Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

a Mai-Kai in Texas?

Pages: 1 4 replies

I

Here is an interesting news clip I came across ......

"Flames destroy historic local Mai-Kai night club located on the old Diboll highway. Originally named Walters Supper Club and later named The Rendvous, it was built in the 1940s and withstood many a Texas two-step across its solid wood floor."

This fire happened in January, 1989, in the town of Diboll, Texas, which is a small town of 5500 people, located halfway between Houston and Dallas.

http://www.dibollfreepress.com/news/2009/0121/history/014.html

So, anyone here ever hear of this place? Was it tiki? Can one two-step with a mai-tai in hand? The fire happened the same day that the local Bass Club elected new officials. You think they had anything to do with the fire?

Vern

Wowsy Wows, Vern! You not only found a potential tiki treasure I've never heard of in my own state, you even found a city I've never heard of!

Diboll is south of Lufkin on 59. Looks like i may need to road trip up there for some research!!

Hi Vern -

I just came across your post while searching for info on the Mai-Kai in Diboll, TX. -- My father-in-law worked there from 1972 - '74 while attending school at Stephen F. Austin. Joanne Appleton owned the place. Apparently speed was the thing, and he says they'd go through 1,000 drinks @ $0.90/per on a good night ($0.50 for a draft beer). Bourbon & Coca-Cola was the popular drink, as were the steaks. Sadly it wasn't a classic tiki joint.

Kevin

[ Edited by gardenbarphx on 2022-06-21 16:20:44 ]

BB

And this is exactly why I'm so glad to have TC back - old mysteries are still being solved!

Agreed!

Pages: 1 4 replies