Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

small wood carving from France. Short update last page

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 695 replies

Really nice start to 2010! I like that little koropepe, really cool.

Love the little koropepe! :)

L

Hello everybody! A friday update from France!

Thank you for reply and kind words Ray and Andy! I appreciate your support!

This week I made some toggles to finish all these hei tiki and other Matau piling up in the drawer:

Furthermore it has been necessary that I attack the cord work. After some tests during the holidays and good advice, especially for raw material (thank's BenZ!), this is what it gives with the koropepe:

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

B

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Those toggles are really great, all kind of shapes and colors and grain... I love them !

Beautiful work on the lashing, how many strands ? Looks like 3 but knowing you I'd say !

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Mahalo bro',

B.

Yeah, your cords are looking fantastic! So much better than my first ones. That Ebony is beautiful. Excellent work!

Love the carving and the cords.

B

Man Jerome, I swear you've been carving and brsaiding for years,, Excellent stuff. your cords are super as are your carvings, I can see you might be a perfectionist, you need help.. :o

L

Hi TC'ers fellows!

Bennno! You know there one for you! And it's weaving 4 strands, obviously! Thank you and check the mailbox...

Surfin'! Better than your first ones? Because I have not posted my first ones... Thank's for comment!

Kon-Hemsby, thank's for kind word and we will have the opportunity to talk again. Thank's for the interest to my work.

BenZ! Wow! Thank's for the comp'! If my carving and the cord work seems so good, it is also thanks to tips and other shared work here. Thank's again to you and everybody, and glad you're back.

Here a piece which has been for some time on the bench. An Overlap pendant in pink ivory

Some work in progress shot:

First, work the inside...

...outside

with a lost koru, lot of fun to carve, but lot of pain to sand the inside...

... polishing

side view

the back

other view

front view

And finally lashing

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

F

Very nice Jerome, must have been a pain to sand.
Regards
Flynny

B

Beautifully done Jerome and I see the sanding pains you went through to get that great finish. You just need some different sanding implements that's all,and your sanding life would be much sweeter!! :o

B

Mailbox ? I love surprises !

That overlap's killing me. And I know how high is the density of the pink ivory.
A work of master, a masterpiece.
Hat's off, Sir

Benjamin

L
laojia posted on Sat, Feb 6, 2010 8:01 AM

next page...

[ Edited by: laojia 2010-02-06 08:02 ]

L
laojia posted on Sat, Feb 6, 2010 8:01 AM

Hello Tc'ers! Update of the week with a Buzzy touch introductory:

Winter sunset between low mounts of the far east of France.

not the same temperature as SoCal...

Thank's for reply Flynny, I appreciate the support for my sanding run. :wink:

BenZ! Thank's for kind word but if sanding life is to sweeter, sanding will not be effective... :lol: :P
In any case, when I've need other sanding implements I built one:

with pieces of sheet aluminum or an old saw blades.

Benjamin, thank's for the hat's but I promise that I have not done this to kill you... :roll: Thank's again bro'!

These last days not much carving, but a lot of braiding... Must say I was a little late ...

even found how strapping toki (seeking long!) On this nice piece of Mopane sent by a carver brother...

It's not perfect yet, especially at back, but I think I understood.

Thank's for looking!

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

Nice photos! Buried under snow...looks familiar.
Those braids look REALLY good. I still haven't tried any of those tougher ones. Fantastic stuff to look at!

H

Jerome your braiding skills are amazing, and your pieces look smooth and nice and your picture with all the houses buried in the snow looks beautiful.

T

Nice work on that braiding. Who sees the back anyways? I need to lock myself in a room and learn that one of these days. That's too much snow in that photograph.

B

Agree with that ango guy,,,Way TOO much snow for one photo, just looking at it might send me into another downward spiral for another month. Just when I was getting back to normal too!
Yes, Beautiful chords, or were those belonging to Beethoven and yours the cords? :P still looks like you could 'Polish" the screwdriver shafts a bit to tighten up the braids and smoothe them out a bit, but hey I'm no expert having just begun to learn about cording myself. So just carry on .....

C

That's not perfect? it looks very neat to me.. oh and thanks for the snow pic, here is hot as hell..

L

Hello TC fellow!

Thank's for looking everybody. Here it almost seems that spring will soon be here, I'll soon be back at the workshop! In the meantime I have some cord work late...

Surfin'! That's the right term "buried on the snow". A pleasure for the kids and shovel work for the dad!
Thank you for the comp'!

Hiltiki, thank's for comment! Braiding cord is a quiet hobby evening when the weather is not enough good to go in the workshop...

Mango! "Who sees the back anyways?": me and it's already too crowded...
Thank's for reply and see what you have already done, so on the whale's tail for example, i'm sure you'll have no problem with this kind of lashing.

BenZ, too much snow but really good day to play with the kids even if the car don't like snowy mountain road... Thank's for the comp' for the chord/cord work. And thank you very much for the tip of the screwdriver that I use from the beginning, really very useful for finishing. Take care of you sensei carver!

Clarita, never perfect but it's good like that ... thank's for stopping here!

Just one pics for this week:

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

A
amate posted on Tue, Feb 23, 2010 4:00 PM

That has got to be one of the coolest Moai I have seen. I LOVE IT!

That IS cool! I like the slump in the body. Is that Mahogony wood?

B

AGREE, This is One COOL Moai and Not just because he's from the cold weather country. Your chords probably sound better than your cords but your cords Look WAY Better!
Nice braids j?r?m?

A
AKUAE posted on Sat, Feb 27, 2010 1:56 AM

yesssssssss my friend the MOAI finished looks absolut great
love it love it
you've found the album you're looking for ??? :)

keep up the amazing work my friend
Paris will come very sooooooon ...........
see ya

ps
perhaps back in Metz week 10 !!! but not sure

great week end
Akuae

V

I love that Moai too.
Oh, and when you get some time, you should braid my beard !

B

On 2010-02-27 07:00, virani wrote:
Oh, and when you get some time, you should braid my beard !

I thought it was a family website :lol:

Wonderful moai indeed !

Bennno.

That is just amazing cord work! Looks perfect to me too. Where did you learn to do cord work like that? Great stuff.

L
laojia posted on Fri, Mar 5, 2010 8:29 AM

Thank's a lot everybody for stopping here and sorry for late reply but I can't make a post with no one new picture...

Amate, the coolest Moai say "thank you and good bye". It currently flies to its new owner.

Surfin'Dave, thank you! Is in Walnut! More pics one next time!

BenZart, Cool because I carve sometimes while listening cool jazz 8) ... Thank's for support, comment and kind word. Cheers sensei carver!

Alex, thank you! Come whenever you want, listen to old records of German punk rock... :D

Virani! Yes I can braiding your beard! :lol: Always find new real challenge... Thank's for comment!

Bennno!!! The family will be soon gathered! :wink:

Tikilizard, thank you so much for for the comp'.I learned to work braided cord through the post on Tiki Central and also the advice of BenZart and lots of patience and a little headache at first. Now the action is almost automatic and that's fine.

A little sun, even if it's still cold, a little storage in the workshop, borrowed a chainsaw at work: the weekend will be fun!

This one picking this morning on the roadside. There were other larger, much too heavy for me alone. Still Green, will be for later.

This one, basswood... :roll: Already a few months of drying. ready for tomorrow.

Thank's for looking!

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

B

WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
You've no excuse not to update your thread tomorrow, the rendez-vous is taken :wink:

Happy happy happy.

Bennno

[ Edited by: benella 2010-03-05 11:22 ]

S

Ya! nothing like free!

What a beauty! Nice pickin'!!
Oh, the possibilities!

L
laojia posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2010 9:17 PM

Thank you all Benno, seek and surfin' and sorry for no update... As soon as I have some time I post pictures of the last pieces on the workbench!

Just one shot with my first Hei Tiki carved in Wengé more than one year ago and the last in pink ivory.

Have a nice day!

J.

B

Well Well Well Look at what a Year has done to your skill set:

Jerome we have been watching you grow as a carver and here is proof it has not been in vain. While the older one is excellent the new one is More perfect, cleaner, fuller and overall much tighter in the detail. can't wait to se what the Next year brings so Hurry it up Will'Ya?
Anticipating great things from those two GIAAAAAAANT Logs :P :o :D :roll: :evil:

B

1 year between the 2 Hei Tiki :o :o :o

I found this pix:

I don't know why but I'm sure it's your work :wink: :P

Mahalo Master L.

Bennno

S

Some great looking eye candy there!

L

Hey sensei carver! Sure there's been progress in my work, how could it be otherwise when I follow all the talented carvers around here... I am conscious of having much to do and understand in this art of discipline. Thank's for support one more time BenZ.

Bennno! :evil: Ha! :x Insider Trading! :evil: Best pics to follow below... :P :P :P

Like candy, but a little hard on the tooth... Thank you Seeksurf!

Here are the new stuff...

Hybrid Hei matau/tiki

Carved in grenadill

Other picture with the shadow...

The last in pink ivory with the lashing...

A whale tail pendant, carved in mopane...

And finally some details pics and close up for the walnut moai pendant:

back

It's the gifts for wedding anniversary of Kon-Hemsby for his wife, therefore I've carved a tiny heart between his hands...

Finally in the gift box with cord braided and toggles

HAPPY WEDDING ANNIVERSARY SIMON & NINA!

Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

B

Love the New stuff Grasshopper,and I'm Really Happy to see you carving SO Many pieces, Your "Hybrid Hei matau/tiki" certainly looks like he/they are having fun talking laughing at something,

at Least he/they will never be lonely.

Absolutely LOVE the Moai with a heart,,,,Jerome, you must be the sweetest guy around and I'll bet all the girls fought over you. Love your eye for detail, what better Wedding git than to offer ones heart.

Now I just can't Wait to see whats next!?

E

Benz is right! We are waiting for the rest! What a wonderful creativity you have! It's a pleasure to look at your creatures coming to the world ! So go ahead, please...
I love the way you use wood instead of bone or stone for many figures :)
ciao from Sicily Isl.
Ellly

C

Gorgeous new ones, great choice of woods, beautiful designs, you put so much care on each one, and that anniversary gift is perfect, very lucky couple. keep up the great work!

K

Really nice work... the Moai is my favorite. That's perty wood.

B

Sorry Bro' but those guys are totally awesome and it would be a crime not to share it on TC :wink:

Oh MAN! Looking at your stuff is like going to the candy store!! Sweet stuff!
That storage box is way cool too. Great stuff, you are soaring with your skillz!!!

L

Hello happy TC'ers ! Thank you all for the comp'... And welcome to the Spring!

BenZ, thank you for the kind word! I appreciate your support sensei carver. What's next?
See below...

Elly, glad you read, how are your little stones from Sicily? thank you for all these compliments, now I am waiting an update from you!

Clarita, thank you so much!

kahaka, thank you too!

Bennno! Still ahead of an update .... Where does the flight? See you later Bro'

Surfin'! "is like going to the candy store!" But it don't make you fat... Thank you!

For the arrival of spring, one non-tiki piece that I am giving this afternoon to a lover for his bride.

He has seen the model in a movie with Edward Norton and asked if I could do the same. Not really really the same in fact, I'm not a magician...

After putting off the headache with the system of articulation

Also an headache and two long evening for the inlay

Sanding and polishing

With the gift box, ash tree with black stain

And finally with the gold ware

It can be wearing like this...

...or like this

Thank's for looking!

Have a nice weekend!

Jérôme.

W

A jeweler too ?
Did you make all those parts & pieces ?
How many did you make be for you got it all right ?
Will

B

Yes WOW!! Excellent piece for the mind and the heart and the soul. Very well done!

B

Yes WOW!! Excellent piece for the mind and the heart and the soul. Very well done!

On 2010-03-20 06:59, laojia wrote:
After putting off the headache with the system of articulation

Also an headache and two long evening for the inlay

Sanding and polishing

With the gift box, ash tree with black stain

And finally with the gold ware

It can be wearing like this...

...or like this

So very cool! Both the pendant AND the gift box!

Awesome job! Is that wood Purpleheart?

E2

toujour au top !!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 695 replies