Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

the only Las Vegas TIKI BAR ....Frankie’s Tiki Room 24/7 baby!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 430 replies

On 2008-10-28 06:46, RevBambooBen wrote:
D'oh!

Cat is out of the bag!

http://www.vegasinsight.net/?p=418

^^^^But please let me work with no distractions!

I'll be packin nails guns and flame throwers so stay away!!

Ummm...cats been out of the bag for a couple weeks. But we wanted to let you have fun with "the secret".

GO BEN GO!

LT

I saw the mug. It's interesting. 8)

Interesting good, interesting bad, or interesting indifferent?

LT

On 2008-10-28 11:47, Matango Derek wrote:
Interesting good, interesting bad, or interesting indifferent?

The mug includes a wahine with prominent, exaggerated features; it's my understanding that it will be used for a signature drink - "The Bearded Clam".

God bless this place already..... :lol:

T

Hey Buzzy, I didnt hear about you making pendants for the new bar but I do know I was commissioned months ago to make them too . Im posting pics of mine Im shipping up there in a few days. I cant wait to see yours but heres mine .

They are little angry Moai's made from concrete but look like stone , sweet !

On 2008-10-28 17:04, TIKI-RAY wrote:
Hey Buzzy, I didnt hear about you making pendants for the new bar but I do know I was commissioned months ago to make them too . Im posting pics of mine Im shipping up there in a few days. I cant wait to see yours but heres mine .

They kinda look like Sven! :wink:

p.s.

Mr. Crazy Al ????

Where are the teaser pics of THE LOGO TIKI ???

( the C'Al Ku's were at his Bahooka gig)

K

Here's the mug - already on eBay:

Nice mug, but I don't know - there are funny puns and then there's outright crudeness.

Is this place going to be a Tiki Dive Bar, or a Tiki Biker Bar?

On 2008-10-28 21:27, RevBambooBen wrote:
They kinda look like Sven! :wink:

Naaaw, do I look THAT mean? I am not mean, more like troubled:

Troubled by the weight on my shoulders of having to perpetuate the Polynesian tradition of ancestor worship, retelling the tales of the forefathers, reminding the youngens to heed their traditions.

It is this scowl that many old Tikis display, warning the followers to remember the tradition. Well, it is possible that I am turning into a Tiki in the process of being the guardian of the tradition:

..and earlier:

(...and Ben, this is on no way to imply that YOUR work is not a living, breathing, beautiful example of your forefathers' tradition!)

it's 2009.

not 1943.

1943 is pre-Tiki style, I don't care about that. And last time I checked it was 2008. And because we all LOVE the well thought out, inspired architecture and design of today, we congregate here, to UPDATE all the ugliness of the past, right?

Don't try to pigeon-hole me into that backwards corner, Ben, my bottom line is if it is done right and with an understanding of the style, a modern Tiki Bar CAN be great. And from all I can tell so far, this new Vegas place looks like it got it right...probably in part due to your help.

That mug thing is a question of how far everyone's individual definitions of good/bad taste reach. I think it's a funny concept. After me and Otto met Florian Gabriel he was inspired to draw a similarly racy mug design for Otto. The difference is that that one never saw the light of day, some would say that was for the better, some not.

On 2008-10-29 05:21, Koolau wrote:
there are funny puns and then there's outright crudeness.

Anyone can tell you, I'm not one to shy away from racy, and, yet, I still find this mug kinda icky.

It's the difference between Burlesque and strippers. This is a stripper's mug, IMO. And that's cool for some (alot?) of people. It's just not my bag, baby.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-10-29 10:42 ]

You gotta love angry stoned Moai!

On 2008-10-29 15:48, rugbymatt wrote:

You gotta love angry stoned Moai!

I hella love the angry stone Moai!

She sort of reminds me of a girl I dated in Germany back in the 80's.

Looks like she needs a trim
below the equator...
if you get my drift...
:)

L
Liana posted on Wed, Oct 29, 2008 4:04 PM

Well, according to the eBay listing that mug is for the 'bearded clam' drink.. so I get the joke.. I suppose if you don't like the look of the mug the only thing you can do is not order the drink :P

Liana.

Frankie's other designs in alphabetical order...

"Bombora's Blast

"The Green Gasser"

"Kahiki Kai"

"The Lava Letch"

"Maile Kula"

"Thurston Howl"

"The Tiki Bandit"

[ Edited by: makedamug 2008-10-29 16:39 ]

Wow! Numbers 1, 2, 3 and 5 are my faves! That menny goot ones! Very nice and innovative stylization!

Great Job Holden, Frankie...Those all are very nice.. Good reason to take a trip to Vegas now... Bombora's Blast And Kahiki Kai are my favorite two..

[ Edited by: beachbumz 2008-10-29 16:55 ]

TS

2 is ok, but 5,6 and 7 have my votes, as well as the lovely lady with Bob Marley stuck in between her legs....:lol:

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-10-29 16:53 ]

T

Kahiki Kai and Bombora's Balst...awesome.

I'd love to see that Kahiki Kai in the classic peanut mug style light and dark brown finish.

T

Thanks for redirecting me Kenny , I thought that guy on the bottom was Yosemite Sam ..... Say what you will but ALMOST every guy who goes there will want to take one of these home just to say he has one . Its like the loincloth bearing tikis you get in Havaii , take them home , and secretly all the wives have to take a peek underneath. And yes they wonder what the Scottsman wears under his kilt. And yes they wonder about Kenny because he has a 10 inch thumb . Sorry to let the cat out of the bag girls .

My girlfriend loves the Moai's . The top of the head seems very phalic shaped she said . For some reason she doesnt want me to ship them up there too soon . Hmmmm !

Ive already delivered 4 tikis to Vegas and talked again to the owner . He is just a tad eccentric and you better believe that this will not be your ordinary tiki bar . All the usual things with additions to boot . But I guarantee that it will be a feast for the eyes with many conversation starters . Their will be so many talented artists showing their work and given a certain direction but it all ties together . I think it will be like a Gratefull dead concert , before you die you should have gone to at least one show .

For direction to Frankies Tiki Room ...Take the 15 frwy north to Vegas , get off the freeway and turn in the parking lot near the big palmtree.

P

then just walk across the parking lot and check yourself into UMC for alcohol poisoning.

On 2008-10-29 10:41, Haole'akamai wrote:

there are funny puns and then there's outright crudeness.

Anyone can tell you, I'm not one to shy away from racy, and, yet, I still find this mug kinda icky.

It's the difference between Burlesque and strippers. This is a stripper's mug, IMO. And that's cool for some (alot?) of people. It's just not my bag, baby.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-10-29 10:42 ]

Russell says he likes that lady's goatee!

I'm leaving for Vegas in 4 days! You're freakin' killin' me!!!!!!

On 2008-10-29 19:07, Big Kahuna wrote:
I'm leaving for Vegas in 4 days! You're freakin' killin' me!!!!!!

You'll be back.....

T

Vegas is our city, so I've been watching this with great excitement. So glad the initiative was taken and hard work put in. Risktaking, investment, work -- and all I'll have to do is walk in and order a drink -- thanks!

Frankie's Tiki Room -- yes! In the context of which, a small point: the bearded mug thing. Um, no? Yes, that's what I want to say about it. I want to say no. Not to anyone else, really, because no one asked me. Just to myself really. Yes, that's it, I "just say no" to the bearded pubic hair mug concept. Yes, I feel right about that.

Back to the main point though -- thrilled at this news. Thanks!

T

Unless it's a reference to the line from Ginsberg's "Howl":
who got busted in their pubic beards returning through
Laredo with a belt of marijuana for New York

T

I've had the artwork hanging in my house of the Bearded Clam for a few months. Whether you like the mug or not is a matter of personal taste, but I think the artwork is awesome.

M

One of the best things so far;"Trip distance: 1.18 miles Time: 4 mins" from our house!

Is this it?

P

smiley, you're so funny. i miss you.

On 2008-10-29 21:36, mrsmiley wrote:
One of the best things so far;"Trip distance: 1.18 miles Time: 4 mins" from our house!

Yep, TofuJoe did the same thing when FI was in the works. He even timed how long it took him to walk from his office (8 minutes and 36 seconds, at a brisk pace...).

That Bearded Clam Mug inspired me to develop a special malted beverage that I'm sure would render it quite safe. I can't divulge the full drink recipe here, but I will show you the key ingredient...

or it this it?

K

Wow - this is a terrific mug. It really captures that vintage feel without a truly vintage look. I want a dozen. Who is the designer? Who did the sculpt?

I wonder what the "Bearded Clam" drink will taste like?

( being that the owner invented the world famous

Bacon Martini

.... and Ass Juice!

Arrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

p.s. forgot to mention that it'll be tiki with a twist of
P Moss!

...and a crap load of TC artists art

and TONS of TIKIS and .....

...bamboo and thatch.....

and huts ....

and tapa and......

puffers....

and floats....

and....kitch

...and........puns....and....

shrunken heads....

....and rum!!!!!

and...

Hey Buzzy, I didnt hear about you making pendants for the new bar...

Wow Ray, I have so many clients these days I just can't them all straight. I'm actually doing the pendants for a different Tiki Bar, it turns out. I had my accountant look at the Frankie's PO last night and he informed me that Frankie's had hired me to do a different part of this bar. It's a good thing I have a great support team of employees to keep me on track.
I found out I was commissioned by the owners to do one of the most important aspects of this entire project. I just finished it up and will be driving it out there next week for the installation. Here it is:

Due to the high profile of this venue and star studded talent pool called upon to make this happen, I found it necessary to bring my "A" game for this piece.

Oh wait, it's the phone....it's Tiki Magazine calling...

Buzzy Out!

first 6 chairs are about 9 pictures down here
Working on some live today on the live cam Check back at noonish today to see me sand chair #11.

...this just in.

Ken Ruzic will be joining the fun @ Frankies.

Hmmmmmm..........

I wonder what he'll come up with ????????

Unkle Frankies Head Hut??

.....we'll see.....

T

YAYYY !!!! Im so glad Ken is onboard now . I was pushing his art to Moss since I brought him to the light gallery to show him my tikis . Go get em Ken .

Here's the mug - already on eBay:

Nice mug, but I don't know - there are funny puns and then there's outright crudeness.

Welcome To Las Vegas.

What happens in Bamboo Ben, doesn't always stay in Bamboo Ben.

I know, I've seen him ralf.

YAY!
Thanks Kidz! :)
Just started doing studies for the Shrunken head part of the piece...
i'll let the rest remain a mystery
til i get a grip......
but here's the quickie studies i did last night.....

2 sketchbook reeeeal quickies

and two on nice paper....
that kinda look like Squid! :lol:

Great mugs Holden!
ans with all the killer Art
and the BooBen transforming the interior.....
This place is gonna be PACKED with personality!

W

"I wonder what the "Bearded Clam" drink will taste like?" -RevBambooBen-

That drink's been around ferever. It's fairly common at strip joints that have a Sunday brunch...Kinda surprised yuh didn't know that.

The Bearded Clam

2 oz vodka
1 oz sweet vermouth
2 oz pineapple juice
1 tsp lemon juice
3 oz Clamato® The Original Tomato Clam Cocktail
Dash of TABASCO®

Shake all ingredients together, strain into an ice filled glass. Garnish with a pineapple spear and a celery stick.

LT

I would have guessed Beer and Clamato.

On 2008-10-30 13:52, LOL Tiki wrote:
I would have guessed Beer and Clamato.

Yeah, that's the recipe I've known.

W

I guess I just have brunch at classier strip clubs than the resta you.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 430 replies