound you were talking about. Either way, yes that would make an interesting side thing. I will have to do some critical listening to my Lyman recording to find some and do a segment on that.

Also, if anyone knows of specific tunes that these "outside" sounds are heard, please let me know!!!!

I need more Quiet Village Please!!!

This is my favorite podcast!!!!
Thanks and keep up the great job...

S

Nice job with Episode 10. Fun artwork and great tunes!

Suzanne

Digitiki

Another very enjoyable podcast filled with outstanding music-thank you. Hopefully interest in Les Baxter's music, helped kept alive by Keith Pawlak, The Quiet Village and others might result in a release of more Les Baxter music on cd similar to what we saw with Arthur Lyman.
I have the audacity of hope...:D

Aloha Digitiki --

Thanks for a great Xmas show (Episode 11).

I have an 'outrigger pic of the day' feature on my blog, and I'd like to show your cover pic and give the podcast a plug.

EDIT: OK, I found the album cover online.

Aloha,

Kalai Wa'a

Kill-Devil Club Count: 97/97

[ Edited by: Kālai Waʻa 2008-12-10 16:14 ]

...Outstanding episode 10... checked out the Arizona Uni site on your recommendation while listening. Perfect!

I'm off to check episode 11! 8)

Great X-mas show Digi-tiki
and thanks so much for the surf tunes.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 344 replies