Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Central - The Year In Pictures

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

A6, I second Bong. Option 3 sounds like the best one.

M

Remember that there is already a mug/menu/postcard database at http://www.tikiroom.net that Mike has been working on for some time. I don't think we need another one.

It will be great to have a database of all these events and what not online. Recipes is something that we've talked about before and would be excellent to have. Here's two other things I'd like to see on this site.

1. City Guide:

We need a one stop shop for all the times that people post "I'm going to (insert city here) and what tiki stuff is there to do and see?" We're always dredging up old posts and repeating stuff. Now here's the important thing: We don't want to step on JTs feet and his new book. I don't know how detailed the book will be, but I think members will be buying it anyway, so I don't think this would eat into sales. Plus we could have an Amazon link to his book on that page, which would then throw a little revenue to this new site. What do people think?

1. Pidgin Glossary!

I was talking to hulahula about this last week. Haoles need help. There's one here: http://www.e-hawaii.com/fun/pidgin/, but maybe we should have one that's tiki specific. Gecko/hula hula: you're on the job.

-martin

I am in complete agreement with you about the look and feel and unmoderated uploading. However, Hanford already has all the graphics, fonts, info etc.. etc. It may be easier and faster for him to set it up. I am not tryiing to pass this off on Hanford, but I would need to get all the T.C collateral from him and basically copy the look and feel of TC. There really isnt much design or graphic work to be done if that is the case Hanford has already done most of it (I dig the background tiles) Sounds to me like a couple buttons for navigation and a background and the rest is member contributed. I guess I was a little off kilter with my thoughts on how this site was going to play out. I didn't realize that A6 is generously able to provide all these uploading capabilities.
I am still willing to contribute in whatever way I can.

Chongolio

I didn't read all of this thread, so forgive me if I am re-introducing a suggestion. Maybe a person could write in to Big Bro and ask him questions and he could respond to them on the site. "Dear Sveny"

L
Luki posted on Thu, Mar 13, 2003 11:08 PM

Um, ok, so, the domain is working and ready...now what?? :)

A6

Do we a resident webpage guru? We can start with a photo album that allows us to upload pics. We can create different photo albums like:

Home Tiki Bars
Tiki Related Projects
How-To/Instructional Area
Club Events
etc.

We can use the same software TikiHula uses at tikiroom.net for the mug gallery.

A6 I am still here waiting patiently for somebody to figure out what this site is going to encompass. I am also curious if Hanford wants to incorporate the work he is doing into this project. I think everybody is a little busy with all the crawls taking place. I have thoughts on what I would like to see on the site. I would like to see pages that spotlight the amazing talent we have here (music, carvers, painters...etc) Articles on Outstanding homebars, the story of Shecky, An "ask Sveny column" an interactive pin the tail on Baxdog game, and a page chock-full-o-links. Seriously, I think something really cool could be done that compliments and documents T.C. and the peepo that call it home.
That is all,
Chongolio

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-03-14 11:56 ]

E

On 2003-03-14 11:26, PolynesianPop wrote:
Do we a resident webpage guru? We can start with a photo album that allows us to upload pics.

Yeah, who's the scripting/database guru here? There should be a way for us to have an online form that people can hit a "Browse..." button to select images from their hard drive and load 'em to thumbnail galleries etc. at the site.

Or if we want to avoid all that, we can just have users upload the images to the webmaster via FTP, or attach 'em to emails in Zips (this means everyone must learn to use FTP and WinZip or Stuffit if on Mac), and the webmaster can make up those spiffy Photoshop gallery framesets and whack it all together...or...?

I know I'm speaking Greek to some here, and the Queen's English to others...just wanted to add some thoughts. And admit I've been sitting here uselessly on my duff watching everyone else volunteer to work on it. I will be very happy indeed to take on part of the job if needed, such as galleries etc. My email is available for viewing.

aloha,
em

Only just read this massive post, but I'm keen to add the European Tiki stuff from my site. I'm fed up with dealing with my own site and it's shitty pop-up ads anyway! An easy-to-upload 'Blogger' type site would make life a whole lot easier and spread the Word to a far wider audience.

Trader Woody

A few things:

Mike over at tikiroom.net has a tiki gallery that (correct me if I'm wrong here) anyone can add to:

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/index.php

I don't want to duplicate his efforts. But if we're talking about something where you could post whatever you want, beyond the scope of mike's site, then this is worth moving forward with.

I already have the same gallery software Mike is using, and I've tested it out (and promplty forgot the password! ha!). Although it works, I was a little disappointed with the customizability apsects of it. But if the goal is to provide an easy way to add and browse user photos, and to provide an alternative method to Shutterfly, I think we could get by with the Gallery.

It shouldn't take me long to reset that gallery and get it working again. But again, I don't want to duplicate Mike's efforts at the gallery above.

Thoughts please ...

~Hanford

Hanford,
I don't think you'd need to worry about duplicating Mike's efforts. I think what we're talking about is something similar to what TC had when it was at Yahoo Clubs - a photo section. We can include a link to Mike's site for the tiki mug/collectibles portion.

L
Luki posted on Sat, Mar 15, 2003 12:01 AM

On 2003-03-14 13:08, emspace wrote:

On 2003-03-14 11:26, PolynesianPop wrote:
Do we a resident webpage guru? We can start with a photo album that allows us to upload pics.

Yeah, who's the scripting/database guru here? There should be a way for us to have an online form that people can hit a "Browse..." button to select images from their hard drive and load 'em to thumbnail galleries etc. at the site.

The scripting/database guru would be me. I just want to make sure I have a clear idea of everything that we want to do so that the data architecture is appropriate from the get-go rather than going back a bunch of times and re-doing stuff.

As with any dynamic web project, this will be a "living, breathing" experience, but a little planning goes a long way. :)

In any case, it seems like not just a picture repository, but an information repository that may include not only pictures, but text, PDF files and more.

A6

Okay, I got the gallery up and running here:

https://tikicentral.com/tikicentral/archives/

It's not too bad. For some reason I can't find options to skin the first page, but it looks like with some PHP coding I can trick it out. I think I could probably add in some code to give you the BBcode for each image so imbedding it in a message is easy. That could be cool.

This is something we had been trying to incorporate off-and-on since we moved Tiki Central off of Yahoo. Right now it's set up so that anyone can add photos to it without needing an account or anything.

This obviously isn't the solution for the multimedia uploader that some people have been talking about (where you could upload sounds, movies, etc). But this will be a good alernative to Shutterfly (the current "official" solution).

What do you guys think?

By the way, I think we can try this out a little bit and if it seems like it will work I'll incorporate it into the rest of Tiki Central so it's easy to get to.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-03-16 04:01 ]

I just checked it out. I'll try posting a pic soon. You're right, beats havin' to go to Shutterfly everytime. Thanks for setting this up.

Hanford, this looks great! This really makes TC feel like a community now. Are we still going to be able to post pics based on subject (Home Tiki Bars, Events, etc.)?

E

Great job everyone! :)
aloha, em

On 2003-03-16 09:57, PolynesianPop wrote:
Hanford, this looks great! This really makes TC feel like a community now. Are we still going to be able to post pics based on subject (Home Tiki Bars, Events, etc.)?

yeah. I'd say that right now the archives are in beta-test. I'm going to have to do some tweaking with the code and figure out what catagories we need.

I guess we could do:

Events
Home Tiki Bars
Tiki Places

Let's hear some suggestions. Again, I don't want to duplicate the efforts of what's going on over at tikiroom.net.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-03-16 19:27 ]

L
Luki posted on Sun, Mar 16, 2003 6:58 PM

Ok, so, I guess we're not doing this anymore then, huh? :)

As for suggestions for these areas, see earlier in this thread.

A6

On 2003-03-16 18:58, A6Louie wrote:
Ok, so, I guess we're not doing this anymore then, huh? :)

Heh, well, what "this" is has morphed several times in the course of this Topic. I think it started off as a yearbook.

Ever since I moved Tiki Central from Yahoo to my server, I wanted to get an Image gallery up. There were several stalls (including the original programmer unexpectedly and quite tragically dying :( ). This thread kinda spurred me to revisit that gallery software, which was faster, and perhaps an overall better bet than trying to code it from scratch.

That being said, there's many things discussed in this Topic that the image gallery doesn't address: a printed book, a calendar, a CD-ROM archive, a multimedia (sound, movies, documents) gallery. I never felt this thread came to a consenus as to what "the" project may be, but I don't think this image gallery should derail any of those ideas.

~Hanford

https://tikicentral.com/tikicentral/archives/

I've added a bunch of pictures. Check 'em out.
Mahalo,
Al

Nice pics Al. Thanks for sharing. That pic of Sven on Splash Mountain looked a lot like one I have of me. Humans aren't meant to go straight down. I will never do that ride again, ever.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-03-18 08:10 ]

Wow! I love it.

Seeing the picture of all those smiling faces makes me smile...(that and want to drink heavily).

So what happened? Where did the archive go?

I had to remove the Archive, it was very difficult to support. The software I was using was off-the-shelf and a hacker used it to hack Tiki Central. It was also hard to manage users, since it didn't tie into Tiki Central's Member List at all. Sorry to everyone for this.

On my todo list is a better way to support photo uploading ... perhaps in 2006?!

~Hanford

Pages: 1 2 71 replies