Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

small wood carving from France. Short update last page

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 695 replies

B

Thanks for the Update Jérôme, they are both Beautifully finished pieces and I can tell you LOVE Sanding, especially those Exotic Hard woods, Fun hey? The Koru is just plain Lovely , I Love the simpleness of the graceful curves and the complexity of the same curves, Great.
Your "Twin side-hanger Hei Tiki who admires the sunset" is really Excellent and there's not much I could criticize on this unless I was going to really get picky then I might look at it under a magnifying glass and clean up some of the detail lines which are very difficult to see and to get to, so no big deal. The Best way to make those guys look better would be to hang them around my neck! (NO, Wait! That would only make ME look better, so Still a good idea! :D )

Thanks Big time for posting the Museum photos, I'm sure you could write a Whole thread on that Museum and the art there!

S

Yes, thank you for the great pic's!

Your Hei Tiki are fab, nice shape and detail.

laojia,
thank you for remembering. i would be honored to own and wear that beautiful piece. let me know what i have to do.

thanks
bd

Hey laojia:

thanks for the pictures of the Marq exhibit.

Would you happen to have any pictures of the designs back there on the wall and on the display cases throughout?

Your tikis look nice.

I hate sanding.
Buzzy Out!

L

Well, I'm late to reply...

Lake: thank's for the compliments, I really appreciate. For the short story: this War club, call "U'u", sleep since 150 years in the cellars of the museum (scandalous!),is the first time it is exposed. Now it is out of the shadows I hope that he travel to other museums, why not that of milwaukee...

BenZ: full thank's!!! I'm sure what your eagle eye have find not less six or seven defects and mistakes only by looking the pictures!..Not less, because I've a list with ten or twelve... I can see the back!! :P Otherwise i'm ready to make you look better :D ...

Seek: Many thank! How is the update of the Quileute totem?

Big Daddy: I'll send a MP this week...

Buzzy:

On 2009-03-13 23:50, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

I hate sanding.

Nobody "love" sanding, but for you ,it's clear you hate... :lol:
Truce joke, I have no pictures of the motif ipu on the wall, but I can try to photograph the documentation that I took at the museum, which included almost all the drawings.
Following on your thread ,maybe this week.

A friend of Paris has just send me a photo of a tiki that I offered him in 2004 or 2005:

thank's for reading/looking.
Have a good night!

Jérôme.

L

These last days, I've made a study model of moai in a 4 inch piece of Ash. I don't insist on the details, just for get used to the form:

chest may be too far forward

I will detail when to attack the big piece (surely this summer), one in "jeaumont" stone and one in apple tree:

Comments and advises (many advises) are welcome!

Have a nice day
J.

B

NICE old carving and the Moai Study is great too just like he is. Big Tease with that Stone and Applewood, now we'll Have to be coming back.
(I really do need something to make me look better!):lol :P :o

L

Thank's for kind word BenZ! For the "big tease" I'll try to be at the height...But I'm not hurry because time does not respect what he is made without him...
Also I can see for your problem look ... :roll:

B

Ash wood has a very nice grain, I just saw it is Frene in french and I'm happy becaue I got a piece of ash right here !

Your moai is really cool and I can't wait to see those logs turning to moais.
My only advice would be: get a chainsaw !

Nice work,

Benjamin.

L

you speak right, Benjamin, ash tree as fine grain, but pay attention to the sense of the fibers, it can be treacherous...Thank's for comment, as I said above I'm not hurry, my customer (a friend in fact) who have give the log already waiting for three years :o ...
Another friend lend me a chainsaw, just to cut an Accacias who invaded the garden, for carving I prefer axes , adze and saw...let me but I may be tempted ..

restored adze of my gran pa (ash tree handle...) :

Good night!
J.

B

Just watch your shins with that beautiful adz, there have been Many leg injuries with those!

JT

Nice carves, laojia.
Thank you for posting the pic's at the museum.
-Johnny.

B

Hey dude,

This adze looks pretty cool. Any update? :wink:

L

Thank's for reply BenZ, Johnny and Benjamin :D

I share with you my work of the week (small week):

I've yet to do on this

Thank's for looking, have a nice day!

Jérôme.

B

Looks like a few Nice pieces you've set out to do there. What are the woods?

L

Thank's for words BenZ,
twin koru was made in wengé, I still have some pieces... "snake-biting-its-tail" is in pink ivory, later they will be separated. For now they are more useful attached, I hold the first to carve the second...

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Mar 27, 2009 7:12 AM

Holy Rare Wood, Jérôme, that Pink Ivory is amazing! Really beautiful carving going on here! Could you imagine doing a large tiki out of that stuff??? (If it wasn't one of the rarest woods on Earth, next to Snakewood, that is... about the only way of getting the pink stuff in logs is if an elephant accidentally knocks a tree over in Africa, no kidding.)

I say this gent is well on his way to a Three Pecker Award, which here on TC is a good thing. Is that Un Prix Royale de Trois Saucisse en Francaise?

B

Hi Jérôme,

Keeping children and carving stuff, that's my menu for Wednesdays ! :lol: And I love it !

Your work's cooler piece after piece, bro'. Those koru are really cool and the twin snakes are top shelf.
You've to tell me where you get this pink ivory, I swear I won't tell our secret :lol:

Good week-end,

Benjamin.

Some cool looking pieces there!
i'd like to see what comes of that red one there :)

L

Cammo: I don't could imagine the price'wood for a large tiki in pink ivory!!! :x Anyway, even isn't the rarest wood (scarcity organized by the merchants for get up the price...) the pink ivory tree is so small... otherwise I never heard to talk for a "prix de trois saucisses" in this country :o Or so I did not understand everything...

Benjamin: Thank's for kind word...I'm ready to give the secret of my source for fine wood if you send me your last creation :D ...................................................
No shit, this is: http://www.dick.biz/
You can order a free catalogue (very nice) here: http://www.dick.biz/dick/page/18_00_00_00_kataloge/detail.jsf
I will surely make an order within a few weeks, if you are interesting MP me, we arrange for shipping.

Tikiduddy: Thank's for comment's, I hope to post some following pics next week...

Have a good night
Jérôme.

L
laojia posted on Thu, Apr 2, 2009 9:20 PM

Update of the friday morning!

Yesterday a shiny rising sun lights my little hall of fame:

"snake-biting-its-tail" work in progress

and finished with necklace, for my daughter

It's crazy as time have past on this piece...I do not see the end!

The other, more symmetrical with a different mode of necklace

even a small thing, just for fun...Soon I'll have glasses! Only carve with knive and riffler except eye drilling, pity that the jaw is a little short

Thank's for looking everyone.
Have a nice day!

Jérôme.

BD

DAMN!!! jerome!!! how small are you trying to go? they look great. the snake is awesome but the skull!! right on!

bd

B

WOW :o WOW :o WOW

What's the next step ? Rice carving ? :lol:
This skull is a perfect toggle for the snake pendant that is perfect too !

Bravo,

Benjamin.

S

Very cool! I like your work.

B

Laojia, All those guys LooK Dynamite all standing around together like that, Excellent stuff

Of course we should Get a 50% discount on the Snake eating it's tail since by the time we get it half the tail will be gone and we should only have to pay half shipping too if half the dealie is gone hey?

Sounds right to me there Lad! :P :o :D

myspace

Just to ask a question first, where are those Japanese Carving Knives available from, somewhere n line? They really REALLY Lookgood.
Also if you are worried about the jaw being too short n that last little neat skull you could make the skull part smaller, raising yhe cheeks, narrowing the head and that would make the jaw much larger. You wouldn't have to remove any meat from the top of the skull(meat?lol). Personally It looks great to me. OR another thing you cold do would be to add some bone dentures, like real teeth! But again I love it the way it is.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-04-04 09:23 ]

L
laojia posted on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 2:39 PM

Thank's everyone for reply and kind words!

Big Daddy: I knew you liked the skulls!!!

Benella:

What's the next step ? Rice carving ?

• Only if I find grain rice bigger than my thumb!! :lol:

Seeksurf: big thank's, and the risk of repeating myself: what's the course of the quileute pole?

BenZ:

Of course we should Get a 50% discount on the Snake eating it's tail since by the time we get it half the tail will be gone and we should only have to pay half shipping too if half the dealie is gone hey?

• Pleased to see that the surgery you do not remove the sense of business nor of humor!!!! :D
    I have noted your advice to the skull, on this one here I was a little pressed.
    Otherwise, I've find my carving knife by Dick.biz, fine woodworking tool and materials and seeking early here:

http://thejapanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&mimid=TFRZ7HHA73W7QS93TODB010GIPPV3T2H&dept_id=13648
More expensive than Europe, certainly less shipping for US...
Or search with "Hiro"

Have a good night!

Jérôme.

S

Seeksurf: big thanks, and the risk of repeating myself: what's the course of the quileute pole?

If you are asking how it is going? Maybe over half done? or
the location of its permanent home that would be at the Tiki Bog.

Not sure what course means?

B

Sorry, but I think it could be friday today ? :wink: :lol:

Benjamin.

L

FRIDAY UPDATE!!!! (A week later...)

First, a little guy and a skull. Walnut oiled:

I'm not very satisfied of he's expression. His face like a baby who has just woken up! I would have to rework it a bit. Other view for the scale (metric):

Same day I've sharpening and honig my old hatchet, forecast of log carve soon

Follow, some cut off of pink ivory to occupy my hands:

Comments and advises are welcome!
Have a nice day.

Jérôme..

[ Edited by: laojia 2009-04-17 08:43 ]

The little lono is very cool! I guess they have to grow
those headdresses over time like a tusk or horn?

TB

j'espère que vous n'avez pas mal pris mon message...
si c'est le cas... désolée.
Baï

[ Edited by: Tiki Baï 2009-04-19 01:03 ]

BD

hahaha!! you are so right about the face looking like a baby just waking up. when my daughter was little that's the face she would amke. sweet little skull next to the lono. maybe he's going to cry because his headdress is soo small. headdress envy? very nice work as usual jerome. keep up the great work.

bd

B

Hi Laojia,

Real nice new pieces.
The baby Lono looks very neat.
Can't wait for the Hei Matau.

Benjamin.

L

Thank's for reply!

Seek-man-who-carve-nice-pole-surf: talk you about the horn of the devil? :o Thank for kind word...

Tikibaï: Je parler aussi le french trés bien! But sorry, carrots were eaten!

Big Daddy: I promise, for the next Lono I try to grow up the hairdress

Benella: thank's for comment, but for the hei matau you should waiting, because my concern of the moment is here:

I must again drawing...

Good night!

Jérôme.

You have carving fever. Good to see your work.

BD

nice to see you getting after that piece of wood. like i said before, pretty ambitious, but i know you can pull it off. can't wait to see it.

bd

S

Looks like a great start on a great subject.
Bring that sucker out!

TB

j'espère que vous n'avez pas mal pris mon message...
si c'est le cas.. désolée.
Baï

B

Laojia, I Love your small guy (5cm?)though I know you can do more crisp detail. The new Kava Kava guy looks to be an Excellent piece so far and you haven't made the cuts yet, Can't wait for that one. Of course the Pink Ivory cut-outs I Know will be Beauties too! Wow, Showing us So many pieces and giving us SO Much to look forward to, I don't know if I can Stand it!
:o :P

L

Thank you all for the encouragement :) but we must wait a bit ... I will not spoil because of hurry work. I must yet drawing to understand this subject.

Thank's for looking! Good night (with kavakava dream! (~~) ).

Jérôme.

Some stuff for trade here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31985&forum=12&start=30&34

L
laojia posted on Fri, May 1, 2009 3:26 AM

1st May update!

Some flowers for this International Workers'Day, and some cut for a moai kavakava

first cut

re-draw on the other side

Second cut and hole between arm and body

After some chiseling to round his body

Now I must remove his pilot's helmet and his motorcycle boots...

What's that curious beast who stroll here?

front
back
It's awfull!! the picture shows every mistakes and bad cracks...

Thanx for looking!

Have a nice 1st may with your friends , family, carving tools or other...

Jérôme.

laojia.......the wood you chose is going to look great when its done and stained. i've always liked that sculpture. looks like your off to a great start already. post a lot of pics please!!!

You're on FIRE!! Great carves going there. And I have been waiting for the right piece of wood, to do one of those Easter Island figurines as well.(forgot the name of it, I'm at work, don't have a book to go look it up quick!)

B

WOW, J.,

Amazing what you did with this beautiful wood that I know you will not stain :lol:
Perfect work.
Love the beast too, how did you drill the holes for the paua ?

B.

What reference book are you using? What a great start and sequence shots. Looks like hard to carve walnut. can't wait to see the progress on this very detailed guy. Keep up the great work and happy carving.

S

Looking Great! and what fine looking hunk of wood.

L
laojia posted on Thu, May 7, 2009 5:38 AM

Thank's for the comps dear TC'ers!

CChimp:I appreciate your compliments and sorry to put no more pics but they are faster than wood carving.

Surfintiki: You're on fire too! The moai kavakava take some delay, I've full work this week and I prepare an other piece for the hewey's swap, dead line end of june!

Benella: Thank you, soon you will know all my secret techniques... :P

Tiki lizard: Thank's for reply, I've not full own book of reference but I live in a town where libraries are well supplied. Walnut is very easy to carve compare with pink ivory (density 990 kg/m3!)

Seeksurf: Thank's for the comp pole caver!

Last weekend I finally took the time to arrange the workshop, is the first time he arranged for over 2 years since we live here:

But this sort of thing never lasts...

Have a good day!

Jérôme.

Nice shop you have there.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 695 replies