Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hawaii Five-O 2.0

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 248 replies

H

Nope, didn't like it enough to go back again. I agree with Tipsy, would have been nice to get a period style show instead.

I thought it was entertaining... I'm not about to set my dvr to record every episode though....
It was like a better version of that horrible show, Las Vegas. Pretty glossy but with a better story line... It was pretty much what I expected. The writing wasn't horrible. It played to a lot of the action hero, buddy movie stereotypes...
I'd give it a pass if it wasn't called Hawaii 5-0. They're infringing on a legendary tv series' legacy.

Got home late and only saw the last 15 minutes...didn't hold my attention much. The shot of the police statio0n was nostalgic though. Might try to watch it once more.

I can agree that it's not "classic" but it's still better than CSI: Miami lol. Like others have said, I hope the locale and people play more of a role moving forward. This episode could have happened most anywhere that had waterfront access. I'll watch it again, only because there's not a whole lot else worth watching and hopefully it'll keep improving.

J

In case you missed it. (and/or don't own a TV like me).

I'm going to check it out later tonight based on the general positive feedback (i.e. "it didn't suck")...

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/hawaii_five_0

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-21 11:20 ]

On 2010-09-21 06:50, JackLord wrote:
My take:

I went in with an open mind and...

Really......"Jack Lord" ?

Somehow I fond that statement a bit of a stretch, coming from you, and all. :P

Lounge Shark said "This episode could have happened most anywhere that had waterfront access. I'll watch it again, only because there's not a whole lot else worth watching and hopefully it'll keep improving."

I agree, but I think this episode served to set up the cast backgrounds and basic show outline.
Y'know McGarrett returns to Hawaii, and puts together his team, introduce everyone and kill the guy who killed his dad.
Cliche yea, but hopefully, now that that is out of the way, the plots will be good and the real "local Hawaii" aspect really gets to shine.

I'm going to watch it the entire season, unless it REALLY starts to get cliche and cheesy.

So far, like I said, Scott Caan (Danno) is the most entertaining character.

I'm curious to see what the villains will be like. The original had really colorful bad guys, so they have alot to live up to in that respect.

Also, it looks like James Williams MAY make some appearances on the show....

http://tgif.staradvertiser.com/archives/8052

They should have Tikiyaki Orchestra as the soundtrack.....!!

Works for me!

On 2010-09-21 06:50, JackLord wrote:
My take:

I went in with an open mind and imho it crashed and burned. The camera work and graphics are stellar, but it just felt like I was watching CSI: Honolulu.

My biggest complaint is McGarret. Look, I realize this is the 21st Century and the original 5-0 debuted in 1968. But the appeal of Steve McGarret was that he was larger than life. He was a cool and calm stoic who was hard as steel and yet had a heart of gold.

In contrast, this guy plays McGarret like Kevin Costner would play him. Indeed, this show is more a remake of The Untouchables than it is of 5-0. And the McGarret-Danno dynamic is all wrong. It was more like watching how Starsky and Hutch were first aquainted. In the original, Steve was in charge and Danno was the loyal right-hand man. These guys were decking each other half the time.

An interesting mix of PC (the terrorists) with a complete jettisoning of PC (when Steve, Danno, and Chin question the fella selling shaved ice). I will say no more of that. Quite violent- glad its on late.

As a cheesy cop/buddy show or, as I said, a remake of The Untouchables in Hawaii, its entertaining enough. Its technically competent and the acting is fine. Its just did not do it for me. But that's just my opinion and I know others will feel differently. No worries.

That about sums it up for me as well.... I'll keep watching though...
A little Tikiyaki in the background would have been killer...

On 2010-09-21 10:34, lucas vigor wrote:

I would have picked anything with an island feel over those cut to the ocean scenes and that urban hip hop they played in the backgroud.

Really......"Jack Lord" ?

Somehow I fond that statement a bit of a stretch, coming from you, and all.

LOL! A fair point Tikiyaki. Nonetheless, some of us have a legacy to uphold.

[ Edited by: JackLord 2010-09-21 12:03 ]

On 2010-09-21 11:27, naugatiki wrote:

On 2010-09-21 10:34, lucas vigor wrote:

I would have picked anything with an island feel over those cut to the ocean scenes and that urban hip hop they played in the backgroud.

Me too, however, Honolulu can be a really gritty urban place, and hip hop is really popular there...
Unfortunately, since NWA infested our planet, every urban place has it's "gangsta" element...

so, in the original popular series, the hippies and their counterculture were often bad guys (when it wasn't Red China or WWII Japanese ex-pats hiding out on the islands) , so don't be surprised if the "gangstas" will be the bad guys as often, and Islamic Fundamentalists/Middle Easterners will be the "new" bad guys.
So, of course, the crappy music needs to follow suit.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.