Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Les Baxter & A Sweet Roll?

Pages: 1 11 replies

Picked up a Les Baxter Lp I had not seen before titled Van de Kamp's presents Les Baxter his orchestra and chorus Music of The 60's. ...anyone seen this one before?

TM

No, but even if the music is not too good, that find was worth it for the excellent album cover! Great graphics!

On 2008-10-02 11:26, lucas vigor wrote:
No, but even if the music is not too good, that find was worth it for the excellent album cover! Great graphics!

Look's like the tracks were lifted from earlier recordings: La Vie En Rose, I Concentrate On You, Poor People Of Paris, Autumn Leaves, April In Portugal, Quiet Village, It's A Big Wonderful World, Calcutta, Ruby, Havah Nagilah..

This was a promotional album released by VanDekamp in the late 60's. I believe it was pressed by Capitol Custom.

The album is a compilation of Les' more commercially available material.

It is neat to have though since it was pressed as a Limited Edition.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

O

I think this was the stuff from that TV special that Les did. Dionysus released on CD (and 10" LP) in the 1990s. There are a couple of videos on the youtubes.

On 2008-10-02 14:55, OnyaBirri wrote:
I think this was the stuff from that TV special that Les did. Dionysus released on CD (and 10" LP) in the 1990s. There are a couple of videos on the youtubes.

Nope! Totally different recordings. The TV Special was recorded "live". This album is a compilation of studio tracks.

The release on Dionysus was actually taken off the video tape and includes Les' narration.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

K

Thanks for the info and input :)

O

It must have been released in conjunction with the TV special though. Same set list, same title.

last nite, watched the 1962 nuclear war movie "Panic In The Year Zero" (recommended!), and noted afterwards that the music was by good ol' Les Baxter.

it was mostly cool jazz and "something dramatic is happening" music a'la Kirk fighting the Gorn, but still, notable.

52408963210_85ccd20c0f_o

T

Les scored quite a few movies, ...lots of trashy ones where the score is by far the best part about the move. See the list here. Lots of Horror, or beach babe things!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_scored_by_Les_Baxter

Recently watched this Egyptoid nonsense (NOT recommended) but the score is good, ....because...."Les"!

Pharaoh's_Curse_poster

[ Edited by TIKIGIKI on 2022-10-07 17:40:54 ]

awesome! 8)

Les Baxter's output is simply ASTOUNDING!!! The man was a TITAN!!!

Panic In the Year Zero is nice Johnny$$. Good jazzy end of the world soundtrack!! Ray Milland was a frequent visitor at the Kahiki too!! :)

Pages: 1 11 replies