Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

MadDog Mike's Platterful of Pupule - Pele Fence Hanger

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,035 replies

Dammmmmmm
I'm hungry now

Pig Cheeks are supposed to be the best part. Did you take the head home? Wendy

Wow! That reminds me of many a Christmas eve. Sadly as my parents & uncles get older there is less of the whole pig roasting thing...

W

WOW Mike! That looked awesome, loves me some roasted hog!

Sorry about the thread hijacking Mike! :) Pigjacking?

Looking forward to trailer pics!

Wendy, we took the cheeks off but I didn't keep the pig head - maybe it would have made a good mold for a mug :lol:

I got a chance to do a little work on my trailer and have almost finished up my Christmas present benches.

I cut a piece of 4 inch memory foam that fills the entire inside of my trailer for a bed and sewed a removable fleece cover for it (I hate sewing knits! And it has enough static electricity to power a small villiage, I hope it doesn't shock the bejesus out of me while I'm asleep!)

I made curtains from Dawn's fabric and started working on a matching border to go all the way around the inside of the trailer. In retrospect, I should have pained the border orange to start with and painted the brown (darker) over the orange (lighter).

The benches are ceramic decor embedded in concrete benches. The Hula Dancer and Mermaid benches are acid stained a blue/green color, it washed out in the picture. The Fall Leaves and Garden Gnomes are acid stained brown. (The legs for the blue/green benches are staining as the picture was taken)

Be good to yourself and to the ones you love
Life is short, smile while you still have your teeth.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2011-12-23 11:34 ]

Nice work on the teardrop, that's gonna be a lot of fun.. I'd go with biggest diameter wheel you can, it'll pull much nicer especially if you load it for trips.. Also auto tires are easier to replace, more places will be able to mount a new tire. Not a big issue, it's just fresh in my mind, I had to mount a trailer tire this summer with large screwdrivers because we couldn't find any place nearby that had a machine small enough.. I invented several new cuss words!!

Love the hula bench, cool ideas......

W

Don't know how I missed this earlier, cool interior Mike! That light fixture needs some tikification.

Hope you have a good holiday weekend.

Nice Mike, Thanks for letting us follow along with the trailer progress shots.

Wow Mike, the boarder matching the fabric is super cool while in warm colors. Just a thought my sister always built a false removable floor around 18 inches high with the mattress on top. That way you have storage underneath. She stored clothes and supplies in plastic baskets and tied a rope to each one. She used a stick to push them where she wanted them but used the rope to drag them back out. Are you going to install a fan?

The benches are wonderful. The staining really completes them. I'd love to see photos of those who receive them. Especially the elf family. I bet all the guys want to see the mermaids.

Hug your grandson for me, Wendy

Excellent job on that border! Looking great!

Merry Christmas!!!

From my Pride

And from my Joy

Thanks for all your support throughout the year.

T

Merry Christmas, Mike. You've got a fine-looking crew there! Hope the forthcoming year brings joy and good fortune to you and your family...

-Tom

H

Merry Christmas Mike. Love the Christmas card.

W

Merry Christmas Mike!

Love the family photo!

Merry Christmas from Dan and Wendy. Your Grandson is very brave to sit on that man's lap. All my photos with Santa have tears. Cheers, Wendy

Merry Christmas Mike! Great pics!

Ya know I am wishing you the same, Mike! now we got to get threw New Years.

Merry Christmas Mike!
Make it a MadDog one,buddy!

Merry Christmas Mike, love the photo. :)

Merry Christmas, brother!

Peace and blessings to you!

Merry Christmas MadDog!
Great meeting you at Mojave.

Thanks for all the Christmas love my friends :)

On 2011-12-23 14:38, WestADad wrote:
...That light fixture needs some tikification.

How's this Chris, I'm sticking with the Tahitian Cannibal motif

Still working on 18 feet of hand painted border. Needs a lot of touch-up still, seems like I need about 15 coats of the orange and yellow to get coverage over the brown. Hopefully I am doing some justice to the spirit of Dawn's original design

Ordered a magnetic sign to use as a decal on the side, I can put it inside when not in use so it doesn't fade in our hot desert sun. I need to order more fabric but Spoonflower is temporarily out of poplin.

Hi Mike your trailer looks better than a home with all your decorations. I love the light and wall paint. Wonderful in every way, Wendy

W

YES MIKE!!! Go! Go! Go!

New axle for my trailer FRESH from the junkyard. Everyone say "Owwwww, ohhhhh!" :lol:

Donated by a '93 Plymouth Voyager van. It will give me real tires and real bearings, plus the spare for my car will fit the trailer so I don't have to carry two spares. Now to get out the torch and welder to make it work :D

Which set looks beefier?

That axle is just sitting in place, still need to fabricate brackets to bolt it on. Got to get rid of the little square fenders and order big round ones (big & round is better right :D ). Now off to the shower!

Wow Mike, that project is bigger than I could have imagined. A manly project! What a great way to spend the new year rolling down the highway to a tiki event. Wendy

WC

A man of many talents.

W

Have welder, will travel!

Love this kind of stuff Mike! Wish I was there to help or watch! :) The boy says you need some cool Mooneye hubcaps with a tiki design on them.

Happy New Year!

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 03:23:47 ]

Thanks guys, I'm having fun. Pop, it's got some small leafsprings on it that should do the job.

Does this look 2.5 inches narrower?

I can weld some but it never looks pretty, so I suckered my brother into doing it for me. Before you give me a safety lecture on welding without a helmet, I want to point out that it was just a quick tack and he is looking away :lol:

We cut out 2.5 inches and shoved a short piece of pipe inside the axle. We bolted a 2x6 to the axle to keep it all straight & lined up, tacked it a few placed, checked it for square, then welded it all back together. I got called it to work tonight but hopefully tomorrow afternoon I'll get it bolted in place. Hope to take my trailer on a maiden voyage out to the desert next weekend.

On an unrelated note, I vacuum packed my 4 inch memory foam mattress into a 18x18x12 inch lump for safe storage in the house. It looks like a wrinkled, oversized dog turd :D

Mugs, benches, trailers, and now shrink wrapping turds... U da man...

TAHITIAN CANNIBAL MOTIF!!!
:o
Lookin awesome so far Mike!
'cept the giant turd...
:)

this trailer is gonna win some awards!
:)

Man it is all coming together tiki-rifficaly! Always fun to see the progress on your projects. I had no idea you could weld... how come I have never seen a metal welded tiki from you? :wink:

Thanks for following along, I think I'm WINNING!
Axle bolted in just like it was supposed to. Pulled of the brake drums and stripped out a pile of brake parts I don't need any more. Next I'll pack the wheel bearings with some fresh grease and it will be ready for fenders and wheels. Thanks to some sort of computer glitch, I now have 4 fenders in route from Northern Tools instead of two but I'll get that worked out :lol:

Tiger, that welder is my brother. I can stick pieces of metal together but they never turn out pretty enough to be "art" :D

W

Brakes? We don' need no stinkin' brakes!

Looking good Mike, please re-torque your u-bolt nuts after a test drive okay? I speak from experience!

[ Edited by: WestADad 2012-01-05 17:07 ]

I just love a guy who knows his nuts and bolts and how to torque. You guys rock. No worries not wearing a helmet when welding. I used to do oxygen acetylene torch welding and when the flux made it explode and the shrapnel came down on my head it just seared my scalp and never set my hair on fire. Goggles however are a must at least he looked away. Keep up the good work and keep posting the photos, hugs, Wendy

Mike, You are the Trailer King!

Mike what are you...a renaissance man now? Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the trailer in person because it looks just amazing so far in pics!

Chris and Wendy, you are too funny :lol: Chris, thanks for the tip on those U-bolts. Chuck, I hope you talk your wife into camping out at MOasis2 so you can see it in person!

Sandra if by "renaissance man" you mean "jack of all trades and master of none" then, yes I'm a renaissance man :D

I had to work half a day today so nothing too exciting. I made a couple of blocks to go under the leveling jacks. They nest together to conserve space which is important in a 28 square foot trailer!

Notice the purty new tires? I'm not so good at math so I don't understand why two $50 tires cost $160 :-?

I've never had a trailer Mike but I'm guessing that the jacks and blocks are to make the trailer stable when it's parked and in use? They aren't for changing the tires, right? That's great they fit like a puzzle. Cheers, Wendy

Yes Wendy, the blocks level and stabilize the trailer when parked. Got the rest of my curtain cloth in today from Spoonflower and my magnetic sign in too. It was a good mail day - all goodies and no bills! :D

It will look better when the trailer is painted Stone White (cream color). Speaking of paint, I stopped by the paint store today - epoxy primer, acrylic urethane paint, hardeners and reducers will come out to about $400 - why does everything have to cost so much?! :o Hopefully I will get it painted this month.

Be good to yourself and to the ones you love
Life is short, smile while you still have your teeth.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-01-09 20:51 ]

Paint...Shmaint... Just go pick up 2 gallons of house paint at Home Depot and call it a day..:D
Love the decals, Going to look awesome on the white..

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 03:17:49 ]

Beachbumz speaks truth.
Throw your money away someplace else.
Jazz it up like a 2 tone shoe.
Tan & creamy white.

W

Awesome decals Mike!

Chris

Found some much better prices for automotive paint online, closer to $200. Fenders are in and ready to be bolted on.

How about a Tahitian Cannibal pillow case? (iron on)

This just gets better and better. How creative you are. Love the cannibal, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3035 replies