Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

MadDog Mike's Platterful of Pupule - Pele Fence Hanger

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,035 replies

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! & !!!!!!!!

Hey mike, Great job, cant wait to see it! love the pilloiwcases!!!!!!!!!

96 days Amy, can't wait!!!

Took my Tahitian Cannibal out to Superstition Mountain on it's maiden voyage last night. Very comfy to sleep in - nice mattress, plenty of space for me, and toasty warm with no heater (outside temp in the mid 40s)

Here's my 2 year old grandson "Goobie" enjoying the desert :D

Came back with lot's of ideas of things to apply the Tahitian Cannibal motif to - folding chairs, steel firepit, wooden doormat, minibike? - who knows what else :lol:

Hi Mike great photos, Goobie is such a doll. I wish we all could be at Amy's, one day we'll make it there. I'll be looking forward to all the accoutrement's! Wendy

Goobie is a doll Wendy, he's the light of my face :) Nothing real exciting here tonight, just a little proof of life. Out in the desert this past weekend I made a discovery - when other people track sand into their RV it gets on their floor. When I track sand into my trailer it gets in my bed! :lol: So I needed a good door mat. I made this from a 2x4, some wooden beads, and a bit of hardware. Nice wide slots for the sand to fall through.

The cable and cable clamp recess into a slot and hole in the last board

I found a place inside to store my Tahitian Cannibal magnetic signs when my trailer is not in use :D

Thanks for following along.

Be good to yourself and to the ones you love
Life is short, smile while you still have your teeth.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-01-19 15:50 ]

Wow oh wow you are such an imaginative man. I loved this story and the wooden mat. Sand in ones bed is not a fun thing thanks for sharing the the fix, Wendy

Hellz Yea! Mike it really came together.

Excellent! and the first out-in-the-open test was a success!
Very clever with the doormat,BTW!
MOasis here you come! :)

Amazing! Tiki door mats...What will they think of next! :D

S

On 2008-09-05 10:42, MadDogMike wrote:
I had fun with this hat but obviously, Cammo is the master.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25149&forum=12
While I was batiking my shirt, I did a pleated hatband too. Added an acrylic painting on top and a sort of Heitiki made of polymer clay to the front. The black shows through the paint to echo the crackle effect of the batik

I think my hatmaking is a little like my stockmarket purchases; I started with a $6 hat and now it's worth about $2 :lol:

Mike you look a litle stiff... :)

V

LOVE the camper!

Ms. VanTiki and I have always said that if we lived on the mainland, we'd build a teardrop trailer and drive for days and days. Roadtrips and an endless land horizon are the main thing I miss about life on the other side of the Pacific.

Henrik

T

Mike!

..looking awesome, brother...
You weren't in the superstition mountains over here east of Phoenix, we're you?
If so, you better hit me up next time...

Peace.

(this was supposed to be a PM :lol: )

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-01-19 20:33 ]

B

On 2012-01-15 11:19, MadDogMike wrote:
96 days Amy, can't wait!!!

Took my Tahitian Cannibal out to Superstition Mountain on it's maiden voyage last night. Very comfy to sleep in - nice mattress, plenty of space for me, and toasty warm with no heater (outside temp in the mid 40s)

Here's my 2 year old grandson "Goobie" enjoying the desert :D

Came back with lot's of ideas of things to apply the Tahitian Cannibal motif to - folding chairs, steel firepit, wooden doormat, minibike? - who knows what else :lol:

Carl's folks live in Gold Canyon, AZ on one end of Superstition - Carl's climbed it too! Lovely photos!

Henrik, Jason, Regan - so good to hear from you. My Superstition Mountain is in south east California, not Arizona. Guess that's a popular name for a mountain.

You want to see a secret treasure trove?

It doesn't look like much, but it's the junk accumulation of 90 years of family farming and it's behind my house. It has been picked thin lately, a lot of the stuff went off to the scrapyard a few years back when iron prices skyrocketed. But I can still head back there and find junk to make things from. I decided I needed a Tahitian Cannibal firepit, so I went to my private junkyard and found a propane tank & an axle tube from a '32 Mercury banjo differential and made one :D

I wish I had access to a plasma cutter instead of the oxygen/acetylene torch but it is what it is. In retrospect, if I had worn shoes while using the torch I wouldn’t have blisters on the top of my feet now :lol: This is what it looks like all lit up. Hopefully the 2000 degree "Very High Temperature" paint will stay on.

One of the advantages of being a hobbyist instead of a professional is that I can afford to waste a few hours on details no one will ever notice. I bought some hubcaps for my trailer that pretty well matched the alloy rims on my car. But they were just begging for a Tahitian Cannibal logo in the center.

I needed a material that was durable, weather resistant, and fadeproof - oh, ceramics! Now to see if E3000 adhesive will secure them or if the will go spinning off into orbit on my way to Newberry Springs.

I had a hard time painting 1.5 inch tall figures, my eyes and nerves aren’t what they used to be :D

Wow I love the junkyard. That was a treasure hunt through all those parts and it sure paid off big time. Such a cool fire pit. Dawn will want to own this trailer so you better have a boot for one of the tires. Cute really cute centers for the hub caps. I wish this would never end and that it will be like the Winchester house with something new being made every week. Great Mike, Wendy

On 2012-01-22 20:10, MadDogMike wrote:

Mike, is that a tank back there!?! Sweet!

Thank you Wendy. Bill I played back there as a kid, my children played on that junk, and in a couple of years my grandsons will be old enough to play there too. Through the eyes of a ten year old boy, that is indeed a Sherman tank. To the rest of the world though, it is the basket of a John Deere cotton picker circa 1970.

H
Heath posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2012 8:00 AM

On 2012-01-22 20:10, MadDogMike wrote:

What year is the Minor and what are your plans for it?

Mike, when my guys in Mojave get stuff I always ask "where did that come from" They always respond with "Out There" I know can visual what out there means :)

The trailer was scheduled to be painted today but too much wind, maybe tomorrow?

Next project - Tahitian Cannibal Table:
A $10 Big!Lots glass topped table that's been sitting on the deck for 2 years

Some orange spray paint

A slab of clay cut into 40 pieces

Ordered some background tiles

Now the clay dries for a week weighted between 2 pieces of wallboard so it dries flat

Hope you loosen up on your theme abit when packing your food for Mojave Oasis! :D

On 2012-01-28 20:13, zerostreet wrote:
Hope you loosen up on your theme a bit when packing your food for Mojave Oasis! :D

Not a chance, I'm gonna take this to the wall - all food will be brown, orange, and yellow!

Beef kabobs with orange bell peppers on a bed of saffron rice, pineapple & mango with chocolate Belgian waffles, Fanta orange soda

I made a Tahitian Cannibal "branding iron" to mark my grilled cheese sandwiches (cheddar, of course) and my peanut butter & orange marmalade sandwiches too.

Breakfast

I've even done some experimentation with a possible Tent 'n Trailer Crawl drink made from Tamarind nectar, Orange juice, and Pineapple juice.

( :wink: )

Never get Tazed on a full bladder.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-01-29 21:32 ]

OBSESSION by Calvin.... Coolidge!
:lol:
Incredible Mike!
All the way down to the branding iron!
you amaze....

You made a branding iron? That's crazy genius stuff, Mike!

W

You had my undivided attention already. And then you went and said "chocolate Belgian waffles"!

:)

Fantastic stuff Mike!

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 03:17:07 ]

You need to post that grilled cheese on the food thread, It's a "Tiki" sandwich!

OK, I lied about the branding iron - that's a Photoshop job :D

But it would be cool to make one. I have a plan for casting metal in my kiln, I may have to try that someday. Aluminum melts at 1220 degrees, that's about cone 019 - pretty low temp. Brass melts at 1710, cone 08. I regularly run my kiln up to cone 04, about 1950 degrees.

Why I oughta!

Carrots, cantalope and my favorite brownies! I am inspired to add food to my posts. So I did on the International Marketplace thread. Cheers, Wendy

so cool,all matching, thats my style!I wish I could bring jahmbi and park next to you.

Thank you for all the kind comments my friends. Dawn, I'm glad you approve - I wish you were bringing Jahmbi down too.

Now I'm getting somewhere, got the outside of my trailer painted! I suckered my brother Greg into spraying it for me (he's a good brother). He is much better than me at the "manly arts" like auto body repair, welding and construction. He did a good job - good coverage, no runs, drips, orange peel, overspray, etc.

You like my high-tech paint booth? :lol: I used epoxy primer and single stage acrylic enamel paint. It's not the very best paint around but it's much better than rattle-can and I won't be entering in the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance anyway.
I count about 77 days to Mojave Oasis, I'm about done with the major work I wanted to get done - the rest is just fluff. I do still want to put some Formica in the back kitchen area. But probably won't be cooking for Mojave Oasis so I'll just paint there now and Formica at some later date.

Before & After

This trailer was built by my brother Bryan who passed away in 2010 before he got it finished.
I think Bryan would approve :)

Never get Tazed on a full bladder.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-02-03 15:05 ]

I think there is room for a small sun deck? where is the bar?
it needs flames, yes more flames!

You done real good Mike.

W

That is damn cool Mike! I'm with CTIT, needs more flames, coming from two torches mounted on the fenders!!!

Hi Mike, I think Bryon, your mom and dad and all your friends would think you have made this a very special place to be. I hope one day that Dan and I will be sitting in its shade having a visit with you. Very cool, Wendy

Beautiful job Mike!

Mike, You are an amazing artist and friend!!!!!!!! I love how you do what you do with nothing but your great imagination!

P

WOW, Mike!! I honestly can't think of another artist in "tiki" that's got such a wide range of mediums that they can lay claim too, whether you like it or not, you're truly and artist, your skills and imagination and creativity are amazing...I always check your thread for updates...Please keep inspiring.

Mahalo,

Paul

Chuck, Chris, Wendy, Robert, Amy, and Paul - thank you all so very much for your kind and sincere comments, they keep me going :)

Here's my next project on Dawn's Tahitian Cannibal motif - an 18x18 inch mosaic table. The 32 main pieces were cut from a wet slab, fired, glazed, and glued to the tempered glass table top. The squares are commercial glass tiles also glued to the glass. Next I'll get out the nippers and cut all the partial tiles that are needed to finish it. Brown grout will complete the design.

One of a kind work of art. A beautiful tiki to enhance your dining experience. Mike you are a tiki miracle worker. Wendy

That's Mike-O-Riffic!

WOW that is incredibly cool Mike!

W

!!!!!!! :)

More cool stuff from the Man, the Myth, the Legend, the MadDog!!

H
Heath posted on Thu, Feb 9, 2012 7:25 AM

Where do you find the time?
Let me guess, you don't need to sleep, that's what caffeine is for.

P

Awesome again, Mike. One thought for the table before it's finished, maybe keep some space between the tiles without grout, or use silicone between them and light it from underneath with leds...That would be neat...

PW

Other people would be happy with the little table, but that's just part of your so-called "fluff." I, for one, hope you keep us up to date on what you do with the little kitchen area when you do get around to it. ImportFood.com has some great outdoor wok set-ups: you, of course, would glance at them and build improved ones out of chicken wire, old toothpaste tubes and gently used chewing gum.

It's always fun to watch the work. Thanks for sharing it.

[ Edited by: Professor G 2012-02-09 17:56 ]

Frig, that's a real beaute, Mike! All in ORANGE, too, my favorite! We need more tile and mosaic works here!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3035 replies