Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

MadDog Mike's Platterful of Pupule - Pele Fence Hanger

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,035 replies

Z

On 2012-03-22 18:27, MadDogMike wrote:
ATP ~ In a hundred years that will be one of those things like "B-side" or "E ticket ride" People will say it and no one will have any idea why!

H10, it's good to be king!
Zero, good one! But I can't believe "It's a Small World" was an E-Ticket ride (no disrespect to Mary Blair)

I went ahead and painted some designs on the Solomon Island War Canoe. I don't know how they will hold up to being inflated, deflated, folded, unfolded, etc. But all I have to lose is 3 bucks worth of paint. I found some jute colored poly rope to rig it with.

I got the magnet mounted in the nguzunguzu, it holds to the canoe well. It also makes a good refrigerator magnet :D

It was a 2 inch diameter magnet with a hook. I recessed it into the bottom of the foam and pushed a dowel through the foam to catch the hook. Then I glued it all together with E6000. I think it will hold.

Look out Mojave Oasis!!! :lol:

Great, now I've got this dumb tune stuck in my head... So you might as well have it stuck in your's too.

:music: It’s the Nguzunguzu canoe, coming right at you...
It’s the Nguzunguzu canoe, coming right at you! :music:

Bear

Wow that canoe looks great. Also I think everyone needs one of those magnets stuck on the refrigerator! Super fun, Wendy

Mike you Beautiful Bastard!

Easy when ya open da frig
Shin target

"Hey, check out that guy in the Tiki dashiki," they'll all say. "Have you seen his new nguzunguzu?"

Thanks guys :)

Bear, that song brought some flashbacks and I don't know from where? I know that song, I knew the words and was able to sing along but I'm not sure where I would have seen it. I didn't watch any TV in the 70s, especially childrens programming and my children don't remember it from the 80s. Catchy tune though :D

Did some more experimentation on Tahitian Cannibal Cookies, this time it worked out much better.

Upper left is the cookie stamp, design carved into a slab of clay which was fired but not glazed. Stamped shortbread cookie (white) and flourless peanut butter cookie (brown) Maybe I can drybrush the shortbreak cookie with orange food coloring to hit just the raised image? Also have a recipe for a "stampable" ginger cookie (that's tropical-ish) or steal a page from Professor Gee's cookbook and make Chinese Five Spice cookies (Faux Polynesian)

Floored by your creativity. You ARE unstoppable. I love the cookie designs. I hope they also taste as good as they look. You build, sew shirts and hats, bake cookies and weird cakes at Christmas, design canoes, do ceramics and even style your own hair. Outstanding. Way to go Mike, Wendy

Thanks Wendy, if I just had a FlowBee I could even cut my own hair! :D

P

MDM,

You are the best, I knew you wouldn't let that rest until you made it work. Congrats on yet ANOTHER concept brought to fruition. Your posts keep me inspired...

Mahalo,

Paul

You know you could have a tiki design cut into the hair on the back of your head...NOT! Wendy

"If I only had a FlowBee"
hmmm......
sounds like a MDM challenge

W

I will take One........Two.........Three...........Four Cookies!

GAH!!! Mike! Flowbee... Really??? Those dang commercials gave me nightmares as a kid I thought I had forgotten all that.

You owe me a tiki cookie which I will munch on in a corner all curled up in a ball trying to forget the flowbee.

What's next? Once on a roll it is hard to stop the momentum! Roll baby roll, Wendy

On 2012-03-29 06:08, MadDogMike wrote:
Thanks Wendy, if I just had a FlowBee I could even cut my own hair! :D

It's the real life Ned Flanders, Hi-dilly-ho, neighborinos!

Absolutely awesome as always Mike. May the winds be kind to you on your journeys and your cookies always stay Tiki!!!

C

Your thread it's so fun and creative, I always get surprised, how can you have so many skills?? even cooking, you are like creativity tornado, spilling awesomeness in every direction :)

yea cookie sucess!

lookin way to kool MDM

I can't help but love this photo. A superb pinup. Wendy

Thanks guys :D

The Tahitian Cannibal Tour just returned from El Golfo de Santa Clara, Mexico (at the Northern tip of the Sea of Cortez)

I'm very happy with my little trailer - it tows well, even in high wind, it's comfy, cozy, and just the right size for me. El Golfo is an unusual place, a little fishing village that busts at the seams on Easter weekend. You can load up 3 of your best friends on a single quad with beers in each hand and ride down the main street with no helmets. At low tide, the beach itself turns into a parade ground/drag strip for hundreds of cars, everything from 4x4s to old Nissan Sentras and new Chrysler 300Ms. This guy was here again this year in his 6 wheel Jeep complete with a stripper pole on the back.

Of course, time and tide await no man and inevitably, someone gets their car stuck in the sand. This one spent the night completely submerged before they were able to dig it out in the morning. That's an expensive lobster pot! :o

This outing gave me the opportunity to make a nice list of things I need for MOJAVE OASIS in a couple of weeks!

B

Great pics Mike! The stripper Jeep is very cool, not sure if I'd want to see her strip though.. :wink:

I felt like I was there with you Mike, having fun and watching people. Sounds like Mohave, Caliente and Oasis. I'm very glad you are home and safe. Cheers, Wendy

glad u had fun brother

W

Glad you had fun Mike! Glad that guy above had his clothes on for that picture! :)

Don't know if you have seen "redneck wine glasses" but I had a plan to take that concept and make it into a Redneck Tiki Mug. I decided Dusty Cajun had the most redneck Tiki name and that I would spring it on him at Mojave Oasis. I had a mold laying around from a previous project so quickly whipped one together and scratched his name on it.

DC was a good sport, he even told me he liked it but I think I saw it "accidentally" sitting on the rear bumper of his RV as he pulled away :lol: :wink:

Edit - spelling

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" Friedrich Nietzsche

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-04-23 21:38 ]

That's nice, right there, although I think TrailerPark Tiki would have been a good candidate as well, as names go. It's good to see the MDM creative juices still a-flowing.

ERROR!

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-04-23 21:53 ]

He's a lucky guy Mike to own such a cool MadDog mug. Looks like a great party. I loved all the photos on the event link too. Wendy

Love it Mike!

You are so amazingly clever.

T

Love it. Absolutely love it.

Nice pics of you and the Hannibal Cannibal van at Mojave...

I'm still alive, just have several non-tiki projects I need to work on. One of the projects I was doing inspired a (secret) Pele project (might be posted this coming week :D ) and reminded me that I wanted to post this tip;

Using Tissue Paper on Soft Slab Forms
Anyone working with clay is probably familiar with the soft slab technique of forming clay around a newspaper wrapped cylinder. After the clay has dried and firmed some, the newspaper allows the clay to slide off the cylinder instead of sticking to it.

You can also use this technique for bowls, plates, and platters. But, newspaper does not conform well to the curves. The key to this technique is to use tissue paper ~ cut a square of tissue paper slightly bigger than your form, wet the form with water, press the tissue paper onto the form. As the paper soaks up the water you can carefully smooth it out to the contours of the form. Use two layers of tissue and let it dry, then lay your slab of clay over the form.

You can even use more complex forms like a fishbowl. Cut the tissue into strips, wet the form, and lay the strips around it like it like paper mache. After the tissue has dried, lay the soft slab over the form and work it smooth, you may have to pinch extra clay into “darts” (dressmaker darts, not pub throwing darts) and cut off the excess. Add more slabs of clay as needed to cover the form and blend them in well, strive to achieve an even thickness all over the form. When it has dried enough to be firm, it obviously won’t slide off of the fishbowl, you will need to cut if off. Cut the shaped clay into 2 or more pieces (depending on the complexity of the form) and remove it from the form. Then score and slip the edges and put it back together. You will probably have some pieces of tissue stuck to the inside of your clay, you can pull these out as it dries and smooth it out, any residual paper will burn out when the piece is fired.

Here are a few of the items I have covered with tissue to use as forms for clay.

Hi Mike, that was an invaluable tool to learn. I've never even heard of it until now. I'm going to cut and paste it to your email address so I can remember it. Thank you. I'm glad to see you here again, Wendy

I've been missing the MadDog's platterful of crafty. Interesting stuff, as always.

Thank you Wendy & Greg. Here's the piece I made by soft slabbing over that tissue covered styrofoam skull. I posted it in the Pele Art Swap thread too, I thought I would "spread the joy" in case anyone missed it there :D

Years ago, while hiking near Na'alehu on the southern slopes Mauna Loa, I ran across an old run-down hut in a clearing. I could see smoke from the cook fire so I shouted "Aloha" and out came a very ancient looking man. We talked for a while, he told me he had been a kahuna at the ‘Iolani Palace before the invasion of the haoles. That he had moved to this remote area to find some peace. Then he lowered his voice and looked around - "There's something I want to show you" he said and motioned me into his hut.

Once inside the dark and smoky hut he handed me something round and hard. As my eyes adjusted, I could see that it was a human skull! He whispered "This is the actual skull of the goddess Pele". I examined the object in my hands, it was smooth black snowflake obsidian with traces of lava flowing down the sides. From the fissures and the hollow eye sockets emanated an orange glow and it was warm to the touch. “It won’t be long now until I go to live with the ancestors” the aged one told me “I can sell it to you for $100”

How could I pass up a chance to own the real skull of Pele!? He even had a certificate of authenticity from the Territory of Hawaii Bureau of Antiquities dated 1932. I paid him, packed the skull carefully in my backpack and brought it home where I displayed it proudly.

Last year, I was back in Hawai’i and found the dilapidated grass shack again. There was still smoke coming from the hut so I called out and the wizened old man came forth. He hadn’t changed a bit, still looking not a day younger than 150. I could tell he didn’t remember me as he told me his story and invited me into his hut again. He handed me another skull and said “This is the actual skull of the goddess Pele”. “Wait a minute” I said “When I was here several years ago you sold me the ‘actual skull of the goddess Pele’ for a hundred bucks and it was much larger than this one”. “Yes” he said “I know, this is the skull of Pele when she was just a little girl”. :lol:

OK, this isn’t really a Swap project ~ just a little something for inspiration and entertainment. :D

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" Friedrich Nietzsche

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-05-15 08:54 ]

LOLOLOLOL!
Great story Mike!

MadDog its wonderful to see you back at the kiln. That's a wonderful skull of Pele. The glaze is terrific. See you soon, Wendy

Thank you Lori & Wendy

I didn't have anything to do with making this Tater Tot but hopefully his parents will let me help mold him :D

My latest grandson. Just a little peanut; 6 lbs and 1 oz, 19 inches. Mom and baby are fine, big brother gets to spend the next 2 nights here at Poppi's house.

And another big congratulations to ya old man!
they could not have a better grand dad.

MDM,
Congrats
But if u took the pic, I think he's laughing at u

C u in Palm Springs gramps

Kinda looks like he may have his Poppi's hair.

Congratulations Mike!

Bear

W

A toast to a long, happy healthy life for the little guy! Glad everyone is doing well.

Congrats!

P

Congrats Mike,

Another tikiphile in the making...

Aloha!!

Paul

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3035 replies