Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What's up with those Scorpion Bowls in Boston?

Pages: 1 21 replies

T
Thor posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2003 8:49 PM

Seriously.

perhaps more info would be helpful...

T
Thor posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2003 11:32 PM

I'm on the left.

[ Edited by: Thor on 2003-03-18 23:34 ]

DZ

huh? I don't get it... seriously.

Doctor Z
Mix-maestro of the Castaway Lounge,
Redondo Beach, CA

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2003-03-19 04:17 ]

?

[ Edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:33 ]

T
Thor posted on Wed, Mar 19, 2003 8:03 AM

What I want to know is why American Chinese restaurants frequently have these silly drinks in enormous, oft collectible glasses, with umbrellas, dry ice, and other accoutrements? Is it related to Tiki? Do the two dining establishment genres overlap? I figured that most people here know more than me about this, you might have something to say.

Seriously.

On 2003-03-19 08:03, Thor wrote:
What I want to know is why American Chinese restaurants frequently have these silly drinks in enormous, oft collectible glasses, with umbrellas, dry ice, and other accoutrements? Is it related to Tiki? Do the two dining establishment genres overlap? I figured that most people here know more than me about this, you might have something to say.

Seriously.

Thor,

(first off though, for some reason your TC name - Thor - implied some sort of greek god male; guess I's wrong!)

Many chinese restaurants dabbled in going polynesian in the 50's and 60's. There's a restaurant called 'Li's' by my house that was polynesian in the 60's, and they still serve drinks in bowls. Just ask Crazy Al, I think he swiped one on our last OC Tiki Crawl.

Seriously!

T
Thor posted on Wed, Mar 19, 2003 10:01 AM

That's not really me on the left.

Seriously.

I posted my real picture in the Tiki Member Photos thread.

[ Edited by: Thor on 2003-03-19 10:04 ]

E

This is one of the most confusing feckin' threads ever!

:-?, em

P.S. who is she? And yes, Bong is right on, the two genres cross over, also in the sense that, most "Polynesian" food served in the classic Tiki joints was and is Cantonese and variations thereon. Chefs generally Chinese too.

That and the question if Easter Island statues are considered Tiki are giving me the feelin' that Thor is ignorant of The Book Of Tiki...

(P. 60: "...Chinese restaurants updated their style with the hut look to benefit from the Polynesian craze..." See P. 62 for pictures)

http://www.bookoftiki.com

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.