Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What AreYou Drinking- Right Now?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 7,795 replies

My interpretation of Smugglers Cove's take on Trader Vic's version of a Don the Beachcomber Navy Grog. The Smith & Cross dominates. Will need to try a different rum combo next time. This was my first time using Martin's number system (1, 2 and 4).

J

On 2016-08-14 20:07, mikehooker wrote:
My interpretation of Smugglers Cove's take on Trader Vic's version of a Don the Beachcomber Navy Grog. The Smith & Cross dominates. Will need to try a different rum combo next time. This was my first time using Martin's number system (1, 2 and 4).

I would only use the Denizen Merchants Reserve in a Mai Tai. That's what it was made for. By using that, you're adding a rum that was made to duplicate a blend of the original rums Vic used in a Mai Tai, so you may be muddying your blend with it. Denizen also makes a white rum, which I believe is the one to which Martin was referring in Category 2 in the book, especially since the Merchants Reserve is listed in Category 3. So the combo you used was actually categories 1, 3, and 4.

On 2016-08-15 07:22, JenTiki wrote:

I would only use the Denizen Merchants Reserve in a Mai Tai. That's what it was made for. By using that, you're adding a rum that was made to duplicate a blend of the original rums Vic used in a Mai Tai, so you may be muddying your blend with it. Denizen also makes a white rum, which I believe is the one to which Martin was referring in Category 2 in the book, especially since the Merchants Reserve is listed in Category 3. So the combo you used was actually categories 1, 3, and 4.

Yes, I just looked again and category 2 lists Denizen (meaning the white) and not Merchant's Reserve which is what I used. Thanks for pointing that out. I've only used the Denizen in Mai Tai's in the past and was looking for an excuse to use it in something else.

The Below Decks Spicy Dead Lady!

J

On 2016-08-15 09:13, mikehooker wrote:

On 2016-08-15 07:22, JenTiki wrote:

Yes, I just looked again and category 2 lists Denizen (meaning the white) and not Merchant's Reserve which is what I used. Thanks for pointing that out. I've only used the Denizen in Mai Tai's in the past and was looking for an excuse to use it in something else.

I've used the Merchant's Reserve in other things and have never been quite satisfied with the results. Fortunately, I drink enough Mai Tais to warrant always having at least a bottle or two at home.

M

I think I posted this on another post here.

I am obsessive over the TV Navy Grog. Been playing with this little gem for a long time.

I have found that a gold, a Jamaican, and a Demerara blend nice for the Trader Vic's Navy Grog. If I am feeling cheap, I'll use Flor Da Cana 4yr, Appleton Signature, El Dorado 8. If I am feeling like blowing it out, Zacapa 23, Appleton 12, El Dorado 12. Haven't tried anything older but I bet they would be even better.

Spending too much time at the bar at Trader Vic's here in Atlanta, I have learned that if they run out of the corporate provided syrup (which happens regularly), they make something similar to this, http://5minutesofrum.com/blog/2014/4/10/spice-syrup but instead of 1.5 cups of sugar, use 2-2.5. They actually make the tea and then just mix it with a bottle of their rock candy syrup (2/3 syrup-1/3 tea)

2oz of the above mix + 1oz Lime + 0.5oz Grapefruit + 1oz ea of the rums is how it will taste here in Atlanta.

If out of the above mix (or too lazy to make it) try mixing your own from bar ingredients, 3/4oz sugar syrup + 1/4oz Cinnamon Syrup + 1/4 Pimento Dram (St. Elizabeth) + 1/2 Falernum (Taylor's)

I am working on my drink menu for my room party at Oasis (saturday from 2-4). This is a PKSD. The recipe has a few tweaks from the original. If you want this recipe and more, make sure not to miss my room party sponsored by Pussers Rum!

This mug I got from Gecko last year at Oasis. He will be there again so find him for some great mugs before they are gone!

A refreshing end to a long National Rum Day: The Smuggler's Cove Twenty Seventy Swizzle with yellow label Lemon Hart and Angostura 1919 ...

J

Last night's National Rum Day selection

On 2016-08-15 15:04, mmaurice wrote:

I am obsessive over the TV Navy Grog. Been playing with this little gem for a long time.

I have found that a gold, a Jamaican, and a Demerara blend nice for the Trader Vic's Navy Grog. If I am feeling cheap, I'll use Flor Da Cana 4yr, Appleton Signature, El Dorado 8. If I am feeling like blowing it out, Zacapa 23, Appleton 12, El Dorado 12. Haven't tried anything older but I bet they would be even better.

Spending too much time at the bar at Trader Vic's here in Atlanta, I have learned that if they run out of the corporate provided syrup (which happens regularly), they make something similar to this, http://5minutesofrum.com/blog/2014/4/10/spice-syrup but instead of 1.5 cups of sugar, use 2-2.5. They actually make the tea and then just mix it with a bottle of their rock candy syrup (2/3 syrup-1/3 tea)

2oz of the above mix + 1oz Lime + 0.5oz Grapefruit + 1oz ea of the rums is how it will taste here in Atlanta.

If out of the above mix (or too lazy to make it) try mixing your own from bar ingredients, 3/4oz sugar syrup + 1/4oz Cinnamon Syrup + 1/4 Pimento Dram (St. Elizabeth) + 1/2 Falernum (Taylor's)

My typical go to "grog" is the Ancient Mariner:

1/4 oz St Elizabeth
3/4 oz lime
1/2 oz rich sugar
1/2 oz white grapefruit
1 oz Appleton 12
1 oz El Dorado 12

I don't bother making them unless I have white grapefruit. And I haven't played with a third rum in it besides Martin's recipe above, or if I'm doing a Don version with honey and no allspice.

On a side note, I've become a lover of the Bacardi 8 year. It has worked amazing in every drink calling for a Spanish style gold. Maybe I'll work that into my next Mariner.

M

On 2016-08-17 10:15, mikehooker wrote:

On 2016-08-15 15:04, mmaurice wrote:

My typical go to "grog" is the Ancient Mariner:

1/4 oz St Elizabeth
3/4 oz lime
1/2 oz rich sugar
1/2 oz white grapefruit
1 oz Appleton 12
1 oz El Dorado 12

I don't bother making them unless I have white grapefruit. And I haven't played with a third rum in it besides Martin's recipe above, or if I'm doing a Don version with honey and no allspice.

On a side note, I've become a lover of the Bacardi 8 year. It has worked amazing in every drink calling for a Spanish style gold. Maybe I'll work that into my next Mariner.

Add the third rum, 1oz, a gold but with some character, the Bacardi 8, I use the Zacapa.

I find the Ancient Mariner is missing some character compared to what we get here at TV Atlanta. They use a lot of sugar syrup and there is definetly some cinnamon in there.

The Below Decks Banana Boo Loo!

Hatchet Hall Airstream!

First Friday off in a long time and declaring it invent-a-drink day. I combined a bunch of my favorite flavors and it came together nicely in my first try. This presently unnamed concoction contains St Elizabeth allspice, homemade falernum, Pernod, fresh squeezed white grapefruit juice, John English fassionola, homemade hibiscus grenadine, some Ango, lime and 2.5 ounces of Reserva. Cheers to my pals at Oasis having a blast this weekend.

I a mdrinking a Porpoise Constitution.

it is made with Plantatoin overproof because I am out of Appleton Estate Signature rum.

it is delicious.

it is almost 5 am here. it is dark, and i am not wearing sunglasses...

The Below Decks Modified Industry Sour!

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Aug 22, 2016 7:45 PM

I just finished a Western Sour (Beachbum Berry Remixed, page 39) and still have some lime juice left to use. Maybe a Hemingway Daiquiri. Or maybe a Kapu Kai....

Treg- great drinks at the Oasis crawl
And congraDs on the "Best Drink" award

Porp- :)

The Corner Door Truffle Shuffle!

The Below Decks Marlin!

Cole's Corpse Reviver No. 2!

A

I've been in Spain for two weeks, the first week was in the countryside I drank:

• Cinanzo Bitter (like a pre bottled Americano cocktail)
  • Damn Lemon (a canned shandy)
  • Havana Club Ritual or Brugal Anejo Cuba Libres

The second week we headed into Barcelona & I drank:

• Huge Caipirinhas from the street festival that is going on
  • Vermouth. Each bar has a house version on tap & serves it slightly differently.
  • A vodka something in Finlandia / Star Wars themed Icebar

Now on to the main point of my post: 3 tiki bars are listed on Critiki in Barcelona (& one bar that serves tiki drinks) so we decided to hit up the 3.

First up was Kahala:

My partner had a Mai Tai (Trader Vics style with Bacardi Superior & Sailor Jerrys), I had a tasty orange & coffee drink. I quizzed the bartender what was in it - the mystery ingredient was... strawberry syrup!?!

Next Aloha:

My partner had another Mai Tai... well not quite a Mai Tai but was tastier than my brandy, cherry & orange concoction:

Aloha was tended by two older gentleman who looked like they'd been there since day one. On our way out it was amusing to see one of them tucking into a meal with a glass of cava while watching the football on a big screen.

Last was Kahiki:

My partner had another Mai Tai, she was disappointed that none of the bars seemed to be using the dry ice wells on the Porcelanas Pavon tiki mugs but then this smoking drink arrived:

You guess is as good as mine what was in it. I had a highly fruity drink picked blind off the Spanish only menu just because it came in a monkey mug:

I hadn't eaten yet so was definitely in need of something to steady me!

FYI:

The Spainish tiki style is really wacky & cluttered, the first two bars were definitely relics that looked like they hadn't changed much since they opened.

All the bars used Porcelanas Pavon mugs & provided bar snacks:

The mugs were for sale in Kahala ($40!) & not the other two bars... but a bit of conversation snagged me one in Kahiki for half that. They were all pretty ugly, I brought the most 'normal' one:

The only tiki staples on the menus were Mai Tais & Scorpion bowls - that there were no Zombies surprised me. There were the same Spainish drinks names popping up on each menu but I couldn't tell you what they were - the brandy, cherry & Orange drink was one.

I couldn't see any DTB style ingredients being used but plenty of sour mixes & fruit syrups instead.

Everything (except the first Mai Tai) was made with Spanish bottom rail brands I didn't recognise but they had better brands behind the bar. No Jamaican / Demerara / Martinique rums were used.

Drinks of the night: the orange & coffee one in Kahala tied with the blue guava Mai Tai in Aloha - I'd have either again. The rest were pretty off kilter & very fruity.

Bar of the night: Kahiki for being the friendliest & the decor (almost minimalist in comparison to the others).

If ever you're in town I'd definitely visit all three but not for the drinks - more for a bit of something different.

Cheers!

The Below Decks Old Fashioned!

On 2016-08-22 21:16, hang10tiki wrote:
Treg- great drinks at the Oasis crawl
And congraDs on the "Best Drink" award

Thanks!

Here are those recipes by me. Give em a try! Feel free to post them anywhere, please give me (Treg) credit.

Still can't believe I won. It was a lot of work and I made these recipes in less than 3 weeks.

AdorAdam, looks like a fun vacation!

Bird of Paradise Fizz. I assume The Bum used Smuckers raspberry syrup cuz the Royal Rose I used didn't give it the color shown in Potions. Still a tasty drink not unlike a Ramos.

On 2016-08-26 19:14, mikehooker wrote:
Bird of Paradise Fizz. I assume The Bum used Smuckers raspberry syrup cuz the Royal Rose I used didn't give it the color shown in Potions. Still a tasty drink not unlike a Ramos.

Hey Mike, Izzat drink so thick dat the straw will stick straight up? I don’t have the Bum’s books so could you please post the recipe? I luv the Ramos Fizz and the Bird looks delish.
Mahalo

Gonna have a Last Word followed by a blue moon. I use St. George Gin in the Moon.
Cheers

Oops

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-08-26 23:07 ]

On 2016-08-26 23:01, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

Hey Mike, Izzat drink so thick dat the straw will stick straight up? I don’t have the Bum’s books so could you please post the recipe? I luv the Ramos Fizz and the Bird looks delish.
Mahalo

On 2016-08-27 18:54, mikehooker wrote:

On 2016-08-26 23:01, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

Mahalo

Tanks Mike, gonna try one as soon as get off this computer,I don’t have raspberry syrup but I do have
raspberry Liqueur. I’ll make some rasperry syrup manana and try it that way.

Later

Stiggin's Fancy Coconauts

to follow some pupu platter ribs.

The Below Decks Agricole Rum Punch!

Broken Spanish El Gallito Valiente!

Made this Bird of Paradise using homemade raspberry syrup instead of the raspberry liqueur that I used the other night. First one was great-this one was outstanding! Mahalo Mike

On 2016-08-30 22:03, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Made this Bird of Paradise using homemade raspberry syrup instead of the raspberry liqueur that I used the other night. First one was great-this one was outstanding! Mahalo Mike

They look amazing. Did you use 3tsp (equivalent 1/2 oz, seriously why didn't they just print 1/2 oz) of your homemade raspberry syrup? The Royal Rose has a nice color but didn't translate in my drink at all.

Broken Spanish Green Garden!

On 2016-08-31 08:14, mikehooker wrote:

On 2016-08-30 22:03, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

[

They look amazing. Did you use 3tsp (equivalent 1/2 oz, seriously why didn't they just print 1/2 oz) of your homemade raspberry syrup? The Royal Rose has a nice color but didn't translate in my drink at all.

I have a small (shooter size) Measuring vessel that has ounce, t.spn, and tbl.spn marks on it.The 6 t.spn mark made it easy to make two drinks which turned out to be a lot.
Btw, I made the syrup with fresh berries using the same formula as you do for your Passionfruit syrup. Small pack of berries yielded about a cup and a half of syrup. Was awesome on Vanilla Bean Ice Creme too!
Tanks again, keep them recipes circulating.
Cheers, David

Hatchet Hall Airstream!

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Sep 1, 2016 10:42 PM

Just finished my second 1934 Zombie of the evening, with Appleton V/X, Cruzan gold, red label Lemon Hart, and homemade grenadine. Hope I can make it to work in the morning....

The Chestnut Club Diablo!

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Sep 3, 2016 8:47 PM

Just finished an original concoction with the working title, "The Waving Arms of Ke'li": spiced rum, lime, falernum, curaçao, maraschino, Angostura and Pernod. I was inspired by the Rum Crusta Swizzle recipe from a Sailor Jerry ad in the July/August 2011 issue of Imbibe. Having tried that, I think spiced rum and maraschino liqueur play well together and wanted to experiment.

Easy to make when you’re feeling lazy . The Leilani Volcano Concieved at the Polynesian Resort at WAlt Disney World

3 oz Guava nectar

1 1/2 oz unsweetened Pineapple juice

3/4 oz Lime juice

1/4 oz Rock Candy syrup

2 1/2 oz Coconut rum
Shake with crushed ice, pour into a Coconut mug,garnish w/

K

Three Dots and a Dash at Trader Sam's, yet another reason why it's miles better than Grog Grotto.

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2016 2:13 PM

Singapore Sling from Beachbum Berry Remixed, page 88. So good.

Enjoying the final version of a crazy concoction I first posted 26 days ago and served last Saturday at a special Atomic Grog pop-up ...

Coffee and bourbon in a Zombie? Surely I jest. Recipe and more here ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/09/01/recipes-exotic-cocktails-at-altered-state-tattoos-20th-anniversary-party/#Altered-State-Zombie

At the Raymonds (rtestaurant) bar I was having my fav drink there called a “Yesssssss” and my wife was enjoying her fav, Le Vie En Rose. We noticed a sign that said it was "tiki time" on Sundays. They craft some pretty good drinks here so I ordered their Rum Barrel. Jesus the barkeep use’s three rums otherwise it’s pretty close to the Mai Kai’s recipe which I luv. The Raymond’s Rum Barrel is ono! My wife was intrigued by the ingredients and picture of a drink called Blue Steel-Boodles Gin. Violet liqueur, Green Chartreuse, and a dash of yuzu bitters. Wow,it’s good and it lets you know you’re drinking.

Here’s a pic of the tiny bar-It’s slightly bigger then my home bar.

Here’s how you know it’s tiki time. Another clue-the bar staff wears Aloha shirts.

The Raymond is in Pasadena about a half mile north of the Canoe House in South Pas.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 7795 replies