Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

MadDog Mike's Platterful of Pupule - Pele Fence Hanger

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,035 replies

M
mp posted on Wed, Sep 2, 2009 7:26 PM

Awesommmmmmmmmme Mike. So cool! Inspiration for us all.
I love the little bubbles in the pool. I got to get going
on my project. You Rock!

T

Too cool for school!!

Kinny, great to have you back - now get to posting art!
Tabor, thanks. I have to admit I like the way this turned out :D
TikiG you gave me an idea - how about a mug with a little pump, the Blue Hawaiian drink from inside the mug is pumped over the edge to become the waterfall? OK, maybe not!
Dawn, I'm not sure about any flaming drinks- I drink mostly Pepsi and it doesn't burn well.
Wendy, thanks - I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Leleliz, what's next? I've got another menu inspired mug planned but I got a couple other mug projects planned, we'll see if I squeeze in a 3rd mug before the deadline.
MP - YOU rock! Isn't it time for you to post more art?
TikiMango, I was looking at your amazing work a couple of days ago and have been meaning to leave you a few comments.

Mike's been bizzy in the tiki lab!
The polynesian mug is mindblowing!

And this one is outta sight! I think
my fav of yours so far. Great meeting you
at Oasis!

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Sep 3, 2009 8:10 PM

On 2009-09-02 07:59, MadDogMike wrote:
OK, I finished my "Polynesian" mug for the Menu Art Swap

Evil Genius.

Thank you Jason, we're still awaiting post-Oasis postings from you!
Bowana, if anyone would recognize evil-genius it would be YOU! :) Thanks

I've had a small pond on my Lanai for several years that I made from a couple of concrete pipes. I had originally covered it with cedar boards but I have been inspired by the TC gardens to step it up a notch. So I took off the boards and faced it with lava stone. I plan to cover the top edge with some very dark slate, but my only local landscape rock supplier is out right now :(

CAUTION - UNORTHODOX TECHNIQUE!!!!! I used black dye in my mortar but neither the rocks nor the mortar turned out as dark as I wanted so I SPRAY PAINTED them! I figure the paint will stick well to the rough porous stone. I'm sure it will fade in a year or two but I can fix that in ten minutes with a 98 cent can of flat black spray.

Before

After

L

Yay! So glad i finally get to see the finished water fall! Looks amazing. keep it up!

B

Really nice Mike...your just on fire man!

Thank you Lorilei and Babalu :)

Back to the Laboratory for work on an Aloha Jhoe's menu inspired piece. Still got a ways to go, will get a detachable jute skirt of some sort. About 13 inches tall with a removable lid, a straw hole in the left "horn", and a yet-to-be-revealed secret feature :D.

![](http://www.mgilbert.net/tiki lab banner.gif)
Clay, the original and most divine art media - Genesis 2:7

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-09-06 12:50 ]

:o Hot Damn, Dr. MadDog! :o

Foaming at the mouth! :D

Thank you Blacksandz

I've been experimenting with food and clay :) I've been working on a dessert inspired by Mama's Fish House Black Pearl Dessert. I made some ceramic shell plates and got the recipe right, but the mousse wouldn't hold the cookie upright! So back to the Laboratory to make plates with built-in cookie holders :D The shell is slump-formed over a real shell and overglazed with mother-of-pearl luster. Recipe is posted on page 2 of the above link

Mike great job on the waterfall mug, love it!!!!

Amy

Thanks Amy :) Glad you like it.

I wanted a quick little project so I made me a Maori Wahaika. It's kind of thick (about half an inch), I made it out of paperclay so can force dry it. I put some cracks and checking in it, I'll give it a brown wash to make it look like aged whalebone. 13 inches long, it will be heavy when done

![](http://www.mgilbert.net/tiki lab banner.gif)
Clay, the original and most divine art media - Genesis 2:7

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-09-09 19:06 ]

very cool!!!

Thank you Mooney, here's the finished product

Paperclay is really cool for quick projects. This is about 1/2 inch thick, with forced drying it took 48 hours from sculpt, through 2 firings, to finished and cooled.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o

GREAT pic, Mike! Sufficiently savage!

GT

Very Cool Stuff Mike, Nice to had seen you at Oasis, Great work my friend, Cheers! Gogo

I started with page one and couldn't stop, I enjoyed them all. I'm going to switch to clay soon and the tips from all the artists will help me too. You got me with the dime, I love being fooled. Thank you for sharing everything, Wendy

B

On 2009-09-11 19:10, MadDogMike wrote:

Hmm...your name's MadDogMike, is it? Can't imagine why...

Nice work as always, Mr. MadDog, Evil Genius.

Bowie

B

Very cool stuff MadDog!

Well folks, sorry if scared you with that picture :o

Gogo, Bowana, Sam - thank you very much.
Bill - "savage" - I like the sound of that :D
Wendy - glad you found stuff you liked. "The Great Dime Hoax" was fun but I want to carve a real one now. I have some deer antler, I've been practicing my Dremel skills and buying some tools- I want to try to carve an ivi po'o. You will enjoy ceramic clay (much cheaper than Super Sculpty too), there are lots of people here who can give you advise if you need. I took a beginning ceramics course at the community college and learned lots
Babalu- I'm afraid it's true, TC has corrupted me :lol:

I finally finished this little bone Aku Aku. About 3 inches tall with an antler toggle. I love the finish you can get on bone. (Had a heck of a time getting a decent picture though)

M
mp posted on Wed, Sep 16, 2009 8:19 PM

Mike, More incredible work! There's nothing you cant do.
Sweet bone Moai!Inspiring everyone here one piece at a time.
Cant wait to see whats next.
"MP - YOU rock! Isn't it time for you to post more art?"
Mike this sentence has been Buzzin in my head since you posted it.
Ive been in a little funk lately but Im jump'n out. Look for
some stuff soon. Keep rockin Maddog with your BADASSSELF.

Not sure how I missed this a couple of days ago, great piece. I can't see your cord, self-braided? Looking forward to seeing more bone from your creative hands.

MP, thanks - SHAKE THAT FUNK, the world needs your art!!! :)

Tiki Mango, thank you too. The cord is self braided. I tried a 4 cord braid but couldn't figure it out so I did 3 strands of doubled waxed cord.

On 2009-04-01 19:49, Bowana wrote:
You're a bad man!
You're a VERY bad man!
:)

For April Fools, I did a micro bone carving hoax and fooled some of the kind TC folks. I felt bad and thought the only way I could redeem myself was to do a REAL micro bone carving. Let me say that I have the utmost respect for the carvers, that's an artform that will take me a long time to acquire a basic competence :)

I stole this idea from Buzzy and tried to make a carved hat cord slider. I got a piece if deer antler (because it was round and solid) and tried to carve an ivi po'o.

3/4 inch tall and 1/2 inch in diameter. It didn't turn out so great but I'll keep trying - I think I'm better off sticking with larger projects for now. I didn't really care for the antler as much as bone, it seems more fibrous and doesn't polish up as well. It has an interesting color but I prefer the ivory look of bone.

turned out fine enough,i say!
Mike-explorer and conquerer of the vast unknown....

that paperclay club is pretty awesome...

but....

lose the facial hair
if you're gonna sport moko....

poseur!
:lol:

Kinny, the moko was temporary but the facial hair is permanent - it helps cover my ugly face :D

I finished my Aloha Jhoe's mug, I went with monochrome like the menu illustration.

Unfortunately, it will never see the light of the Swap - I broke three of the little "petals" off the top. :( There was also some glaze crawling, probably from my repair attempts.

I broke it after it was bisqued and before it was glazed. I tried wet-on-bisque with paperclay but it didn't stick. I tried to repair it with brickset/refractory cement and that didn't work either. I could use some superglue but the broken pieces are not yet glazed. My next plan it to fire the little glazed pieces on stilt points, reglaze the crawled areas, and try superglue. It won't be good enough to swap but may be good enough to keep.

M
mp posted on Sat, Sep 19, 2009 11:05 PM

Good work Mike. It still looks good even with the
problem up top. Masterful work.

Thank you MP

Working on a new "diorama" mug with a small waterfall and pond, still got a long ways to go.

Does anyone recognize it? Probably not, the last time you saw it you were in drunken stupor :lol: I can only hope my amateur work doesn't offend the artisan gods who created the original, the last thing I need is a curse!

P

it's amy's bar.

Perry, it's ironic you would ID that location - I think you and I are the only TC folk in the southwest US that haven't been there! :lol:

I was working on this Rietveld inspired mug at the Lagoon Chop last week, complete with garnished re-usable straw. Seems sometimes it's harder to take a decent picture of your work than it was to make it!

Oooohhhh, nice woodgrain effect on that mug. I really like your Moai bone carving, too. Makes me want to break out my lapidary tools. If it wasn't for the unfortunate bone burning incident of '76! I was boiling a piece of bone to clean it and forgot it was on the stove . . . for an hour or so . . .
UGH. Try getting THAT smell out of your house! :( Scarred for life!
You're breaking out with all kinds of good stuff Mike!

Try getting THAT smell out of your house!

that's exactly HOW i would describe hoe Mike smells! :lol:
i thought it was the water at the Chop lagoon,but.....

DI-O-RAMA!
Enchanted Tiki Hut meets Amy's Bar!

eggs-sell-ent...

That Rietveld turned out pretty cool..
better picture pleez!
:)

oops! double-clicked..
sorry!
Carry on!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2009-09-26 10:12 ]

P

i've been there, mike. it's quite impressive.

On 2009-09-26 06:53, MadDogMike wrote:
I was working on this Rietveld inspired mug

Just so you don't have to give credit where credit isn't due:

From page 186 of the Book of Tiki by Sven A. Kirsten (Taschen 2003)

Everything you are and ever will be as a tiki artist is due to all the hard work of BigBro. You should go back and change your original post so that it says your work, like Rietveld's, has always been inspired the tiki photo work of BigBro.

Nice one! Looks familar to me. However,I think I put the long faced guy on the left. Don't forget the table and chairs!

Buzzy Out!

Kiki - Thank you. My wife won't even let me carve bone in the house with a Dremel because of the stench, I can't imagine burning it on the stove!!!!

Kenny, so impressed that you replied twice? Thank you, Thank you :lol:

Perry - "I've been there, Mike. it's quite impressive"
So I am the only one who hasn't been there! And she's only 90 miles away!

Buzzy - Tiki-Kate was telling me about that. Now I feel better that Rietveld ripped off the design that I ripped off from him. Thank you BigBro.
"However,I think I put the long faced guy on the left" - Damnit Jim!!! I can't believe I screwed that up! At least you were able to recognize which one was which. If you were a real friend you would go to Amy's and switch them around to save me from being embarrassed!

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.