Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

MadDog Mike's Platterful of Pupule - Pele Fence Hanger

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,035 replies

Thanks Jason. BeadTiki, which bone mug mug?

I filled up my sketchbook and my new one needed some cover art. So I got out the watercolor pencils & pens and did "Monday Morning in Baining" WATCH OUT KINNY RUZIC!!! :lol:

(EDIT - new pic scanned with better colors)

May is Melanoma Awareness Month Protect yourself from the sun

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-05-08 21:33 ]

Dontcha mean watch out everybody!
Cool watercolor MDM, or should I say
MadMarthaStewartMike! You do it all bruddah!

:)

very impressive young Jedi!
you go boy!

Hey, nice work MDM!

W

Drawings,water colors & ink sharpie thingies.
How long can you go out doing even your own self ??

RH

"Monday Morning" is just more proof that you, Mad Dog, are not ONE artist, but an ARTIST COLONY posing as one guy with an impossible number of skills...

There, I've foiled your plans for tiki world domination!

B

On 2010-05-08 13:31, MadDogMike wrote:

I filled up my sketchbook and my new one needed some cover art. So I got out the watercolor pencils & pens and did "Monday Morning in Baining" WATCH OUT KINNY RUZIC!!! :lol:

Sorry - not a mug the "...little Marquesan Tiki Ivi Po'o..." made from the KFC chicken bone!

Jason, LLT, ZeroStreet & Robb, thank you very much. One of the things I love about TC is the encouragement and support from the artists who will tell you how great you are. Everyone knows they're lying but it feels good antway :lol:

A friend at work wanted a calavera, I had a blank ceramic skull I bought at Dollar Tree for 50 cents after Halloween. So I slapped some glaze on it and fired it.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-05-13 06:24 ]

Although time was short, I made up a quick Marq bowl for MariePalooza but the glaze is pretty much anticlimactic. I did a grey wash under a brown transparent and the grey didn't really show :( I told SoccerTiki to tell people was was a clay pigeon when he auctioned it off :lol:

I haven’t posted anything in a month but I didn’t want you to think I’ve given up on “art”, I’ve just been busy with other projects.

My wife and I took a too short vacation in beautiful Sedona, I tried to look at things the way a painter would; the way the sunlight hits the trees, how the rocks make shadows, that the sky is light blue near the horizon and deeper overhead. Then I sat in the shade of a tree with watercolor pencils & a fine point Sharpie and tried to put my observations into practice

I don’t think it will sell in any Sedona gallery but I had a good time :D This was meant to be a learning experience for me so critiques are welcome.

MP has a Haunted Hotrods & Mystery Machines show coming up and he graciously invited me to participate. We have already established that I can’t paint (above) so I made a ceramic entry. I took a very different approach that the other artists, a more literal interpretation of an automobile “ghost” being a rusted out car – inspired by Arlo Guthrie’s “…and the graveyards of the rusted automobiles”. I guess that’s my prerogative as an artist. I just hope I don’t stink up MP’s show (pun intended :wink: )

A 6 piece “mosaic" (10x16 inches) based on a 1931 Chevy 3 window coupe - this rusted “ghost” is all that remains of a once glorious hotrod. It shows the ravages of time; sagging hinges, missing door handle, dents, corroded drip rail, separating fender, etc. This ghost haunts car shows looking for it’s front half, hoping that part of it still lives on as an award winning hotrod.

My daughter and I are on a mission to process some fresh olives. I made a 2 quart crock to do that in. According to the all-knowing internet, the inscription reads “olives” but it’s all Greek to me.

The white disc with the knob is a weight to keep the olives submerged in the brine. The bottom includes a bit of archeologist humor – never buy an antiquity inscribed “BC” :lol:

And one last project was to turn a church stage into a Sailing Ship set complete with ship’s wheel, cannons, gunwales, an 18 foot mast, and half a dozen carved foam seagulls.

Now I’ve got plans for some more Tiki “art” coming soon :)

OOOOoooo LIKE

On 2010-05-08 13:31, MadDogMike wrote:

Mike, what a crock! harhar!

Seriously, though, let me know how your olives turn out - I understand the process is time-consuming.

When you're done with those seagulls you should prop them around your front yard - I bet the neighbors will appreciate them! winkwink We had a neighbor with an old bathtub sunk in cement with a lighthouse on one end and a ceramic seagull on one edge - I THINK it was supposed to be a pond of some sort but it was mostly full of weeds! Then they cut down a tree in the front yard so that it had a 6 foot stump - then placed a ceramic seagull on that. The fence between our yards was never high enough!

You are a man of many talents. Nice Sedona sketch!

Thank you Dawn, Regan & Jason!

Inspired by the Lamp Craftsmen of TC and armed with little more than a wastebasket, a tuna can, an embroidery hoop, & a bit of tapa print cloth; I decided to try my hand at a ceiling fan lamp :)

Looks a heck of a lot better than the "Opal Schoolhouse" fixture it came with! :lol:

L

Mike your starting to get as creative as Tobunga with so many different crafts!

The light looks great!

Very cool Mike, but I can't see where the tuna can was used?!?

Here's a thought - extend the tapa pattern onto the fan blades. They already look to be the same brown, you'd just need some black and white paint.

Looks very smart,MDM. Nice job!

A

Dude you are awesome! And funny. And awesome. Don't forget to show us what you'll be wearing to Tiki Oasis.

[ Edited by: amybean 2010-06-26 19:20 ]

B

VERY clever. I'm wondering about that tuna can too! Must be for the upper edge that connects to the existing light assembly. I NEVER would have thought to use the embroidery hoop (is it an aluminum hoop that doesn't require a tightening screw?). I'm gonna start calling your MacGuyverTiki!

You guys all bring a smile to my face :D Thank you

BeadTiki, you win the tuna can award. It's just the right size to go into the light fixture in place of the glass ball, it's attached to the top of the basket. The hoop is bamboo with a tightening screw, it's just shoved in there and held with a few small woodscrews.

Liz, that's a very nice compliment. Amy I don't think I'll wear anything wild - I'm actually kinda shy around people I don't know :blush: I bought enough of that tapa print to make a nice scrub top for work and the site with Dawn's design your own fabric has got my brain wheels a'turnin'.

Cool, Love the brick under the axial. I got the feeling of Sedona in you drawing. My sister did olives and pickles and even though she was a potter she never went as far as you. That's a great crock! You have so much talent, thank you for sharing. Wendy

Thank you Wendy :)

First up - a Goobie! Now I know you're asking yourself, "What is a Goobie?"

:down: :down: :down:

:down: :down:

:down:

THIS is a Goobie!

My 8 month old grandson looking very handsome in his first aloha shirt. Isn't he just the goobiest?! :D

Some of you will remember my attempted entry for the Headhunter Swap

My first attempt (right) broke in our Easter 7.2 earthquake and I made the second attempt (left) too thin and top-heavy.

So I'm trying again. This design has a special place in my heart because it was one of the first designs I put in my sketchbook when I started playing with mud and joined TC. I'm hoping I will have enough artistic mojo to pull it off this time. It is scheduled to be donated to an August event not yet officially announced.

He is partially glazed, I'm still deciding on colors and doing glaze tests for the face and the wooden stump. The Auratus tree frog is waiting for neon blue underglaze to come in the mail :D

B

keep after it Maddoggie...hehe, the Goobie looks just like you :)

Mike the contrast is startling. A beautiful boy and a shrunken head on the same thread. I hope you passed on those super artistic genes to your grandson so he may continue this thread when you are too old too. Wendy

So that is what a goobie looks like!
Darn cute little guy!

B

At least YOUR Michelen Tire Baby has hair! LOL My kid was a MTB but bald as a cueball! The little stinker ended up with hair so thick I couldn't drag a comb through it without breaking a tine! Cute little guy Mike - looks super happy too!

Thanks guys, I have to admit the Goobie is damned handsome! He is just one of the many reasons I always have a smile on my face :)

Finished up my "Gimme Head" mug after a couple of failed starts

It will be my contribution to the Tiki-Kate Auction at Oasis 10. I hope it sells for a million bucks! :D

Great job, great name, and for a great cause!
Nice MDM!

I think I'm learning a lot watching you build and glaze your GMH mug! It's perfect in appearance and for helping Kate. You're a wonderful artist and a wonderful guy. Wendy

C

Cool new mug, very creative! and the goobie is so handsome really, congrats! :)

I just noticed the little blue frog! The mug is creepy but cool and, as others have said, for a good cause.

Jason, Wendy, Clarita, Regan - thanks! I hope it sells for a million bucks!!! :D Now I gotta make one for me.

Here is a small (about 5x10 inches) Kraken plate. I made it mostly to try out a technique for odd-shaped plates, worked out OK.

RELEASE THE KRAKEN! to me, LOL

How about KRAKEN open that bottle of rum!? :D

very cool,Mike!

Diggin' the shrunken head!!

cool plate MDM! Quite inventive.

TB

?????????????????????????

On 2010-07-16 22:04, beadtiki wrote:
How about KRAKEN open that bottle of rum!?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got the same idea at the same time! am I in the twilight zone?? :D

I just found your new creation... and I was on the way to post mine... and BAM! :) :) :) we both thought about the Kraken Rum :) Actually I even don't know if it is a good rum or not :wink:

Release the Kraken some more!, wait let me get my Mug!

B

It's ALWAYS the twighlight zone around these parts! Great minds think alike they say!

W

Awesome stuff Mike, mug is wicked!

Chris

A Kraken showed up at my door today!!!
Thanks Mike!!!

B

The way you have that placed makes it look like some big-eyed fuzzy creature (the plant and the jug handles!).

Its a KRAKEN! plant thingie! run away!

B

I was the lucky recepient of the PuPu Platter!

Empty:

Mr. Ku is eager to get started!

In use:

Please ignore the southwest furnishings in the background!

Credit to Dawn a/k/a Sophista-Tiki for the two paintings in the background.

That was quick! :D

RH

I LOVE the Kraken!

Unfettered and outta control creativity continues... Yeah.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3035 replies