Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Frankie's TIKI Room ...Las Vegas

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies

Orange

Orange who

Have to derail the knock knock joke for a sec. I've ben laggin' on posting these here. Get at least one alert a week. Someone is always talking about Frankie's.

http://la-oc-foodie.blogspot.com/2012/02/no-213-fave-vegas-watering-holes-vesper.html

Frankies ROCKS !!

So it's the Wild Watusi Mug!

got it, and the menu has been updated as well...

L

Rated at five skulls (out of five for strength), I can't wait to try it!

I
Iolani posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2012 7:00 AM

Dang. That's a nice mug. I flew out Friday morning and just missed getting the new mug, much to my disappointment. My nights at Frankie's earlier in the week were great as always. I love that place.

Dayum...Had to get that mug and a couple of others. Don't know if I will make it there this year...but definitely will next year.

Saw a new mug and glasses on the web site...

got it

and a 4 pak of these

I might pop in on the 23rd.

( If the boss let's me out :wink:

My son and I are going to get a set of those glasses tomorrow, I hope they have some left!

M

Hi some of us will be there on the 23rd about 730 to 1030. A few people are out of town, though.

On 2012-05-22 19:49, mrsmiley wrote:
Hi some of us will be there on the 23rd about 730 to 1030. A few people are out of town, though.

oh darn we went this morning because my son had to work this afternoon, maybe I can talk my hubby into going :wink:

My son and I had a blast tho and got lots of goodies!

I will try to make it tonight but if I go two weeks in a row it could be habit forming.

Val and I finally made it out to Frankie's a couple of weekends back. The reason for the Vegas trip was to see a Los Angeles Kings pre-season game, but since that was cancelled it meant we had 2 nights at Frankie's. No problem there.

Frankie's lived up to it's reputation. Awesome decor, vibe, atmosphere...all around great. It felt comfortable from the moment we walked in, and I don't know that I can say that for any other bars in Vegas that I've been too. The bartenders took great care of us on both trips. We took a friend who's a local the second night and got him his first mug (I warned him it's all downhill from there).

If you're within driving distance to Las Vegas, you owe it to yourself to take a trip to Frankie's. I'm not particularly fond of most of what Vegas has to offer, but I would make a return trip to hang out at Frankie's Tiki Room.

A handful of photos...

Higher resolution versions are on Flickr.

kevin

A great interview with P.Moss of the Double Down and Friankies Tiki Room in Vegas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=opbc1U3848o

Pick up his new book and make sure you read the short story "Old Money" Sick and Funny

W

Frankie's Tiki Room now has New Old Chairs!!! Very comfy rattan and padded! We acquired them from Don the Beachcomber in Sunset Beach, Ca. and they date back to the original Sam's Seafood! Some of the tiki stools are still there for you die hard's. Go sit, drink and enjoy!!!

T

"Frankie's Tiki Room now has New Old Chairs!!!"
I wish a certin bar here would get new seats that were even close to comfy.

Frankies, the Sustainable Tiki Bar!

Re-Use Recycle.

DC

On 2013-01-07 18:27, Dustycajun wrote:
Frankies, the Sustainable Tiki Bar!

Re-Use Recycle.

DC

Keppin' Tiki Alive DC!

The Feb 2013 edition of Sunset magazine has an article about Las Vegas embracing what's left of it's past. It has a short write-up about Frankie's "because it's time to say no to Red Bull and Vodka"

"Frankie's Tiki Room - When you walk into this bar you'll think, Whoa, it's dark in here, and take off your glasses. Nothing will happen. Once you grow accustomed to the permanent twilight, you'll discover you're amid thatch, bamboo, woven grass panels, and carved tiki heads. You're drinking: The Lava Letch, with a lush raspberry taste that tangos nicely with ginger beer, a combo that extinguishes the late afternoon exhaustion."

Ok mike
So get in that 1 of a kind tiki travel machine you made
And get yo ars up here so I can buy you a three rum scum..

Jon

Will be in Vegas January 31st-February 2nd. Will be visiting Frankies and Tiki Lee's booth while I am there. Hope to see some local TCers while I am there!

Later,

PTD

Wayne Curtis' review of Frankie's Tiki Room.

http://slowcocktails.squarespace.com/dispatches/2012/12/10/field-trip-frankies-tiki-room-las-vegas.html

Frankie’s don’t give a shit.

Frankie’s don’t give a shit if you think it’s too dark inside. Fuck you if you don’t like the video poker embedded in the bartop. You don’t like that they free pour when making drinks and don’t use laboratory vessels to ensure consistency? Go back to fucking San Francisco. Don’t like cigarette smoke? Frankie’s don’t give a shit. Go to Wendy’s.

Frankie’s is a neo-retro tiki bar that serves up great, postcard-worthy tiki cocktails, and does so in a place that has more of a crusty, neighborhood hangout sensibility than you’d expect in always-slick Las Vegas. It’s close enough to downtown and The Strip that it requires only a few minutes to get there, but it’s far enough away to make it feel like an oasis (granted, an oasis at midnight), providing respite from the constant, conning hustle.
And that makes this pretty close to an authentic tiki bar, even though it’s been tiki only since 2008. It feels like the 1950s here, complete with smoky haze, lack of preening, and a leave-it-at-the-door attitude. It’s also got a killer interior, designed by the grandson of the designer behind Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room.

I sipped a couple of tall drinks, including the Lava Letch served in one of the bar’s fine custom tiki mugs (“collectible designs by some of the world's top lowbrow artists”). I’ll admit the drinks weren’t perfect — a bit too sweet for me, but not bad.

The sound track was distantly Hawaiian, accompanied, more proximately, by a raspy, smoke-tortured laugh. This laugh had character — a long, leisurely roll of vexed amusement that dissolved into thorny rattles of a phlegmy staccato, which floated around the room for a long while, mingling with the cigarette smoke.

You don’t like hearing a laugh that reminds you of emphysema? Frankie’s don’t give a shit. You don’t like it, go to the Mandarin Oriental.

That's a pretty good review of Frankie's. Only problem, like most reviews is they only talk about one drink. And the Lava Letch is on the sweeter side. But there are 25 other original drinks now. They vary from sweet to strong. The best part about Frankie's is the current bartenders have designed the drinks themselves. That's one advantage of the place only being 4 years old. And they take pride in their work. As a Vegas local and a Frankie's regular I've learned which bartenders created which drinks. So I do have an advantage of knowing which drinks to order depending on who is serving them. When you can order a drink off the person who created it, it doesn't get any better than that. Either way, they have so many drinks now I would imagine everyone could find at least a few drinks they'd love. I tried the six new drinks last night. The Tonga Reefer and Scurvy are something special. I already want to go back.

I will be going when I get a babysitter... Saturday, I hope. New drinks, woohoo!

O
Otto posted on Sat, Mar 2, 2013 10:00 PM

On 2013-02-21 16:23, Tiki Gadfly wrote:
That's a pretty good review of Frankie's. Only problem, like most reviews is they only talk about one drink. And the Lava Letch is on the sweeter side. But there are 25 other original drinks now. They vary from sweet to strong. The best part about Frankie's is the current bartenders have designed the drinks themselves. That's one advantage of the place only being 4 years old. And they take pride in their work. As a Vegas local and a Frankie's regular I've learned which bartenders created which drinks. So I do have an advantage of knowing which drinks to order depending on who is serving them. When you can order a drink off the person who created it, it doesn't get any better than that. Either way, they have so many drinks now I would imagine everyone could find at least a few drinks they'd love. I tried the six new drinks last night. The Tonga Reefer and Scurvy are something special. I already want to go back.

Gadfly, how a bout an indepth review of said drinks as a primer for future visitors?
For example maybe you could match bartender names-to-drinks ?
With 25 originals to choose and probably several more classics it would be difficult for someone to make an educated decision if they will only be able to be there for one night.

AND, can you post this review within the next couple weeks cause I will be there at the end of March!?

Sounds good. I will post something in the next couple of days.

New mug on the web site

New book on the website...

Jon

Awesome interview. :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/nov/16/top-10-bars-las-vegas

A lil' story for ya'll. The bar Champagnes almost became Don the Beachcomber before Don's got Sam's/Kona in Sunset Beach. I met with
Art Snyder
there to discuss how to convert it into a Tiki bar. He wanted to cut it in half, 1/2 Tiki and 1/2 dive. I'm sure glad that Sam's/Kona became available for him instead. This was after I did Frankie's. Just a lil' behind the scene Tiki story. :wink:

Just saw this on the web site

Safe n sound

See Y'all on the 7th!!! Already 5 years old!!?? Crazy!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies