Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

velvet paintings

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 460 replies

This lovely lady has been gracing our walls for a number of years now. My husband found her in the trash. He spoke with the man throwing her away and asked if he could buy her, to which the man replied "it's trash, you can just have it". My husband feeling it wouldn't be fair just to take her, gave the man $5.00.

"Kama" is part of the family. We tell her story often and have shared her with many. I just found this site today and thought a few of you might appreciate her as well.

We've seen many Tyree's and we believe Kama is among one of his best.

She's in great condition, complete with the original carved wood frame, signature, title and date.

Enjoy!
E

I'm enjoying! Thank you!!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 17, 2011 11:56 PM

Thank you for sharing. Great rescue from the trash.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Apr 18, 2011 6:32 AM

Trash!? HAhahahahaha - Thanks for sharing!

Wow, what an amazing painting! Way to save it from the trash!

This image reminds me so much of Ilona, this American Indian/German girl I knew in Munich in 1974...

Though several years younger than her, I met her in a club (while she was on LSD). Unfortunately I lived in Berlin at the time. I remember going to see the Marlon Brando "Bounty" with her (she was dressed at that point) and I remember all the turned heads. I felt like Fletcher Christian :)

Hello everyone! I'm a long time lurker, but, would like to start contributing and become a positive member of the community. I came across this, Bill Erwin, black velvet painting and wanted to share, and to get some thoughts because I don't know anything about it.

All I know about Bill Erwin is from what I've learned in the posts in this thread and a quick google search. I know that he was Leetag's protege and that's about it. If anybody has any info about this specific painting, that would be awesome, I couldn't find anything about it in my venture through google.

This is the first painting I've ever bought, so, any thoughts on the value would be appreciated, too. I kind of consider myself a picker, so, it's always cool to know what something is "worth". If you don't think it's anything special, please let me know that, too. I really just want to learn as much as I can.

I also got some other cool stuff today that I'll add to "Tiki Finds".

Thanks to everybody for making this such a fun and informational website, I thoroughly enjoy reading through the threads, checking out the pics, and learning more about everything tiki and Polynesian pop.

B

WhyVelvet- Nice Tyree! TRR- Bill Erwin did some nice stuff too. As far as value, that is hard to pin down. If there is a good combination of light/shadow/ composition, original frame, provenance, then it will fetch more. I have seen his stuff sell in the range of $150.00-850.00 depending on the combination above. If you like it then it is worth what you paid for it.

Here are a couple of velvets found earlier this year

Van Zandt

Frank Oda (Hale Pua)

I found this painting at an estate sale in Tiburon:

I can't quite read the signature (KIVE QA?):

it's somewhat reminiscent of this postcard:

-Trad'r Bill

[ Edited by: Trad'r Bill 2011-07-24 16:05 ]

Very cool Trader Bill!

Trad'r Bill,

Thanks for posting the velvet and the postcard, I have the same one (postcard that is). If you ever want to get rid of the velvet (sell or trade) let me know!

PTD

I picked this up a few months back. There is a signature but I cant make it out. I'll take a picture of it later and maybe someone can decipher it?

T

I've picked up a couple of velvets in the last two years.

signed Agulto same as sputnikmoss' back on page one. Because of the local bases I'm also guessing from the Philippines.

the quality of this painting is excellent, signed TT Guttan 71 possibly.

of course they both look much better without the cameras flash. I have my eye on a Bill Erwin Hawaiian Cowboy (I guess) painting but I need to talk it's owner down on the price (I'm cheap er I mean thrifty)

aloha, tikicoma

As I look through all the pages of Black Velvets I have to say the Artist Robb Hamel who was around for a couple of years and then faded off still seams to be the strongest by craft and design. Of course this is my own opinion and I respect LeeTag and other artist of the past,but the classic design still boarders on tacky even though it's considered classic. During Tiki Caliente 2's art show we had 3 original Robb Hamels and they all Sold. Great art,I wish he would do more.

This is the piece I own......architecture on black velvet has to be hard.

On 2011-08-02 20:51, Wildsville man wrote:
As I look through all the pages of Black Velvets I have to say the Artist Robb Hamel who was around for a couple of years and then faded off still seams to be the strongest by craft and design. Of course this is my own opinion and I respect LeeTag and other artist of the past,but the classic design still boarders on tacky even though it's considered classic. During Tiki Caliente 2's art show we had 3 original Robb Hamels and they all Sold. Great art,I wish he would do more.

This is the piece I own......architecture on black velvet has to be hard.

I really dig that picture! Even if it has an illuminated phallus on it :wink:

S

On 2010-07-20 16:03, JonPez wrote:
Scored this one at a garage sale this weekend...

JonPez
http://www.playgroundzero.net/
------_-

[ Edited by: JonPez 2010-07-24 02:52 ]

This painting was the inspiration for the cover of the Rolling Stones Tattoo you album cover !

T

Scored by first black velvet nude this weekend at a thrift shop in San Bernadino, CA. - $25.00
Velvet material mounted to wooden panel.
Artist: Roblin

Really nice, TikiG!

Posted this under the Tiki Finds thread as well. Found this, I love the brooding colors, it's got a very smugglers/pirates feel to it, very large 4' x 2', great original frame too. $15.00

On 2011-08-20 18:56, dewey-surf wrote:
Posted this under the Tiki Finds thread as well. Found this, I love the brooding colors, it's got a very smugglers/pirates feel to it, very large 4' x 2', great original frame too. $15.00

I haven't seen one of those in years! My dad had a set of them. the large one you have, and then there were two smaller paintings featuring slightly different versions of the ships that were 2' x 2'. My mom was storing them in the garage when it was broken into and cleaned out. Never thought I'd see one again, very cool!

These are two Hawaiiana Black Velvets from the mid to late '60s. Both were purchased in Honolulu. Both are for sale! Please contact me if interested!

1. Wet Shirt - Bill Erwin
  2. Nude - Blake Tyrel

Sorry, both paintings have sold!

[ Edited by: eransom56 2011-09-08 18:17 ]

As is above, so is below...

After a week and a few days, I was finally able to arrange a time to meet up with the seller and purchase this Bill Erwin velvet painting. I was just shy of owning both of the paintings, a good friend and velvet collector managed to score the other one which is called "Lote" and was painted in 1969.

I am not sure if the Erwin is titled, the back of the painting has a paper covering on the frame.

A little history about both paintings.

The last owner was Bob Shaw. These paintings were purchased by his father, Wally Shaw at a gallery in Waikiki. The gallery was located in the International Market Place. Bob seems to remember the gallery being located on the left side of the entrance of the International Marketplace; does not remember the name though.

Bob Shaw lived in Hawaii in 1957 when he was three months old and again in the late 1960's. The box that the painting came in had an address on Kalakaua with the Shaw name on it. Bob told me his father met one of the artists at the gallery at the time he purchased the paintings, again he could not remember which artist it was. Bob is going to send me more information and I will update this post when he does.

Happy to own my second Bill Erwin velvet.

Oh yeah. Thanks to those who mentioned to Bob he was selling them too cheap.

Later,

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2011-09-16 14:05 ]

I had the unique pleasure of being contacted by Gary Erwin, great-nephew of velvet artist Bill Erwin.

Gary shared the following information with me:

"Bill was my Grandfathers brother. Bill and his parents and family moved often from Oklahoma, Texas, California and Oregon. Bill was a sign painter in California and moved to Hawaii. Bill was alive in Hawaii in the 1960’s.

My father was given two paintings and my Grandfather had one.

Bill was a sign painter in the Sacramento and the San Francisco area prior to moving to Hawaii. I have a self portrait of Bill and a floral painting (not on velvet) as well my father has a young male Polynesian drinking from a coconut, and a Wahine portrait. The drinking painting is superb!

Bill was Edgar Leeteg’s protégé and did study with him. You can find examples where both painters used the same subject.

Bill also painted horses on velvet for rich horse owners. Bill was portrayed as the bohemian in the family".

I have asked if Gary Erwin could share photos of the paintings he owns with us. Gary says he will send me some pictures at some point and when he does, I will post them here.

Later,

PTD

PTD - thanks for sharing that info. Very interesting.

This film was referenced in Black Velvet Masterpieces:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nzonscreen.com%2Ftitle%2Fvelvet-dreams-1997&ei=LfiATqqWG6zYiAKRsfCEDQ&usg=AFQjCNHFtSFYKTamlwZNskmsKmXHsWca9A

Primarily about Charles McPhee, but a good history of Leeteg, some Tyree and other velvet artists. About 6 parts to the film.

Later,

PTD

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2011 2:40 AM

On 2011-09-26 16:08, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
This film was referenced in Black Velvet Masterpieces:

Also referenced in this very thread, about 9 pages and 2 years ago :wink:

I haven't seen anything decent turn up in NZ for some time - the last McPhee that came up was a clown painting - but here's another record cover using the Kase Jackson wahine. Same label as the Pepe & the Rarotongans album (Salem records, based in Wellington), but this one is a 7" EP:

The artist's name should actually be Bill Wolfgramm.

Well,I do not know if this qualifies as black velvet art,if not I apologize
for it's placment here;
black velvet,with inlaid stained wood veneers.
I have no other info on these,
ANYONE know anything about them?

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2011-09-30 07:35 ]

Just found this beauty today. Is she South American, or is this early European influence on Pacific Islander dress? I have no clue, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

She isn't signed on the front.

The frame is undamaged, so I don't want to go busting through the paper backing to check the other side.

During last year's crawl I found a velvet nude.

Found another one yesterday, again before the first crawl stop on Sunday.

My second velvet painting by Yonaha dated 1971.

Later,

PTD

Nice velvet PTD! The work is nice. Some how with a 13 yr old, I Don't think the wife would let me put it over our bar. :(

T

My new velvets over in the Leeteg thread also.

Tikisgrl,

Don't know about the Leeteg's value, but glad to see you back.

DC

The great and mighty Tikisgirl!!!!

O

Speaking of J. Craig Hille III . . . there are a couple of his velvets up on ebay. Man, he's good. I hadn't heard about him before but looking at the back label he definitely was going after the Leeteg Market. The font is even like the one used on Leeteg's own back label. Does anyone else have his paintings?
http://www.trocadero.com/stores/coinsandantiques/items/1057220/item1057220.html

eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-painting-black-velvet-frame-/150674839773?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item2314eb98dd#ht_500wt_1202
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-painting-black-velvet-frame-/150674839777?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item2314eb98e1#ht_500wt_1202

Okolehao...that sailor has been on Ebay for a long time. I really like his style and light & dark contrast. Tikisgrl...value is always difficult. Any painting of a male subject will not fetch as much as a female (especially topless or nude and more with flower or lei). Someone may correct me but I think the original Davis Gallery authorized copies were done in Japan. Look to see if it says Japan a little lower on the painting near the edge of the frame. I believe that later copies not marked Japan were done in the Philippines. Hina Rapa always seems to get the most money whether original or not.

Hello All,
I have an early holiday present for all of you Bill Erwin collectors.
Attached is a scan of a promo brochure that was stuffed away at my Grandfathers (Bill’s brother). This piece will give you a short background on Bill as well it shows off some of his other velvet works.
I’d print a copy of it soon and stash it away.
Happy Holidays and Aloah!
Gary Erwin

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Rotated images. - 2012-01-28 06:23 ]

Thanks for sharing that info on Bill, Gary!

Here's a Cecilia Rodriguez I found today. I love the subject matter of the little girl being so innocently entertained by the bubble.

Hello fellow Tiki Central members--

This is my very first post on this forum, even though I've been a lurker for a few years now. I finally have something hopefully interesting to share--my latest find and my very first velvet painting (a lot of firsts in this post).

Here is a lovely island girl by artist Ben Alano and although I didn't pick it up for super cheap, I am thrilled with it and honored to have it on my wall.

Thanks for looking!

T

1st WELCOME to TC & congrats on the velvet!

Rarerly do you find vintage velvets with tikis actually in the scene or the main
subject matter ...this velvet depicts the Island of Refuge with seven tikis .
Deponce Hawaii is the artist

Aloha -Billy

I found my first velvet! And I really liked it right away, but unlike Billy's it had no tiki. So... I took advantage of the plain wide frame and attached a little shelf I made, placing a Coco Joe's into the piece. Not a bad look I think.

Not in my possession, yet, but it's safe in the hands of a family member. A Bill Erwin "Hina Rapa," that almost got thrown away twice. Apprently, it was from a bar around Honolulu area. The frame broke at some point, but it's still on the original wood backing.

Roots Rocka

B

Found in a local Goodwill store, a Joy Caros from her time in Hawaii in the 60s I do believe. There is no name or information on it that I can find. Picture is crappy as my camera is crappy. Any one know the name of this one?

G

I pretty sure that was is named AWESOME! I love it.

gabbahey

B

LOL!
No I don't think that is the name.

That is a copy of Leeteg's "Tahitian Chief" - The Blue Kahuna just found one that appears to be a Leeteg original: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42561&forum=5

Now THAT one is Awesome :) No offense, I like yours too

-Trad'r Bill

I picked this up a few years back. I just recently saw one like it on an art auction site listed as an original Leeteg. This one has "LEETEG" in black block letters in the lower left hand corner.
It's big! 39" tall x 26" wide.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 460 replies