Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Don The Beachcomber, Sunset Beach, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies

N

wonder if they will still have their friday/saturday ohana gathering event

N

fb chat with DTB

We plan to have limited appetizers available in the Dagger Bar both Friday and Saturday. Menu items will not be released until the day of.

We have not announced any final dates! We are open seven days a week! Come on by and get a Mai Tai!!Be sure to follow our Facebook page for any type of official announcements.
Mahalo

We are open for Easter and taking reservations.
No regular dinner service will be available Friday or Saturday!

*so idk if menu items mean the apps or easter dinner items or both. i was asking several questions and once and they were replying out of order/context so im not sure

[ Edited by: nomeus 2018-03-26 23:07 ]

N

On 2018-03-26 16:29, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
Well crap. I guess I have to scratch that off my list. Or go to Hawaii.

didnt even know there was an open one in hawaii. where is it?

Well, I guess since Don the Beachcomber events and the OC Weekly posted that the the place is closing, I can finally say my part. First of all, I'm sorry for all of the cryptic depressing posts... this is one of the hardest things that I've had to go through... losing a restaurant... I know, it sounds insane, but 8 years of performing there, well over 100 shows, a commercial filming, Monday night meet ups with Art and friends, two Hula Girls' Burlesque shows, four Curse of the Tiki Halloween Variety Shows, the Hot Rod Luau with Agent Orange, two Tiki Highways, more New Years Eves than I can recall, and so many days and nights with friends at the Tiki Marketplace, Birthdays, graduations, and even some wakes... it's gut wrenching to lose. But from its ashes, will rise Don the Beachcomber in another venue. It won't be mired in the weight of such an immense space or a landlord who is constantly trying to get them out. I've known about this fate since we 'saved' it the last time around. I knew it was coming. It doesn't make it any easier... but this weekend is a celebration! A celebration of all of the times that we spent under that roof together.

I sincerely hope that you will join us this Friday night for a proper Hula Girls' send off to our absolute favorite place. A place that The Hula Girls have called home since our first show in Oct of 2010.
Oh, and for the gods' sake, don't steal anything, it's all moving on to another location. This weekend is gonna be a fun one! Aloha!

T

Felt VERY fortunate to have gone there twice over the years and have a 30 minute conversation at our table with the late Art Synder and then get a tour of the whole place with Marie King. )-:

On 2018-03-27 00:56, Luckydesigns wrote:

But from its ashes, will rise Don the Beachcomber in another venue. It won't be mired in the weight of such an immense space or a landlord who is constantly trying to get them out.

Those couple of sentences say a lot about the adversity surrounding the location and the building and a landlord's economic interests. But it also speaks of hope for a "closure" which could turn into a "move." I wish everyone the best and look forward to hearing of an opening in a new place.

On 2018-03-27 07:50, AceExplorer wrote:

But from its ashes, will rise Don the Beachcomber in another venue. It won't be mired in the weight of such an immense space or a landlord who is constantly trying to get them out.

Those couple of sentences say a lot about the adversity surrounding the location and the building and a landlord's economic interests. But it also speaks of hope for a "closure" which could turn into a "move." I wish everyone the best and look forward to hearing of an opening in a new place.

By all accounts, this hasn't come as a surprise to the Beachcomber management. Maybe not this exact scenario, but they knew the owners wanted them and the building gone. I do hope they've used the stay of execution of the past few years to lay down a strategic plan for relocation and reopening. They may not have a new lease ready to sign, but a shortlist of potential new digs wouldn't be too much to ask. Fingers crossed.

If they are looking for a new space, I believe the old Bahooka location is available.

On 2018-03-27 10:02, robtikiti wrote:
If they are looking for a new space, I believe the old Bahooka location is available.

"It won't be mired in the weight of such an immense space"
Smaller not bigger.

We are still waiting for the new Kahiki to open.

Take lots of photos and video before it goes out.

Smaller not bigger.

The old Irish Mist bar space just up the street from Don's has been sitting empty for a couple of years now, it's smaller...

What, did Cinnabar restaurant close?

Sorry to see this place go.

FYI for nomeus - There is a Don the Beachcomber location at the Royal Kona in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island, but it's not affiliated, just Don's in name only. It's a good oceanfront spot to watch the sunset, sometimes with a vibraphone player, but isn't in the same realm as the the Huntington Beach location (Be aware that the "Don's Original Mai Tai" they serve...isn't.)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17772&forum=2&hilite=beachcomber%20kona

http://www.royalkona.com/dining.cfm

That's an interesting thought. What kind of condition is the building in? It'd certainly be smaller. Of course, I have no insight into the realities of SoCal real estate, so this might be as big a pipe dream as the folks who want to reopen Steak Island in Austin. But hey, at least there are semi-plausible options, right?

N

On 2018-03-27 11:26, bamalamalu wrote:
Sorry to see this place go.

FYI for nomeus - There is a Don the Beachcomber location at the Royal Kona in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island, but it's not affiliated, just Don's in name only. It's a good oceanfront spot to watch the sunset, sometimes with a vibraphone player, but isn't in the same realm as the the Huntington Beach location (Be aware that the "Don's Original Mai Tai" they serve...isn't.)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17772&forum=2&hilite=beachcomber%20kona

http://www.royalkona.com/dining.cfm

looked it up, seems pretty lackluster really. bummer

On 2018-03-27 10:35, Onyx_Noir wrote:

Smaller not bigger.

The old Irish Mist bar space just up the street from Don's has been sitting empty for a couple of years now, it's smaller...

Ha! I was thinking the same thing...

On 2018-03-27 13:58, nomeus wrote:

looked it up, seems pretty lackluster really. bummer

Probably. It's just a licencee of the name, but at least it's a licencee of the name. I'm sure the stories behind why Trader Vic's succeeded as a company while Don the Beachcomber basically just became an IP is an interesting one in itself. I wonder if they'll even licence out the "Don the Beachcomber" name to people's home bars? :wink:

Anyways, I'm glad to hear that the good Don's is looking to relocate. By the time I get to LA again, they'll probably have it up and running :)

N

yea but owners here had drink/food recipes at least. some of those drinks were super good

*mai tai and the penang... top notch i tell ya

[ Edited by: nomeus 2018-03-27 19:04 ]

Articles from Press Telegram (via Orange County Register) and Chris Jepsen

Press Telegram: Don the Beachcomber

Tiki Lagoon: Goodbye Don the Beachcomber

T

THANKS King B for the article links (-:

H
Heath posted on Wed, Mar 28, 2018 5:17 PM

Just out of curiosity, is the building designated as an historic landmark?
If it is, the owner's hands may be tied as to what they can do with the property.
I realize the management of Don's may not want to stay after dealing with all of the BS, but a strong historic society of Huntington Beach could cause the owners of the property some major pain.

OGR

On 2018-03-28 17:17, Heath wrote:
If it is, the owner's hands may be tied as to what they can do with the property.
I realize the management of Don's may not want to stay after dealing with all of the BS, but a strong historic society of Huntington Beach could cause the owners of the property some major pain.

The Kahiki was a Historic landmark also, correct, Skip? How did that work out?

Ha!
I was just going to post that and then you did.

Look a new kahiki would be a new Kahiki, and really most likely not that great.
It's that feel, the memories, the ghosts of the past that you can feel when you go there.

I took video of the inside of the Kahiki as they tore it down, they did not know I was in there as they had to leave every door open ( I'm sure that's a law or something)
Anyway I swear I could hear ghosts and odd sounds as I taped not just the tear down noises.

It was weird the whole place gutted, would bet I was the last person ever in the Kahiki if you could call it the Kahiki at that time.
And I have the film to prove it.

Sooo go to the place now, enjoy it as much as you can, cuz that's it.
AND take LOTS of pictures and video.

From now until it's gone people will take anything they can get their hands on, believe that, they did at the Kahiki.

H
N

On 2018-03-29 10:34, tikiskip wrote:
I have the film to prove it.

you recorded on film? damn what decade was this?

T

Er, video tape, it was that hi 8 crap too.
year 2000.

I do have 35mm pics too.
year long ago.

N

On 2018-03-29 20:26, tikiskip wrote:
Er, video tape, it was that hi 8 crap too.
year 2000.

I do have 35mm pics too.
year long ago.

H
Heath posted on Fri, Mar 30, 2018 2:29 PM

On 2018-03-29 08:40, Or Got Rum? wrote:

On 2018-03-28 17:17, Heath wrote:

The Kahiki was a Historic landmark also, correct, Skip? How did that work out?

Sorry if I struck a nerve. I mainly deal with older homes and occasional commercial locations.
Here in San Diego we have San Diego History Center and SOHO, as well as the HRB. There tends to be a lot of arguing before something of interest gets torn down.
Case in point: the California Theater, March 29, 2016, April 4, 2017, May 23, 2017, March 30, 2018

I realize this is more about the Don The Beachcomber restaurant than the building itself, but it sounds as if they're moving to another location so that leaves an iconic structure on its own.

After looking at Huntington Beach Historical Society site, I have a feeling the building is doomed.

N

where are they going?

H
Heath posted on Fri, Mar 30, 2018 3:46 PM

Well, I guess since Don the Beachcomber events and the OC Weekly posted that the the place is closing, I can finally say my part. First of all, I'm sorry for all of the cryptic depressing posts... this is one of the hardest things that I've had to go through... losing a restaurant... I know, it sounds insane, but 8 years of performing there, well over 100 shows, a commercial filming, Monday night meet ups with Art and friends, two Hula Girls' Burlesque shows, four Curse of the Tiki Halloween Variety Shows, the Hot Rod Luau with Agent Orange, two Tiki Highways, more New Years Eves than I can recall, and so many days and nights with friends at the Tiki Marketplace, Birthdays, graduations, and even some wakes... it's gut wrenching to lose. But from its ashes, will rise Don the Beachcomber in another venue. It won't be mired in the weight of such an immense space or a landlord who is constantly trying to get them out. I've known about this fate since we 'saved' it the last time around. I knew it was coming. It doesn't make it any easier... but this weekend is a celebration! A celebration of all of the times that we spent under that roof together.

I sincerely hope that you will join us this Friday night for a proper Hula Girls' send off to our absolute favorite place. A place that The Hula Girls have called home since our first show in Oct of 2010.
Oh, and for the gods' sake, don't steal anything, it's all moving on to another location. This weekend is gonna be a fun one! Aloha!

N

so nothing definite yet. well lets hope there is another spot

N

[ Edited by: nomeus 2018-03-30 18:31 ]

T

GREAT job by Justin on this vid. Does anyone know how much of the interior décor etc. Ms. Synder can take for a relocated Don's??? PS Would also like to hear some feedback/pics on the closing weekend events??? (-:

Hoping there will be more comments and feedback on the following thread

TikiCentral: Don the Beachcomber celebtrates the last 10 years at it's Sunset Beach location (Sam's Seafood)

N
nomeus posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2018 5:37 PM

On 2018-04-02 13:00, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
A comprehensive visual history

YouTube: History of Don the Beachcomber and Sam's Seafood

ben at 24:27 and then his twin right behind him

https://youtu.be/L4IRRwPsTKg?t=1467

[ Edited by: nomeus 2018-04-02 18:00 ]

L

From Charles Phoenix FB page:

Huh???

On 2018-04-03 08:23, Loki-Tiki wrote:
From Charles Phoenix FB page:

Huh???

Interesting. I quote Inspector Sidney Wang (Peter Sellers) in Neil Simon's comedy "Murder by Death," --- "Iss confusing!"

On 2018-04-03 08:23, Loki-Tiki wrote:
Huh???

Have a drink, party on, look good, cast a pose, take a pic, post it to the socials, and when your generation finally dies leave a long trail of digital images on someone else's server, showing you were there to intake ingest and consume, but never lift a finger to preserve what's worth preserving or keep it going for another generation or leave anything better than when you first arrived.

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2018-04-03 11:49 ]

Charles Phoenix's post on FB has generated a number of confused replies, but none offer any news on what (if anything) may have changed. As far as I have read, the location is closing.

From what we hear, they are keeping the lights on and still serving drinks until the last bottle runs out. So probably that's what Charles is talking about.

Good opportunity to get a photographer in there and take some final shots.

We don't know the backstory about the closing, aside from the summary of "landowner wants highrise condos there"

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2018-04-03 11:47 ]

S

On 2018-04-03 09:51, mike and marie wrote:

Have a drink, party on, look good, cast a pose, take a pic, post it to the socials, and when your generation finally dies leave a long trail of digital images on someone else's server, showing you were there to intake ingest and consume, but never lift a finger to preserve what's worth preserving or keep it going for another generation or leave anything better than when you first arrived.

Haha. Very well put.

There was a comment made over on Facebook, by someone who used to contribute to TC a lot, who said, "Why is everyone so adamant about getting an answer about what's happening? What are they going to do about it when they do?". Obviously there is something going on but until the actual owners make a formal announcement, who knows what the outcome of the place is going to be? And at the end of the day it is all about money and no matter how much people kick up a fuss and complain it's not going to change whatever ends up happening to the place.

P.S. And for what it's worth, going by the gazillion posts about it over on Facebook it sounds like they will have to vacate that location sooner or later but are planning on reopening somewhere else.

T

Orange County Weekly article

O.C. Weekly: Revisiting the Legacy of Sam’s Seafood, Sunset Beach’s Original Polynesian Palace

Thanks to Otto von Stroheim for bringing attention to it.

T

Good article.

Remember Otto von Stroheim is the guy who ran the Kahiki last day party.
Just hope he was not at dons to arrange the same for Dons.

On my last day when I sold my restaurant I told people it was not true and I had not sold the place.

But I really did.

N

"Pacific Shitty"

[ Edited by: nomeus 2018-04-11 00:33 ]

It's official- Closing April 15 but will try to open at new location

O.C. Weekly article with quotes by Spike of the Hula Girls....

O.C. Weekly: Don the Beachcomber Officially Closes April 15

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies