The Gallery of Regrettable Tiki Paint Jobs

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies

Japanese Moai.

At my local "Tropicana" restaunt

Awesome thread!!

PP

S

On 2013-05-15 16:23, Pele Paul wrote:

Actually, the second one may well be the original PNG paint.

On 2013-05-16 09:19, Swanky wrote:

On 2013-05-15 16:23, Pele Paul wrote:

Actually, the second one may well be the original PNG paint.

Here are three Abelam figures that Leroy just made and they are for sale at Oceanic Arts.

AT

This ones been haunting me for years as it's just across the street from my regular surf break.
I talked to the guy who painted it for the owner who runs a surf school out of the building and he was SOOOO proud of his work that I couldn't bring myself to shoot holes in his psyche for this regrettable paint job on what appears to be a very nicely carved Tiki.
They have a water pipe strapped to it's back and it's being used as an outdoor shower for the customers to rinse off after their lessons.

HT

That is a travesty.

O

I don't have pics, but the only Tikis for sale in my area are 100 miles away, and I refuse to buy them due to either being airbrushed, having Rolling Stones tongues, buck teeth, or a combination. Terrible disgrace....

This was taken at the Weekend in Polynesia Festival in Anaheim this morning. They did have regular, unpainted, tikis up on stage. None for sale.

TT

Here is an interesting one from an Estate Sale coming up at https://www.estatesales.net/CA/South-Pasadena/91030/3687201

tahitian cannibal pole repainted as Native American totem pole

Looks like they took a Tahitian Cannibal Trio pole, figuring it must be a Native American Totem pole, and added the bird to the top and then gave the entire thing a new paint job with a white wipe-away finish.

Maybe someone with more ambition than me can get this away from them and strip it and refinish it correctly? If you do, please show us some progress shots. :)

I thought about putting this in the Collection of Cannibals thread but the paint job tipped the scale so I decided to put it here...

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies