Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

small wood carving from France. Short update last page

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 695 replies

C

Looking great! now I'm curious.... what kind of furniture you make?

L

Thank's for stopping here TC'ers!

Ben, thank you for kind word! I'm not worry, if you begin this kind of carving, I'm sur what the result become so good... You already have a steady hand for that!
The black koru is in grenadill. Ebony is late delivery...

BenZ, this three pieces have already an owner, I must finishing soon I'm late delivery too... Maybe tomorrow tool pix! Thank's for comment.

Clarita, thank's for the comp. And furniture what I make is not very artistic, just storage furniture in pannel and a bed for my most little daughter.

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

L

Contest for a tools addict : If you know the name and function of this beast , mp me your adress and you win a postcard from my holiday place next week!! :D

More pics soon!
Have a good night!

Jérôme.

P

Your work is awesome. Attention to detail is clearly something you're good at. Keep it up.

B

Looks like a tool for removing wood...I WIN???

It is a plunge router to make a rabbit like around the edge of a table or such for inlay. THe depth can be controlled and the distance from the edge can be controlled. It can also be used to route the rabbit in the drawer sides t allow the drawer bottom to me held in place. There are probably a dozen or more uses for this tool.

L

You almost found it! You have understood the system setup but there is only one possible USE for this one. One more chance,I wait the english name....

most explicit view:

(Try to search here)

Thank's for the comp Putitiki! Continue to have fun with carving!

Jérôme

[ Edited by: laojia 2009-06-21 02:25 ]

B

Oh, Right, I Forgot , it is an American plow plane, used by the expert farmer to plow those long, straight lines in the dirt. we all knew that?
Or maybe it's a Handled Sandusky Beech Plow Plane w/ Boxwood Nuts (they must hurt).
But then it should be the Handled Skew Rabbit Plow Plane because of the skew cutter it most certainly has.
Which ever won it is It has Won main purpose and that is to cut (or plow) a long parallel ditch or rabbit in a piece of wood before you give up and throw it into the fireplace! :o (btw, it doesn't work on rabbits, but Makes rabbits,Everywon knows that)
Thanks Jerome

L

"before you give up and throw it into the fireplace!"

Oh no BenZ ! This kind of tool never give up:

Just one minutes to make this groove... Sometimes faster than settle and start the machine.
In any case you deserve widely your price! I wait your address.

I've finished the dovetails assembly of my little workbench. Almost ready to leave in holyday. Playing with knive and wood hunk on the beach...

Plywood drawer, for tool and vise storage

closed by four bench dog

Now some pieces finished (And if I become a master in this kind of pieces,as I read above, it is thanks to every support/encouragement/advice from all TC'ers.)

This pendant ships tomorrow to its owner

My cord work must be improve, it's the first...

Two shiny koru

Have a good evening everyone!

Jérôme.

Great looking pieces, and nice home for your tools.

S

Yes, those fella look great!

L

Hello TC'ers!

Leaving holiday tomorrow!

Backpack, workbench, one old guy to continue carving and some good reading... face the océan!
So no update for few days, or only for check the swap.

Have nice days!!!

Jérôme.

T

Wow, your woodworking skills are awesome! I love that workbench!! Have a great Holiday!

B

Wow, Lookit this stuff

This little work bench is Awesome!, just glue the postcard to the top and mail it along. :o AND Look at that JavaJava guy sitting up there ready for more detail,,SWEET.
Of course the pendants are Excellent too and I still love the Black wood the best.
Your cords are good and it is SO Easy to make them perfect from your level. Just Hold the braid tightly, alternating fingers and pulling it tight AS you braid it. The keeping the braid TIGHT makes all the difference. THEN after you have finished the braid and secured the ends, Stick a screw driver in a vice extending out horizontally and drape the cord over the shaft.( It can be anything but it should be smooth) Now grab each end of the cord with your hands and make a motion like you are Polishing the screwdriver, pulling very hard. Do this for a couple minutes and you will see the Magic begin.
Your braid will smooth out, tighten up and look like Paipo or Andy might have done it :lol: :P :)
Hope this helps.

B

Laojia, shouldn't you be coming home about now? I Know you took carving tools with you so what pieces do you have to delight us with?
Hope your Holiday was Nice and relaxing.

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jul 11, 2009 3:41 PM

I love that workbench/box, it's so cool to see some other fine craftsmanship that is carving-related. I was just talking to a furniture maker I know out in the water yesterday, and I'm going to try and check out his workshop when I'm over in the city next time. Those old woodworking tools are very appealing! I am going 100% old-school and hand powered for my wood setup.
Hopefully you've made some progress on the MKK while you've been on holiday....I don't recall anyone else here ever attempting a full version?

Laojia,

beautiful workbox/bench and the little guy is coming along wonderfully. i still haven't gotten into my small piece of black walnut. how has it been to carve? have a great holiday and don't get too sunburned.

bd

L

Hello I'm back yesterday! :) :) :)

A small reply after some hours of reading to discover all news stuff across the carving forum :o :o ... Lots of talent around... And not enough time to comment everyone :-? ...

I was very exciting to see your new work Benz! And so sorry for what happens! :( I hope your injury heal good...

Maybe tomorrow a complete update with holiday pics... :P

Write you later!

Jérôme.

B

Welcome home Jerome, I'm sure you're tired after a long trip so just rest up a few minutes then Back to work?? :o
Seriously, I hope you had a great time and cleared all the cobwebs out of your head. Thanks for the well wishes too I think I'll be carving in a day or two. Tried a bit today but it isn't gonna work yet!.

B

On 2009-06-20 16:01, laojia wrote:
Contest for a tools addict : If you know the name and function of this beast , mp me your adress and you win a postcard from my holiday place next week!! :D

More pics soon!
Have a good night!

Jérôme.

Laojia, A Beautiful Postcard arrived today and pictured were these Beautiful Boulders scattered around a field of Green, Green Grass, as far as the eye could see and I Swear that far off on one of the rocks is a shadow of a man creating the Moai. Is that you and is that why you named it "The field of not finished moai"? :) Only you sir , Beautiful, and Thanks Immensely for the card and for the thoughts too. How fortunate I could share your Holiday, Fun. Well I think I'm tired now so will turn in Thanks again.

L

Hello TC'ers! Thank you late for reply Tikimango/Seeksurf/BigT/BD/Paipo/Benz...

The holiday was good, relaxing, sunny but not very studious for sculpture ... Only some of cord work (thank's for advise BenZ, very useful!) to deliver the last two Koru and a session of two hours to put the Kavakava on the road to progress. Also a pleasant encounter with a parisian carver for a lunch on the road...

BenZ!

How is your hand? Pleased that the card is already come, then that may be in the Yipwan also found its new home... Pleased to see that the postcard that you like! In fact, it is a field of stones lifted, dating back to antiquity and is called "menhir". It is something fairly common in Europe but rarely in such large numbers. Nobody really knows the meaning of any of this...

Some holiday pix:

White sand, sun, blue lagon water but temperature from brittany

A local Kavakava standing above a fountain lost in a field:

Lion that decorates a roof:

A dead thujas tree carving :

The owner of the garden told me that it was carved there are 5 or 6 years by a friend. "It was that or the fire" she has said...
Unicorn head detail:

After all these years, with the weather starts to rot, so she hopes to cut it to install on base.
prow of Drakkar:

No meeting with the artist, moved to the south of France...

Work pix:

Cord work for grenadill Koru:

Almost same for the pink ivory (just forgot to take the picture before delivery...)

Work in progress on the Kavakava

Paipo: I do not know if I am the first to attempt a full version (too recently registered) but I hope I'm not the last. I think it's a very good challenge for a carver... full of detail, full of work...

Foot cord vise: a technique of Indian I believe.

That's all for today, thank's for looking!

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jul 14, 2009 1:47 AM

Good to see your magic box in action! It's given me some insight into solving problems I've wondered about with working on smaller pieces. A very elegant solution. Those pfeil chisels are making me jealous too!

L

Well done Paipo! I am in now Dr Frankenkava!!! :lol:

HERE a good source of inspiration for tips and techniques for workbench and clamping.

Don't be jealous, everybody can buy Pfeil chisel anywhere and not many people can find jade tongue near his neighborhood...

J.

Thanks for the article on the work bench. Some nice benches for inspiration to build one. Foot vice looks painful though.

T

Cool tree carving! She nees to save that before it's too late.

The kavakava is looking good! :) xnay on the foot vise. No way I want my bare foot close to the chisels. I drop those suckers all the time! :lol:

C

Great rod trip work bench! i'll check the article too later, nice pics of your vacation, luckily it didn't rain, or you would have been at risk of your creation to be ALIVE, ALIVE!

B

Love the vacation Photos, the carvings were an Excellent find?
Thanks too for the Workbench book, it holds Many hours of fun and inspiration. I was Already eying your beautiful big bench and being very envious of that. (Sorry it's a tool junkie thing.)Maybe if I had one of those benches I could make a tenon joint half as tight as the ones in your mini/portable bench? Ah,SURE, Dream on Ben. Nice to see Paipo showing some tool envy. :lol: :P :o

Man your mobile work bench is freak'n Awesome.
Cheers Watango

S

Nice! The vac looks like a soother.

The little fella looks so good all secured on the work table.
Some nice local art to stoke the mind.

The Kavakava is COMING TO LIFE!!!!!

B

On 2009-07-14 01:18, laojia wrote:
Also a pleasant encounter with a Parisian carver for a lunch on the road...

All the pleasure was for me !

Happy weather = happy holidays :)

The Moai's progressing really nicely and I can't wait to see him finished.
The "foot vice" is very interesting and your foot seems to be done for it, as my job allow me to see !

The koru is even better when I got it in my hands, it was hard to give it back to you.

B.

BD

dr. frankenkava! i love it. the beach looks wonderful and sorry to hear it was cold and your koru's are beautiful as always. keep up the good work.

bd

L

Well happy TC'ers! Thank you for paying attention to my work!!

Tikilizard: Thank's for stopping here and don't worry for my foot, I can also walk on embers... :roll:

Big T: Thank's for reply! Never drop a chisel! A good sharpening take too long time!!

Clarita: Always happy to see you around here! My creation still asleep, but maybe one day...

BenZ: Don't be envious, your dream can become reality! I give course every friday afternoon on demand! :D You wrote "Nice to see Paipo showing some tool envy". Certainly really nice but, like you, I would prefer to see the Paipo's wood work! This is a CALL!!!

Watango: Thank's and cheers from the other side of our mother earth!

Seeksurf: Thank's for comment! Always appreciate from you.

Surfin': Thank's for LOUD reply!!!

Benjamin: Bientôt vacances, repos, ect... Cool! Next meeting maybe here!

Big daddy: Thank's for encouragement! You too keep up the good work!

Sorry, not much time to carve these last days, many major works in progress. Kavakava sleep a little... Just a new toolbox with, perhaps one day, decor Marquesan in "Lake" style:

Have a good night!

Jérôme.

B

On 2009-07-28 13:27, laojia wrote:

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

B

Of Course another tool box is a Must! You make some of the Tightest tenon joints I've ever seen. The addition of the Marquesan decorations will definitely be a Plus. Don't let the Kava man sleep too long, he needs food more than sleep as he is Way too thin!

L

You're right BenZ! The kavakava has had enough of being extended to the bottom of the box ... it now stands after a few cuts, his eyes are empty and there is still much work to do on the back...

On the Bench two new ebony pieces almost finished.

Just one last pic for tool adict: a vintage router planer, ideal for smooth mortises funds... and unnecessary to carve whatever...

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

B

On 2009-08-14 23:59, laojia wrote:
You're right BenZ! The kavakava has had enough of being extended to the bottom of the box ... it now stands after a few cuts, his eyes are empty and there is still much work to do on the back...

On the Bench two new ebony pieces almost finished.

Just one last pic for tool adict: a vintage router planer, ideal for smooth mortises funds... and unnecessary to carve whatever...

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

Ah Yes, Kava man awakens, but will he find sustenance o fill his gaunt ribs, I think knot.
I don't know, I might be able to use that router plane on a piece some day, Ring it UP. :) :lol: "Yes honey, I Need that tool for a project."

L

"No problem "Honey" you going to take it when you want, always have a few beers in a cool place for friends here!" :P :lol:

Cheers Ben!

N

Those dovetails are superb a true craftsman!

T

Kava man looking good. Eager to see some more of him!

B

Hi there,

Here's what I received yesterday :

No need to say how much I'm impressed and happy with this beauty.
Now, I have no excuse to do bad stuff !

Thanks 7 million times Laojia,

Benjamin.

B

Sorry double post.

[ Edited by: benella 2009-08-29 02:24 ]

B

Sorry triple post.

[ Edited by: benella 2009-08-29 02:24 ]

B

Super piece of workmanship, and I
would post it several times too benny :)
I think we will hold you to that statement of "No Excuses" :o
Jerome Strikes again with another display of fine cabinetry! Drool!

L

Hi everybody!!

Nomolos, thank's for the comp!

BigT, thank's for comment! Don't worry, soon a Kavakava update...

Benjamin, wOw triple post! I understand your excitation... It is I who thank you for your trust, and now back to work! :P

BenZ, thank's for your words, I'll must go to the next step... :wink:

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

C

Nice!

S

Nice Ben looks like you scored.

these are incredable!!! your one excellent craftsman!!!

L

Hello TC'ers!

Long time without posting here, after a busy summer it is time to continue this thread.

First time: thank's very much for reply Clarita, seeksurf and Mooney!

Then: After some joinery work for a sensei carver in Florida...

Back to carving with joy and full of piece already started and very few complete!

Two Hei matau, one in pink ivory, the other in ebony ( Ebony dust very irritating !)

Two Koru, I preferred finish the ebony piece with linseed oil. Before I tried to polishing it, very bad result: ebony polished is look like perfect than a plastic piece... Yet a little sanding and finishing on the double koru in pink ivory

A friend lent me his chainsaw during one afternoon, it allowed me to trim the old log that I have to roughing the moai

Some days after (time to clean workshop :roll: ) I took the tools to make some hard chopping and chiselling...case to follow!

All under the stern gaze of kavakava Man...

Have a nice day everybody!

Jérôme.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 695 replies