Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Australian Tiki stuff???

Pages: 1 14 replies

Hi everybody... I,m looking for some Tiki stuff for a swingin' bar i've got planed, but I'm having trouble finding cool tiki stuff Down Under. Is their anyone else in Oz who's into Tiki?

V

Yeah, G'Day Mate,

I don't know if you'll be able to find any tiki bar stuff in Sydney, but if there are any tikis or some poly pop-art in your area, do tell us about it here on TC.

C ya.

Vay

T

Wouldn't there be a lot of New Zealand tiki artifacts floating around? Or is that too common for you? Buying stuff of Canadians (ahem) or Americans is still viable if it's inder 1 kg, the shipping ain't too bad. After that it gets prohibitive.

TM

Talofa Lava, Aloha & G'day!
I'm a Sydneysider too. My first Tiki I had to make myself because they really are rare here. 'Garage sales' & St Vincent de Paul outlets can sometimes show up an unwanted treasure, as can suburban markets. Our proximity to the South Pacific (it's on our doorstep) means that lots of homes across Sydney have artifacts people have brought back from Fiji,New Zealand,Cook Islands,Hawaii & PNG. Sometimes these items don't match the owners decor or modern tastes & they are then discarded for us to rediscover! Keep your eyes peeled & you'll be lucky - otherwise, sharpen your woodcarving tools!
Cheers & good luck

H
hmc posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 3:41 PM

Unfortunately, if you want Tiki in Australia you have only 2 options:

1. Buy from overseas and pay big bucks for the postage; or
  2. Make it.

I've been doing a bit of #1 but mostly #2. You have to have an interest in making stuff though... and my interest in making stuff is extremely high!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 4:30 PM

Where the hell have all you Aussie people been hiding? All of a sudden its Aussie tiki party time!

There's a really cool guy out in Penrith (outer suburbs for ya non-Sydney-ites) who does cool tiki art, goes by the name of Hewey. Check him out on this place called TC...

H
hmc posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 4:37 PM

There's a really cool guy out in Penrith (outer suburbs for ya non-Sydney-ites) who does cool tiki art, goes by the name of Hewey. Check him out on this place called TC...

Where are your pictures postedHewey? Would love to see them...

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 4:50 PM

oh, aint that just the way things go?

KT

i haven't posted a while, but i've found couple of things recently that you guys might like to know about.

base warehouse, the discount chain, had mini hanging glass floats for a couple of bucks last week. i got a couple of green ones although the rope bag isn't that flash.

rick rack retro at summer hill in sydney has a few tiki things at the moment that i don't want to buy so it's alright to tell other people now!

aloha look up tikibeat i can help you

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 5:29 AM

On 2006-12-05 22:55, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
aloha look up tikibeat i can help you

Marcus at some point you will read the date of the original post, and realise the chances of them reading your response is quite low, and feel like an idiot. I know, because I did it myself... :roll: hahahaha

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 6:04 AM

not only are you guys down-under, you seem to be in a time vacuum on these postings.

Hey Hewey - got you to respond....did you feel silly.
I just thought if anyone sees the word Australia and is new to the forum and is looking for stuff in Australia than I can help them out. I have met a lot of people in the last 3 months that are looking to meet other tiki people in Australia....I thought that is what these forums were about.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 5:41 PM

On 2006-12-06 14:58, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
Hey Hewey - got you to respond....did you feel silly.
I just thought if anyone sees the word Australia and is new to the forum and is looking for stuff in Australia than I can help them out. I have met a lot of people in the last 3 months that are looking to meet other tiki people in Australia....I thought that is what these forums were about.

Fair call, I was just being a smart ass.

Heres a more constructive response, on getting non-forum type people into the Aussie tiki scene
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22041&forum=15&0

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-12-06 18:56 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies