Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What AreYou Drinking- Right Now?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 7,799 replies

I have to ask... does the book have a pousse-café recipe (the drinkability is usually questionable) in it or did they just like it for the cover?

H

On 2014-11-29 19:56, wizzard419 wrote:
I have to ask... does the book have a pousse-café recipe (the drinkability is usually questionable) in it or did they just like it for the cover?

I just looked at my copy. The revised TV's Bartender's Guide has recipes for six variations of the pousse-café. None read like anything I would be in a hurry to try, but if offered one, I wouldn't turn it down.

Z

K

Polished off my Koloa Dark with some simple rum and cokes. I'm rather sad about this and will probably not be purchasing Koloa Dark again - when I first tried the mini, I was in love and coudn't wait to get a 750 ml of it. But recently I mixed it in a few cocktails and it stood out too much and had perhaps too distinct of a flavor to it. I still love the distillery and will always pimp out Koloa Coconut though!

On 2014-11-29 20:31, Hakalugi wrote:

I just looked at my copy. The revised TV's Bartender's Guide has recipes for six variations of the pousse-café. None read like anything I would be in a hurry to try, but if offered one, I wouldn't turn it down.

Those are standard PC recs, not entirely sure what they are doing in a that book though...

You also should consider turning down the drink, the purpose is more for the bartender to show of than for the enjoyment of the customer as the ingredients are selected for the visual aspect rather than flavors.

Home made pumpkin pie washed down with Mexican coffee. Used Trader Vic’s Kona Coffee liqueur.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-12-01 21:40 ]

Friend brought a bottle of Abuelo 30 back from Panama so we started the night drinking some of that neat, which I'd highly recommend, then we tried out some cocktails we'd never had before off the Total Tiki app. Eastern Sour with Woodford Reserve. Felt the OJ dominated (recipe calls for 2.5 oz) so we topped em off with a little more bourbon and found a better balance. Then we had the Aku Aku Lapu which was decent enough but thinking I'd like to try a Chief Lapu Lapu before revisiting that one. Ended the night with Hart Of Darkness which we both felt was the nicest of the three mixed drinks.

Had two Old fashioned’s at Mr. Vee’s in La Mirada. It’s a restauant with an “old school” bar/lounge ( dark wood and leather booths). I think that the old fashions are up to John-O’s standards if I could be a little presumptuous. I overheard the barkeep talking mention Mai Tai’s so I asked him how he made them? His answer included pineapple juice, oj, and grenadine.I’ll stick to the old fashion’s. Btw, my wife had a lemon drop which she said was almost as good as the ones she’s had at the nearby Sharkbite bar.
Cheers

T

Went to the Cabana tonight had a 1944 Mai Tai a Corn & Oil and...

aloha, tikicoma

Been randomly going through the Total Tiki app and trying out things I have all the ingredients for and decided to give the Boo Loo a shot. I noticed mention in the "Spirituous Journey through Remixed" thread and on the Grogalizer that the recipe in the app is different from the one in the Grog Log/Remixed, namely an entire 1.5 oz of gold PR rum is left out, and one calls for 1 oz of honey and the other for honey mix. Unsurprisingly, I read some very varied opinions of the virtues of this drink. We decided to try it with Coruba, El Dorado and LH151, leaving out the gold Puerto Rican and used an ounce of warm liquefied honey rather than mix. The result wasn't a bad drink but definitely nothing special. I don't know that the additional rum would have enhanced the drink as the distinct rums I already had in there seemed to get lost in the shuffle. Has anyone had real success with this one? Is it something I should bother revising and revisiting or just move on?

K

I loved the Boo Loo (in a pineapple naturally). We made it as-is and I thought it was everything I like in a drink - strong, sweet, sour, well blended. We used Bacardi Gold and was glad to get rid of it as I don't particularly like that brand of gold rum.

A

On 2014-12-12 11:54, mikehooker wrote:
Boo Loo... Has anyone had real success with this one? Is it something I should bother revising and revisiting or just move on?

I passed on the Boo Loo after 3/4 tries, like you say mikehooker, it's ok but no great shakes.

If you are in the mood for a fruity drink along the same lines - try the Spindrift from Remixed, it's quite nice.

It's good to know other people are working their way through the Beachbum Berry reciepe back catalogue, tonight I've tried a few new ones from the old Tiki+ app:

• Hawaii Kai Treasure (very light but really nice flavours, will probably make again - girlfriend really liked it)

• Cuba Kula (strong rummy flavour, will probably make again & tweak)

• Jims Special (passionfruit, tequila & rum?! It ends up with an almost agricole aftertaste... ok but odd)

2 out of 3 ain't bad! :)

K

Had a bottle of Larency Bourbon to enjoy at our work's White Elephant until it got swapped for some socks, which I promptly swapped for 8 bottles of Charles Shaw wine upon my turn. Now enjoying some crappy but quick-buzzing Shiraz.

H

Lagavulin 12 yo, love it.

On 2014-12-03 21:29, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Had two Old fashioned’s at Mr. Vee’s in La Mirada. It’s a restauant with an “old school” bar/lounge ( dark wood and leather booths). I think that the old fashions are up to John-O’s standards if I could be a little presumptuous. I overheard the barkeep talking mention Mai Tai’s so I asked him how he made them? His answer included pineapple juice, oj, and grenadine.I’ll stick to the old fashion’s. Btw, my wife had a lemon drop which she said was almost as good as the ones she’s had at the nearby Sharkbite bar.
Cheers

It really is amazing how hard it is to get a good "Old Fashioned", David
such a simple cocktail, yet it really needs to be prepared properly

You would be surprised how many bartenders add 7up or soda water to it (ratio of 1/3 to one half of the cocktail, even)
I have sent back many of these abominations in a glass.

Kingston Negroni

On 2014-12-12 19:19, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2014-12-03 21:29, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Cheers

It really is amazing how hard it is to get a good "Old Fashioned", David
such a simple cocktail, yet it really needs to be prepared properly

You would be surprised how many bartenders add 7up or soda water to it (ratio of 1/3 to one half of the cocktail, even)
I have sent back many of these abominations in a glass.

I just had my in laws in town from Wisconsin. They kept saying that Manhattans were stronger than Old Fashioneds. This confused me because based on the recipes, Old Fashioneds should be the stronger drink. I showed them the recipes back to back, then I realized that their bartenders were hacking the recipe. They told me that the bartenders would add soda or 7up to the drink, sometimes even 50/50 or worse. I told them that I don't add water or soda to the ones I make, ever. Sad that bartenders could screw up this basic recipe.

And when a bartender/mixologist/hipster muddles the orange & cherry into the Old Fashioned
and now you have more pulp then a Mickey Spillane novel!

It's bitch slapping time!

Cheers fellers’.
For my nickel, Makers Mark, a little sugar and some bitters add up to perfection. I also prefer brown sugar to white but most bars don’t have it in my experience. garnish with a large chunk of ice.

On 2014-12-12 21:05, lunavideogames wrote:
I just had my in laws in town from Wisconsin. They kept saying that Manhattans were stronger than Old Fashioneds. This confused me because based on the recipes, Old Fashioneds should be the stronger drink. I showed them the recipes back to back, then I realized that their bartenders were hacking the recipe. They told me that the bartenders would add soda or 7up to the drink, sometimes even 50/50 or worse. I told them that I don't add water or soda to the ones I make, ever. Sad that bartenders could screw up this basic recipe.

They aren't screwing up the basic recipe, what your in-laws are describing is the Wisconsin Brandy Old Fashioned, a deliberate variation on the original, created to satisfy the tastes of the locals, just like a Hawaiian Mai Tai. I live in Wisconsin, and this is what you're going to get in every supper club and bar around the state if you order an Old Fashioned. It can be made sweet or sour to taste (I prefer the sour). Here's a recipe:

http://www.sweetphi.com/wisconsin-brandy-old-fashioned-sour/

The Wisconsin Old Fashioned, if made correctly, is a very good tipple in it's own right, and goes great with yer 4 basic Cheesehead food groups: deep-fried cheese curds, bratwurst, prime rib, and walleye, and is best enjoyed in one of the hundreds of dark, wood-paneled, family-owned supper clubs that dot the shores of our local lakes.

A

Interesting to see the Wisconsin Old Fashioned getting some mentions! The lemonade never sat right with me - when I first made Old Fashioneds I made them with everything (rum, brandy, bourbon, rye) before eventually settling on a few combos :)

Old friend came over, had a few drinks:

Cuba Kula Vs 1934 Zombie

Puka Punch Vs 2070 Swizzle

Gill Man Grog Vs Mai Kai Yeomans Grog

Clement VSOP Mai Tai Vs Saint James Rhum Vieux Mai Tai...

My friend has gone, I'm still nursing the last drink!

hic!

Hit Frankie's earlier today

Me- Zombie
Wahine- 3 Rum Scum

Then da lil lady hit a royal flush
:)

next was

...- and the spousal unit continued on with a 3 Rum Scum

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-12-14 08:04 ]

Saw this online

So...

Nice score on the video poker!

Just back from watching the boat parade at Bali Hai, so currently drinking water.

Had a Mai Tai, and then a Goof Punch since it had been a while - seemed much more pineappley than I remembered, but still tasty. Then a nice Diplomatico to finish things off.

Just made two Moonkist Coconuts to compare the recipe Mai Kai published in an issue of Esquire magazine from 1959 and the Hurricane Hayward tribute from a few years ago. Both were good but Hayward wins. Better balance and the coconut really shines as it should (the Mai Kai only called for 1/2 oz coconut milk vs Jim's 1.5 oz). We used Cayman Reef, a Barbados rum I don't remember acquiring (and know nothing about)and Flor de Cana. The Mai Kai recipe called for a third rum from the Virgin Islands (I used Angostura 5 year). It was a good drink but a little rummy for a medium strength drink. Very important was using canned coconut milk from Trader Joe's. I made Hayward's version once before using Silk coconut milk and it was not so good. These ingredients rate a solid 7, maybe even a 7.5 out of 10.

Anyone know anything about Cayman Reef and how it compares to Mount Gay, Doorly's or other Barbados rums?

On 2014-12-16 19:19, mikehooker wrote:
Just made two Moonkist Coconuts to compare the recipe Mai Kai published in an issue of Esquire magazine from 1959 and the Hurricane Hayward tribute from a few years ago. Both were good but Hayward wins. Better balance and the coconut really shines as it should (the Mai Kai only called for 1/2 oz coconut milk vs Jim's 1.5 oz). We used Cayman Reef, a Barbados rum I don't remember acquiring (and know nothing about)and Flor de Cana. The Mai Kai recipe called for a third rum from the Virgin Islands (I used Angostura 5 year). It was a good drink but a little rummy for a medium strength drink. Very important was using canned coconut milk from Trader Joe's. I made Hayward's version once before using Silk coconut milk and it was not so good. These ingredients rate a solid 7, maybe even a 7.5 out of 10.

Anyone know anything about Cayman Reef and how it compares to Mount Gay, Doorly's or other Barbados rums?

Mike , Mt Gay and Doorley’s are my fav Bajan rums. I had some Cayman in a Rum and Diet coke and I enjoyed it.Not a sipper imho but it’s an okay general purpose rum.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-12-16 22:31 ]

In a sturdy champagne flute;
1/2 oz brandy
1 oz Trader Vic’s Kona Coffee liqueur
fill with very hot strong coffee
Top with muddled cream, a Luxardo cherry and dribble a little maraschino liqueur over the cream and enjoy a cool winter night. Coming down in torrents here in La Mirada California.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-12-16 23:33 ]

I'm currently celebrating 'Havana Day' (my new let's-celebrate-someone-else's-holiday-with-drinking holiday) with a Cuban Style Daiquiri (Bacardi Heritage) and a non-Cuban Cuba Kula (Coruba, El Dorado 8, and Lemon Hart 151).

KrakenHunterSteve that is really insensitive of you..........not to offer a cocktail to us!

I'm sure I'm among the many dipping into their Havana Club stash tonight in celebration of the prospects of Cuban rums soon flowing more freely. I went with La Florida Daquiri Number 2, tweaked slightly to include both of my nearly exhausted Cuban rums ...

But I have a feeling that I may be restocking very soon.

(Also interesting to note that the anonymous Pyrat drink above is just a variation of La Florida (rum, lime, sugar, OJ, curacao).

And mahalo to Mike regarding the Moonkist Coconut recipe. It's indeed one of the best "medium" drinks.

K

Hosted a small party, and served up and consumed:

1. Royal Hawaiian Cocktail
  2. Three Dots and a Dash
  3. Max's Mistake
  4. Mai Tai

Ordered a red nosed zebra at Trader Sam’s.Not very good this year.Gonna have to make my own if I want a good one. Finished it up with a longboard beer.
Cheers

On 2014-12-18 23:29, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Ordered a red nosed zebra at Trader Sam’s.Not very good this year.Gonna have to make my own if I want a good one.

I thought so as well. Do you have the recipe?

K

On 2014-12-19 08:46, Loki-Tiki wrote:

Disney Parks Blog released them a few years ago. The Trader Sam's instagram also did so this year:
http://instagram.com/p/vhrRaYwgq3/?modal=true
http://instagram.com/p/v4KWxWwgn-/?modal=true

Has anyone had the Gorilla Nog that Sam's posted on Insta the other day?

On 2014-12-19 08:46, Loki-Tiki wrote:

On 2014-12-18 23:29, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Ordered a red nosed zebra at Trader Sam’s.Not very good this year.Gonna have to make my own if I want a good one.

Loki, heres’s the one I used the past few years.

Red Nosed Zebra Trader Sam's

Red-Nosed Zebra
 Makes 1 cocktail
1.5 ounces Bacardi 8 rum

1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice

1/2 ounce fresh lime juice

1 ounce agave nectar

1 ounce strawberry purée

Crushed ice, 3 cranberries, 2 mint sprigs, for garnish
Add all ingredients in a Boston Shaker (except garnish), fill half full with ice, and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
Strain into a margarita glass filled with ice. Garnish with a mound of crushed ice, cranberries, and mint sprigs to look like 2 green antlers, cranberries for eyes. I make my own strawberry puree. Wash and husk the berries, toss into blender-easy peasy. May be the same recipe KK posted the link to.
Cheers
Btw, I use Appleton and I serve the Zebras in a double old fashioned( double the recipe per drink)
.Edit- Ignore the #8232, I can’t figure out why they’re there???

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-12-19 23:13 ]

K

On 2014-12-19 12:44, mikehooker wrote:
Has anyone had the Gorilla Nog that Sam's posted on Insta the other day?

Clearly the favorite for me. Not very strong but subtly sweet that you can definitely tolerate. That one is an original to one of the bartender's there at Sam's.

Got a good deal on strawberries so it’s Red nosed Zebra’s tonight. Tomorrow night it’ll be Mele Kalicki mocha’s. Gettin in the spirit of the season
Cheers

Mele Kaliki-Mocha
 Makes 1 cocktail
2 ounces Kahlúa

1 ounce Coco Reál
1 ounce Trader Tiki Orgeat

4 ounces fresh coffee

Whipped cream,
rosemary sprig, for garnish
Add all ingredients in a Boston Shaker (except garnish), fill half full with ice, and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
Strain into a tall bamboo glass filled with ice. Garnish with whipped cream and a fresh rosemary sprig.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-12-21 18:53 ]

some yuletide nog: Publix eggnog, brandy, rye whiskey, dark rum, and a dusting of ground nutmeg...

Yesterday:

Banaquiri from page 6 of "Introducing Original Polynesian Tropical Bar Recipes" by Dick Moanao and Wally Turnbow.

Luckly, I had purchased some new bananas and my wife and kids (who love 'em) went for the new ones, leaving me one to get "banana bread ripe". Recipe called for a third banana per serving, and I was making two....I upped the banana to half a banana per serving to use it up. Also, I put the liquids and banana slices in first and blended for a bit before I added the crushed ice....seemed to allow the ice to blend in better than the previous time I made this.

Over ripe banana and the 2 stage blending seemed to make this much better than the previous time I tried it.

howlinowl

A

I'm with the extended family in Florida, they hit the liqour store:

I picked the El Jimador, it's actually suprisingly good 1:1 with the margarita mix & little extra lime.

But I avoided the ready mixes & had the Longboard, followed by:

Followed by:

Cheers all!

Aloha all
Everyone is posting great drinks
U all made me thirsty
Adam have fun in Fl

Tonight's treat

Playin a new record I found a couple days ago

Cheers

On 2014-12-22 18:56, hang10tiki wrote:

Playin a new record I found a couple days ago

I seriously love Fire Goddess, and all the other Hawaii Calls albums by Webley for that matter, but this one takes the cake. My copy's a UK press which I found odd.

K

Zaya, neat.

Just got my Latitude 29 mug from Tiki Diablo (Christmas gift to myself) and tried it out with Beachbum Berry's underrated Krakatoa (Grog Log / Remixed) ...

Ancient Mariner with ED 15 and Coruba.

AdorAdam - Glad to hear you made it to Florida! El Jimador is the best tequila for the price imo.

Hurricane Hayward - nice mug :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 7799 replies