Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki Book from James Teitelbaum

Pages: 1 34 replies

V

Friends -
Just noticed this on Amazon. Still in pre-order mode.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1891661302/qid=1047095417/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/002-7836448-1275249?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Aloha!

Vic

[edited by hanford to change the subject line]

http://www.live365.com/stations/brianeh
http://www.vegasvics.com

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2003-03-07 20:53 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-03-16 19:10 ]

S

Hi Vic,

You might want to check out this thread:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2097&forum=1&7

V

okay, I'm behind the times. Is there an emoticon for loser? :wink:

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Mar 8, 2003 7:57 AM

James will be at Hukilau with his new book. Ease your pain by driving down and then plan a long road trip back!

T

James will also be signing copies of his new book at the Tiki Farm event at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas on April 19th. Can't wait to see it!

I'll be there but I'll probably be overcome with sadness about John Entwistle. There will never be another person like The Ox again!

Aaaah, that's kind of embarassing...especially that Amazon is listing Jameses book as "By James Teitelbaum, Sven A. Kirsten", when James did all the work, I just wrote a piddly intro.
James should we contact Amazon and change this? The only good thing is probably that you are linked to my page by that, but maybe they can do that in a different way, too.

According to Amazon, Sven, you also wrote

"Economic Integration in Nafta and the Eu: Deficient Institutionality "

Whatever THAT means!

ST

This looks well worth the money, James. Shag's outdone himself on the cover! Is there anywhere I can get a scan without the cover type?

Unfortunately, I don't even have a text-free copy of the cover for myself.

And, given what Shag's paintings go for these days, it would probably cost me my entire paycheck for writing this book just to aquire the original cover art... so maybe we all should but Mr. Agle to have his agents arrange to release a print?

And if any of you TC-ers want to pool your pennies and buy me the original cover art for my own book for my birthday, I'll thank you profusely.
:)

Oh, BTW, Amazon's release date of May 01 is a bit late - as the great Mr. Dean (theJab) pointed out, I'll have copies with me in time for Mondo Tiki on April 19.

ST

Now, you should at least be entitled to a print for yourself James!! I would contact the reproduction house/graphic designer responsible for imaging the cover art and ask them for a high quality scan on a cd. Then its just a short trip to Kinko's to print yourself out a colour copy say, A2 size. I can understand you not getting the original painting, but I'm sure Shag wouldn't mind a one off print being made for the author.
when you're done, send me the cd!;) (kidding)

Actually, the graphic designer was Shag himself - he provided the publisher and I with a ruff draft of the final painting (based on a very slim concept I provided him with: i.e. a couple in a car driving down a road filled with Tiki Bars) which we enthusiastically approved. Then he finished the painting up and applied all of the text and logos himself. So the whole thing is a Shag design, that is to say he probably conceived the artwork while keeping in mind where he was going to place the logs and text, and then executed the whole process solo.

But, I don't want to bug him for a print right now, because he's super busy (I think his wife just had a little Shag Jr.), and he barely had time to squeeze my cover art into his schedule - and of course I am eternally grateful to him for finding the time at all.

So - I'll wait for the dust to settle before I bug him about getting a text-free scan for myself... and as far as sharing that image goes, well, we'll have to see how Mr. Agle feels about it.

Get back to me in a few months!

T

On 2003-03-11 22:46, tikibars wrote:
Oh, BTW, Amazon's release date of May 01 is a bit late - as the great Mr. Dean (theJab) pointed out, I'll have copies with me in time for Mondo Tiki on April 19.

Au contraire, how great thou art JT! I'll be at Mondo Tiki to get my autographed copy! That is, after I get autographed pictures of George Barris, Candy Clark, and Bo Hopkins at the Viva Las Vegas car show.

T

JT- You should have a book signing at Viva Las Vegas too. Shag is gonna be there on Friday night at the 8-ball store (the Burbank store) booth. Maybe you can do something there on Friday as well.

T

On 2003-03-14 17:26, thejab wrote:
JT- You should have a book signing at Viva Las Vegas too. Shag is gonna be there on Friday night at the 8-ball store (the Burbank store) booth. Maybe you can do something there on Friday as well.

This is a good idea.
I don't want to crowd in uninvited on Shag's thing, but showing up somewhere else at VLV might work out. I assumed that all Tikiphiles attending VLV would make the trek over to Mondo Tiki at some point on Saturday, it being just down the street (more or less)... but maybe on Sunday I'll go over to VLV with some books for any rockabilliy Tikis who wouldn't/couldn't make the side trip...

Now that said, I want to plan a trip to LA and the San Francisco the week after Mondo and try to do an event in each of those towns during the week of April 21-26-ish. Any suggestions for venues for a book signing party in LA or SF?

As far as LA goes, Tiki Ti is too small, Vic's doesn't dig big invasions from Tiki freaks, Damon's just isn't Tiki enough... that leaves Bahooka or possibly the gallery La Luz de Jesus (sp.?). Any other possible locations?

SF is even harder because Tonga Room hates Tikiphiles (or seems to), Trader Sam is a dump... maybe Bamboo Lounge, but I'd prefer to have it in a 'classic' place rather than a 'neo' if possible... what do all you west coasters think?

DZ

How 'bout the Purple Orchid or Sam's Seafood?

A

Tiki bars wrote;
"As far as LA goes, Tiki Ti is too small, Vic's doesn't dig big invasions from Tiki freaks, Damon's just isn't Tiki enough... that leaves Bahooka or possibly the gallery La Luz de Jesus (sp.?). Any other possible locations?"

The Lagoon Room!

T

You might want to contact the Tonga Room. I have noticed that the service has improved lately. Perhaps if you quote the review from your book (maybe leave out mention of bad food and service!) they might let you have a book event there early in the evening. Otherwise, Trader Vic's in Emeryville loves to host tiki freaks - ask for Claudette Lum and speak to her about it. She is a Maitre D' there and she has been with Vic's for over 30 years. Another option is to contact Otto and arrange something with him at one of the local bars where maybe he could DJ and perhaps get a band to play.

Can't wait for this book... :wink:

On 2003-03-16 11:03, thejab wrote:
Trader Vic's in Emeryville loves to host tiki freaks - ask for Claudette Lum and speak to her about it. She is a Maitre D' there and she has been with Vic's for over 30 years.

Of course!
Emeryville vics!
I gush about them in the book, and they have that party room off to the side.
Perfect. I'll get on it.
Thanks AGAIN Dean!

And Sams Seafood - you know I have to admit I have never been there, it is the one major LA Tiki palace I havn't made it to. I was going to make it a priority to get there on my trip in April, but having the whole event there... hmmmm....
I'll look into it!

That is all great info, everybody....now someone, Hanford, can we please change the headline of this thread exchanging my name for Jameses...I get embarassed each time I see it, it's not fair to James!

I'm sure Sam's would love to have us there for the signing. They are big supporters of TC events and love it every time we're in there.

On 2003-03-17 13:19, Luckydesigns wrote:
I'm sure Sam's would love to have us there for the signing. They are big supporters of TC events and love it every time we're in there.

Anyone have a contact name and phone number?
A manager who is familiar with the TC crowd, perhaps?

I'll figure something out when we're there for the OC crawl.

James, what a work! I am overwhelmed (in the best way!). Congrats, I know how it feels to get it done...

P

Bahooka is also a good choice. It's a large place - they have that whole back room - and they are receptive to tiki freaks.

Sam's is a good choice too. Tiki, tiki friendly, and also a good sized place with back rooms and side rooms.

DZ

I'd like to re-up my suggestion for Sam's Seafood as the SoCal locale. Not only are they VERY 'TikiCentral-friendly', they have a great bar and a BIG back room!

And a stage...

Hmmm... can anyone say 'Smokin' Menehunes'??

Sorry, but for James' sake, I disagree with both Bahooka's and Sam's. Granted, both would make for a nice Tiki Central gathering, but to maximize on the target group for the book, nothing can compete with the Soap Plant/Wacko and their mailing list of urban hipsters.

bigbro is right... The LaLuz Gallery and Soap Plant/Wacko Bookstore is the place for an event like this... (that's where we got our copy of BOT signed!!!) http://www.soapplant.com/
http://www.laluzdejesus.com/
It's not a tiki establishment, but it will provide the best exposure to the kind of people that will BUY the book (besides tikifiles) and that's what it's eventually about for James.
Shag's earliest showings were there and they helped put him on the map. And J.T. will be in good company - not only did Sven do a signing there, but Alan Hess did a booksigning of "Googie" there way back in 1980!

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-04-07 13:44 ]

T

Well, I'll end this debate right here -

Some of you got this in your Email, and here it is for the rest of you... Here's my official itinerary for the summer.

"With the imminent release of Tiki Road Trip, the new book by James Teitelbaum (founder of the Tiki Bar Review pages at http://www.tydirium.net), no less than eight events all over the US of A are being planned to celebrate the release, to give Tiki fanatics a chance to meet the author and get their books signed, and to give James an excuse to road trip... er, that is to say, to research the second edition!

Anyone who buys a copy of Tiki Road Trip from James during any of the eight events listed below will receive a little bonus gift from James to commemorate this inaugural summer of Tiki Road Trip. No, it isn’t anything so extravagant as a Tiki mug, but it IS something better than just having him scrawl his Hancock on your book! You’ll have to show up to find out what it is, however!

Tiki Road Trip is your definitive guide to world wide Tiki, past and present. Presented in the format of a travel guide, it is an historic overview of Tiki culture, listing and describing every known Tiki bar, Polynesian restaurant, or other point of interest to Tiki afficianados that has ever existed.

The ‘official debut’ of the book will occur at the Mondo Tiki event at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Saturday April 19, 2003.

Mondo Tiki is a huge event sponsored by Tiki Farm, and it is running in parallel with the Gold Coast Hotel’s 6th annual Viva Las Vegas festival (April 17th to 20th - http://www.vivalasvegas.net). As much as we all love rockabilly, four solid days of it is too much for anyone - so scoot on over to the Hardrock on Saturday so you can show off your cool vintage aloha shirt / sarong / cabana set to much greater effect there than you can to the greasers at the Gold Coast!

Mondo Tiki will feature live music, nearly twenty vendors, three bars, a DJ, and other sundry attractions. The Hard Rock’s spectacular pool area will be further augmented with more Tikis than you can shake a Mai Tai at.

James will be selling and signing copies of Tiki Road Trip at a booth in the vendors area on Saturday from 2PM to 6PM, and will almost certainly be wandering around watching the live music afterwards from 8PM to 11PM. Cover artist Shag and fellow writer Sven Kirsten (author of Book of Tiki and the foreword to Tiki Road Trip) will be attending this event as well. This is the only event all summer during which all three gentlemen(?) will be in attendance.
http://www.mondotiki.com

Directly following Mondo Tiki, James will be making an appearance in Los Angeles on Wednesday, April 23 at La Lus De Jesus gallery (located in the rear of the retail store Wacko - 4633 Hollywood Blvd. Los Angeles, CA (323) 666-7667) from 7PM to 10PM.

Once again, James will have plenty of copies of Tiki Road Trip on hand to sell and sign. Rumors that Shag my show his face at this one are (so far) unsubstantiated (we’re workin’ on it), but if you can’t make it to Mondo Tiki in Vegas, this is your big chance for SoCal natives to get James to sign your copy of Tiki Road Trip. And, if you haven’t been shopping at Wacko, you MUST check out their huge selection of books, art prints, Tiki items, and generally weird ephemera.
http://www.laluzdejesus.com/

That Friday, April 25, James will be at Trader Vic’s in Emeryville, CA for his third west coast event. The Emeryville Trader Vic’s staff love the local San Francisco Tiki community, and they are offering discounted Mai Tais for anyone who comes down to meet James and have him scribble on their copy of Tiki Road Trip. Be there from 6PM to 8PM for pupus, Mai Tais, the likely appearance of Tiki Central hardcores (love those guys!), music selection by Otto von Stroheim, and a good ol’ time in the hard-to-get-into Captain Cook Room at Trader Vic’s!

Back in Chicago, there will be a signing at Quimby’s book store (1854 W. North Ave. Chicago, IL, (773) 342-0910 - http://www.quimbys.com) on Wednesday, May 07 from 7:30PM to 10PM. Quimby’s features a wide array of material by independent and underground talent, and is Chicago’s premiere source for books, comics, and other media dealing with all aspects of popular culture.

A second Chicago area book release party may also happen at Rock-A-Tiki’s new location (the current location on Division street will be closing soon). The Rock-A-Tiki date will be in mid-May, depending on when Rock-A-Tiki 2.0 opens. Watch your local press for details.

Never content to stay home for too long, the Tiki Road Trip caravan of 2003 is heading east: look for James at the Hukilau festival in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida on June 27 and 28; this event will feature events at the Holiday Inn Ft. Lauderdale Beach on Friday, and then move to the astounding Mai Kai restaurant on Saturday. As is the case with the Mondo Tiki and Exotica 2003 (see below), there is an astounding array of talent lined up for this one - don’t miss it.
http://www.thehukilau.com/

Summer rolls on with the gigantic Wizard World Convention in Chicago on August 8th-10th. This convention - which is slowly edging up on the legendary San Diego Comicon as the world’s largest - is an annual mecca for fans of comics, science fiction, and popular culture in general. Look for James in ‘artist’s alley’, selling and signing copies of Tiki Road Trip, as well as his multimedia art and music project, Left Orbit Temple, and even back issues of his legendary sci-fi fanzine, Blue Harvest (1993-2000).

The summer of Tiki finally ends with a big bang: the just-announced Exotica 2003 festival will take place all over the Chicago area on August 21st through 24th; James will not only be there, but is helping to plan the event.
Exotica 2003 is, without a doubt, the most action-packed four solid days of Tiki you will get anywhere. Chicago has more to offer than many people realize, and you’ll get to see it all as summer winds to a close.
The details are here:
http://www.konakai.com/

With so many options for spending your time this spring and summer, you almost have no excuse not to stop by and visit at least one of these events... but if you just CAN’T, you can still get Tiki Road Trip on-line at this link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1891661302/tikiroadtrip-20

"

A
aquarj posted on Tue, Apr 8, 2003 7:10 PM

quoth Futura Girl, about LaLuz:

Alan Hess did a booksigning of "Googie" there way back in 1980!

And they still have copies of it too! One of the first great books about googie. I think the book went out of print long ago, and I remember hearing rumors about a reprint, but dunno if that happened yet. Anyway, LaLuz / Wacko's had a whole stack of em last time I was there.

-Randy

I was an intern at Chronicle Books in 1992, and they had "Googie" on their backlist then.

If it ever went out of print, it was only for a few years.

--cyn

James, since you said that you've still never been to Sam's, maybe when you are at La Luz, you'd like to swing on by. I'm not trying to split your signing, just for you to come down for drinks.

All these events sound very exciting...WHICH MAKES IT SO MUCH HARDER TO REALIZE I'M GONNA MISS THEM ALL!
Anyway, I pre ordered the book long ago, and hope all those attending will have lots of fun.

James - good luck with the book and signing...hoping to meet you some time in a future event/crawl/whatever
Your Fellow MOT

Ran

From the Land of the $27 Myers's

[ Edited by: kick_the-reverb on 2003-04-09 02:35 ]

T

On 2003-04-08 23:51, Luckydesigns wrote:
James, since you said that you've still never been to Sam's, maybe when you are at La Luz, you'd like to swing on by. I'm not trying to split your signing, just for you to come down for drinks.

I would be remiss not to make it to Sam's at some point on this LA trip - a visit after my signing is a strong possiblity...

Imagine my delight when returning home from a stressful workday devoid of Tiki only to find a package on my doorstep from Amazon with James' new book! Woohoo!

Very nice cover and layout. Got me some reading to do ... then swing by AAA and get some roadmaps ...

Pages: 1 34 replies