Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

tiki bar scene in NEW movie

Pages: 1 10 replies

While visiting the Menehune Room at the Waldorf hotel in Vancouver (see topic: tonight's the night), the bartender told me a scene had been shot there for a movie called "The Pledge" with Jack Nickelson and Sean Penn. He also said it had been used in the last few months for a film called "It's a Guy Thing", but the heat from the lights they used ruined the linen ceiling which had been painted to look like stars in a night sky. The producers offered to pay for the damage, but the owner has no idea how to replace what was lost.

M

In the original thread, I mentioned this scene in "The Pledge." Thanks for clearing up its location! It looks like a great place in the movie. Can you post the pix you took?

thanks

martin

BB

tell em' to send me a picture of the ceiling and I might be able to fix it for em'.

I'll send Bamboo Ben's info to the owner. I plan to post a few pictures over the weekend. I think you can see the damaged ceiling in one of the pix.

I watched "The Pledge" this weekend and I have to report the movie doesn't even begin to do the Waldorf justice. Maybe "A Guy Thing" which comes out in Septmeber will do a better job of capturing it. I scored a nice postcard when I was there and posted it on my Yahoo Photo's page. I also took a bunch of pictures, but since the tables were not set, etc. the postcard is actually better. One thing the card doesn't show, however, are the fantastic murals and the the Leetag paintings. I also added a few pictures of our visit to the Alibi and castaway Cove.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/kailuageoff/lst?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.view=

Thanks for the photos. I miss the ol' TC photo archive....
One can only imagine how great the Outrigger must have been in it's heyday. And to think that Frances Langford performed there still in the 80s!

Can't tell if this is the right thread for this, but last night I spotted a tiki-type bar in the movie The Majestic. When Jim Carrey gets drunk before crashing his car, he does it in a bar with lots of fish floats, grass matting on the walls, etc. The cocktail waitress wore a 2-pc sarong type deal, and I'm pretty sure I spotted one lonely tiki over Jim's shoulder at one point. :)

T

A minor sighting in the excellent and hilarious Art School Confidential:

I noticed the Bali mask, lower left, Mexican mask, upper left, and Diablo mask, right while watching 'Confidential too. I thought it was funny that the producers used 20 dollar masks like I have at home rather than some expensive African or New Guinea piece that would impress art illuminati.

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-03-07 14:47 ]

On 2002-08-07 10:49, snarkoutgirl wrote:
Can't tell if this is the right thread for this, but last night I spotted a tiki-type bar in the movie The Majestic. When Jim Carrey gets drunk before crashing his car, he does it in a bar with lots of fish floats, grass matting on the walls, etc. The cocktail waitress wore a 2-pc sarong type deal, and I'm pretty sure I spotted one lonely tiki over Jim's shoulder at one point. :)

I was at my Mom's today, she was watching this movie on TV. I don't know how I never noticed before, there are quite a few tikis in this movie. In the scene where Jim Carrey's character is fired from his job, he heads to a bar called the "Coco Bongo" to drown his sorrows.

Just to the right of the monkey hangs a tiki on the wall. This was the only screen grab I could find on the web, but in the scene when they show him from the right side, behind him were three, 6 foot tikis lined up against the wall. They did a really good job on the interior of this tiki bar, made me wish it was a real place. In the film, he leaves the bar and the exterior is the Santa Monica Pier. Too bad it's not really there...

Saw a new documentary at the LA Film Fest this weekend called The Cool School (about the LA art scene in the 60s.) In one scene they quickly pan down La Cienega and past the old Islander - barely a blink but it was cool to se it there.

Pages: 1 10 replies