Street:5134 Kuhio Hwy
City:Hanalei
State:HI
Zip:96714
Phone:(808) 826-6277

Description:
http://www.thenui.com

D

wow, we talk about Tahiti Nui all the time, but we didn't have a listing for it in Locating!

i found this nifty cocktail napkin at an estate sale, and wanted to post it somewhere.

Very kool,could be framed it

A

August 2009

awesome dancer, lei maker, and apparently boar hunter

Lady Poi dancing, after some coaxing and mai tais

barstool

dude in the blue workshirt to the far right attacked me and had me dance with him seconds after this was taken

AllisonV - Thanks for the report. That place looks like a lot of fun. I really like the bamboo work in the ceiling and the photo of everyone dancing. Doesn't seem to be too much dancing at tiki bars anymore, although the old postcards and ads show that was an integral part of the experience back in the 60s and earlier.

Here is my Tahiti Nui shirt. I saw like four of these at Tiki Oasis this year.

A few more photos of the sign and the Tikis outside.

A great little place on the north-shore.

DC

A Tahiti Nui glass.

DC

The Tahiti Nui is still the only happening place to be on Kauai!
Live Hawaiian music every night. A local hang out full of tiki memorabilia in Hanalei.
The mai tais will have you walking on your lips.

Tahiti Nui matchbook.

DC

A

Here's a photo I came across recently in a 1970 book, showing a good time at Tahiti Nui.

Don't know if we've established when Tahiti Nui was established, but it looks like it was hopping in 1970 anyway!

-Randy

Tahiti Nui is featured in the new movie The Descendants staring George Clooney.

Found this photo of the film shoot in less than desirable north shore weather.

Clip from the LA Times this weekend:

Hanalei Town, North Shore

What it is: Small, charming town in front of Mt. Namahana with waterfalls in the background.

What it starred in: "South Pacific," "Lilo and Stitch" (2002) and "The Descendants." In fact, the Tahiti Nui bar (5-5134 Kuhio Highway) plays itself in "Descendants," and Parra says it's a great watering hole, popular with locals.

How to see it: It's west of Princeville across a one-lane bridge. As you arrive in Hanalei Town, you feel as if you've traveled back in time.

DC

I just saw these on a shared link to a current craigslist ad from the Bay Area.
Ad quote: "I purchased this set of 8 Plaster Tiki Heads from the Tahiti Nui when I lived on Kauai in 1999. I left Hawaii in 2008 and they have been in rubbermaids wrapped up since then.

I was told then from a very trusted source they came from one of the walls and were made in the 1960's, at the time they were in a storage box, they remodeled a few times(I knew the Bartender, probably too well;)))."

Looks like it's time to add some updated pictures. Surprised I haven't done that the past few trips.

This place keeps getting brighter and more open. Disappointing, but what can ya do? We noticed in Nov 2021 that they had removed the iconic carved Tiki barstools. They put in new flooring, and the Tikis got the boot; still makes me cringe every time we walk in. They've also cut through the wall / back bar making it all one big open room. There's even a window cut from the stage into the back room, so you're looking straight through to a big 7-up branded cooler and white walls. The float lights have visible LED style bulbs, and there are some newer Pier-1 Imports looking woven hanging lamps over the bar.

But still, we go. The Mai Tai remains unchanged - island-style/passionfruity, but good. And they'll actually cook your pizza properly. Service varies a bit by staff member, but is generally good and friendly. Be sure to check their hours before planning a stop, they vary quite a bit (Open at 9 Sunday, 11 Tuesday & Friday, not til 3 Mon Wed Thurs, Closed Saturday....)

(Side note, be sure to wander through the Havaiki store across the street while you're in the area.)

TahitiNui9

TahitiNui1

TahitiNui2

TahitiNui3

TahitiNui4

TahitiNui5

TahitiNui6

TahitiNui7

TahitiNui8

Pages: 1 12 replies