Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau exclusives from Basement Kahuna

Pages: 1 7 replies

Just to let folks know I will be making 6 bone jewelry pieces for Hukilau delivery. There will be three Maori pieces, two Marquesan pieces, and a Marquesan bone hair ornament. These pieces are among my best work yet in bone. I'll show you the first two...The top photo is a stylized depiction of three intertwined Manaia, 3 1/2 x 1 1/2. Manaia were protection spirits by nature; this piece has a strong mana. It has seven inlaid teeth and eyes and 25 openwork points. It comes with an adjustable hand-braided sinew cord, priced at 225.00, delivered by yours truly to you at Hulikau. The second piece depicts the triumph of "the nature of Tamahae" over "the nature of Kanohi". The virtuous top figure represents Tamahae, the fork-tongued figure he is standing on represents Kanohi. Kanohi and Tamahae were rival warriors who once fought a duel to a draw, and, praising each other's skill and prowess became compatriots and agreed never to attack one another again. But Kanohi violated this agreement when he joined a war party on it's way to attack Tamahae's Pa (village/fortress). Tamahae called Kanohi out, saying "Your stone has fallen, Kanohi, but mine stands steadfast". Heretofore whenever Kanohi is depicted in a carving he is shown in a grotesque fashion with two tongues, the symbol of a traitor. The carving has 9 inlays. This piece also features a hand-braided sinew adjustable cord and is priced at 195.00 for Hukilau delivery. More to come!! Looking forward to seeing you all. Kia Ora, BK

Here is the third Hukilau piece so far, a Marquesan Tiki Ivi Poo hair ornament in bone. It is signed on the inside (except for the cowbone this is very close to the original and could be easily sold as authentic hence!). It is Appx 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1". I have only ever carved two others; one is owned by our favorite Theramin-playing Parisian Virani and the other sits in the house of Sven Kirsten. $190.00. A good one of these takes about 9 1/2 hours to carve!

T

Just sent a pm!

V
virani posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2008 8:43 AM

you won't be disapointed by the Kahuna's artwork !

By the way, BK, I still need to ask you to make me a replica of the marquesan tiki Picasso owned.

Tikiracer gets the Tiki Ivi Poo!!

M

I remember the first time I walked into your room many Hukliau's ago and looked at the items you made and thought to myself--this guy is a great carver! Looking forward to seeing you again this year.

Likewise..Man, that room-to-room vending day was some of the most fun I've had at Hukilau!

Looks like I'll have a Marquesan piece made with reclaimed antique tortoise shell as well!

Pages: 1 7 replies