Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikis in films

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 691 replies

D
dcman posted on Tue, Jun 15, 2010 5:19 PM

There was a tiki scene originally in the Pixar movie "The Incredibles", which was later cut. You can see some images from it in the book "Art of the Incredibles". Some additional history about them can be found here.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12497&forum=12&14

Here is a bit of concept art from the movie as well. This scene was in the movie, and if you pay attention you can see the massive tikis to the right and left of the table.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GY-vHrWkMMg/SOQ-XUZ_w5I/AAAAAAAAAQg/V-yBU2RhR44/s1600-h/24.jpg

I'm a big fan of Lou Romano's art and specifically his concept art for "The Incredibles", there is a whole bunch here.

http://louromano.blogspot.com/2008/10/more-incredibles.html

Cheers! dcman

There is an episode of Bewitched from late in that series run titled "Samantha's Witchcraft Blows a Fuse", where the owner of a Chinese Restaurant, Ah Fung, has invented a new trademark Tiki Cocktail for his restaurant and serves it to Darwood & Samantha. The drink utilizes a rare ingredient, Himalayan Cinnamon, whichx has an ill effect on Samantha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHg0SaQH-40

Hey Cincy,

Cool find, but I think that one belongs in the Tiki on TV thread, this one is for the movies.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=14293&forum=1&start=90

PS There was an Ah Fongs restaurant chain in LA, including Hollywood.

DC

On 2010-06-15 21:33, Dustycajun wrote:
Hey Cincy,

Cool find, but I think that one belongs in the Tiki on TV thread, this one is for the movies.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=14293&forum=1&start=90

PS There was an Ah Fongs restaurant chain in LA, including Hollywood.

DC

Thanks Dusty and my apologies-I wasn't aware of that thread.

I've reposted the thread in the correct place, can a moderator delete my last posts in this thread please?

The very first post in this thread:

On 2002-06-05 14:59, kah706 wrote:

• Robinson Crusoe on Mars. The stranded astronaut is trying to light a fire in the thin atmosphere with a matchbook which has a tiki mask on it from the Kailua Klub in San Diego, California. Actually, a really good movie too.

Just watched the Criterion Collection Robinson Crusoe on Mars and made this screencap:

I'm assuming the Kailua Klub is fictional.

p.s. besides the Moai... is that s Dereck Yang in the left botton corner?

T3 was epic!

p.s.s. Tri County..... Hmmmm. TC?

Thunderbirds 2004.
Not a great flick but, as soon as I saw their house/HQ I knew there had to be tiki. Lots of PNG pieces. A turtle kava bowl. I spotted a tallish blurry tiki shaped thing in the background.
Somebody please post stills.

I just saw MILK...the Sean Penn film about gay political activist Harvey Milk, and there was a tiki (that looked Crazy Al-ish actually) you could plainly see it in a panning shot of one character's apartment window/wall. This prolly happened around the 55 min mark.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-07-09 22:01 ]

Rainbow Island, 1944, Staring Dorthy Lamour, the Sarong Siren!

So, the Rainbow Island has some Tiki?

Who's this guy hanging out?

Some movie cards ...

Here is the movie write up I found on the net.

RAINBOW ISLAND (1944) PARAMOUNT Good cast of Mexican-American actresses playing natives with stranded merchant marines. Dorothy Lamour in sarong and her tongue in cheek. Also starring Eddie Bracken, Olga San Juan, Elena Verdugo and Yvonne De Carlo. Sounds like a South Seas must See. Navy men plane wrecked on an island of thinly clad women. Lagoon scene. Dorothy plays a haole believe it or not who had shipwrecked there earlier and has been taken in by the natives who of course give her sarongs. Costumes by Edith Head. Bad Art Direction, women have classic look but the men? Tikis. Maori and Aztec designs. Luau
feast. Hawaiian & Samoan words. Couples running off.

Anybody seen this one??

DC

I'm pretty sure there are some nods to tiki in Joe VS the Volcano, but I haven't seen in in some time.

I thought this one would have been posted.

Paul

My Brady Tiki Castings:

Clip from the show:

On 2010-08-19 20:21, blacklagoon wrote:
I thought this one would have been posted.

It has been, several times, in this thread and in many others.

...or were you just looking for an excuse to show us your castings?...:wink:

Must have missed them, mine are not for sale.

Paul

On 2010-08-20 14:22, blacklagoon wrote:
Must have missed them, mine are not for sale.

Paul

On 2010-08-10 10:19, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Hey DC:

I'll have these for Oasis again this year. But that's not the only place to get them...

It's even easier to purchase them now through my etsy store:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HouseofBuzz

I still ship 1-2 days after payment is received and most US orders arrive in 2-3 days.

Buzzy Out!

Buzzy has some more for sale!

DC

Was watching UHF last night, and when George and Bob go to a bar to drink away there problems, George has a blueberry daiquiri in a bali hai mug. It's not a tiki bar scene per say, but I thought it was a nice touch. I'll dig up a picture of it soon.

B
Bau posted on Sun, Sep 12, 2010 1:32 PM

I saw this old Disney movie from the '70s 'Castaway Cowboy'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071288/

one brief tiki scene in the caves.

It was a cute light hearted movie, but I didn't care for the way the Hawai'ian people were portrayed in it.

Found this vintage Japanese Monster Movie art in a book about artist Minamimura Takashi. Not sure which Gamera movie they're from, since the text is entirely in Japanese, but these were done in the 1960s. Pretty sure this is a tiki and not a Buddhist statue:

On 2010-09-13 00:17, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Found this vintage Japanese Monster Movie art in a book about artist Minamimura Takashi. Not sure which Gamera movie they're from, since the text is entirely in Japanese, but these were done in the 1960s. Pretty sure this is a tiki and not a Buddhist statue:

That monster is Barugon so this must be the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060446/

But I Don't remember the praying tiki in the movie.
Can't wait to check.

"Seven Women From Hell" starring Patricia Owens, Denise Darcel and Cesar Romero. 1961. Shot on Kaua'i.

When the Japanese invade New Guinea in 1942, Grace Ingram (Patricia Owens), an Australian member of a scientific expedition, is put in a women's detention camp. She shares her cell with six other women: Janet Cook (Yvonne Craig), a pregnant American teenager; Ann Van Laer (Sylvia Daneel), a tightlipped but sympathetic German widow; Claire Oudry (Denise Darcel), a French waitress; Mai-Lu Ferguson (Pilar Seurat), a Eurasian nurse; and two other Americans, Mara Shepherd (Margia Dean) and Regan (Evadne Baker).

During a bombing raid, Janet's baby is born dead and the humane Captain Oda (Bob Okazaki) is killed. Sergeant Takahashi (Richard Loo), his sadistic assistant, assumes command of the camp, and a friendly Japanese, Doctor Matsumo (Yuki Shimoda), helps the women escape.

Mara is recaptured and tortured to death, and Claire and Regan are killed by rifle fire. The surviving four encounter a wounded American flyer, Lt. Bill Jackson (John Kerr), who helps them make their way to the beach but dies before they can reach safety. A wealthy planter, Luis Hullman (Cesar Romero), finds the girls, feigns friendship, and then attempts to hand them over to the Japanese. But the women learn of his plan, kill him, and escape by boat to the Allied lines.

THE SPY IN THE GREEN HAT - A "Man from U.N.C.L.E" movie. 1966.

"Hunted nazi scientist Dr Kronen (Ludwig Donath) is recruited by THRUSH agent Louis Strago (Jack Pallance) to put a mastermind scheme into place. They plan to use heavy water to divert the Gulf stream causing Greenland to become a tropical paradise under THRUSH control while other areas fall into colder climates. UNCLE agents Napoleon Solo (Robert Vaughn) and Illya Kuryakin (David McCallum) are dispatched to stop the plot."

This movie is a visual feast and has a lot of campy fun going for it. It starts with a chase scene through the old Pacific Ocean Park, including the South Seas Island area.

... Plenty of things for the spies to spy on:

... Janet Leigh as the sexy, villainous secretary, Miss Diketon (yes, it's pronounced "Dick-e-ton"), who has a thing for stabbing folks with knives:

... Catfights:

:up: (Note: it is important to get the Sonic Death Ray in the background during the cat-fight)

Jack Palance's character "Strago" lives in an Mad-Scientist meets Mid-Century-Modern lair, complete with bullet planters, tikis and monstera plants:

... and damsels chained to walls

He throws a swingin' luau-au-go-go at his pad to impress another THRUSH scientist:

:up: Ah! So that's what those monkeypod bowls are for.

:up: Note tiki on table

:up: It is also very important to get the Sonic Death Ray in the same frame as the tiki, as it rotates slowly to the beat of a mambo.

Luckily UNCLE agents Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin put an end to his dastardly luau with the help of the Italian mafia, disguised as guards:

I can't recommend this movie enough.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-10-06 00:58 ]

K
Klas posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2010 1:22 PM

Notice the tiki on the taxi's hood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEEMJ5KQt2o

(from the movie Anna Lucasta, 1958)

JD

Here's a link to my newest short film entitled "Save The Tiki".
How hard can it be to move a 40,000 pound tiki head? This is a short film about "Fini" manager of The Hut, a tiki bar in Tucson, AZ and his mission to save a 3 story high Moai tiki head from being destroyed and giving it a new home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1cyzycI7iM

From the movie "Get Yourself A College Girl"

On 2010-10-16 05:59, bongofury wrote:

Wow. I just watched this and missed those tikis entirely. I'm losin' it!

Bongo,

Cool scene. Any idea where the bar scene is from? A set or a real bar?

DC

Jaws 3D, 1983. Shot at Seaworld Orlando.

Don't know if this has already been posted, but a Tiki western. "Castaway Cowboy" by Disney with James Garner.

A

On 2010-10-16 05:59, bongofury wrote:

Nice catch bongofury! 1964!

I've got an old youtube clip posted from that flick, with a full dance scene in that club with a few cuts to the tikis. I'd say it's almost definitely a set. They're dancing to the Standells version of Bony Moronie. Incidentally, if anyone likes the Standells but isn't familiar with that version by them, I believe it's straight off their Live at PJ's record, which is before their Sunset Strip days.

Also, I think I'm imagining it, but it looks like Lori Williams of Faster Pussycat fame at around the 50 sec mark. Probably not I guess.

FWIW, I posted that clip a couple years ago on one of the youtube threads here on TC (not like everybody's supposed to be aware of every clip posted).

And I also did a youtube clip of the Astrud Gilberto / Stan Getz performance of Girl From Ipanema from the same movie. Kind of incongruous, but that's part of the fun with these movies!

-Randy

DC....think it is a set. Thanks for the youtube link Randy. The problem is once I get on that site I lose a couple of hours looking at videos. Here is a shot of the stage surrounded by Tikis...

UP

I'm looking for a movie that has a sampan in it. In this case a sampan is not a boat, but a bus made from the front clip, fenders and frame of a car with a home made bus body added. They have a roof, but no windows. They were used in Hawaii in the 20's-50's( mostly Hilo) as public transportation and hotel/tourist vehicles. Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I thought it would be easier to explain up front.
Anyway I'm building one out of a 1940 Buick Limited and looking for pictures. I've gotten a few off the net, but I swear I saw one in a movie. It even had a thatched roof.
I thought it was "Blue Hawaii", but no watched it again yesterday. The scene is at a hotel and the car pulls up or is parked in front.
Have to make a Rum Barrel and think.
Any help would be appreciated.

(Mentioned before by bongofury in another thread.)

Though this isn’t the actual image of a tiki….in “The Exorcist-The Version You've Never Seen”, when Reagan is being put through all of the medical testing, the music playing in the doctor’s office is a muzak version of “Quiet Village”.

V

So I've been taking a walk down memory lane via Hulu by watching the first film I worked on: Lord Of Illusions. Haven't seen it since the cast and crew showing many years ago, and not only is it bringing back a flood of memories - it has a few surprises as well!

What could that be lurking on the side table at Swann the magician's mansion?

Henrik "VanTiki"

N

Here's is a scene from Troll where the possessed girl holds and Outrigger Mug, not quite a cimematic masterpiece but when you flip over the DVD and watch Troll 2 it's fricken Citizen Kane.

"Death Moon", 1978

Tiki werewolves...

... on a now lost Poly pop temple.

Quien da más?

Never heard about this "gem"! The art is cool.

I do however recognize the credit to CFI: Consolidated Film Industries was the biggest independent film lab in Hollywood, they processed my movie "Mistress" too. The joke among cinematographers was that the letters C.F.I. stood for "Can't Find It", or alternatively "See If I care". :)

Oh here it is on imdb.com:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077411/

And (reviewed by somebody from Hamburg!?) these aspects sound promising:

"...cheap werewolf costumes in seventies Hawaii cocktail lounge locations"

and

"...a weird electronic sound track and a stunning witch queen played by France Nuyen.."

Liat playing a Hawaiian witch queen? The innocence of Bali Hai lost forever....

From the movie Beach Ball-1965 ....the beachcombers shack...

The Watusi A Go Go (Tonga Lei/ Don The Beachcomber) in Malibu

Party at the shack

Ed "Big Daddty" Roth customs show up at the Long Beach Arena car show

Quick shot of the "Surfite"

Finally got around to seeing Toy Story 3. Look what I found on Andy's wall!

UT

Space Amoeba. Toho Studios 1970. Alien lifeforms brought to earth via a Saturn bound space craft turns local sea life into huge monsters bent on world domination. What the hell else would they do in a Toho movie anyway? The craft lands in the sea near a small Pacific island inhabited by peaceful natives and all hell breaks loose. In the village scenes a moai type tiki can be seen near one of the thatched huts as well as some carvings. Good shots of it just as the giant squid is stomping the hut. The movie culminates in a fight to the death between a giant crab and turtle but the world is saved as during their death duel they both tumble into an active volcano and die. And yes I do highly recommend this fine film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamoebas_(Toho)

JB

S

The plot is about the curse of the Wiki Tikis on Hanahuna.

Aloma of the South Seas (1941), starring Dorothy Lamour and Jon Hall.

Supposedly set in the Cook Islands, which unbeknowst to me, is apparently chock-a-block with papier-mache Moais! Pretty tepid pagan love saga filmed on obvious sets with your standard Gods-are-angry-and-require-a-virgin-sacrifice-before-fake-volcano-erupts plot. Lamour and Hall apparently starred in another South Pacific romance called "The Hurricane", which I haven't seen yet, but is supposedly much better.

Here are a few caps. Sorry for the poor quality, but my copy is from a VHS rip.

The new film, Hop, which starts April 1st, begins on Easter Island. Apparently the secret Easter Chocolate Factory is accessed by taking an elevator through a trap door in a Moai's mouth.

T

That's sacrilicious.

That is soooo cheesy!....or rather eggy (NOT edgy!): Perpetuating the fact that the Western explorers/colonizers gave Rapa Nui such a wrong name! Or wait, is it that Western capitalizers gave Easter such a wrong icon: An egg-laying bunny!

Boy, I would have loved to have heard THAT pitch.

Well, admittedly I still use the term, sometimes... and Babalu will dig it! :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-03-30 16:52 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 691 replies