Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

UK TIKI MUGS Book Launch 10 March Ltd. Edition Mug

Pages: 1 44 replies

P

Cutting this a bit fine but here's a post to let you know that there is a 'TIKI MUGS - Artifacts of Polynesian Pop' Book Launch at Trader Vic's on the 10th March...NEXT TUESDAY!

It's taken a bit of work to get this up and running but it will be a hoot, so be there and reap the rewards!

We are so pleased to have been associated with this book as it has turned out to be a great showcase for tiki mugs, their collectors and tiki mug artists who are keeping the whole tiki revival fresh and exciting! Keep up the GREAT work folks! For those of you who haven't been able to browse the book yet...NOW's your chance...Come on down!!

Below is a mock-up of the Limited Edition Moai Mug we've produced especially for the TIKI MUGS UK Book Launch.

We wanted to come up with something that had a definite BRITIKI feel to it and hope we have achieved that. The Book Launch as you already know is to be held at TRADER VIC'S in London, now the oldest of the Trader Vic's worldwide, so it seems fitting that the mug we chose comes from a vintage 1963 DUNCAN mold...the exact same year that our Trader Vic's opened it's doors to International Jetsetters and Cockney herberts alike. Uncanny eh?

The glazes we have chosen are the super cool satin black and Tiki Racer's 'Zombie' green as used on the MAHIKI mugs of the same name. The moai connection is way cool as the most impressive tiki artifact that we have in London is the moai in the BRITISH MUSEUM - HOA HAKANANAI'A. Acquired in 1868, this beautiful 4 ton moai is the pride and joy of BRITIKI and a meeting point for all oversees tiki visitors who come by to say aloha.

It doesn't hurt either that moai mug designs are our favo(u)rites here at POCKETIKI, as is shown in the first mug picture in the book (a small selection of our moai mugs). Below is Yak (the book's designer) organising the mugs ready for the shot.

All in all, we think this mug fits the bill. Hope you like it.

The mug will be limited to ONLY 30 as we do not have time to produce more than that! About 20 are bisqued right now, the decals for the back have been ordered (the mugs won't have a piece of paper stuck on the back as in the picture...honest guv'!) and the glazes are mixed, ready and waiting at CHEEKYTIKI (who else?!). They will ONLY BE AVAILABLE ON THE NIGHT, so no starting a list or any such nonsense...just BE THERE!

Not only will you be able to purchase the book and the mug on the night but also there will be a raffle where you will have the chance to WIN other tiki mugs donated by CHEEKYTIKI, POCKETIKI, TIKI RACER, HOTROD TIKI and TRADER VIC'S! If anyone else want's to donate a mug or two let us know...the more the merrier!

A big thanks to Dusan at Trader Vic's for letting us hold the book launch at such a prestigous location! If you are going to attend, pop along to Yak's MySpace and fill in the RSVP so we can get an idea of numbers. Thanks.

Make mine a Mai-Tai at Trader Vic's next Tuesday! Trader Jim.

[ Edited by: pocketiki 2009-03-05 12:34 ]

O

Sounds like a grand time, cheers from across the sea!

P

THANKS OceaOtica! We'll raise a mug to you and your great tiki mugs my friend!!

Make mine a Mai-Tai! Trader Jim.

ALoooHA Trader Jim! Great to hear you pipe in, Sir!

WOW! you fella's in the UK have got the FULL ON tiki action happening non-stop in Fogtown these days! If it's not opening yet another fine Cheekytiki-Racer establishment, then it's throwing hedonistic exotica souriee'z like this 'TIKI MUGS' by Jay Strongman, book launch!

Too cool for school...I wish "J" was for Jetsetter, but that's not to be these days. I would zip out to Cali for a good mugging on the 7th and then kick it into reverse, crossing da pond and party with Britikish Royalty!!! :D

Have the best of times and I await with baited breathe for the next issue of POCKETIKI! :tiki:

Count me in, I'll see you on Tuesday and I'll bring a retired Blue Hold-Fast to chuck in the raffle pot.

T

I'll be there - with an artist proof [one off colourway] mug for the raffle. Plus a case of goodies for show and tell. Will post some sneaky pics soon...

Atomic - It will be great to catchup again, we can talk more about HP.

Thanks to Trader Jim at Pocketiki for sorting out this Britiki do.

V

damn, I can't come ! Have fun, my friends. Man, this mug looks great, bravo.

Thanks for the comments guys! It is a shame that my overseas tiki chums can't come and play but I guess we'll just have to pretend we're having fun anyway? It'll be a long while before we can ever think of another trip to the US so feel free to drop in when you can!

Just a quick update...

I spoke to the Decal makers today asking if they had mailed the decals to CHEEKYTIKI yet, to which they replied...I don't know? DOH! It seems they haven't, so I've been promised that they will go out special delivery tomorrow. THEY'D RUDDY WELL BETTER!!! Man that letter box Anjy and batten down the hatches!!!

I've had a chat with Dusan the manager of Trader Vic's and he has kindly offered a HALF-PRICE MAI-TAI to anyone presenting, at the bar, the special voucher that comes with the purchase of the Limited Edition Tiki Mug(damn another job to do!).

Looking forward to seeing Tiki Racer's swag bag! AtomicTonyTiki, we can get the photo of you and the good ol' capt'n for the POCKETIKI article while you are down this part of the world too!

Watch this space for further hairy scary...don't tell Mary...escapades!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

oops

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2009-03-04 12:31 ]

C
croe67 posted on Wed, Mar 4, 2009 1:12 PM

Sounds like a GRAND time!! Sorry to be missing it by just a few weeks, but hoping to see you all soon! :wink: :D

P

We'll be sorry to have missed you too, but at least we'll have another good reason to get back to TTRADER VIC'S! Like you really need a good reason! Looking forward to your visit. Give good notice and we'll get a BRITIKI welcoming party ready! Toodle Pip!

Take care! Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

Sounds like it's going to be a great evening....really wish I could get back there to have a drink or three with you guys at good old Trader Vics (I miss their killer Samoan Fogcutters). So glad to see Britain flying the Tiki flag so strongly...the Book Launch mug looks amazing..congratulations !!!
Best Wishes From So. Cal, Jay.

We will be there. Will come straight from work and taking the day off Wednesday, as it's a long drive home!! Looking forward to catching up with everyone again, seems ages ago we we're at TV last!! Should be a good night!

[ Edited by: tikiwagon 2009-03-05 12:27 ]

[ Edited by: TIKIWAGON 2009-03-05 12:29 ]

On 2009-03-04 16:22, Kon-Tiki Viking wrote:
Sounds like it's going to be a great evening....really wish I could get back there to have a drink or three with you guys at good old Trader Vics (I miss their killer Samoan Fogcutters). So glad to see Britain flying the Tiki flag so strongly...the Book Launch mug looks amazing..congratulations !!!
Best Wishes From So. Cal, Jay.

Hey Jay good to here from you! We are doing our best to keep the British end up ol' boy...Oooh Eeer missus! Glad you like the mug, although the credit should go to Mr. DUNCAN for his fantastic 1963 mold and the guys at CHEEKYTIKI (especially my much better half SIAN!) who somehow have managed to squeeze this one into their incredibly busy schedule...THANKS GUYS!! I got the easy job giving out the instructions while they are orchestrating the whole shebang! SIAN should be back in an hour or so and I'll find out how hot these mugs will be on the night. If you are planning to purchase one bring your own oven gloves!!

Great news that the HOTROD TIKIs are gonna tool up the M3 to the BIG SMOKE too! The whole evening seems to be getting better and better!!

I just finished the artwork for the HALF-PRICE MAI-TAI voucher which will double up as a bookmark when it has been redeemed. Neat trick or what! Catch you later.

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

Hi everyone...

We'll be on the train from Cambridge... looking forward to seeing you all.

tikiwagon is right, it's been far too long since we all saw each other.

P

...We'll be on the train from Cambridge...

Great that the Cambridge train will be pulling into London Town with its precious cargo guys! Looking froward to the reunion. Did you here about the hapless tiki that got run over by a train? He was chuffed to bits! Geddit? Chuffed to bits? Chuffed to...aaaw forget it!!

I spoke to Anjy at CheekyTiki earlier and we thought there might have been a problem with the decals. They turned up in the post yesterday but did not look quite the same colour as the ones we tested on a broken piece of mug previously...despite being the exact same colour spec!??!! I've been assured by the suppliers that they will be alright though. Fingers crossed time folks! While all the SoCal Tiki Ohana are getting on down in L.a. tonight (have FUN!!! & a Mai-Tai for me!) I'll be tucked up in my bed trying to get some sleep as we are getting up early in the morning (on a weekend???) and heading up to CheekyTiki some 42 miles away to put the decals on the mugs. Anjy said the mugs are out of the kiln and are looking good so it'll be a treat to see them tomorrow.

Last night I printed the 30 Half-Price Mai-Tai vouchers and a postcard that'll come with the mug. The vouchers are individually numbered #1-#30 and you'll be able to keep it as a bookmark to mark your favo(u)rite tiki mug page in 'TIKI MUGS' when the TRADER VIC's bar staff have checked the voucher.

The mugs will be £20 each and strictly limited to one per person - first come first served!

We are putting into the raffle, a vintage Swiss 'Movenpick' tiki mug and a test glaze (speckled orange)mug from our vintage KU head DUNCAN tiki mug mold.

DON'T FORGET...MOST IMPORTANTLY...BUY THE FANTASTIKI BOOK!!!!

See you there! Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

GT

Cheers! My friends across the pond! Jim and Steve, Have a fun show, Mahalo! Gogo

C
Chrisc posted on Sun, Mar 8, 2009 9:04 AM

Hi, Jim

Sorry I can't make it on Tuesday due to a prior commitment (hypnotherapy client!) but do have a good one and will hopefully catch up with you at this years' Luau (any news on that?)

CHRIS

H
harro posted on Sun, Mar 8, 2009 1:22 PM

Nice work Trader Jim!!

I'm out of town during the day, but hope to be back in time to make it down to TV's.

Tim

P

Hi Folks! Just got back from a day at CHEEKYTIKIs decaling mugs and hanging out. Oooh missus, you've a dirty mind!! Thought I'd paste in a few pics for you.

The water-slide decals seemed to go on fairly well, despite an initial hiccup as the first of the thirty (look mum...No spares!) shriveled into a small ball as the water was a tad too hot...DOH! Anyway, we salvaged it an you'd never know. Honest guv', would I lie to you? I'm also known as FairTrader Jim round these parts.

So as you can see we got our 30 mugs done and it was time to put them in the kiln...

Now just gotta get some more sleep and wait for Sian to ring me from the 'Mud Hut' tomorrow.

I'm guessing the L.A. Book Party was a hoot but I'll have to check out the pics tomorrow...Can't wait!

Sorry you won't be able to make it Chris but maybe we'll catch you in a couple of weeks when Caroline flies in to town. Also thanks for the kind words Gogo! Loved the pics of your mugs/bowl in the book!

Take care - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

T

Looking forward to Trader Vic's tomorrow, here's what I'm bringing for show and tell.

including for the Raflle - an oily Pistoniki mug and an artist proof colourway of my new mug "Pia-kua".

Make mine the same as Trader Jim's...

P

Hi Gang! Can't wait to have a remake in that box of 'Tiki Tricks' TR! Sorry for the poor pic but here's the finished mug, including the numbered Half-Price Mai-Tai voucher/bookmark.

Bou'hua looks a little upset that he's not in the limelight but his time will come!

Looking forward to tomorrow night...a few friends...a few stories...a lot of Mai-Tais!!!

Yak will be bringing plenty of books for you to purchase and I know that Hotrod Tiki are putting a couple of Tiki Farm mugs into the raffle along with CheekyTiki who'll be putting in a couple of their own creations. All you have to do to get a ticket is to put your name on the mailing list tomorrow night and you'll get an additional ticket with a book or mug purchase. The draw will be at 9.00pm and you must be there to claim your prize - Good Luck!!!

Safe journeys to all who are coming! - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

Nice job on the mugs Trader Jim - looking forward to adding that to my collection.

See you all later.

S
squid posted on Tue, Mar 10, 2009 1:45 AM

Yeah LA was fun but we didn't have a bitchin mug at the event! Lots of pictures from the shindig please!

Yep Squid - I plan to get there real early to get near the front of the queue [line]. Only 30 off those babies up for grabs.

Now where is my sleeping bag...

Is that my Bou'hua? Looking forward to tonight, I think I can safely say no one is traveling as far to attend as I am.

looking forward to this! i should make it over by 10pm. ATT! you're coming down for this? awesome.

Yup but like Cinderella I have to be gone by 11 as I'm on the sleeper train home tonight, it'll be good to see you again.

Just about to leave,Cant wait for a good mai tai!

Have a great night tonight everybody !!! Really wish I could be there in my home town with the British Tikiphiles........someone please buy Yak a Mai Tai or two on my behalf...he did a truly amazing job on the book...Cheers !!

Fabulous night out. A wonderful book. I loved some of the little design touches like the ghosted tapa backgrounds. Congratulations to all involved.

I have a couple of pictures of the raffle, drawn out of a Vic's Rum Barrel, but I was mostly chatting and enjoying the night. I'm sure there are many more to come.

G
Ghis posted on Wed, Mar 11, 2009 5:41 AM

Nice to catch up and meet some of you last night.

Ghislaine.

[I am the blond girl with the checkered shirt sitting at the table during the raffle]

Big mega thanks to all you swell cats that came down last night.
And especially Trader Jim, without whose help it wouldn't have been half the the success it was.
Tiki Mugs is our fourth book but last night was our first proper launch party!
Cheers everyone!

Great night, and so good to catch up with everybody after such a long time!! Great job on the mug Trader Jim, another one for the collection (as if we need more!!) It was worth the long drive to get to Trader Vics, great night in such a kool place, we love it there, shame it is not nearer!!
When are you coming over to London then Squid? Next time you are in Paris let us know and we will get together!
Thanks everyone for last night.
Sue and Dave.

And here are some photos, forgot to take loads, so sorry about that!!

S
squid posted on Wed, Mar 11, 2009 1:43 PM

Hey Dave and Sue!

I can see you lot had some serious fun.
Can you feel the jealousy all the way from LA????

:)

Hey Dave & Sue~

After (or before) you lure Squid over, be sure to have enough scratch to get to San Diego in August. The short bus calls to you!!! "Bali Hiiiiii......."

CHEERS!

Andy
http://www.myspace.com/tikijoesocean

On 2009-03-11 05:41, Ghis wrote:

Ghislaine.

[I am the blond girl with the checkered shirt sitting at the table during the raffle]

Actually Ghislaine I thought you were the 'blond girl with the checkered shirt sitting at the table behind the detritus of a SERIOUS drinking session, ha, ha!

ATOMICTONYTIKI and his travelling companion 'Capt. Hold Fast' caught the Tartan Express down to the Big Smoke and picked up the accolade of being the 'Long Distance Tiki Trekker'! We were hono(u)red...a toast to the toaster!!

ATOMICTONYTIKI, my much much better 'alf Sian, and our lovely neighbour Kirsten, waiting for their Mai-Tais...as soon as the flamin' buffoon with the camera gets out of the barman's way!

Ian (KORERO BOOKS) was busy selling 'TIKI MUGS' books and a couple other of the titles to discerning punters, while the photographer who took the great photos of a big chunk of my tiki mug collection, Nick Grant, looked on in amusement.

TIKI RACER and his friend Anil were busy in the restaurant...such a lovely couple, and impeccable table manners!!

Dave & Sue of HOT ROD TIKI fame chewed the fat with their friend Julien. I'm guessing cars and tikis were the subject?

Anjy and Jamie, the CHEEKYTIKIs, chilled out with the Cambridge contingent Liz & Chris...and a few Mai-Tais!

Sian posed with her 'handmade' jewelry that the young ladies working in Trader Vic's in London all wear. She also has a display cabinet by the stairs where you can see and buy 'EXOTIC Jewelry made exclusively for Trader Vic's'. Shameless plug? You betcha!! I owe this woman BIG TIME!! By the way...that was not the last time that night that Sian was stood next to a mighty impressive tiki pole...but that's another story.

These two lovely ladies obviously got lei-ed, which is more than can be said for some! Man, I never tier of that pun...it's a tried and tested corker!!

First FREE raffle winner of the night won a MUNKTIKI 'No Name' tiki mug and Tiki Racer's winning 33 ticket bagged him a TIKI FARM 'Flame Man Chu' mug both kindly donated by HOT ROD TIKI!

These young ladies won a Skull mug (very apt judging by the outfit) and one of TRADER VIC'S great saucy story mugs, kindly donated by our generous hosts for the event TRADER VIC'S!

Poor old Pete from the CHEEKYTIKI team's elation was short lived when he realised it was actually a CHEEKYTIKI 'Headhunter' mug he had won...he felt he couldn't accept it and kindly put it back in the raffle (what a gent!), where it was promptly snapped up by a very exotic looking 'geisha'!

CHEEKYTIKI also donated the much admired 'Tangaroa' mug in its classy blue/teal glaze. Yet another happy winner!

We put in a couple of mugs ourselves, the first being a vintage Swiss 'Movenpick' mug which was bagged by Martin Shaw the photographer who travelled down to Poole in Dorset with Yak, to get some killer pictures of the HOT ROD TIKI collection. We're not sure who was most pleased? Martin or the suave looking gent in the background? The second, the first out of captivity of our 'KU' head mug, another vintage DUNCAN mold project we are having fun with. Lucky lady!

During a chat with Dave, Sian discovered that he had not picked up a raffle ticket so she kindly gave him hers. The jammy beggar went on to win a signed ATOMICTONYTIKI 'Capt. Hold Fast' mug with it!! My lady be your luck tonight Dave!

The final raffle prizes were donated by TIKI RACER. First up his cool and beautifully packaged 'Pistoniki' mug, which judging by the smile on the young lady's face, was much appreciated. Secondly...and finally...the awesome 'one-off colo(u)rway' artist proof 'Pia-kua', one of only five made (each one different). That is some prize!!! Look out for the regular version 'Pia-kua' at a tiki emporium near you soon!!

I must say that the evening was judged by many as a great success, a cool atmosphere, gallons of Mai-Tais, plenty of tiki ceramica, page after page of Polynesian Pop heaven and that raffle was real FUN!!!

REALLY BIG THANKS go out to:

JAY STRONGMAN for giving us the latest 'must have' book on the subject most dear to our hearts! And for being BRITISH!!!! RULE BRITKI, BRITIKI RULES THE WAVES!!!

IAN & YAK at KORERO BOOKS for bringing the project to fruition...GREAT job guys!

All the collectors who contributed to the pages of this awesome tome.

All the artists whose work we collect with an unbridled passion.

Dusan & Jane at TRADER VIC'S for allowing us to launch the book at such a prestigious and precious place and being on hand to cater for our needs.

CHEEKYTIKI who pulled out all the stops to get the limited edition 'Moai' mug ready in time, at very, very short notice!

All our friends across the pond who wished us well.

And..everyone who came along and had fun on the night!!

THANKS!!!

If you got any photos last night that can enhance the post...get 'em on!

It's way past my bedtime...YET AGAIN! So...If I've made an embarassing faux pas or seven, or missed out anyone (I probably have) I apologise in advance. Now...BUGGER OFF...I've got some ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzs to catch!

Take care - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

[ Edited by: pocketiki 2009-03-12 13:03 ]

What a great night well worth the eleven hour 828 mile round trip, a much needed return to the lands of tiki and to commune with the modern savages.

On 2009-03-11 18:58, POCKETIKI wrote:

These two lovely ladies obviously got lei-ed, which is more than can be said for some! Man, I never tier of that pun...it's a tried and tested corker!!

Cheekytiki pointed out why the girl some people might recognition her, she's kitty from the Teen Rockabilly Band "Kitty, Daisy & Lewis".

On 2009-03-12 02:14, atomictonytiki wrote:
she's kitty from the Teen Rockabilly Band "Kitty, Daisy & Lewis".

Soon to be supporting Coldplay on their US Summer Tour...

G
Ghis posted on Thu, Mar 12, 2009 6:09 AM

On 2009-03-11 18:58, POCKETIKI wrote:

On 2009-03-11 05:41, Ghis wrote:

Ghislaine.

Actually Ghislaine I thought you were the 'blond girl with the checkered shirt sitting at the table behind the detritus of a SERIOUS drinking session, ha, ha!

Haha, I knew you were going to post that one! I must say that most of those were drunk by our party, however I am a teetotaller :wink:! I can't believe that I lurked here for a year, post on my first thread ever here and end up with a picture of me making me look like an alcoholic! :D

[ Edited by: Ghis 2009-03-12 08:09 ]

I had a great time at the book launch, thanks to Trader Jim for getting us all together and Yak [and Jay] for the great book.

It was fab to meet up with the Britiki crowd, many traveled a long way to be there.

Man, Mug and Mai Tai

Enjoyed good company, lots of great drinks.

Just need to rearrange my cabinet now to make room for my new prize and joy.

Haha, I knew you were going to post that one! I must say that most of those were drunk by our party, however I am a teetotaller :wink:! I can't believe that I lurked here for a year, post on my first thread ever here and end up with a picture of me making me look like an alcoholic! :D

Well if that's what you want to have us believe Ghislaine? I guess we are hono(u)r bound to believe you! Hu-hum!

Like the mug and poster shot TR! That must have been one of those cheap throw away cameras you had there, as the jacket & shirt combo I was sporting looked VERY different on the young model in the MATALAN catalog(ue)! You want to get a good camera like mine and then maybe I'd look as good in your photos as you do in mine!!! But then again...

Does that Mai-Tai glass look a little low to you guys? That one was for Jay, Yak, Ian and...Hell EVERYONE!!! MAI-TAI!!

Take care folks! - Trader Jim (Make mime another Mai-Tai!).

[ Edited by: POCKETIKI 2009-03-12 13:30 ]

Thats looks good .. Damn..

I just noticed this. Although i was in New York at the time any way..

Nice mugs , book looks really cool .. :)

Tark

I have one of these books and although I have 7 of the mugs in it, I would like to find out if there is any interest. I can't post on Collections or Marketplace so thought I would revive this old post to get some feedback. Tiki Central is the ONLY place this book can find the right people.I'm in US

Pages: 1 44 replies