Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

PuNk RoCk Vinyl and Memorabilia Pix -also add your Tops list starting page 4

Pages: 1 2 3 124 replies

Just gotta say scanning through this thread gets me all worked up ! lol
I see the word "punk" and then people post shots of Black flag and dead kennedys junk?!
When the hell were these "hardcore" record nerds ever punks? jello barfia and miss rollins are the biggest blowhards around,getting kids that dont wanna go home at 9 o clock to spend their parents money on their vinyl diarea.
with the exception of the incomprable and only band that seems to be getting better ( so far ) Social Distortion the rest of the junk on this thread is 7-11 skateboard angst ! lol
Well FEAR,X and the GERMS are ok but all that american hardcore crap belongs in a porta potty on the way to a landfill !
But dont get all blocked up,I have this discussion with alot of people, and I think that unlike TIKI it is not open to interpretation ,PuNk is one thing and one thing only ...either it is or it isn't and most aren't qualified to catagorize.
Some dude in a crew cut and hawaiian shirt with manicured fingers and a 15 dollar coctail is not an old puNk!
" a used to be never was "

On 2010-12-14 09:37, Tonga Tom wrote:

Tom, did you design those covers? I've seen the Bombs many many times. One of my friends was their drummer during the Garabaldi Guard era.

Also, anyone into old sounding newish punk rock should check out the "SURF and Destroy" podcast on itunes. The guys from Hostage Records are doing it and it features mostly OC local bands like Crowd, Bonecrusher, Pegs, Junk, Broken Bottles, Drips, Adolescents, TSOL, etc... Wish I could figure out how to get it on my Zune.

Yes Tiki Kaimuki, I designed all those covers. I've done the majority of their covers and packaging since 'The World' LP. I've also done other stuff for Duane Peters over the years.

Are you speaking of Alex Gomez perhaps? If so, I've got a funny/embarrassing story about him.

Thanks for the reminder about the "SURF and Destroy" podcast. Rick Bain sent me the Facebook info a little while ago, but I forgot about it. I'll definitely check it out now.

Wow, seems like we know some of the same folks. Al and I went to high school together. He's a good guy and a really talented punk rock drummer. I've been a big fan of Hostage records for a while and Rick has always hooked me up with my fix.

On 2010-12-14 10:48, TIKIVILLE wrote:
Just gotta say scanning through this thread gets me all worked up ! lol
I see the word "punk" and then people post shots of Black flag and dead kennedys junk?!
When the hell were these "hardcore" record nerds ever punks? jello barfia and miss rollins are the biggest blowhards around,getting kids that dont wanna go home at 9 o clock to spend their parents money on their vinyl diarea.
with the exception of the incomprable and only band that seems to be getting better ( so far ) Social Distortion the rest of the junk on this thread is 7-11 skateboard angst ! lol
Well FEAR,X and the GERMS are ok but all that american hardcore crap belongs in a porta potty on the way to a landfill !
But dont get all blocked up,I have this discussion with alot of people, and I think that unlike TIKI it is not open to interpretation ,PuNk is one thing and one thing only ...either it is or it isn't and most aren't qualified to catagorize.
Some dude in a crew cut and hawaiian shirt with manicured fingers and a 15 dollar coctail is not an old puNk!
" a used to be never was "

Well, aren't you all fired up? Any interpretation is always open to other interpretation. Of course, there are many different factions of punk, but to say that Black Flag and the Dead Kennedys are not punk is extreme at best. I don't know if you're just trolling or what, cuz you're not really defining what you think is punk and what bands fall into your definition. Anyway, this is just a circular argument that will probably only end up with crappy things being said.
It's really like trying to argue about what "jazz" is.

And as much as I dig SD, going to see them next month, there are a lot of folks that would argue with you about them being punk.

So, why don't you post up some of your stuff or something? ADD to the conversation rather than just put other people's shit down or buy me a damn manicure and one of them $15 cocktails fer christsakes!

...ALLrIghT!

and here's a classic shot of me and a pal of mine in 1984

I was sorta trolling ,cuz gettin people all worked up is PunK RocK!
...it aint about rocking chairs and reminicing! lol
It's PuLl iT ouTtA yOur PantS anD MakE it Count MusIC ...remember?!
now about that 15 dollar coctail , who's buying?
Mahalo!

OH...
hahahha
I still play in a punk rock band ( sorta lol)
We are the PREYING SAINTS! look us up on youtube and excuse the lyrical misteaks, I was too busy carving tikis to learn the words properly lol
( also Canadian beer )
:wink:

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2010-12-14 20:10 ]

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.....This is fuN !

...been a packrat for a long time !
Mahalo!

top 15 PunK RecOrdS!

The First TRUE PunK RecOrd bY DefInaTIoN

PuNk had many smaller bands these compilations featured some of the best!

puNks Fron Vancouver B.C ...find it ....it's unbelievable!

100 punks ruLE!

Another CaNADIAN act that has to be heard!

.............your're right there is SO many more!

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2010-12-14 21:48 ]

[ Edited by: tikiville 2010-12-15 13:51 ]

Alright Mr. "Eurocentric" Tikiville! Yeah, I really dig most of those bands('cept Exploited, but that's already been documented). The Forgotten Rebels are a great band and very underappreciated in my opinion. As far as bands from Europe that REALLY were anti-trend and anti-establishment, ya gotta go with CRASS. No one gave the middle finger to mindless posturing, fake anarchy, and fashion punks than Crass. And by the way, Steve Ignorant is doing a one time tour and playing Crass songs. Got my tix for the SF show.

PuNk is a big part of my life and I get all outta my head about it lol ego be damned lol
I'll post some more cool pictures of old punk stuff soon ....

Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nwGndfR4l4

:lol:

Buzzy Out!

lol ...that actor and that movie sucks as bad as his mall boy hair ! lol
The stance I take on it all is fairly liberating , and usually makes for very intresting arguments lol
For some reason some folks have to segregate music into catagories to make them feel like they are part of something more than the enjoyment of music and the simple act of rebellion.

On 2010-12-15 11:08, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nwGndfR4l4

:lol:

Buzzy Out!

That was pretty frickin' funny. I didn't know the movie was a comedy. I heard of it, but thought it was a documentary or something.

G

This is a pretty cool thread - a lot of really cool stuff.

I looked like a hippie in a Ramones ringer during my punk days. My wife was much cooler. Here is her jacket from high school.

gabbahey

I fully endorse the return of this thread!

On 2009-06-29 19:44, Matt Reese wrote:
I am LOVING this thread! Amazing collections. The second I saw The Nip Drivers Kill Whitey I became truly hooked.
The number of punks that are on TC is great. I feel good knowing so many of us lived long enough to end up here sucking up the Tiki lifestyle.

This!

T

Shocking Punk Rocker Turned Into Stunner | Snog Marry Avoid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIVpFgog6FM

Excited this thread got bumped. I got some stuffs. Especially for anyone who cares about old Texas punk rock.

Will dig through the archives when time allows. Or if interest prevails.

Love this thread. Here's a couple shots of the ol' leather. Couldn't fit into it now if I tried.

Used to say Lords of Crud (it was a drinking club) look close at the sticker above the word "of" and you can earn punk points for identifying it.
Great thread.

Can't really make it out, Matt....hard to see
Circle Jerks, Group Sex cover?

MR

It is a famous face. At about 10:00 towards the middle is an eye.

Bumped

Some ancient photos I took at the Whisky during the CBGB's Invasion in 1976: johnny1 blondie6 chris4 debbie12 debbie

[ Edited by MrBaliHai on 2023-02-21 13:21:57 ]

[ Edited by MrBaliHai on 2023-02-21 18:27:58 ]

Had to bump this thread:

My old band from 1982, played the O.C. circuit mostly like the Cuckoo's Nest (Concert Factory) Radio City etc. I will have to dig up some of those old flyers.

Primal Danse EP Cover

T

That cover photo looks like it was taken on the set of "Plan Nine From Outer Space"!

It's from the original "Dracula" - 1931

Was going through some old scans and found this mimeographed flyer for a house party in Whittier. I sang lead (occasionally) for Low Budget, and guitar/bass duties were handled by Torrie and X-8, two of the original founders of Flipside Magazine. Jekyll and Hyde was a glam band in the Alice Cooper vein and we all attended Whittier High, alma mater of Richard Milhous Nixon.

No Guinness or fish and chips were served. We lied.

jh2

[ Edited by MrBaliHai on 2023-03-10 13:03:15 ]

I would have been upset about no Guinness, most Punk events served the cheapest swill so I always appreciated good beer, Oh God, I just remembered all the"Plain Wrap" shit we drank! The Life of a Repo Man was Intense!

I didn't know anything about this and just came across it on Bandcamp, The singer from the old band posted this on his Bandcamp page, It is some old 4 Track recordings of a practice session, pretty bad quality, but the photo is from one of our gigs, that is me with the short spiky hair in the tank top on the left in the cover photo, not the best quality, but I don't have any photos from back then, so a kick in the head for me.

band

[ Edited by Atomic Tiki Punk on 2023-03-10 22:04:23 ]

I would have been upset about no Guinness

If it's any consolation, I think X-8 and Torrie provided some ropey Cockney accents for the assembled crowd. I too was not into the cheap lawnmower beers and held out for the fancy stuff like Lowenbrau and Heineken (F*ck that shit), which I've since discovered are basically the lawnmower beers of Europe.

This is Low Budget playing at the party: low_budget1

Here's a photo of Jekyll and Hyde taken up in the Whittier Hills along Turnbull Canyon Rd: jh3

[ Edited by MrBaliHai on 2023-03-11 08:19:51 ]

I don't have any photos from back then, so a kick in the head for me.

Nice find! There's only one (known) photo of me performing with Low Budget at Kim Fowley's New Wave Night at the Whisky and you'd need a scanning electron microscope to tell it's me. I'm inside the red box. X-8 was just too damn photogenic:

lb1

Pages: 1 2 3 124 replies