Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki on television

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies

I am going to have to check on that when I get home....I bought the set but only watched the first pilot episode...intrigued!

There is a tiki bar in this one.
One of the sons takes grandpa into the "bar" (no booze)and there is a tiki that is
a good carving.
The Waltons: Season 6, Episode 3
The Recluse (29 Sep. 1977)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0743818/

Gotcha covered, Skip:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=38875&forum=1&start=0

One of them Tikis ended up at Pewee's Playhouse:

Here you go Sven

Ha! that's it!
I want that tiki on the floor.

Thanx Ron! Ask and you shall receive. Is that in the Voodoo episode?

That would be "The McHale Mob" episode

Yes tikis in McHale's Navy were rare. Maybe that's why I posted this gem earlier.

Like most of South Seas TV I am partial to episodes with faux native islanders involved. Chances of finding visual treasures are high. This episode involved the clichés of finding pearls in a lagoon with a native chief. Also Tiki Santos a real Polynesian plays a native on the left.

Thanks! That's a pretty big Tiki - and of course it stands by one of those pearl fishing lagoons, like they always used to do! :)

Can't say I can recognize its maker, looks like a studio hack job to me.

Quite a few tiki artists make skull mugs so I hope this is okay to post here. Does anyone recognize the handiwork? They remind me of PopTiki.

On last nights episode of Bones.

Just watched RACHAEL VS GUY CELEBRITY (2012-current) FOOD NETWORK Sea.3, Ep.2, Titled: “Leis in the Fray”, Aired: 01-13-14. Celebs: Vanilla Ice, Florence Henderson, Tiffiny, Penn Jillette, Herchel Walker, Chris Kattan. Typical Polynesian Pop food which is a bunch of Oriental pupus with a Thai, Chinese and Japanese influence. Tiki mugs, plastic leis and pineapples. Shot at Lee’s Hawaiian Islander in Lyndhurst, New Jersey.

lee's in TC: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20217&forum=2

Sorry press the wrong submit button, didn't attached these frames from the show above:

Note tiki behind Rachael:

Didn't get a shot with the Lee's green tiki mugs they used for the judges at the end.

While I'm typing this, watching a "Finding Bigfoot; Surf's Up Sasquatch" no they are not in Hawaii but Santa Cruz, CA with a Samoan host who saw the big ape/human. There will be a luau coming up. It originally aired last Nov.

Have to add these screen shots of "Finding Bigfoot"
Two Hawaiian friends from Kauai roast pig and play ukulele in the Santa Cruz forest. Trying to attrack the big ape. Boy are they stretching. Talk about "jumping the shark". Sorry no tikis, just fake tiki torches in the background.

Tiki Movies & Tiki TV @ southseascinema.org

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-01-13 21:35 ]

T

Boy Lee’s Hawaiian Islander was kinda on the party city side of tiki décor.

On 2013-10-28 18:15, creativenative wrote:
Yes tikis in McHale's Navy were rare. Maybe that's why I posted this gem earlier.

Like most of South Seas TV I am partial to episodes with faux native islanders involved. Chances of finding visual treasures are high. This episode involved the clichés of finding pearls in a lagoon with a native chief. Also Tiki Santos a real Polynesian plays a native on the left.

This looks like the same tiki as above, but without the top knot.

JG Wentworth "Hawaiian Luau" commercial now airing...

aloha, tikicoma

Haha!!!!!!! I do not know what to think about that J.G Wentwoth commercial. I just stared at it like I'm watching paint dry and going WTF??? The way they dubbed the voices is just wierd.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jan 16, 2014 4:55 PM

[ Edited by: GROG 2014-01-16 16:55 ]

T

On 2014-01-16 16:55, GROG wrote:

[ Edited by: GROG 2014-01-16 16:55 ]

Why edit when you can delete?

Yeah I just saw that commercial too...made me crack up.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jgwentworth

Hanalei right at the start of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g5xwJGaZPk

MN

Parks & Rec.

SNL tonight (3/9) actor sitting at vintage bamboo bar ,shelf in background with 6-8 mugs,2-3 tikis , a “working hula girl
‘lamp, a tiki mask behind the lamp, and a smattering of MCM furniture including the area rug. Cool cuz the skit was followed by the DW tiki commercial. Gonna have that Mai Tai after all. the name of the skit was "what are even doing?” Approx 31 minutes into the show.

Check it out.
Cheers

I was watching The Kids In The Hall season one (1989) last night and I saw what appeared to be a large Tiki on the roof of The Copa (a Toronto dance club of the 80s). I wasn't even sure I'd really seen it until I backed up the dvd and looked at the scene again, but sure enough, it looks like a large gold tiki statue.

I looked online to see if there were any photos, and all I found was this:

You can see it on the roof in the upper right hand corner.

According to the article, the owners also owned The Ports of Call, so maybe there's a connection there. The article says The Copa closed in 91 or 92. Today the site is a condo building.

Do any Toronto TCers remember this?

"I'm crushing your head"

One of my favorites was the episode of Tiny Toons called "Kon Ducki" Kinda poked a little fun at the Kon Tiki voyage. If you haven't checked it out, it is a good laugh.:)

PP

OMG that's too funny, love this thread!!!!

Route 66 Season 3
Episode called Poor Little Kangaroo Rat (1962)
Episode filmed at Marineland of the Pacific and Palos Verdes Estates, California
featuring Leslie Nielsen in a dramatic role (wow,this is an old show)

Tiki Bar scene.

But don't know if it's filmed on location at an actual bar or just a sound stage.

Saw a Tiki Bar in the preview for next weeks episode of Mad Men (looked like the one Tiki Farm
was selling a few years ago)

P

Lou. Lou has a tiki bar in his office on Mad Men. No one deserves a tiki bar in his office less than Lou.

On 2012-03-15 13:59, Trader Tom wrote:
Supernatural, season 7/episode 14, 2012, "Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie" has the brothers staying at the "Tiki Motel" and their room has hula wallpaper, rattan chairs, leopard print drapes, rock walls, and a small Tiki bar with a Tiki standing behind it.

A few more scenes of the Tiki Motel. This one had a few Tiki mugs.

The wallpaper and rattan chairs.

DC

SNL, Season 5, Episode 20 (1979-1980). Bill Murray as lounge-singer Nick "Lava" performing at "Trader Nick's" - a tiki bar decorated with Orchids of Hawaii masks and tiki mugs. Very tiki-savvy for the time, name-dropping cocktails like the Missionary's Downfall, Mai-Tai, Navy Grog and Fogcutter.

Here's a link to a youtube clip of the skit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peulXm2c0Mg

And here's a transcript (though they get some of the dialogue wrong where he sings about the drinks):
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/79/79tnick.phtml

Anyone have this season on DVD, so we could see a few screen-grabs?

Sabu

Sabu - that clip made my day. Thanks for posting it.

Route 66 Season 2
Episode called Between Hello and Goodbye (1962)
Episode filmed at Pacific Ocean Park, Venice, CA
featuring it's tikis

For Sabu some screen shots of SNL "Stairway to Heaven" skit featuring Bill Murray

Other SNL Tiki/South Seas images

Chris Farley doing the ritual good luck weird hula dance

Bobby Moynihan in his parents basement tiki bar in a recent episode that has been covered already here on TC

No tiki or Polynesian images but a pic of Billy Crystal as Buddy Young Jr. reviewing Don Ho's Blue Flame Restaurant

Screen shots of SCTV, the old rival of SNL in their famous "Polynesian Town" which has also been covered in TC. Here's John Candy as Johnny LaRue in his "Luau Room"

And finally Dan Aykroyd playing a TV evangelist named Jack the Lord with a giant church decorated in a South Seas motif. Hilarious and rare. Pre SNL days for Aykroyd and shot during his "Second City" days in Chicago (also pre SCTV).

This comedy project was edited later into MR. MIKES MONDO VIDEO which is a DVD one can find on the internet.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-08-12 03:47 ]

A new interior design show (Red Hot Design) had a tiki-themed episode called "Tiki Bar Brouhaha."
For whatever reason, this translated into much of the show revolving around the decision to include & build an 8' birdcage.
The only tikis in the episode where a few palm fronds painted with scowling tiki-ish faces and a surfboard painted with a "tiki totem" design.

Here you see one of the finer builds in the episode (the bamboo back bar) along with the questionable bird cage:

Here are some of the few tiki-like items in the episode:

A good example of the episode's tiki content is this clip:
http://www.fyi.tv/shows/red-hot-design/videos/how-to-tiki-theme-your-backyard

[ Edited by: Capt. R.H. Falernum 2014-08-21 08:54 ]

Anybody seen the Jimmy Fallon promo tonight during SNL? It was a parody on the infamous Tiki Bar scene in GOODFELLAS. The commercial tries to replicate the long handheld shot, introducing mob characters in the Bamboo Lounge. Although there are people in Aloha shirts and plastic leis, there is a big shortage of good tiki set dressing. Despite the set, the homage to this historic film and scene was cool to watch. If anyone can get images of this "Tonight Show" promo, please share. For sure NBC should air the promo just before airing the "Tonight Show" Monday through Friday.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-10-12 03:35 ]

Here's the YouTube link to the Jimmy Fallon 'Goodfellas' parody promo that 'Creativenative' mentions in the above post. Pretty fun.
Jimmy's Crew

Thanks LL.

Here are some comparison shots:
The real movie with the wait staff "What are you looking at!"

The orange hula skirted table lamps

The Promo

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-10-13 21:26 ]

Anyone see that tiki mug in the “Dawn” dish soap Commercial? I could make out the letters TAZ at the bottom but there were many more letters on both sides of Taz.
Nice mug-I Did not recognize it.
Cheers

J

Last night on "Vanderpump Rules" (don't judge) Stassi served a drink in her new apartment in a Trader Sam's Zombie Mug, which solicited a "what IS that?" from her friend.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2014-11-18 20:30 ]

Also on SNL, in the background on the shelf:

Tiki Mugs!

Covered on the "other" TV tread here are some shots of my favorite Gilligan homage from "Roseanne":

Spoiler Alert!!!

At the end the real Gilligan cast in reverse rolls. Here Tina Louise (Ginger) is playing the role of Rosanne (sooo opposite) and she does a good job. At this moment America and the world discovers Ms Louise can actually act :wink: or what she has been saying her whole career.

Also another favorite, silly Benny Hill from across the pond (for me across two ponds)
Here are three of at least four "South Seas" musical/comedy skits by the British comedian through the years:

ZZ top on Jimmy Kimmel. Check out Frank Beards drums. And the "big rig smokestack" mic stands are pretty cool too.

http://youtu.be/ra-ciaILhtE

howlinowl

Nice catch, Owl.

Mahalos

I'm not sure how to post screen caps, but this past week on The Middle, the family went to a "dive" Polynesian bar in South Dakota called the Leilani. They were all unimpressed at first, but once the lights were lowered and some mood lighting was turned on, they had a good time.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-middle/episode-guide/season-06/12-hecks-on-a-train

Season 5, Episode 10 of Mission Impossible.

Beginning of the episode, before the opening credits/theme. The team is in a white ruled south african country, extracting an imprisoned black leader from a government hospital. Barney, disguised as a white man is injured and left behind. He stumbles into a seamstress shop and collapses. The mute seamstress goes to the kitchen to get a towel to tend to his wounds.

Tiki Bob guest-stars as "South African drinking vessel":

SAG award winning performance!!

howlinowl

Hawaii Five-0, Seventh season (1974):

Indoor pool with pufferfish right off master bedroom...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies