Name:Redwood
Type:restaurant
Street:316 W 2nd St
City:Los Angeles
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:(213) 680-2600

Description:
Pirate Themed Bar and restaurant owned by the people who use to own the BigFoot Lodge. Not alot of Tiki, but there are a few here and there...Lots of Glass floats, fishnets, and other nautical decor. Food is great...seafood, burgers etc.
Not necessarily Tiki, but a very cool place to hang, Didn;t get to try the drinks, but the food iand vibe are both worth checking out.

If you know the BigFoot Lodge, then you'll know that the owners go all out on decor. Definitely not cheezy...they did it right.

Pretty conveniently locatied in Downtown LA.

downtown and convenient just dont seem to go together to me.

but I will still check it out.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

H

They redecorated this place to a pirate theme, it used to be a neighborhood bar. It is fun and in day time they get some of the old timers visiting , night time it is happening. They have great vegetarian meals. I like this place, it has a nice bar and it is very pirate oriented.

On 2008-05-17 21:53, hiltiki wrote:
They have great vegetarian meals. I like this place, it has a nice bar and it is very pirate oriented.

Finally! After having sports bars, gay bars, after-work-crowd bars and other such minority-specific hang outs it was about time that VEGETARIAN PIRATES get their own place! :D

H

Actually Sven my dear friend, this bar is pretty macho and beefy. I just happen to remember ordering food and being told that they carried some of vegetarian items on their menu cause either the owner or the chef was indeed a vegetarian. I know this is way too much powder puff information but you will never know this info might come in handy at some point.........Maybe....8)

I'm sorry, I just had to pick up on that last "...pirate oriented" :D
I like Bobby's bars, he really makes an effort in terms of theming, with the Big Foot, the Little Cave, and the Lucky Tiki, so this must be quite a cool place, I am sure!

T

On 2008-05-17 12:54, bigtikidude wrote:
downtown and convenient just dont seem to go together to me.

but I will still check it out.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Well, DUH ! if ya live in ANAHEIM, it's not convenient. For downtown LA, it's location is convenient,.

Hey there, just a quick note- The Redwood Bar is not owned by the folks that brought us the Bigfoot Lodge, The Lucky Tiki, Saints and Sinners and The Little Cave, but it IS still a GREAT bar and should definitely be checked out!

The decor is fantastic and the spot has a lot of potential!

I was in communication with the owners/staffers before they opened and they asked me for ideas for the bartenders 'uniforms'. I was really pushing for pin-up sailor type outfits for the lady bartenders. . .I don't think they went with that, but hey really should have! Hey, I tried. :wink:

I have only been there a handful of times since they opened, and like I said the place has a really good atmosphere and a lot of potential. Live music and DJ, food, dance floor, Drinks were good- they will only get better with time, and the more TC input the better, so go check it out yourself! :)

T

Suzy, what a great idea! Wish they had gone with that. Nevertheless, I enjoyed my recent visit to the Redwood bar.

The last time I was in LA I checked out Seven Grand bar downtown. Good cocktails and a very friendly and knowledgeable bartender. They also have the second biggest whiskey selection on the west coast (after Bourbon and Branch in SF). I went on a Sunday night so I don't know what it's like when its crowded. You may have a less pleasant experience on a Friday or Saturday.

I have also heard good things about the drinks at Doheny bar but have not been.

D
David posted on Thu, Nov 20, 2008 3:05 AM

Really good restaurants you propose here! I saw a report about eating out in LA you should check it out as well. Here are some recommendations

A

I'm confused by the name. Why is a pirate themed bar called Redwood? That sounds like a lumberjack bar. Better names would be Bucket O'Blood or Yo Ho Ho or Blackbeard's Hideaway or Treasure Chest or .....

On 2008-11-20 15:41, arriano wrote:
I'm confused by the name. Why is a pirate themed bar called Redwood? That sounds like a lumberjack bar. Better names would be Bucket O'Blood or Yo Ho Ho or Blackbeard's Hideaway or Treasure Chest or .....

Yes I agree with that too,
but now knowing that they are having really good bands playing there.
and Great food and decent drinks.
I will surely be going back there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 11 replies