Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

small wood carving from France. Short update last page

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 695 replies

Niiiiiiiiice! Friggin' NICE! Beautiful work.

B

More Great stuff Laojia. we're so used to seeing these guys all in in Green and I'm happy to say they look Incredible in Black.That Manaia would be great over on this side of the Pond!

B

On 2009-11-17 11:48, laojia wrote:

Manaia, tail side

Jérôme.

Di I tell you that I fell off my chair when I look at this masterpiece ?

Crazy stuff there, Sir Laojia.

J'adore,

B.

Great looking pieces in the ebony!

Gotta love you choice in woods! That pink ivory is some really nice stuff. Got my eye on a piece, for a mallet. Having a hard time spending $60, but it would be really pretty! :).

Love you little guys on the bench and the mermaid looking ebony piece. I originally thought the little guys would take less time. WRONG! especially if you don't have the right tools.

L

Well, it was a good afternoon, a cold sunny day of november, alone in my workshop...

TikiG, thank's for comment! I also like seeing pictures of work in progress, we learn much...

Andy, big, very big thank you for the compliment!!! Now I am indebted...
And... sorry, but what's the meaning of Ka pai ?

Surfin', thannnxxxx! :D

BenZ, thank you too! "That Manaia would be great over on this side of the Pond!" I took notes... :roll:

Bennno! So back on your chair, I just finished polishing!!! Thank you bro'! I await yours... :wink:

Mango, thank you! And thank's for inspiration, you are also somewhat responsible for this.

Customkiis, thank's for stopping here! Await to see some pieces from you...

Back to the workshop:

Few week ago, my father gave me a hunk of a curious wood, heavy, red and yellow coloured . He don't know what is it, just that come on a packaging to throw away...
I tried a few cuts, it appears suitable for carving.

A matau already finished

More to come...

The second Hawaïan tiki almost finished (without sanding!)

Oopps! I almost forgot ...
Polished Manaia, arm side...

And finally Pekapeka:

Thank's for looking

Have a nice weekend!

Jérôme.

Really nice work Jerome. I really like your ebony Manaia, very cool.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 19, 2009 4:54 PM

like candy......oh, gman likee!

A
amate posted on Thu, Nov 19, 2009 5:48 PM

Yes, that found wood is very beautiful indeed! Discovering the beauty of the grain as you cut into a piece is a large part of the joy of carving in my opinion. Oh yes,as always, your carvings rock!

I like your workshop, especially your stand.

B

Excellnt stuff there Jerome, HOWEVER I think you are Mistaken about being alone in your cold shop. I See Many tikis standing/laying around watching, helping you! Also I'm Positive the Ancient Souls are busy there. So continue on alone in your cold shop....... :o :P :D

P

looks like cocabola

Some beautiful carving you are doing these days Jerome!

You should be very proud of all of them, wonderful finishes and precision cuts!

L

Thank's for looking everybody!

All your responses encouraged me to move forward, always in search of inspiration and hunk of wood where I could do something... :D

Thank you Conga, I think this piece is quite successful. And I still have a little Ebony... Case to follow!

Glad you like Gman! I see that you've not passed the age of candy... :roll:

Amate, thank's for the comp! You're right when you wrote about the discovering beauty of the grain wood: a really joy for all woodworker !

Hey BenZ, it's right what we are never completely alone when we carve... But is what you think the Ancient Souls could do something for heating? It would make me good service... :P :lol: Thank's for the comp'!

Look like cocobola, more clear and much less expensive! Thank's for reply Pdrake!

Thank you Dave! You know I just try to make the precision cut, the wonderful finishes are come with quality of wood. Say thank you to Mother Nature, there is nothing more than polishing for finishing.

Sorry no pics update for this week... :(

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

T

On 2009-11-19 13:49, laojia wrote:
The second Hawaïan tiki almost finished (without sanding!)

Jérôme.

Yeah, this little guy is coming along great. Nice set of chisels too.

C

oh very nice, and the ebony carvings too, great stuff!

L

Hello happy TC'ers!

Hey BigT, thank's for the comp! My set of chisel and gouges are odd, some are very old, the others newer and all are sharpened as best I can... :wink:

Thank's for stopping here Clarita. Your visit always appreciated!

Here coming the third brother of the hawaîan series:

Traces instead of the mouth are due to a false move who cost a good blade bandsaw and a good fear... :x

Have a nice weekend!

Jérôme.

[ Edited by: laojia 2009-11-27 09:56 ]

Wow!

I really like the way you pose the body. Few carvers manage to get the Hawaiian body pose right, or even bother to open the negative spaces (spaces between arms and legs). It is so great to see your work.

Aloha!

Marcus

Jerome, you don't make mistakes at your level... just your body and mind having a slight argument, and which ever wins was the proper choice! This new one is coming along nicely.

B

Jerome, These Hawaiian series guys are looking magnificent! How can you do these so well? Because you are a Master in disguise, thats how.. You can't fool us,, the Jug's up, chrade over we Know now.
HappyHappyhappy

A
amate posted on Sat, Nov 28, 2009 4:02 PM

More excellent work my friend. You're a machine!

L
laojia posted on Thu, Dec 3, 2009 5:56 AM

Hello everybody!

A non-tiki carving update.
Some have asked me to release a blazon for a sort of competition for a festive year-end of my work.
The subject was more or less free, so we did it.

Inspiration come from here

I've carve the face on a plank of basswood

Then a little painting and two coats of varnish

Fixing on a plywood panel with two gloves filled with sawdust and cut vinyl lettering

're done and we had a good laugh!

Marcus, thank's for this constructive compliment. These are concepts that I had not yet put into words...

Tikimango, thank's your concern but in fact I makes a big error in my haste. Wood has rolled on the table, wedging the blade before hurt my left hand and jump behind the saw... Nothing serious but a good scare!

Benz' ! Me a master in disguise? No! But I met one last weekend in Paris. Thank's for reply sensei carver!

Amate, thank's for the comp! I mainting the machine in the best possible...

I still have to spend an hour on this guy:

Thank's for looking!

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

A
AKUAE posted on Thu, Dec 3, 2009 8:30 AM

HEY JEROME

great work on your three hawaien brothers
bonne soiree

Alex

L
laojia posted on Thu, Dec 3, 2009 8:55 AM

Thank you Alex!

the fourth is at the stage of design, come soon...

Looks like a pretty cool headdress coming up!

E2

super boulo !!!!!
tres dure de travailler du petit !!!!!
de plus la qualité finale de ton bois est superbe !!!!!!

B

You're gonna mess around and get to be an Excellent carver by next week if you don't slow down. Love that last project, it looked fun and imaginative..... HappyHappy

Love the "ratfink" style and the Ku is coming along nicely. You been bit by the tiki bug. There's no escape now.

B

On 2009-12-03 05:56, laojia wrote:

Hey bro', you will have to put this beauty on a higher shelf, because it's a top shelf dude.

Can't wait for the new pix.

B.

L

ghosts post...

[ Edited by: laojia 2009-12-17 14:52 ]

L

Hello everybody!
Last update before Xmas. The temperature does not rise from below zero and the studio is too cold to carve more than an hour... So I retreat inside, where I finicky small carving in progress.

-Thank's for looking Surfin'! The hairdress is coming out, just need a bit of sanding... Pics soon!

-Eric21, thank's for stopping here et merci du compliment!

-Hey BenZ! Thank's for comment! It was really fun to carve and win the contest with this! In fact my boss win... The important thing was a good laugh! Thank's again! I hope you feel well and that we will soon see new pieces from you ...

-Thank you Jungle Trader! Obviously there is no escape and is so good thing!

-Benno!!! Thank you Bro'! Below new pics

Twin koru in pink ivory, finally finished

An other Hei Matau

Ebony Hei Tiki also finished (except cord work...)

Hei Tiki koru holder

still needs some finishing in the hollow.

Thank's for looking!

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

Awesome carves! I'm liking that Hei Tiki Koru holder.

L

Thank you Ray! This model will be more beautiful in a hunk of bone... :wink:

J.

B

Jerome my Friend, you are showing us youe Incredible carvings as if they were no big deal,, They are Way top shelf. That ebony tiki is looking so Comfortable and soft to wear, I could easily never take it off,,(24" cord please) and the pink ebony Koru is another perfect one. And behind the finished pieces are more incredible stuffs in the works.
HappyHappyHappy,

B

Hi bro',

I'm with Benzo, those pieces are top shelf even if those would look better around my neck !
Seems like you're a sensei carver too.

B.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 19, 2009 6:16 AM

Ditto. Gman wantz the Ebony hei tiki.......

Fine work. I'm digging those medium sized 3d dudes.

GET OUT!! Those are FANTASTIC! Inspiring.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Dec 19, 2009 9:44 AM

GROG like.

L

Hi fellow TC'ers!

BenZ like to wear it :o , Gman want... :o OK! OK! Don't push, don't fight, we'll find a good arrangement!!!
Eg one week each :lol:, or while Benz would when Gman goes hunting... :P We'll find! Well find!
Thank's all two for all the comp'! :D

Bennno! Glad you like!! Now you soon will be one around the neck ... :wink:

Surfin,' thank you for support but temperature is too low to "GET OUT!" :roll:

Laojia like GROG like. :D

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

S

Wow! the Hei Tiki's are out of this world!
Very nice touch.

A
AKUAE posted on Tue, Dec 29, 2009 1:56 AM

Bonjour Jerome,
love the black koru - amazing work
hope to get one like this one day ....
bye
Akuae

C

Beautiful work, I love that you have your own style, and who much you know about beautiful woods and how to work them to look spectacular, congrats, keep up the great work. hope you and your family have a great new year!

L

Last post for 2009!

Seeksurf, thank's the comp' ! Very appreciate! What's news at the Tiki bog?

Hallo Alex! Merci pour le compliment! There was still one black Koru in stock and more to come... In 2010!

Clarita!! Thank you girl, Your compliments are always right in the heart!

New toys for a new year:

I would also like to thank and salute all the wonderful artists I met here for almost a year (the list is too long to do ...). Thank you for your support, your encouragement, your kindness and advice and all other tricks I had collected across this forum.

I wish you all a Happy New Year 2010! :D :D :D

Jérôme.

[ Edited by: laojia 2009-12-31 02:07 ]

B

Thanks, Jerome, for the great New Year Wishes and the same to you too!
Excellent addition to your carving tools and inlay material, can't go wrong with either.
Your year's worth of carvings has really been superior and it has been fun watching your skills improve thanks for sharing all that you do with us here on TC.
HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY

L

ghost post...

[ Edited by: laojia 2010-01-18 05:18 ]

L

First post for 2010 and some new pieces!

Hey sensei carver! Thank's for the kinds words but where are you last few days? Does the cold spell is over in Florida?

Back on the work shop:

First a hei tiki who had already a brother of the same wood.

Then an ebony Manaia has two head and inlaid with mother of pearl pink.

back

So this koropepe, I like so ...

And finally a pink ivory hei tiki, work in progress for yet few hours...

More to come!Thank's for looking!

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

B

Hey dude, excellent start for 2010. I love them all.

B.

L

Many thank's Ben! :D
Now I wait yours! :o

J.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 695 replies