Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

giant swizzle sticks project - creature's cove finished !! last pg.

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies

C

Ok, sorry.

On 2009-03-19 12:33, Clarita wrote:
Ok, sorry.

clarita, i was just being funny by havin alittle fun with your misspelled post.....don't go taken it all so seriously :)

C

:)

here's a final picture of the swizzle hanging on the wall.....i put the giant united airlines ku next to it for scale but you can see alittle of the floor too....

..it's for sale!! if anyone is interested let me know.....i would prefer someone local as i would rather not ship this if possible. the reason being that i'm not sure how much this will cost being an odd size box and all and i am afraid of it arriving with possible damage.....but if you know anyone local that can pic it up and get it to you, even if you can't get here yourself, let me know.....p.m. me. thanks!!

i have more swizzle designs brewin' so stay tuned.......

C

i'm trying to keep my intoxication level low, so I can post here, it's hard for me...! But I wanted to say that it looks perrrrfect! I think Elvis is going to be even more happy. oh! cool pink tiki-elephants too, yup!

here's the beginnings of another giant swizzle project......while i wait for the lettering for bamboo lodges' swizzle to show up.....i used the left over letters from the aku aku sign replica i made and added "the" and "room" in a bamboo font.....the tiki head is in the early foam stage at this point....not quite finished sculpting it....

stay tuned!!

okay- had to back burner the polynesian to get crackin on the bamboo lodge swizzle.....here's some progress pics....basically in the early stages showing the basic layout but nothing has been made permanent yet....the tiki they chose is based on the new caldonia tiki from the kona kai....below is a picture i have for a reference....

stay tuned!

Bamboo lodge giant swizzle is finished.....it will not be making an appearance at hukilau...instead it will be displayed in their booth at the jackson square antique mall in La Grange. I hope to help them trick out their booth alittle when they return from hukilau.....I haven't mounted hooks to the back of the swizzle yet cause we're not yet sure exactly where and how it will hang....here's some shots of it.....i'll post better ones once we get this thing flying in their booth.....

...now i have to get going on the F.O.M. swizzle.......and the polynesian pictured in the posts above.....

Swizzle me timbers!
That is awe---some.

These are great! I want one!

BB

Excellent work as usual Tipsy!!

L

looks even better than the last.

now how about crafting up that Forbidden Island swizzle?

Lets see those skills put to the test!

BK

Great work,as usual, Tipsy!

:o That came out great! Nice job Dave...can't wait to get that bad boy hung up in the mall. We may have to see about possibly attaching it to our traveling canopy as well. Thanx D00d,you rock!!!!!!! :wink:
D&C

thanks for all the kind words everyone...!

tonights the night....the unveiling of the long anticipated giant swizzle stick for the F.O.M......

here it is !!

the actual swizzle was long and when i scaled it out it would have come out much longer than it is right now, which is at 6 ft....in scale and proportion to the others i have made....the letters are not attached yet, i'll probably just center the words left to right. I also painted the letter faces gold for easy readability and keeping true to form like the other swizzles....I used the same font as the actual plastic swizzle but it varies slightly in some small ways. sorry for the poor photo...i took others but they really didn't capture it....i need to take it out back during the day and shoot it in natural light..will try to do that this week so you can see more details.....

and that's a wrap!!

the polynesian room giant swizzle will be done this week in time for a group show here in chicago later this month...details to follow-

B

Land of the Giants! :)

I really love the giant swizzle concept. Another home-run, Tipsy!

thanks...it's always diffucult to make a thing like this when there is already an existing swizzle that preceeded it...this time i had to be as close to that original stick as possible....i didn't have alot of free range on this one like i did the bamboo lodge, aku aku and polynesian room swizzles i made.....speaking of which, i changed the design on the polynesian to look like a giant spear with the tiki head on one end...

M
mp posted on Wed, Sep 16, 2009 6:44 PM

cool stuff tipsy. The detail and proportion are killer.
Now we need a ceramic tiki mug 6 feet tall.

Okay- while the rest of you were havin fun at ohana this weekend, i was busy finishing up this!!......it's the latest of my giant swizzles I've been making.

This one is the polynesian room. This swizzle, along with the first one I did, the aku-aku, will be showing at a group show of chicago artists this weekend at rorofugi gallery.

http://www.rotofugi.com

Thanks again for all your kind words.....from here on out i will be making these 6 footers on consignment for home bars and tiki bars in general, so if you have a favorite swizzle or want me to create a swizzle based on the name of your home bar, let me know......I will also be experimenting with scaling them down to a maximum 4 foot length....this will make them easier and more affordable to ship to folks and i will be able to sell them on ebay and my etsy site more readily. Watch for more in the near future.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-09-20 18:38 ]

That is killer Tipsy. If no one knew any better this could be a photo of just a swizzle sitting on the bar. You nailed the look of the classic plastic molded swizzle with this one all the way. Fantastic job.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Sep 21, 2009 9:08 AM

Nice work Tipsy. I'll be following this thread for new projects. Count on a commission from me in the future. Thanks for posting.

H

This last one looks fantastic, I love the color combination and the overall design, great work .

C

I wanna see the mug that goes with these!

thanks again everyone!!

..and the mug that goes with these is being used in a few of the winky tiki pin-up photos that can be found on the winky tiki website...I'm pretty sure it is the right scale...not my handywork though on the mug....

here's ore of the show info....

thanks to all that came out to the opening last nite....and the polynesian swizzle is now sold....aku aku still available I think. Check the gallery site if interested. They are willing to pack and ship it....check their website for info.

http://www.rotofugi.com

[ Edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2009-09-26 09:21 ]

Damn, those swizzles are awesome.

...I made a smaller scale swizzle for bamboolodge as a christmas present .....i felt bad that the larger swizzle i made them really wasn't designed to be taken around to various events they were vending at so i duplicated it and made a smaller one....the larger one will hang at their mall space....this smaller one, which i delivered last saturday, will travel with them.....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-12-14 20:14 ]

L

These are some of my favorite items you have made Tipsy.

Really looking forward to what you come with next.

You should make a giant tiki mug/hottub for them!

I had to blow all the dust off this thread since it's been awhile.....

anyway, here's a consignment swizzle (well. teaser pics, anyway) of the giant swizzle I am making for a friend ( who has immeasurable patience ). This one has been the greatest challenge for me yet because for the first time i actually have to work off an existing logo which is really heavily graphic. What initially seemed like an easy build, quickly turned complicated as i got further into it. The trick was to stay true to the graphic while translating the 2-D into a 3-D reality that was consistent in how a swizzle would look in reality. here's the first couple pics of it. The rest will follow shortly as I hope to wrap this up before the month is over......enjoy!

I wish I could see these in person but no way am I going to Hell to do that! Wendy

WOW!

On 2011-03-27 05:49, Big Kahuna wrote:
WOW!

I agree!

it's finished !!! Took me longer than anticipated but i had to freehand cut everything on it and hand paint all of it to match their graphic. I dig it !!

these things are a real pain to photograph because they are long. I will drag this out in the yard this weekend and get better pics in the sunlight....till then, here's what i got....

C

Very cool.

& I love the name of the bar - the lazy bird - haha! Excellent!!!

That is some eye poppin' POP art, love the gigantaswizzles!

TB

Just got my swizzle bar sign, man, you knock it out of the park!! Hope to see you at Luau at the Lake again this year so i can thank you in person.

thanks Dave.

Great Job!
Finally a swizzle Doug Horne can use!

Great Job on translating the logo into a 3D piece.

T

Can't wait to see the next one.

Fabulous Swizzle visions in my dreams!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies