Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Don The Beachcomber, Sunset Beach, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Apr 14, 2018 5:16 PM

I feel very fortunate to have been able to make it to Don’s this past Tuesday, just days before closing. Granted, I have wasn’t able to experience it in all its glory, but it was still wonderful to be there. Here’s hoping they can find a new place soon that manages to capture the spirit of the old place.

Thursday we were driving home and I spotted the land owner putting up the For Lease sign. Talked to him for a bit...
Even if Don's continues to carry the torch in another location, the closing, or worse, the demolishment of the Sam's Seafood building would be devastating.
Today is the last day of Don's operating in the Sam's building...last week I drank their last QB Cooler and Nui Nui...going back today to pay final respects and see what drinks are still flowin'.

I’m very sad they have to move, and will be closed for a while. But I am really looking forward to the new location!

Surfing legend Corky Carroll writes about Don the Beachcomber

Orange County Register: Corky Carroll- A sad goodbye to a neon fish

Building for sale!

photo from a post by Bamboo Ben from other social media

I thought it was already sold and slated for re-development. Interesting how these things work. So the property sits idle without a tenant until they get it sold, then idle again for many months through the design and permitting processes until someone finally begins construction on something new. Or - maybe they're really just looking for a higher-dollar tenant, like a single-story high-end steak house or something? Hey -- a sports bar -- you never have enough sports bars.......... Ha!

I was driving past on Thursday and saw that. And I wondered what they would charge per month on the lease, given the amount they were rumored to be charging to get Don's to vacate.

On 2018-05-20 14:33, AceExplorer wrote:
I thought it was already sold and slated for re-development. Interesting how these things work. So the property sits idle without a tenant until they get it sold, then idle again for many months through the design and permitting processes until someone finally begins construction on something new. Or - maybe they're really just looking for a higher-dollar tenant, like a single-story high-end steak house or something? Hey -- a sports bar -- you never have enough sports bars.......... Ha!

Hard to say if the current owners have filed any permits with the city regarding redev, but in this case it's probable that the seller isn't a developer and wants to cash in on their opportunistic purchase a few years back by selling to someone who can capitalize on the property's "highest and best use", which is probably complete redevelopment of the site into mid- or high-rise resi. It's a cleaner sale if the building is empty than for a new owner to deal with a brand new lease, hence the seller strategy to jack the rent to make it worth holding on to or vacate the premesis to expedite redev. :/

I'm looking forward to finding out where Don's is going to relocate....eventually.

[ Edited by: finky099 2018-05-22 22:34 ]

R

I have searched all over the forum and can't find the answer so I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask. So, here goes:

Does anyone know the link to the site where you can purchase the video that played on the TV in the Dagger bar? I thought I saved the link but unfortunately I can't find it.

Thanks,
Rick in Texas

On 2018-06-14 08:10, rbeyer68 wrote:
I have searched all over the forum and can't find the answer so I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask. So, here goes:

Does anyone know the link to the site where you can purchase the video that played on the TV in the Dagger bar? I thought I saved the link but unfortunately I can't find it.

Thanks,
Rick in Texas

Spike from the Hula Girls made that. Try the Hula Girls website
or LuckyDesign ? here on TC.

R

Spike's Tiki Weirdo-land DVD compilation via Hula Girls Website. Found it.

Thank you Bamboo Ben!!!

Rick in Texas

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies