Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Seven Seas, Los Angeles, CA (bar)

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

D
Danno posted on Sun, Jan 24, 2016 8:16 AM

It was definitely opened during those years. It was popular with Friday and Saturday night "new wave" music/dance nightclubs at that time, so it fits in perfect to the "Valley Girl" movie. I went a couple of times with friends during that time period (a much younger Danno).

On 2011-11-09 19:24, Captain Grimes wrote:

On 2008-11-25 15:28, Tattoo wrote:
The hardest part has been trying to figure out when the 7 Seas opened (and closed). The dateline I have come up looking at postcards and writings is

1936 - a post card that refers to a visit in 1936
1937 - Ray Haller postcard
1941 - Bob Brooks postcard
1981 - Wonderland Murder article in NY Times

So it's save to say the 7 Seas was open from at least 1936 through 1981. Another question I've had is the whole Ray Haller and Bob Brooks relation. If you ask me, they're the same person!

I've been doing a little research in the LA Times for a project, and came up with some possible answers.

The earliest mention of the 7 Seas that I can find is from The Times' Hollywood gossip column of December 26, 1935. Here's the full quote:

Recent visitors at Ray Hallor's Seven Seas Cafe included Alice Faye, Jean Harlow, Dorothy Lee, the Hugh Herberts, Betty Lawford, Eugene O'Brien, and the Ray Dodges.

I've discovered the exact opening date. From the LA Times column "Around and About in Hollywood" on November 30, 1935:
"A preview of Ray Hallor's new Seven Seas cocktail lounge is set for Monday night with the formal opening the following evening." Nov. 30, 1935 was a Saturday, so that would make the formal opening on December 3, 1935. Additionally, I think Ray Hallor is referred to in such a way that it is assumed the reader is familiar with the name, especially since it's in a Hollywood column, further cementing the conclusion that the actor is the correct guy.

edit: bad math

[ Edited by: holdontotherail 2017-05-12 18:55 ]

Found this today while digging thru postcards at the swapmeet

Great Napkin! Don't have that one.

Picked up another photo folder from the Seven Seas with a view of some more of the Leeteg paintings with sailors having fun.

DC

Article about the Seven Seas during it's "New Wave" days so it must be late 1970's/early 1980's when it was nicknamed Seven Sleaze.

[ Edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2018-01-24 13:06 ]

Took this out of a scrapbook, napkin is in terrible shape, and someone used the paper holes tabs to secure the spoon to the napkin.
The other non related items on that page were from 1951-1952... so my guess this would be from that time frame as well.

I got an email for Tim Miguel who said his mom, Wailana, was an entertainer at the Seven Seas as well as Hurricane Cove and the Waikiki both on Catalina Island in the 60s. Here she is at Seven Seas

3 more pics from Tim Miguel of his mom at the Seven Seas 7seas 2 7 seas 4 7 seas 1

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2022-03-15 19:29:39 ]

O
Otto posted on Fri, Apr 7, 2023 10:53 PM

I noticed this in Kerry J. Byrnes 2021 e-book "Echoes of Exotica" As it turns out, Ed Nash, aka Eddie Nash later became famous for owning the Starwood which was the most popular club for Punk on sunset Strip So Eddie had sellout shows with Martin Denny in 1968, then the Sold-Out final show of The Germs in 1980Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 10.25.54 PM!

[ Edited by Otto on 2023-04-07 22:54:19 ]

Pages: 1 2 56 replies