Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Monkeys and Fezzes

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

i reviewed the movie, and found out that sadly the evil monkey in 'raiders of the lost ark' does not in fact wear a fez in any of the scenes. but he is surrounded by many egyptians in fezzes.

None of these monkeys are wearing fezes, but these are great pictures.

I have a question .

Why is the topic of monkeys and fezzes on a forum that has to do with Tiki and the home of tiki , Polynesia ?

Monkeys are not native to Polynesia .

The ring-tailed monkeys from South America were the monkeys of choice for most 20th Century organ grinders, who were more often than not Italian.

Regarding the monkey wearing a fez, most of the organ grinder monkeys were dressed up in costumes with hats, and some may have been costumed with a fez with an embroidered Arabic waist coat and poofy trousers. More often than not, though, it was a tiny bellboy's hat that the monkey wore, if the monkey wore a hat at all. Some may have been furnished with a tassle. It could very well be that an artist misinterpretted the bellboy hat as a fez, or perhaps even was inspired by it to illustrate the monkey wearing a fez. But the fez-wearing monkey has no significance to it whatsoever, no link to anything; and I believe it was one (though I doubt anyone can be sure) of those many cases where something was misinterpretted, imitated, and evolved into an image that began showing up more frequently by different artists; and I believe that's why 'tiki artists' use the image today: somebody else used the image before them. However.....

On the same token, as far as todays 'tiki art', the fez has had its place in Lounge culture since the 1990s; and the monkey is representative of an exotic creature from an often exotic locale, and has been illustrated in past Polynesian restaurant and bar artwork for menus, logos, ads, mugs, plaques, etc. Put a fez on a monkey, put the monkey at the seat of a tropical bar, put a tiki mug in the monkey's paw/hand and, not only is it funny, but it seems to suddenly make sense. And we all of us turn a bit into monkeys (don't we?) after a few tropical cocktails.

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2008-08-31 18:04 ]

On 2008-08-31 17:56, Toataiaha wrote:
I have a question .

Why is the topic of monkeys and fezzes on a forum that has to do with Tiki and the home of tiki , Polynesia ?

To answer question one: It's because a monkey wearing a fez sometimes appears in today's 'tiki art'.

To answer question two: Not so. I saw a monkey on Gilligan's Island several times. So there!

Actually, that is true. Aside from birds and marine life and other migratable creatures, the islands of Polynesia had and have little wildlife, as they were volcanic islands that formed and popped up out in the middle of nowhere, where no land animals could access. There are monkeys on some of the islands now, but those were shipped there by we humans.

Now, the floating island in Dr. Doolittle is a much, much different story!

I have a question .

This world we're recreating isn't based on reality.

K
Kahu posted on Sun, Aug 31, 2008 10:52 PM

I have a question .

Kind of like asking, why is it funny when someone gets hit in the face with a pie?

Which should be a crime to hurt a pie in such a manner. I mean what did a pie ever do wrong to anyone. :wink:

On 2008-08-31 18:59, Matt Reese wrote:

This world we're recreating isn't based on reality.

Let a monkey pee in your face and it will all make sense.

Thank goodness Heather has shared this little primate with us...

~He is a sharp dresser (vest and matching fez)
~He has advanced his musical talents from a simple grinding to an elaborate pipe organ
~He has a pet parrot
~He enjoys a smoke (like most other monkeys)
~He is friends with the Tiki crowd

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2008-09-01 14:44 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Feb 23, 2009 9:46 AM

Chinese plastic Pencil top mini monkey wearing a Fez... Strange late post modern world we live in...

Whatever's goin' on, Doug Horne's been in on it for a while...

W

Oops. Double post. Dang it.

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2011-03-27 20:55 ]

W

On 2011-03-27 20:50, woofmutt wrote:
Fez-A-Roni...The Tiki Central Treat!

2011: The Fezzes or No Fezzes poll - immediate results

2011: Trader Vic says no to the fez !!

2009: Show us your FEZ

2008: Fez Monkey

2007: Tikis and Fez'zzz...what's the connection ?

2006: Which is the meaning of the fez in lounge culture?

2005: Monkeys and Fezzes

2004: Fabulous Fez Instructions

2004: Fez Monkeys?

2002: Monkeys and Fezzes

Another fine example of cross-posting.

P
Polly posted on Tue, Mar 29, 2011 7:02 PM

On 2002-06-04 18:39, MonkeyGod wrote:
Was a time when we were sold into slavery to be the handmaidens of talentless organ-grinders. Have you ever seen a gypsy organ grider? Uglier than a monkey's uncle (in this case, that uncle being an Orangutan, one ugly uncle, indeed). With no talent and no natural attractiveness, how's a pathetic grinder to make money? With an adorable primate at his side, of course. Hence, the exploitative use of my brethren (and sistren).

And the fez? To collect the moolah, of course. So many coins thrown at one's adorable graspable feet, how is one to collect it all, even with four opposable halloxes? Enter the fez.

These days, of course, no self-respecting great ape would don this demenaing crimson topper. Personally, I prefer a lampshade. Skoll!

• Monkey God (Teddy T.)

[ Edited by: MonkeyGod on 2002-06-04 18:39 ]

Your signature pic is really funny. :)

It's a little known fact that Trader Vic Bergeron banned all monkeys wearing fezzes from his establishments. Said Vic, "I think the little bastards are cuter than hell, but I can't abide with their poo-flinging."

Something I did for a client a few years ago.

Pages: 1 2 64 replies