Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Don The Beachcomber, Sunset Beach, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies

T

Name:Don The Beachcomber
Type:restaurant
Street:16278 S. Pacific Coast Highway
City:Sunset Beach
State:CA
Zip:92649
Phone:562-592-1321

Description:

The original Home of Sam's Seafood from the late 1930's until 2007.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4914&forum=2&hilite=Sam's%20Seafood

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=76

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=663

Under new ownership the name changed to KONA in 2008, but now a new partner has entered into the picture to help rescue the restaurant from closing due to financial troubles.
This new owner happens to own the "Don The Beachcomber" business name, so now Kona will be the new home for the first Don the Beachcomber on the mainland in over 25 years.

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=663

So with the arrival of Spring comes the return of the first name in the Tiki/Polynesian restaurant and bar world, Don the Beachcomber.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-03-05 17:01 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-03-05 17:02 ]

bring on the good drinks.
I'm ready and waiting.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

D

I just returned from Kona/Don the Beachcomber's where TIkiyaki and I talked with the drink consultant and Chuck, the owner. We were privileged enough to be treated to two of the new Don drinks that will grace the new drink menu. I know there is a real thing about letting the cat out of the bag here on TC, but I have to write in and tell you that the drinks we experienced were impeccable. We sampled the Mai Tai (Don's version) and the Cherry Blossom Punch. First I want to say that any tiki drink enthusiast will know there has always been an ongoing issue between Don the Beachcomber's and Trader Vic's mai tais. So this mai tai at Don's was very different from a TV mai tai. However, it was an amazing taste sensation and stands on its own as an exotic cocktail. If you ware familar with Kona & Sam's old drinks, you will be blown away by these. Ryan, the bartender/consultant served us cocktails that are truly gourmet concoctions that are extremely complex in character. I can say that the two drinks we experienced were on par with the Mai Kai! The restaurant now makes their own falernum; and it is delicate and very deep in flavor. The mai tai uses this falernum along with other citrus juices (I tasted a hint of grapefruit) and I can say that it was an amazing, complex cocktail that true exotic drink aficionados will appreciate--with hints of spices too. The Cherry Blossom Punch was a delicious pink cocktail that was made with real cherry (no cheap syrup) and had an equal complexity that is missing from almost every single tiki drink establishment LA. It as a sweet, but refreshing (not syrupy sweet) cocktail that is delicate and deep!

They are going to roll out 10 of these new cocktails for now, with plans to eventually have up to 60 Don's exotics in total.

Drink up me hearty's, yo ho!!!!

On 2009-03-14 21:53, Digitiki wrote:
I just returned from Kona/Don the Beachcomber's where TIkiyaki and I talked with the drink consultant and Chuck, the owner. We were privileged enough to be treated to two of the new Don drinks that will grace the new drink menu. I know there is a real thing about letting the cat out of the bag here on TC, but I have to write in and tell you that the drinks we experienced were impeccable. We sampled the Mai Tai (Don's version) and the Cherry Blossom Punch. First I want to say that any tiki drink enthusiast will know there has always been an ongoing issue between Don the Beachcomber's and Trader Vic's mai tais. So this mai tai at Don's was very different from a TV mai tai. However, it was an amazing taste sensation and stands on its own as an exotic cocktail. If you ware familar with Kona & Sam's old drinks, you will be blown away by these. Ryan, the bartender/consultant served us cocktails that are truly gourmet concoctions that are extremely complex in character. I can say that the two drinks we experienced were on par with the Mai Kai! The restaurant now makes their own falernum; and it is delicate and very deep in flavor. The mai tai uses this falernum along with other citrus juices (I tasted a hint of grapefruit) and I can say that it was an amazing, complex cocktail that true exotic drink aficionados will appreciate--with hints of spices too. The Cherry Blossom Punch was a delicious pink cocktail that was made with real cherry (no cheap syrup) and had an equal complexity that is missing from almost every single tiki drink establishment LA. It as a sweet, but refreshing (not syrupy sweet) cocktail that is delicate and deep!

They are going to roll out 10 of these new cocktails for now, with plans to eventually have up to 60 Don's exotics in total.

Yes on all counts. The Mai Tai was WAY different than a Vics...WAY different. Complex indeed. The home made falernum, which we also sampled was very good.

This Ryan guy knows his cocktails.

The Cherry Blossom Punch was great too. The drink tastes like it's name. Good stuff.

If you ware familar with Kona & Sam's old drinks, you will be blown away by these.

I hope you're right Digitiki and I look forward to trying them but sadly as someone who's had the old Kona and Sam's drinks I'd be excited about a glass of water. :lol:

S

Tikiyaki and Digitiki: Luckiest guinea pigs in the world. I hate you so...

Damn,
sounds like very good news.
I am excited.
you guys are indeed very lucky.

let the Booze flow...

Jeff(bigtikidude)

D

Boris,
That's great. Keep the memory of the old Sam's & Kona drinks in your mind. That way you will be all the more impressed. As I stated, these cocktails were on par with the Mai-Kai. But as I stated in the other DTB thread, don't expect to walk into Kona and be amazed at the transformation. They are transforming the restaurant's interior, menu & cocktails over the next few months. They simply couldn't afford to shut down and do everything at once. Ben will be starting on tiki-ing up the interior soon and the food menu will be gradually changing as they introduce new items. And most important, the cocktail menu will be 10 Don's cocktails just to start. They are planning on adding a total of 60 of Don The Beachcomber's original drinks--along with custom mugs, volcano & scorpion bowls...the works!!

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2009-03-15 09:20 ]

A

Sixty Don drinks!? Now that IS impressive.

CJ

Just got back from visiting the new Don the Beachcomber. We had a Don's Mai Tai (different, tasty, complex), a Cherry Blossom (yummy and sweet), and a Navy Grog (can't go wrong when it's an old recipe). Ryan is the mixologist hired by Art to handle the drink menu. Super nice fellow who works a few days a week yet commutes all the way from vegas.

I was told they'll only have a few new drinks available tomorrow. They haven't stock the bar yet with all the needed stuff. Also, the bar hands aren't trained yet. It's going to take awhile before it's all up and running but I strongly suggest going. They have a few mugs already with the new name silked screened on them and will have the official mug in a few weeks as well as some swizzle sticks. Things are looking very promising!

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2009-03-15 23:35 ]

On 2009-03-15 22:58, Coco Joe wrote:
Just got back from visiting the new Don the Beachcomber. We had a Don's Mai Tai (different, tasty, complex), a Cherry Blossom (yummy and sweet), and a Navy Grog (can't go wrong when it's an old recipe). Mark is the mixologist hired by Art to handle the drink menu. Super nice fellow who works a few days a week yet commutes all the way from vegas.

I was told they'll only have a few new drinks available tomorrow. They haven't stock the bar yet with all the needed stuff. Also, the bar hands aren't trained yet. It's going to take awhile before it's all up and running but I strongly suggest going. They have a few mugs already with the new name silked screened on them and will have the official mug in a few weeks as well as some swizzle sticks. Things are looking very promising!

Joe, how many drinks did you have? The mixologist guy's name is Ryan :o

Nice shot of the sign.

Thank you for your kind words, I'm super excited to roll out the new drink menu although this will be a slow process. (Training and ingredient issues such as importing different items from other countries)

CJ
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.