Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki on television

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 23, 2013 3:01 PM

(Damned Tiki Central double post!! Oh well. GROG posted this on the other thread --Tikis on TV)

American Dad.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-03-23 15:04 ]

NICE again Grog, good work and great captures. Me like!

From this week's episode of Shotime's Shameless:

Buzzy Out!

Easter Island Head cheese appetizer on this week's episode of Raising Hope.

DC

the Hawaiian mad men season premier is on again at 10 central. with Tikis.

Yup, Shot on location with Tikis, Hawaiian Shirts & Poi.....

Just saw it, only 15 min. :-/

But looked good as usual for this show.
Keeping everything vintage looking.

Jeff btd

Big night for Hawaii on TV all have tikis but I don't have a pic. of a tiki from MAD MEN but here's a wedding on Waikiki Beach shot.

Gabriel Iglesias Comedy special on Comedy Central with lots of big tikis on a Hawaiian stage. Here are two of them.

And from Adult Swim of the Cartoon Network here's a shot from LOITER SQUAD which also aired tonight:

A Tiki Idol spoof from the BRADY BUNCH. Can't make it out well but the "Lucky Tiki" is a pendant around the guy's neck

From Los Angeles Magazine.
Mad Men Premiere: Don Draper Gets Lei'd
It's actually an article on TV shows making the trip to Hawaii.
http://www.lamag.com/laculture/culturefilesblog/2013/04/08/mad-men-premiere-don-draper-gets-leid

Good find TikiLB. Thanks for sharing. There are tons of special Hawaii episodes throughout TV's history. Nice that writer brought it to our attention.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-04-09 15:31 ]

On 2012-10-25 15:32, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Here is a re-post of some of those pictures
for future posterity, The new season of "Madmen" should pickup in late 1967
or early 1968, The same year Hawaii 5-0 premiered.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-10-25 15:35 ]

But wait! there was this post from October of last year
now kneel before ZOD!

I just finished watching Grimm this evening and in one shot of next week's preview it looks like they have a Pufferfish Vessen that spits neurotoxin and turns people into zombies. At least that's what it looks like to me. If someone else can confirm or deny, please do.

Here's the best screen grab I could get online:

He's wearing a hat and getting on a bus and spitting green stuff at people. Sorry about the play arrow...

[ Edited by: Trader Tom 2013-05-08 00:32 ]

Filming Dexter at Don the Beachcombers (Huntington Beach, CA)

Maybe that will help DTB get some new business. Fans of Dexter like to visit the 'Dexter and Rita' house in my neighborhood.

Seen on a new Pep Boys commercial:

Niceeee TikiGreg and great screen shot.

William Shatner has a great shirt on this episode of Burke's Law.

The 70's filmed in Hawaii game show The Diamond Head Game has an episode on You Tube
with tikis in front of the contestants that have eyes that light up and one on Bob Eubanks (nice shirt) podium.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn9-yvUb6k8

Happy Days - S1 E11 - "Because She's There"

Ralph Malph's basement costume party, with Tiki Bob mugs on the wall and some rattan furniture:

Nice catch G-bird!

D
Dagg posted on Sat, Aug 31, 2013 6:52 AM

Tiki Central on TV

Flea market flip on HGTV

N

Here's one from Dragnet, a LA tiki bar with all the charm of a low cost basement home bar- bamboo, thatch, leis, travel posters and paper mache pineapples no tikis but boiled eggs on sale for $.10 a piece on the bar.

This Tiki news to all Canadians:

This coming Monday, me and my home/Tiki museum are gonna appear in one of three segments of "Extreme Collectors" on the SLICE channel at 9:00 p.m.:

http://www.slice.ca/Shows/EpisodeGuide.aspx?Root_Title_ID=299265

I could not find it listed on their site, here is why, according to the production company:

"I'm afraid the Slice website is a little unclear. The Sunday dates/times you're referring to are airtimes for repeats of episodes that have already premiered. For some reason, the website doesn't list the times your show is airing if it hasn't had its premiere yet. Your episode is indeed airing next Monday at 9 or 9:30 pm."

I would love to hear how it turned out from some Canadian viewers. I hope it's not as bad as some of these type of shows, though it does end with the usual Antiques Roadshow-type "Guess what your collection is worth? -- Whoaaa!" -which I could care less about.

I was hoping they would take the opportunity and use me as an example of how collecting can actually go beyond hoarding and single-track minded value amassment, by showing how for me it lead to history research and book writing, which lead to more collectors and an eventual blossoming of the pop culture...but these shows all have their format, and one has to fit in.

I trust that visually they did a pretty nice job, coming back for detail shots for a second day.

I'll try to catch it at my folks' place.

The Slice schedule lists 8 episodes airing back to back on Monday evening, but none of them are "Sparks Fly" - the episode you're in.

Note that the times listed on the website are Eastern time.

Cool. I'll try to PVR that. If anyone knows how I can then post it afterwards let me know.

UPDATE:

It looks like, even according to the PVR, that this episode is not running on Monday.

[ Edited by: slacks ferret 2013-10-11 12:40 ]

Well, too bad if the production company doesn't even know. But looking at the "Plastic Paradise" dilemma, it would not surprise me.

So Slacks and Sweet Daddy, my trusty Canadian Tiki agents - the Tiki collector episode was a no-show Monday night?

Sparks Fly
Monday, October 21, 2013
@ 6:30 PM ET/3:30 PM PT

Monday, October 21, 2013
@ 9:30 PM ET/6:30 PM PT

Tuesday, October 22, 2013
@ 2:30 AM ET/11:30 PM PT

I'll try to catch one of these airings but I have no way of recording it.

Thanks! The production company promised me they'll send me a CD of it after it aired. If that happens (and if it's not a totally embarrassing scene :) ), I'll make copies of it. Or put it on U-tube...

My daughter loves Phineas and Ferb and I noticed some Tiki theme stuff going on. I don't think I have seen it on here before. I think there may in fact be two episodes with a Tiki Theme. One that I saw where they turn their backyard into a Island paradise and one were they take a vacation. These are just images I pulled from a google search, I'm sure there are more out there.

I caught the "Sven" episode of Extreme Collectors on Monday. Four collectors/collections are profiled on each half-hour show, so there's not a lot of depth or lingering shots. And as Sven mentioned, the host gives valuations - of a few individual items and the collection as a whole. I don't think any of the four collectors on that episode where particularly concerned with the valuations - they seemed only politely interested. The segment was pretty decent - nothing glaringly wrong that I caught - and lots of eye candy.

Good to hear. Eye candy is what Tiki is all about. And re the evaluations: Most of them seemed over-valued to me, but viewers want the "Wow!" effect. And I wasn't gonna tell'em " I think you are a couple of grand over on this..." If it's on TV, it must be true! :D

I thought that the collectors were probably low-balling the amounts they spent on their collections.

Sven's appearance on Extreme Collectors was a good segment. Short, but good. Here's a super crappy (as in: I video recorded my TV with my iphone) quality video I uploaded to Youtube. It's bad quality, but you'll get the gist.

http://youtu.be/UAwgDL2rHlw

I'll take this down if bigbro objects to my posting it here.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2013-10-24 08:52 ]

Ouch...it's semi-painful, but I appreciate your efforts of capturing it, so leave it up for now. The squeezed image and the overexposed parts are the result of filming it off the TV screen, I understand.

But as a cameraman myself, I just hate those quick wide-angle whip-pans and zap-zooms that don't allow you to actually BEHOLD the objects at hand. You'd think that a show about collectors would also be FOR collectors who would actually want to SEE the collectibles! But an obsessive fear of being boring makes these kind of shows cut away from a shot as soon as you get to an object, or linger anywhere, they even sped up the nice dolly shots. It's not a music video for chrissakes! :roll:

I am glad I got to see the result, but I am not sure if it's an OK piece or embarrassing in its hyperbole - hearing the host repeat the term "Tiki" that much could actually turn one off the word. :D

"I just hate those quick wide-angle whip-pans and zap-zooms"

Ya I wanted to see yer stuff better Sven.
Was cool to see more of your house though.

I blame Michael Bay!

RD

I caught an old episode of Gidget a few weeks back on one of the retro stations on Cable TV.

Martin Milner (post Route 66 & pre Adam 12) played the "Great Kahuna" surfer who had a tiki shack on the beach Gidget (Sally Fields) hangs out at.

Here is the episode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1eH9BFFN00

Sally Fields looks pretty darn good. Too bad she became a nun the next season.

Hey, what's wrong with nuns !? :wink:

(Sorry - just had to react to that cue: This is me with the cast of the TV series I am currently shooting in Bavaria)

T

The Singing Nun - "Dominique" (1963)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHhyyRByuJ0

RD

If I remember correctly, didn't Gidget become a nun in the series finale?

Enough about shooting nuns now, I am sorry for the derail...

After "Hawaiian Eye" and "Adventures in Paradise" have received their due in Tiki history, how about this show:

Granted, in all the episodes I have seen so far on U-Tube, there is nary a peeky of a Tiki, but in terms of Polynesian pop history, this TV series is a great example of Pacific War Theater cuteyfication.

The shack (set) McHale's crew congregates in looks like this:

Shenanigans like this happen every now and then...

...and Ernest Borgnine sometimes dresses as a Beachcomber!:

Here's a nice exception to the lack-a-Tiki in the show, a Tiki (sort of) drinking fountain behind a bamboo bar that pours a Navy Grog (!) into coconut cups:

...to be found in this fun episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk52604Rzxw&list=PL5416444265A6551A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdDxDKryhPE&list=PL5416444265A6551A

"Mc Hale's Paradise Motel" !

And this episode all revolves around the recipe for a sensational "Chicken Polynesian":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt9BAAU--ks

I have not had the time to watch ALL of the episodes out there, perhaps there are more Tiki sightings to be made. It would seem this show is right up Pele Paul's (tag name here) alley. :D

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-10-27 09:36 ]

McHale's Navy was a fun show until season four when the moved the setting to Italy.

Here's a weird one I saw this morning on TV - Jake and the Never Land Pirates.

"Night of the Golden Pumpkin" - they had Tiki Trees!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRwsHHHY7us

Yeah, McHale's Navy is an awesome show...I have season one...but have not gone all the way through it. Now I am going to have to, and keep an eye out for that shack. The show is totally politically incorrect but I dig it any way. Presently I am watching hogan's heroes season one. Alas, no tiki...but there are "funny nazis"...! (and as a bonus I find myself looking more and more like Klink every day)

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2013-10-27 10:32 ]

I love Hollywood depictions of Nazis - in Hogan's Heroes and beyond! Funny how the Captain in McHale's Navy essentially played the part of Colonel Klink in Hogan's Heroes.

Lucas, isn't that "Paradise Motel" episode in Season 1 ?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies