Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

MadDog Mike's Platterful of Pupule - Pele Fence Hanger

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,035 replies

BT, MP, & ATP (what is this - alphabet soup?), Thank you very much :) I am in the process of making a new Zombie Village Pupu Platter, I think I will try to include more of the menu scene this time like the fire, hut, men, palm trees.

Here is my next experiment with Pupu Platters - the Tiki Torch Pupu Platter

The torch holds a can of Sterno, Freddiefreelance suggested I might try a ceramic "grill" so I did. We'll see if it takes the heat :)

Also working on a couple of PNG cassowary bone daggers. I had originally planned to carve them out of real bone but couldn't find suitable bone so I'm making them from clay.

Hopefully, this guy will look less like Mr Bean once he gets a flat black glaze, white cowrie eyes, and some jute hair :lol: The other dagger will get a netted and beaded bag over the knobby end.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 10:53 AM

You are cranking out some nice platters of pupu
there MDM! Hey, for the zombie village redo I think
it would be cool if you made the platter part a darker
color too instead of on white. A night time setting
like the menu. Make the colors pop more.

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2010-02-03 11:23 ]

GROG, here is the thread you were thinking of :lol:

Jason, I had considered that but am having some logistical problems with it. Glaze doesn't work like paint: you can't layer it very well and you have to be careful about putting glazes side by side or they run together. I have been trying out some underglazes which are better about not running. I also have to pick projects that will stretch my artistic ability but not break it :)

B

Late to the party as usual! I LOVE that new pupu platter! Neat idea. And those bone knives are pretty cool too - I like the Mr. Bean head! With those eyes and the shape of his head he reminds me more of Mr. Magoo! Excellent, as usual!

Mike, the Tiki Torch Pupu Platter is super!

Hope it takes the heat! Yummy! :wink:

Thank you BeadTiki & BlackSandz - I need to light a fire under that torch and see what happens :lol:

Next up- Papua New Guinea Cassowary Bone Daggers (made of clay)

Maddog Mike's Tiki Laboratory
Clay, the original and most divine art media - Genesis 2:7

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-02-07 13:21 ]

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 9:06 AM

Evil genius.

B

I like your bone...KNIVES! LOL I'm a baaaaaaaaad girl! I was wondering how to display those - would you hang them or do they lay out on a shelf readily available for handling? Are they very heavy? So many questions, so little time!

Thanks TikiDave & Beadie. I'll hang them, they are hollow so they don't weigh much. I don't have a scale at home but they weigh less than a little 8 ounce half-can of soda.

you are unstoppable Mike!
i challenge you to a DUEL!
:)

I accept! Cassowary daggers at 10 paces :lol:

Duel at the next CHOP!

prepare to be paperclay cutted....to death!
:)

T

Cool Zombie Village and tiki torch platters!

Have you fired up the tiki torch yet?

There is just SO MUCH to learn about clay. Why can't I just suddenly acquire Babalu's years of knowledge and experience? I've been doing this for almost 2 years now, I thought I would be a master by now! :lol: :lol: :lol: (just kidding of course)

Well, here's my Zombie Village Pupu Platter II (the first one cracked in the kiln). On the first one, I had used an underglaze pencil for the girl. It turned out OK but the lines were a little coarse, I wanted them finer. This time I burnished the plate when it was almost dry to make it smoother so the lines could be finer. Unfortunately, the plate was too smooth - it had no "tooth" and the underplaze pencil just barely made a mark on it! I ended up using watered down underglaze and a small brush to paint the scene. It turned out looking old and faded - I had considered using a clear crackle glaze to complete the vintage look but then it wouldn't be food-safe.

very authentic looking!
Mike-you are the Ambassador of Clay Experimentation!

Terrific MadDog, great idea. It looks like an old vintage platter. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-02-15 19:18 ]

B

On 2010-02-14 12:16, danlovestikis wrote:
Terrific MadDog, great idea. It looks like an old vintage platter. Wendy

As opposed to a NEW vintage platter? LOL I'm just KIDDING Wendy! It's like the LIVE GIRLS signs at XXX joints. You know - as opposed to DEAD girls? Sheesh!

Mike - You're the best!

Nice!

Great job MDM! Nice to finally see some boobers on your thread! :D

Kinny, Wendy, Beady, Zero-y - THANK YOU :)

Eric, I did try lighting a fire in my tiki torch platter - it immediately started making popping and cracking noises that scared me so I chickened out and doused the flame. I think an alcohol flame heats too quickly for ceramic :lol:

Yep, Jason - you inspired me to make the mamms. But it doesn't go with my Late Century Evangelical Prude decor so I found a sucker to give it to. My wife wouldn't let me hang it on the wall next to her Thomas Kincaid Scripture Plate collection :D Imagine that!

I was deeply honored to be included in the Squid Fresh Pork Virtual Luau Pig Show. I must admit I was a little nervous when I saw the lineup of esteemed artists but I had a great time with it. I even tried my hand at creative writing - no cheating; you have to read the story before viewing the pig

It was dark and troubled times on the MadDog Mike farm. A dry Spring had blazed through to a hot and parched Summer. The corn and hay had wilted in the fields and now animal feed was scarce. Farmer MadDog knew that soon the livestock would have to go, but how to decide which would go first? Not Jack, his early morning crowing alarm clock. Not How Now the brown cow with her milk or Bo Peep with her warm wool. And surely not Mud Pie the pig!

Since there was no harvest, MadDog had plenty of free time on his hands and had taken to reading to while away the long hours. On his last trip to town, he had picked up Frankenstein at the library. Now he read by lamplight to escape his agonizing dilemma.

Suddenly, the burdened farmer sat bolt upright in his chair – he had an idea! He picked up the lantern, grabbed his Winchester and the sharpest knife from the kitchen then slugged down the last of the moonshine to fortify himself for what needed to be done. If only he could combine the attributes of all the animals together, there would only be one mouth to feed! He would create…
FRANKENPIG!!!

L

Love your never ending creativity!

IT S ALIVE!!! ALIVE!!! Hilarious concept, great background story,
and artistic execution MadScientistMike! love the jumper cables
and switch in the back!

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2010-02-17 10:33 ]

Monsantos's got nuthin on yer pig,Mikey!
You are official Master of Genetic manipulation!

B

Robot Chicken's long lost cousin! That's HYSTERICAL!

P

On 2010-02-17 10:30, little lost tiki wrote:
Monsantos's got nuthin on yer pig,Mikey!
You are official Master of Genetic manipulation!

as long as they don't come back and claim they own it and you owe royalties and can never make anything else again.

MDM, Just makes me want to go out get a mob, light some torches and hunt FRANKENPIG!!!

really nice job MDM, I also like your choice of menu art on the Pupu platter, its one of my favorites.

Too cool! Next up stitching a shrunken head for the swap! That thread through the eyeball gives me the creeps. Wendy

Liz, Jason, Kinny, Regan, Perry & ATP - Thank you so much! Wendy, sorry about that eye thing - didn't mean to give you the heebie-jeebies :D

Maori Mug
Babalu gifted me with a blank Papua New Guinea drum to "ruin" however I wanted. I decided not to do a PNG style, the inevitable comparison between his work and mine would be like me stepping into the octogon with Ken Shamrock or Chuck Liddell :lol:
I chose a Maori inspired motif instead with a Kowhaiwhai pattern on top, a Heitiki with a Mere and a double spiral Pitau on the bottom. It will be glazed green to hopefully resemble greenstone.

This slip cast whiteware without grog is fun to carve -like carving chocolate :)

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Mar 2, 2010 6:55 PM

nice one, mike. do you know the meaning of the symbols?

wow thats beautiful

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Mar 3, 2010 8:04 PM

Very nice maddoggie!

M
mp posted on Thu, Mar 4, 2010 12:27 PM

Nice work Mike, continually busting out great art with a feverish pace. I say INSPIRATIONAL!

B

I'm excited to see more work on those. They're VERY cool!

Very Cool, Wendy

Perry, Dawn, Rick, MP, Regan & Wendy - Thank you. Your encouragement always makes me smile and I like to smile :) Perry, I saw that those designs have meanings but I didn't take the time to study them :blush: I sent you a PM with my interpretation but it's not fit for public publication :D

SWINGUZUNGUZU (Swine + Nguzunguzu) - I had a leftover Squid Pig than Dave didn't want back so I amused myself with it. Still needs some refinement.

Don't be afraid, he's holding a bird and not a head, so he comes in peace.

Too funny Mike! What next...a Ned Beatty deliverence tiki
swine! Squeal like a pig boy! Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2010-03-07 11:47 ]

uncomfortable silence....

I haven't had much time for art lately, I've been teaching my 4 month old grandson to read, Handsome AND smart, just like his Poppi!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your a Grandpa! and I thought I was feeling old!

wow
you make grandkids too?
dang...

Yep, I'm old :( But this grandkid thing is fun :)

Here's a picture of Piggie getting ready to celebrate St Paddy's Day. Turns out the pigs are quite the fans of St Patrick's Day - it's the the only Christian holiday that doesn't traditionally involve eating PORK!!! And that's no Blarney :lol:

(Actually, that's clear glaze - he's going back into the oven tonight)

B

Wow! Your grandbaby is SOOOOO CUUUUUUTE! He really looks like he's reading a very intense book there! Is that the intriguing "Are You My Mother?" :) Nice piggy too!

Thank you Regan - fortunately he got his good looks from his mother and his maternal grandmother (my wife :) )

Finished my Swinguzunguzu. Custom blended brown/black underglaze over white clay. The back design is the Solomon Islands frigate bird. I will put some mother of pearl luster on the eyes to add a bit of shell inlay look but it won't photograph so I'll call this the finished photo.

B

Nice job on the swingoogoo, Mike.

I bet Squid had no idea how many variations there were out there for the Luau Pig!

Bowie

Thank you Bowana :)

I've got a new signature line; "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." From Scott Adams, the creator of the Dilbert cartoons - who knew cartoonists were artists too? :D I'm doin' OK with the creativity part, just have to work on my art discernment.

Sabu's picture of this Sperm Whale Tooth necklace at the Bower's Museum inpired me to try an experiment. I tried making some whale teeth out of polymer clay. I'm not excited with the color, should be more burnt umber and less yellow - I may get a chance to try again. The longest "tooth" is about 6 inches, the beads and string was just a temporary set-up for the pic.

PS - How did the museum get theirs to sit up all purty like that?

Swinguzunguzu is a treasure...
I've always loved the original prow
and seeing your translation
is both silly and serious
seriously awesome!
UH-HUH!

Thank you Ken. I wanted to stay very true in design to the originals, even though it was shaped like a silly pig :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3035 replies