Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

MadDog Mike's Platterful of Pupule - Pele Fence Hanger

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,035 replies

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Dec 8, 2009 7:57 AM

Nice Mike!

Wheres the "like" button Its all been stated already. Fantastic ideas and execution. Plus you learned how to fix your kiln. I love some good problem solving.

..a platter full of pupu cuz them ceramics is the shit! Nice work on this thread... too bad about your problems, I've ruined, lost, and had stolen work and I know it stinks! Hope your kiln stays fixed.

Peace
S
T

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Dec 8, 2009 5:23 PM

that's another fun one mike. your sense of whimsy is always a welcome part of your art. next, figure out a way to encapsulate bubbles in the clear resin. :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you all :)

I am a functional art kinda guy and I was intrigued by the “functionality” of the Pupu Platter so I thought I would see if I could make a ceramic one with an integrated ceramic hibachi. It turned out to be a Mad Tiki Laboratory experiment on many different levels, some of which were successes, some weren’t.

1 – Hand formed plate – FAILURE. I tried to slump form a plate over a dollar store plastic plate. It turned out with an uneven thickness and a wobbly edge. The optimal way to make this platter would be on a potter’s wheel but I don’t have good access to one. May have to make a plaster slump form instead of a plastic plate

2 – Marquesan Imagery – FAILURE. I don’t know, looks more MesoAmerican to me

3 – Surface decoration – Success. I tried what may be a new technique I’m calling “Dremel Sgraffito” :) Sgraffito is usually done by painting a contrasting colored slip over greenware then scratching the design into the wet clay. Instead, I fired it first then used a Dremel to etch the design

4 – Integrated Hibachi - Success. Holds a can of Sterno, the platter doesn't get too hot. I used a stainless steel shower strainer for the grill, when I do another Pupu Platter, I would like to try lost foam casting for a custom brass grill or a steel one cut with a CNC Plasma Cutter.

Overall, a good learning experience for me, got some more Pupu ideas planned

B

MAD skills! I really like your idea and LOVE the built-in burner. Could also be a Tahitian Smores Platter! As usual, looking forward to more of your crafty goodness!

Cool!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 11, 2009 2:12 PM

You are one crazy puppy!

Oh! Gourmet Tahitian 'Smores with dark chocolate, homemade pinapple marshmellows & coconut wafers :)

On 2009-12-11 14:35, MadDogMike wrote:
Oh! Gourmet Tahitian 'Smores with dark chocolate, homemade pinapple marshmellows & coconut wafers :)

Now we're gonna expect that at the next chop!

On 2009-12-11 07:35, MadDogMike wrote:
1 – Hand formed plate – FAILURE. I tried to slump form a plate over a dollar store plastic plate. It turned out with an uneven thickness and a wobbly edge. The optimal way to make this platter would be on a potter’s wheel but I don’t have good access to one. May have to make a plaster slump form instead of a plastic plate

Could you use the plastic plate to make a form in Sculpty and cast the plate in that?

4 – Integrated Hibachi - Success. Holds a can of Sterno, the platter doesn't get too hot. I used a stainless steel shower strainer for the grill, when I do another Pupu Platter, I would like to try lost foam casting for a custom brass grill or a steel one cut with a CNC Plasma Cutter.

How about casting a grill in ceramic? Then you could continue the pattern of the plate onto the glaze of the grill.

B

On 2009-12-11 14:35, MadDogMike wrote:

Envision Homer Simpson drooling and making that gurgling noise! LOL

On 2009-12-11 16:30, 4WDtiki wrote:
Now we're gonna expect that at the next chop!

OK Bill, you're on.

On 2009-12-11 17:17, freddiefreelance wrote:
How about casting a grill in ceramic? Then you could continue the pattern of the plate onto the glaze of the grill.

Freddie you may be right. It would be a lot easier for me to form a ceramic grill than to try to cast a brass one. There's a good chance that the rapid heating or cooling of the ceramic grill would cause it to break but it cost me almost nothing to give it a try.

I took care of the finishing touch for my Volcano mug; I wanted to add some plexiglass smoke. It is attached to 2 acrylic rods for straws that you can see coming out of the top of the smoke.

B

On 2009-12-13 18:52, MadDogMike wrote:
I took care of the finishing touch for my Volcano mug; I wanted to add some plexiglass smoke. It is attached to 2 acrylic rods for straws that you can see coming out of the top of the smoke.

That is hilarious! I love it! Do you chortle over your own work? I know I do! I also enjoy doing things like this:

and this:

and this:

or even this:

On 2009-12-14 15:16, beadtiki wrote:
Do you chortle over your own work?

CHORTLE! I love that word! Yes, my main goal in art is mostly just to amuse myself. I can see that is one of your goals too BeadTiki :)

On 2009-12-11 18:22, MadDogMike wrote:

On 2009-12-11 17:17, freddiefreelance wrote:

Freddie you may be right. It would be a lot easier for me to form a ceramic grill than to try to cast a brass one. There's a good chance that the rapid heating or cooling of the ceramic grill would cause it to break but it cost me almost nothing to give it a try.

Sterno is supposed to burn around 140 Degrees, so it shouldn't break a ceramic grill if you kiln it at a high cone.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2009-12-15 10:56 ]

Great idea with the black smoke Mike!
The pupu platter turned out cool too!

L

Love your creativity Mike. Looking forward to what you do next!

Renaissance man. :)

Jason, Liz, Mr Triple-P thank you. Freddie, that 140 degree temp is how warm Sterno is supposed to keep the food, not the temp of the flame which is closer to 1500 degress is some places (hot enough to make metal glow red) I'm still going to try the ceramic grill and see if it works.

Vanatu Jungle Fowl Plate - OK, it's really not tiki - it's just a rooster for my daughter's kitchen. But I wanted to try out my plaster plate slump form and a surface decorating technique called "shellac resist". The plate is formed in white clay, coated in natural red slip clay and allowed to dry. The design is painted on in clear shellac and the shellac allowed to dry. Then the red slip is washed off with a sponge except the clay protected by the shellac. The shellac burns off in the kiln.

The finished design is raised a little and it's smooth in contrast to the rough exposed grog in the white clay.

Next up I promise to make some real Tiki Pupu Platters with my plate mold :D

P

you trying to out do me on the number of steps involved? :P

nice cock! i see the plates are getting really nice.

Ahhhhh - how cute - Poppi!

Perry - BEHAVE! :lol:
BeadTiki, that's what she calls me - Poppi :blush:

First of all, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU!!!

I made a new plate- it's more Tiki: "Mt Hibachi & the Pupu Lagoon"

Sterno flame in the middle for heating your pupus or for Tropical S'mores

G
GROG posted on Thu, Dec 24, 2009 12:16 PM

Good job InsanePuppy Dude. Looks like you're having fun.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Dec 24, 2009 12:17 PM

P.S. Thanks for the Christmas card.

Yeah, Mike, thanks for the x-mas card. Now I have to scrape out my underwear.

Great card LunaticPoochGuy!

Happy New Year!

Hibachi island?
Is that even a place?
:lol:
Very clever concept,mike!

and your Christmas card gives me the creeps!
:)

Grog, Robb, Jason & LLT - thank you gentlemen. I took an yummy chocolate flavored Ex-Lax Inspiration Tablet and I got more Pupu Platters where that came from! :lol:

Now I'm gonna spring an UN-TIKI on you! In fact, it's almost Caribbean :gasp!: the very antithesis of Tiki. A friend of mine bought a new house on "Cancun" street and wants to fix up the back yard, I thought it only logical to go with a Mayan theme.

This 8x12 inch "jade" jaguar mask will be part of a stone and tile BBQ enclosure.

Also planned; an Olmec head, a pyramid waterfall, and Mayan glyph cobblestones

Thanks for indulging me :)

EDIT - I didn't want to bump my own non-tiki thread :D but I replaced the 16 little tiles on the sides of the jaguar with 4 big tiles. I had originally planned the small tiles because I thought the big tiles would be too hard. Turns out that a wet diamond blade is a tile eating fool :lol:

![](http://www.mgilbert.net/tiki lab banner.gif)
Clay, the original and most divine art media - Genesis 2:7

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-01-13 20:23 ]

That is really cool Mike!

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2010-01-08 11:19 ]

B

THAT'S NOT TIKI!!
..still pretty cool though! :)

Bowie

B

That is absolutely gorgeous Mike. I don't care what culture it comes from, I think it's beautiful and if I had a built-in BBQ I would definately want your tiles on it!

M
mp posted on Mon, Jan 11, 2010 12:59 AM

Beautiful work Mike. Reminds me of my honeymoon in Tulum. I love the hotel rooms
that are mostly tile. Sweet job.

Jason, B'wana, Regan & MP - thanks for the love. I made a change to the tiles around the jade jaguar and posted a new pic if you want to go back a page. I expect it will be several months before my friend builds the BBQ enclosure for me to tile, but I will post pictures when that happens.

Don't the Japanese use little cups without handles for tea? This really isn't for a Zombie Tea Ceremony, it's a rough sculpt for "The Pupu Platter that Zombie Village Should Have Made But Didn't" :lol: More about that soon.

I like the change in tiles - the others sort of drew your eye away looking for a pattern :) Zombie tea cups (or shot glasses?) - yes!

Thank you Beads. At about 4 ounces, they would make perfect SHOT glasses - one drink and I would be shot for the night :lol:

This will be "The Pupu Platter That Zombie Village Should Have Made But Never Did". I will try to paint the Red-Skirted Dancer onto the plate.

I'm gonna see if I can't run this Sterno Pupu Platter concept into the ground. Seems to me, the "real artists" (you know who you are) are able to do different variations on a theme and improve on that theme a little every time. I've got several of these platters planned out, we'll see if I can execute them.

WOW! That is cool!

Hi Mike,
Looking good.....

Mike I went back in time and saw your updated
jade jaguar tile. It looks even better! Great job!

On 2010-01-17 13:53, MadDogMike wrote:
Thank you Beads. At about 4 ounces, they would make perfect SHOT glasses - one drink and I would be shot for the night :lol:

This will be "The Pupu Platter That Zombie Village Should Have Made But Never Did". I will try to paint the Red-Skirted Dancer onto the plate.

I'm gonna see if I can't run this Sterno Pupu Platter concept into the ground. Seems to me, the "real artists" (you know who you are) are able to do different variations on a theme and improve on that theme a little every time. I've got several of these platters planned out, we'll see if I can execute them.

I'll drink to that! I like it - a LOT. I would love, cherish and use your hibachi to death! You can never make enough so keep blowing us away.

that jaguar is too cool,Mike!
This "tea set" is gonna be the creepiest!
almost as creepy as your Christmas card! :lol:

I always say the same thing after looking at your updates:

"Wow Mike, I can't believe how unique, creative, and unlike anything I've ever seen you, or anyone, do before it is - yet it it has the look of someone who has developed and been doing that style for years!"

I keep saying the same thing, but it really is the best compliment I feel I could ever give another artist, and best of all it is true!!!

The Jaguar shocked me yet again - SHAZAM!

Wow, I'm looking forward to it being glazed. Wonderul Mike, Wendy

So much love on TC Thank you all so very much!

"The Pupu Platter that Zombie Village Should Have Made but Didn't". Stealing from classic imagery, the Menu Inspired Art Swap continues to inspire. The Zombie head can hold a dipping sauce or a Sterno can for at-the-table roasting.

Unfortunately, the platter cracked in the kiln and I'm not sure why :( That's OK, I'll try again :)

Now I'm cryin'!

M
mp posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 11:44 PM

Holy cow !!! Unbelievable.....so beautiful mike. Put this plate into production
right away. Mad skillzzzz.

Now that's way cool MDM! really came together nicely.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3035 replies