Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki on television

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies

O
Otto posted on Mon, May 14, 2012 12:38 AM

On 2012-05-13 23:50, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
In tonights episode of "Madmen"
Roger Sterling takes Manischewitz executive Max Rosenberg to "Trader Vic" to pitch an ad concept.
It looks like it was filmed in Trader Vics L.A.

That's LA TV

Thanks for the quick screen grabs Otto.
Confirmed & validated!
Notice the classic TV mugs.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-05-14 01:27 ]

I'm glad someone caught this! Was wondering when the crew would hit a tiki bar? Is this a set of the old place or the original place?

It's Trader Vics Downtown L.A.

I was hoping that some other TCer's caught that scene!

Here's a reference on TV to a certain tiki palace in Florida... Tonight my local PBS station broadcast a show called "American Masters: Johnny Carson." In the episode they interview Perry Cross who was a producer of the Johnny Carson show. He mentions a trip where a group from the show went to Fort Lauderdale and stayed at a beach-front hotel, then went to "a Polynesian restaurant" which must have been the one-and-only Mai Kai. He continued to describe what a great time they had at the restaurant including "everyone had about 4 mai tais each," they participated in hula lessons on the stage, and how they had a great time with considerable privacy. At one point in the show, either in or around the interview with Perry Cross, they said that this was at a time when Johnny wasn't yet famous enough to be recognized by other people in the general public. They didn't show any photos of the evening at the restaurant, but did show photos and home movies of Johnny with his family on a yacht and at the beach-front hotel.

Roger Sterling and his awesome shirt from last night's Mad Men.

I think Sun Surf may do a reproduction of that shirt and I want one.

Beat me to Boris!

J

And since we're on the topic of that specific episode, here's a shameless JOHN-O plug.

It was also the umpteenth episode of "Mad Men" to use the Prince lounge, stop #1 of my K-Town crawl...

This week on Bob Blumer's World's Weirdest Restaurants show on Food Network Canada there was a segment about the Wreck Bar called "Miraculous Mermaids". Bob interviewed a mermaid (not Marina), and swam in the pool wearing a shell bikini top.

Blurb and video here (it's the first segment): http://www.foodnetwork.ca/ontv/shows/worlds-weirdest-restaurants/videos.html?titleid=272173 (the video is probably only available in Canada)

A

On 2012-05-21 18:40, Bora Boris wrote:
Roger Sterling and his awesome shirt from last night's Mad Men.

I didn't know they had Oompa-loompas on Mad Men!

-Randy

I don't know if there are TV ads for this yet, but on my Kindle I'm getting an ad: ALL TIKI. NO LEAKY. SAY ALOHA TO HUGGIES LITTLE MOVERS HAWAIIAN DIAPERS. (The smart logarithms at Amazon have picked up that I'm into tiki, but they're way off if they think I'll order diapers!)

...or the algorithms may be forecasting that you're about to become a parent. The tiki gods are known to get a bit mischievous at times. Be especially wary if you start to see ads for tiki-shaped formula bottles! heh...

On MI-5, on Netflix episode 9, actual episode 2.4, there are some persons standing in front of a huge aquarium with 20ish foot moai that the sharks swim around. looks great, near the beginning of the episode. Found a foto on someones flicker so here's the page::;;::
::: http://www.flickr.com/photos/helz/4652400301/

Aloha,

On 2012-06-03 21:00, Holler Waller wrote:
On MI-5, on Netflix episode 9, actual episode 2.4, there are some persons standing in front of a huge aquarium with 20ish foot moai that the sharks swim around. looks great, near the beginning of the episode. Found a foto on someones flicker so here's the page::;;::
::: http://www.flickr.com/photos/helz/4652400301/

That is at a museum in London... there is a thread and a live webcam if memory serves me correctly... here

right...

Cam does not work at the London Aquarium anymore

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-06-03 21:52 ]

SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS,there is one epicode where sponge bob and Patrick buil squidward a tiki garden

On 2012-05-21 21:51, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
This week on Bob Blumer's World's Weirdest Restaurants show on Food Network Canada there was a segment about the Wreck Bar called "Miraculous Mermaids". Bob interviewed a mermaid (not Marina), and swam in the pool wearing a shell bikini top.

Blurb and video here (it's the first segment): http://www.foodnetwork.ca/ontv/shows/worlds-weirdest-restaurants/videos.html?titleid=272173 (the video is probably only available in Canada)

I think that was Marina actually, but Wattawino?

Sven???

Hello??

Anyone?

Anyone?

On 2012-06-26 20:59, RevBambooBen wrote:
Sven???

Hello??

Anyone?

Anyone?

Storage Wars
The Fast and the Curious
Episode: 58, Premiere Date: June 26 2012
Sven at the Purple Orchid as guest evaluator

Very cool!

On 2012-06-25 21:50, Slacks Ferret wrote:

On 2012-05-21 21:51, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

I think that was Marina actually, but Wattawino?

Stupid corporate firewall, can't see the video....

If it is the show I am thinking it is, yes that was Marina's Aquaticats in the pool for filming.

Also, if that is the show I am thinking about watch it again and keep an eye out for a plate of clams in a red sauce. The camera guys kept running around with this one plate of pasta with clams to put near the host, but no one ever ate that plate of pasta. It became it's own gag because every time they would turn the camera on someone this plate of pasta with clams suddenly appeared. It looked great, but no one knows what it tasted like.

We saw Sven on Storage Wars and that sure was fun. We got to see The Purple Orchid too now we need to get there one of these days. So first Bamboo Ben then Sven hey don't forget the Dan and Wendy Show!!!

http://www.5min.com/Video/Polynesian-Art-Collections--Large-Artistic-Tikis-300996921

http://www.5min.com/Video/Polynesian-Art-Collections--Tiki-Frenzy-300996951

http://www.5min.com/Video/Polynesian-Art-Collections--The-Tiki-Room-300996973

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-06-27 19:53 ]

That was fun Wendy.

Thanks Atomic Tiki Punk. We had no control, thus the banjo. But it's always fun to be on TV. Cheers, Wendy

Dan and Wendy, nice video tour.

And Sven's "I work for cocktails" a classic.

DC

Nick Waterhouse video, tiki mugs about 54 seconds in.

http://vimeo.com/40590773

I don't know if there are TV ads for this yet, but on my Kindle I'm getting an ad: ALL TIKI. NO LEAKY. SAY ALOHA TO HUGGIES LITTLE MOVERS HAWAIIAN DIAPERS. (The smart logarithms at Amazon have picked up that I'm into tiki, but they're way off if they think I'll order diapers!)

Sorry I've been following a different Tiki TV thread and I missed this post from BB. Wish the moderators could just combine the three Tiki TV posts into one like they do in the football forums I also follow.

Anyway back to the Huggies Hawaiian Diaper ads, I help shoot the commercial and it was huge, big director, real props, Polynesian dance and everyone on camera were real Polynesian. Being Hawaiian myself and a tikiphile myself I was proud of the whole project but maybe we did too good of a job, maybe combining real culture and modern diapers was deemed not PC. Perhaps if it was more tongue & cheek good fun it would of been more acceptable. Whatever the case what would of been probably the greatest Tiki themed Ad campaign is now semi hidden on the web. Here's a couple of photos to show what I mean:

Polynesian Extras taking a break in the village set

The throne set

mad men season 6 opens up in hawaii.

link

hawaii in 1968? if there is no tiki i will eat my straw hat.

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar 2012-10-25 05:27 ]

Here is a re-post of some of those pictures
for future posterity, The new season of "Madmen" should pickup in late 1967
or early 1968, The same year Hawaii 5-0 premiered.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-10-25 15:35 ]

Cool, Jessica Pare is in the cast now. I guess I'll have to start watching.

Z
zond2 posted on Sun, Oct 28, 2012 1:21 PM

Billy has a tiki themed birthday party in the 2nd half of season 1 episode 7 ("Tastes Like Chicken") of the "Grimm Adventures of Billy and Mandy"

G
GROG posted on Tue, Dec 4, 2012 12:01 PM

American Dad.

TM

Did Grog do?

Maybe Grog can answer this question: Why of why, with all the talented, Tiki-loving and thus Tiki-savvy cartoon artists out there does a big network TV show rely on these dime-a-dozen, Party City, bain-of-the-Tiki-revival Tikis that are just swiped of the first results when googling "Tiki" on the Internet? (I think I know the answer...)

so "Poly Pop" doesn't become sold out??

I believe it is because a lot of the background and other rendering work is farmed out to Asia, where the artists have no clue about Tiki style. Kinda like the Poly-Asian carvings that began flooding the market couple of years ago.

Yes, Animation on American Dad & Family Guy is farmed out to South Korean animators
we got lucky with the Tiki inspired episode of South Park a while back as
all the animation & artwork is done in-house here in the U.S.

On 2012-12-14 08:56, RevBambooBen wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iArb-iFGg0M

Way to go Jack!

I love JntB commercials.......but why is that mug there? It has no connection to the commercial plot. Ah well, it's just television.

You kiddin'? That mug clearly establishes the two guys as fun loving, men-about-town types. Just them the target JnB would love to attract.

On 2012-12-14 15:41, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
You kiddin'? That mug clearly establishes the two guys as fun loving, men-about-town types. Just them the target JnB would love to attract.

Agreed.

D
Dagg posted on Sat, Dec 22, 2012 6:54 PM

Meet the Fockers is full of Tiki. Fish float lamps, puffer fish lamps even a uke :) I also spotted a png mask in meet the parents.

MN

There is a moai 41 sec into the Quaker Oats commercial Quaker Up/The Lake .

Great find NoNaMe
Cool image. Like the biggest, badist Moai that got away.

Oh, here's the screen capture.
That little girl learning to swim has some imagination...well the Advertiser writer does anyway.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-02-04 11:48 ]

Season two of Showtime's Homeland gives a quick glimpse of a tiki trio resting against the wall and above the display racks in the Gettysberg tailor's shop. I suppose that would make more sense if you follow the series.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 23, 2013 3:01 PM

Episode of a Canadian animated show called Stoked (you can catch it on Hulu) had a tiki outside the women's restroom in a restaraunt.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies