Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

MadDog Mike's Platterful of Pupule - Pele Fence Hanger

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,035 replies

Hey Mikey
I like it...............

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-04-27 19:33 ]

Mike, you always have some of the coolest projects. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

• Dale
C
cy posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2014 8:34 AM

An excellent start MadDog!

Awesome MM, you never sit still... I think your veins are full of java. :wink:

Holy cow!!! That is going to be wicked. You have a wonderful mind...the rest of you....uhhhhhh. LOL

Thanks for your kind comments friends. And thanks for your comments too Marlene... I think :lol: Just Kidding :lol:

I glazed and fired the outside first, I knew it would get messy trying to glaze the inside of the "anterior chamber" behind the eyes. With the outside glazed it was a simple matter to wipe off the excess glaze with a damp rag.

The glaze on the first one from the Swap didn't turn out quite like I wanted, 2 coats of green opalescent glaze covered too much of the base color underglaze. This time I used 4 shades of tan and brown underglaze and only one coat of opalescent. Looks more like a jungle artifact with color variations and a subtle green moss-like overtone.

Back in the kiln today to fire in black interior glaze then to the lathe to make a bamboo pole from a wooden dowel.

The Mad 1 kickin ars as usual...

Looks like it came from a dig in the jungles of PNG. Wendy

T

Mike, looks AWESOME!

I hope I don't have a mirror on me when I look like that some day.... :wink:

Jon, Wendy & David - thanks :)

My lathe skills are not up to par but hopefully that dowel will look like a bamboo stake when I get some paint on it

That skull turned out amazing!! I think the dowel is very "bambooesque" without paint so I'm sure that once you apply the MDM Magic to it, we will all be convinced it is a real piece of bamboo. :)

• Dale

Thank you Dale :)

Polymer clay frog. Up next a coat of Envirotex for the frog, the "bamboo" & the tree stump

That is one very happy looking frog.

• Dale

Scary and cute. You do it all. Wendy

G
GROG posted on Fri, May 2, 2014 9:25 AM

Looking good, Doggers.

"Scary and cute". Wendy, that would have been a clever juxtaposition if I had planned it. Instead it was just serendipity :)
Dale - thank you
GROG!!! - good to see you again.

I think I'm done. It could use some feather adornment but it will be displayed outside so probably not. Put a nice coat of 2 part epoxy EnviroTex all over the stand and frog to give it a wet glossy look.

Looks cool Mike! You are always thinking outside the box and it works great.

C

:D the most creative guy ever!

T

Saw it on FB, but wanted to comment here too. It looks wicked! Wendy is right - like something you'd see on a dark forbidden trail in PNG. Why am I obsessed with skulls and shrunken heads?

That's smokin hot

WC

Over the top !
Well done.

T

Looking killer, as usual, Mike!

H

Love it, it's smoking hot.

T

On 2014-05-04 21:57, hang10tiki wrote:
That's smokin hot

Heh heh.

Mike, I assume you're using dry ice for the smoke? Part of me wonders if you've developed a new MDM-systematic smoke expeller? (I wouldn't put it past ya!) :wink:

C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 8, 2014 9:25 AM

I wonder why some people just don't get "Tiki" -

... anyway, great work! Put a red light in there somewhere, boy!

I just finished all 133 pages, all I can say is amazing. To think you only had 1 class of formal training. You definitely have the soul of an artist.

Storm

Thanks for the encouragement my friends :)

Finished up my Alien Kane for the Space/Alien/Robot Tiki Art Swap

The pocket behind the Kane holds a glowstick for out-of-this-world special effects

Working on a Tiki Doghouse for 2 small dogs. Need to add some thatch or reed fence to the roof still

Thought about carving a ridgebeam but decided on a ceramic iguana instead

Made of paperclay, the wooden plug above the Pepsi can gets screwed to the doghouse, then the iguana slides onto it. The hole in the side of the head will hold a dowel to secure the iguana to the wooden plug.

When I am finished firing, I will post some construction details specific to paperclay on the Paperclay & Other Abominations thread.

Your Xenomorph mug requires a Predator mug followed by someone to come along and ruin the franchise with a bad drink.

Here ya go Wizz, the Green Eyes

1.5 oz Midori melon liqueur
2 oz rum
1 oz lime juice
1 oz cream of coconut
3 oz pineapple juice
(It was a yellow green color so I added just a splash of Blue Curacao to pump up the green)

That makes one want to get to the choppah.

Loving the finished mug and that Iguana for the A-frame doghouse is too cool!

Just curious, what kind of ventilation does the doghouse have? I know the heat there can be rough and was just curious what you were planning....or is that a small oven? HAHAHA Just teasing, I know it will be awesome.

• Dale

:lol: It's an above-ground imu Dale, ready for some kalua dog? :lol:
It actually has a 5K BTU window unit on the back (100 bucks at Lowes) One of the dogs is a pug and they don't tolerate heat with their short (or absent) noses. We're gonna be out of town a lot this summer so he can stay cool without being in the house

Now that is one pampered pet. :)

• Dale

Hey Mikey, I like it

That looks like it hurt! :lol:

Finished iguana head, 7 inches long & 4 inches in diameter.

I may be too embarrassed to post a picture of the finished "tiki" dog house with the lizard :blush: My plan was burned wood sides and reed fence roof but I have been out voted by my new step-daughters (the dogs belong to them) They are thinking pink & turquoise, more along the lines of Miami Vice :lol:

Wow! Awesome work Mike!

C
cy posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2014 8:41 AM

I wanna that iguana Mike, awesome!

T

Mike, perfect. Now I have to find photos of my old pet iguana to compare yours to- which looks like its twin.

Look what happens when he blinks

Lovin the Iguana head. Too cool! Embrace your inner Miami Vice. I have to admit that in the 80s I lived in an apartment with a turquoise kitchen with peach cabinets. Perhaps you can do Pink & Turquoise tapa pattern on the front. :)

• Dale

What's up Skipper?

Did I forget to tell you I got a gig as a rum bottle model? :lol:

It's time for some honeymoon photos or a link to them. I've been patiently waiting. Wendy

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 18, 2014 10:08 PM

The only photo from Mike's honeymoon.

OK Wendy, here's some Honeymoon pictures although it wasn't quite a "traditional" honeymoon. Teresa is a 1st grade teacher and she could only get a few days off right after the wedding so we took a 2 night "cruise" on the Queen Mary in Long Beach

Took a day trip over to Catalina Island

Back home for 2 weeks then off to Oahu for 10 days for a "family honeymoon" with Teresa's 2 daughters and another family :lol: The Hawaiian trip was already planned years before I came along, we just decided to get married before the trip and call it a honeymoon. Stayed in a 4 bedroom house at the foot of Diamond Head, here is a rainbow over Diamond Head taken from the park a block away

Byodo In Buddhist Temple

Cliff diving at Halona Bay

OK, that cliff wasn't over the water so I didn't dive :wink: It was just a random, remote beach that we stoppped at. Teresa and I were lounging on the beach watching the kids swim and she said we should re-enact the famous kissing-in-the-surf scene in "From Here to Eternity". We had no ideas that was the actual beach where that scene was filmed 60 years ago! FREAKY!!!!

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay

Pirate ship in Kewalo Bay

Family shot in downtown Waikiki

Hiking to Manoa Falls

Pearl Harbor

Polynesian Cultural Center

Obligatory PhotoShop of me surfing with a shark at North Shore :wink:

Swimming with the turtles in Turtle Canyon offshore from Waikik Beach

Very beautiful and relaxing. I had been before but Teresa and the girls had not. It was fun to see it for the first time through their eyes.

Mad-Man

Awesome pics bruddah
Makes me want to go back to da islands
Congratulations again

Jon

Congrats Mike. You are soooo deserving of a good life. Cheers Brother!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3035 replies