Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

MadDog Mike's Platterful of Pupule - Pele Fence Hanger

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,035 replies

It's been a month since I posted anything on this thread and I didn't want you to think I've been slackin' so I'm going to go all Eric October and post several things at once :D

I've been working on stuff for the Birds of the Pacific Art Swap in case you haven't been over there to check it out. There will be some really cool stuff to come out of that Swap - if you're an artist you still have 'til September 20th to get involved!

Bottom row: PNG Ancestor Board inspired Hornbill wallhanging, Hornbill watercolor and ink painting, Papuan Frogmouth Owl candy dish, Hornbill Nest pitcher (which blew up in the kiln :( )
Top row: Solomon Islands Hornbill bowl, polymer clay PNG Hornbill Warrior Back Ornament, Hornbill mug, Hornbill Hatchling mug, Sepik River Fighting Horn (with little Hornbill on top)
Hiding in the bushes: the red I'iwi Hawaiian Honeycreeper and the black Mamo Honeycreeper, both of which started life as 99 cent WalMart dove decoys.

And lastly, my Oasis shirt with custom printed fabric panels from Spoonflower.com (thanks Dawn)

EDIT - In the interest of full disclosure, I did not sew the shirt; I just sewed on the panel appliques :D

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-08-16 21:22 ]

L

Mike love all your bird inspired pieces! Can't wait to meet you at Oasis!!

MDM!!!

That shirt rules!

Mike! DO IT!

....and he sews! Top notch sir!

W

Fantastic works Mike!

[ Edited by: WestADad 2010-08-17 05:31 ]

B

LOVE the shirt! Nice job. Now people will know who you are when you strut around Oasis! Hope you have fun for the short time you're there. The webcast kinda sucks and makes me even more jealous so I'm gonna re-watch Season 3 of Dexter instead! LOL I'll probably make myself a big old rum and something too! At least my version of "Oasis" is cheap! Someone went and spoiled my day even more by telling me that Roger Waters is performing "The Wall" right up the road (about an hour+!) in Tacoma and I can't even go to THAT! SUCKS!

Thank you all :) It was good to see many of you at Oasis. I got a lot of compliments from friends on my shirt and a lot of "Where did he get that shirt?" looks from people I didn't know :lol:

Working on a para-tiki/quasi-tiki ceramic mug project for an international spearfishing tournament trophy.
Hmmm, I wonder what it is?

L

Mike it was AWESOME to meet you in person!

Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

W

Whoa! That's two good looking TC'ers right there!!

Mike is the happiest Tiki Centralist I know! to bad you could not hang out with us
for the parties Mike, maybe next year?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-08-25 22:38 ]

Liz looks all sultry and I look like a 'tard who rode the shortbus to the circus :lol:

I am SO in over my head :lol: Now to peel off some plasticine, saw off some of the plastic armature and try again.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-08-26 09:25 ]

Man Mike!
this one's givin you some trouble?
I think i know who to ask
to make me some Christmas Elf Boots this year!
:lol:

too much fun harassing you at Oasis,old pal!

Kinny, I saw your studio closet and you already have enough elf boots :D

Gettin' a little better

A

I have to admit, MDM, I did not see that tail coming. So far so good!

Yeah, I thought it was gonna be a bong.

I'm trying to resurrect an old 1800s design. Because of the air pocket in the tail, this "glug mug" gurgles when you drink from it.

I don't want to replicate this one, I want to make a new design but I'm having problems with it, not sure I have the artistic mojo to pull it off :D

B

Don't sell yourself short Mike. Like Adam Sandler's buddies always say - YOU CAN DO IT!

On 2010-08-26 18:49, beadtiki wrote:
Don't sell yourself short Mike. Like Adam Sandler's buddies always say - YOU CAN DO IT!

HAH! ...classic!!

B

You are the mojo mad doggie....perhaps make the whole tail area a separate chamber closed off from the inside of the mug? Work it til ya get it boss...

Keep bringing it MD!

Z

As you gan see Mad Dog, we all have faith in yer amazin' sculpty chops...
~Z

Thanks for the faith and encouragement folks. I have temporarily scapped the mermaid project. It was to be a mug for a small event but they moved the event forward and I didn't have time to finish :( Just as well, I wasn't satisfied with the way it was going so I will start over one of these days :D

Mike, What happened to using styrofoam that shrinks when you bake the clay? This is a fun project you should still go for it. Wendy

Wendy, I ended up using that polymer clay technique on my hornbill skull. I can't say the skull is a master piece but the technique worked well :D

Foam form before wrapping with rolled polymer clay

Foam after baking the clay

Finished project

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 24, 2010 9:46 AM

Das a neat trick.

I have made some kiln plugs for various TC kiln owners and just made one for Wendy (danlovestikis). The last few I have made, I tried to make them somehow representative to the recipient. So this plug is based on a painting Wendy did for the Birds of the Pacific Swap.

I made a mug of a werewolf hand holding a severed vampire head for GROG's Halloween Show but I wasn't happy with the way it turned out so I put it on e-Bay. There's a link in Marketplace to the e-Bay listing.

And I started work on a Samoan Flying Fox (fruit bat) goblet. I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing with it, thinking about sgraffito with Samoan tattoo designs. The base is from a dollar store wine glass (stole that idea from Gogo :D ). We'll see what happens.

Mike you are so creative and wow you can produce so much wonderful artwork. I love the plug. Wendy

Mike! looking Good!

Thank you Wendy and Lance.

I finished my Samoan Flying Fox goblet but I jacked it up! I put gloss glaze on the inside and satin glaze on the inside - but I put the satin glaze on too thick and it came out milky :( The concept was good, but the execution didn't turn out too well - maybe I'll try again when I run out of other ideas :D

I used underglaze while the clay was still wet and incised the designs into the clay (sgrafitto), the designs came from Samoan War clubs

I just don't see you running out of ideas, hugs, Wendy

well the pics are looking great Mike! nice job!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-04 15:50 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Oct 4, 2010 3:12 PM

Mike, you are doing some of the most creative stuff in the viod that has been in the past while

Z

Love It!!

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Oct 5, 2010 9:14 PM

Really nice design, Mike!
Glazing sometimes drives me batty too.
(Yeah, I know......groaaannnnnn.....)
:)

Bowie

Z

Mike, you are freakishly awesome in your talents. and there are so many of them!

A reminder to those who have forgotten... an early MDM on this thread, you know you haven't looked at all the pages, y'all... you really should, and here's proof:

I love this piece. honestly, I love like 85% of your stuff
:D
I kid.
~Zero

Been too long since checking in Mike. Nice job on the kiln plug
for Wendy! Also dig your plethora of birdy swaps! Go MDM!

L

Mike I always enjoy seeing your new work..love the bat!

Mike the Vampire is here. Sweet! You are so talented. I'll post photos soon, right now we are prepping for the crawl which starts tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

B

Oh, Mike, I LOVE the bat! He's SOOOO stinkin' cute! He looks like he can hold a pretty good-sized drinky-poo too! Nice, Nice, NICE!

Yeah that bat is a great idea! Nice work!

Goodness!!! It's an Aloha Shower! Thank you all for your very kind comments :) The glaze ended up flaking off of my flying fox in a couple of places, but I am getting ready to build another. A new phlying phox will arise from the ashes! (Oh wait, that's the Phoenix :D )

It's time for out with the old and in with the new;

Old sign (the flash makes the colors look much more vivid than they really are)

New sign made of a WalMart bamboo silverware caddy, a dashboard hula girl, and some ceramic letters. It's much more dimensional and she dances in the wind.

The cat's dish resides on the Lanai and it's not tiki at all!

The new dish is at least quasi-tiki

Nicceeee!

My post disappeared so here we go again. Mike I gave Dan the wonderful Vampire head held by a werewolf and he loved it. It's now in his jungle room just behind the chair he sits in while listening to music. Thank you for making wonderful art. Wendy

Mike - the Wife and I were just now looking at your recent work and she said, "The s--t he does is AMAZING"!!

Mike, I seriously wish I had your feverish fury of creative energy. I'd be able to finally get some of the stockpiled images out of my head. Thanks for being TCs' resident mad scientist.

C

On 2010-10-04 09:00, MadDogMike wrote:

Great design! me like

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3035 replies