Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 248 replies

Wow that picture of the original is certainly sparse...I agree.

On 2014-05-08 21:39, hang10tiki wrote:
Another

This is the Seashell Restaurant, Coco Palms would be out of this picture to the left.

Bob Jasper posted this today in the Coco Palms group on facebook.

He says demolition begins this October, and that just 30% of the total amount of structures need to be demolished. Mostly it's the smaller all-wood buildings. This includes the cottages, the chapel, and sadly, the iconic lobby.
Everything will be rebuilt as it was, though. The Seashell Restaurant will come down and be rebuilt, and may open before the hotel.

Here's a closer shot of just the buildings area.

Great pictures and links. I remember staying there and drinking in the bar, lounging in the hot tub and pool, the big shell sinks, walking across the highway to the beach...so glad it will be restored. Hope they remain in the historical likeness. I agree, a bridge to the beach would be fabulous.

When they finish it will be time to return. Old memories and new ones to be made. Wendy

EJ

Here is a link posted by tikilongbeach on Shout to another video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-tLjMWrOe3U

Oh NOOOOO so sad....there is bad juju there....I hope they still move forward with plans to rebuild.

T

Here's fire video from a drone, apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtKYuM5Zzw

Also, this was in an article today on the fire: "Tyler Greene of Coco Palms Hui LLC had just arrived at the Kauai airport when he got word of the blaze. He said the fire won't halt his group's rebuilding plans.

"We're focused on getting it opened and getting it rebuilt, so we'll stay the course and just keep moving forward."

I have mixed reactions to this.

Sad that this burned, there is real history and many memories there. Original art and décor and architecture is a terrible loss in this fire. Not sure if the big shell was still around, but from the videos, it seems what was left is now gone.

Not sad because, in the end, we do have photos, and it may actually help with a re-build to start from scratch. How much mold, mildew, insects, etc. has the Coco Palms accumulated since the hurricane? Tearing everything down and starting new might be the only way to address the unhealthy conditions which currently exist. It is a very neglected series of structures. On top of that, old infrastructure would saddle the new operators with a lot of maintenance and operational issues which aren't inherent in modern designs and materials.

The fire is a shame, but there always was the possibility that they were going to have to "remove and replace" major portions anyway. The real loss is the art and décor which previously could have been salvageable.

Sob. Thanks for the link, 4WDtiki. Hard to watch, though.

Wow...Bill that video made me cry. :(

Bob Jasper has posted a long video showing the fire damage (about 25 minutes worth.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soUkeNO-gHI&feature=youtu.be

T

Looks like the lobby is now history, but would it have been saved anyway ?

I hope they rebuild a updated copy of the original.
Can't wait till they finish so I can book my holiday.

On 2014-07-09 17:52, TikiSpeer wrote:
Looks like the lobby is now history, but would it have been saved anyway?

No, it was too far gone even before the fire. It was slated to be torn down and rebuilt as it was.

Also, it's five days since the fire, and still no word from Fire or Police on a cause...

On 2014-07-09 23:58, 4WDtiki wrote:
Also, it's five days since the fire, and still no word from Fire or Police on a cause...

That's really weird. I've watched Hawaii Five-O, and they usually have things wrapped up within 45 minutes.

T

Coco Palms 25th Anniversary commemorative Golden Coconut Mug Plaque from January 25th, 1978.

Either used for or a reference to their Golden Coconut drink...

On 2012-09-06 21:57, aquarj wrote:
4WDtiki - yeah check it out, there were some locals with us when we took the tour. I don't know if the kamaaina deal still holds, but could be.
![](http://www.goofspot.com/images/tc/cocopalms-2012 (36).jpg)

The deal still holds, on Fridays!

I was going through this thread today, to match up some photos I took there today :) when I came to your pic above. I took the same shot today! You can see the fire damage from the July 4th fire.

I love that you can still look through the walkway and see the beauty of the grounds.

Here's another shot taken today of the same breezeway arch, as seen from on top of the pile of rubble that was the lobby. :(

Primo KIMO
this is Bonkers! so cool! i want to go to a place like this! cry cry cry, why doesn't anyone care to fix it up!? thankfully they haven't bulldozed it but it will die by neglect before anyone can rescue it...thanks for the pics

oh... now i've made it to the bottom and see the fire. this is why it's like practically a good idea to go ahead and pilfer and plummage through the remains on something like this before it gets trashed in a fire anyway.

It's in the process of being rebuilt to the way it was when the hurricane hit in 92. The recent fire is a minor setback. Everything that burned was to be torn down and rebuilt. It's scheduled to reopen in early 2017.

I have not been to the island of Kauai yet. I will endeavor to visit the Coco Palms soon after it opens. It would be fun to get a group of TC'ers together there and do a tiki and Elvis tour of the property, and to see the other things which the island offers.

On 2014-08-19 23:23, 4WDtiki wrote:
It's in the process of being rebuilt to the way it was when the hurricane hit in 92. The recent fire is a minor setback. Everything that burned was to be torn down and rebuilt. It's scheduled to reopen in early 2017.

I am really surprised that they weren't going to try and save the lobby before the fire. When we visited that was probably one of the most stunning/iconic original parts of the resort. Do you know if they plan to rebuild it as it was? I also hope they were able to save some of the amazing fixtures from that room.

Took the coco palms tour. The state that it's in is depressing. Bob the guide was super nice. Its amazing that he has been able to save and protect the place and its contents as much as he has.

Fire did a number on certain places...but most of it will be gutted anyway. I'm glad I got to see it before its either rebuilt, fallen down further or bulldozed.

Part of the big shell laying in the lagoon

elvis would be pissed about his bungalow

Thanks for the updated pictures!

It's sad to see the new deterioration since the fire, but it sounds like most of it would have had to have been rebuilt anyway. Hoping someday I'll get to do a visit where we get to my stay a few days!

Lest we forget the bygone by glory, an old photo of the lobby building from flickr.

DC

Great news, the Kauai Planning Commission this week unanimously approved all permits needed for the reconstruction!

Hooray!

That is great news! This place has been on my to-go-and-see list since I started reading about it here. My impression, from the photos and stories, is that the grounds are beautiful and ready for whatever rehabilitation they end up doing. I'm looking forward to seeing the next incarnation brings.

The thing which has me really excited is that other high-end resorts on the islands have been steadily raising the bar since the Coco Palms closed. I'm looking for something great to happen here.

ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOha!

Elvis has left the building- but wait, he's coming back!

Great news on the approvals!

DC

P

On 2015-05-19 22:07, bamalamalu wrote:
Sounds like they're getting ready to start working!

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2015/05/19/kauais-coco-palms-resort-nearing-last-days-before.html?ana=fbk

Oh please let this happen. There have been so many false starts in the past on getting this thing going, that I'm hesitant to get my hopes up again. Have to admit though...this sounds the most encouraging of the bunch.

Crossing fingers. Go baby...GO!

Demolition starts next week, so I made a trip over to get some coco palm for carving.
The first week or two will be brush clearing around all the buildings, then they will start tearing down all the parts that are coming down for rebuilding.
While there, I found this!

I'm guessing it's a room ice bucket. The fine print says "A Park Lane Hotel", so it's later vintage, but still very cool and I'm stoked I found it!

Here's a pic of the logs I got, and 8 sprouting coconuts that I plan to plant around the island. Can't have too many coconut palms, IMO!

Nice find!

Can someone help me? In which year was installed gold tiles in bungalows (I mean in bathrooms)? Who knows this information? Maybe someone can say who stayed in bungalows in 60's, 70's.

Thank you in advance!

[ Edited by: Elvis's fan 70 2015-08-16 12:57 ]

STILL waiting on permits. Lots of hoops to jump through, with every little state and county dept. article from this morning's paper: http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/coco-palms-still-waiting-for-permits/article_9da4f69b-01cb-5bb4-9845-ee85e7c28d36.html?mode=jqm

I couldn't read the article until I clicked on "Full Size"

Another step!

The $135 million project to redevelop the famed Coco Palms Resort on Kauai came one step closer to becoming a reality after Kauai County officials on Wednesday released the first set of permits needed to begin demolition work.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2015/08/19/kauai-county-green-lights-coco-palms-resort.html?ana=e_lulu_bn_newsalert&u=vS6EyabXNIHAnL1EW6/H4fxfYAI&t=1440036719

Hope they do the rooms in the old style decor.

DC

On 2015-08-22 11:16, Dustycajun wrote:
Hope they do the rooms in the old style decor.

DC

Good thought. That would appeal to us, but may not appeal to their target market. I'm expecting with upgraded grounds will come updated décor. My hope is that it will still not be a "sterile" Polynesian treatment, but something along the very organic designs in many of the other resorts on the islands.

On another subject - have you looked up the life (and death) of the bratty blonde character in the photo? Its tragic.

Bump... 100 days have passed since the last Coco Palms comments were posted here. Does anyone have news on permits, demolition, clean-up, or any other activities?

Yes! About two weeks ago, they did landscape clearance on the property, which involved cutting back overgrowth from buildings to be 'demolished', and mowing down the 8' tall grass around the lagoon, cottages and chapel, and in some of the coconut grove.
The landscaping was prep work to give working access to begin the tearing down soon of what's being torn down.

Also, yesterday, they started having 24 hour security people on site, partly as a response to repeated arrests of people going in and stealing wiring out of the walls.

Thought I'd share this link to a facebook group about Coco Palms. It's run by Bob, the guy who does the tours there, he knows everything that's happening there and when it's happening. https://www.facebook.com/groups/98320760038/

Apparently there was another hearing today. Since demolition hasn't started yet and may not be completed by previously scheduled deadlines, there's a possibly the permits could be pulled. Sounds like today's meeting set up a follow up hearing for April 26, at which point they could make that decision:

http://thegardenisland.com/future-of-coco-palms-could-hinge-on-status-hearing/article_afacd996-da7b-11e5-95bf-7f04a2989081.html

http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/coco-rebuild-in-question/article_fa6645e7-17e5-5737-802f-83eac6b9a1c9.html

This article says the hui was planning to have their loan secured by Feb 22nd, but I haven't seen any word on whether that happened:
http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2016/02/05/developers-hope-to-start-demolition-of-kauais-coco.html

Thanks for the updates, bamalamalu. It sounds like delays are threatening to kill the whole redevelopment plan. Are there other parties waiting in the wings to redevelop this land? Otherwise, I don't understand why the Council sounds like they would not grant an extension.

Let it sit and do nothing or help motivated people redevelop the site that can add to Kauai's hospitality industry, not to mention its taxes, hmmm???

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 248 replies