Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The spl,itting of topics

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

As much as in theory i agree that the splitting of topics can make for a better tiki central forum,i feel that in actuality it doesn't. As much as I love the new format, the lack of ads, the lack of dependence on Yahoo, there is something missing - and that, in my opinion, is the fact that in tthe yahoo days, we all saw every post, and there was a bit of randomness,a bit of serendipity happened - posts that you didn t think you might be into got into your life anyway, and you were better for it. Now here, we have our posts conveniently categorized, and quite frankly, it bugs me. I dont want to be categorized! to be shepherdefdinto 'selling' categories or whatever, well, I dunno, it seems like it's no fun anymore.

I liked the old style of everyone putiing their 2 cents in on every topic.

For some reason, this new style tiki central, what it makes up for in conciseness and logic, it lacks in humour. And for me, the tiki culture is all about fun. As soon as it becomes pedantic, I'm outta here. I pray to god us tiki folks don't become like the hockey card people. PLEASEEE!!!!

Let's rock.

Jane

W

Because of the order and categorizing I like the new format more. I can ignore blocks of messages about topics I have no interest in such as Shag merchandise or a show a few hundred miles away from me (and sometimes when I've ran out of stuff to read I go back to untouched topics and make pleasant discoveries like the amazing Tiki house or myriahs.com). If replies in a thread are just one line "I know what you mean! :wink:" type things they're easier to skip over. Or if a reply is lengthy but lacking certain points (like what it is a reply to) it's easy to figure out as everything is in one thread together. I don't see any less humor than before. The individual threads actually make the humor better as one can read everything in context and the clever replies aren't just non sequitors floating freely in a jumble of posts. And I love the rich Corinthian leather bucket seats.

K

I see nothing but advantages in the new Tiki Central. I was always missing stuff on Yahoo and could never find it, or would have to invest lots of time to find one little bit of information.

T

When the new Tiki Central came on I too felt like Tikifish does, that the feeling of a group dicussion, with everyone chiming in on whatever the current topic was, was missing. But I've come to appreciate the new format more. As stated above (I forget who posted above me?) you can go back and look up things you breezed over at first but later found a need to know. As well as post updates to previous (sometimes very previoius) posts. All in all I think it's better.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tishfish,

If you're looking for something along the lines of the old Yahoo where you can see every post in the order they were posted, I suggest you sign up for the mail-delivery. It gives you every post as they're posted, and included in each one is a link to view the thread on the site or reply to it. It's very much the old Yahoo experience in the mail sense.

If you're worried about a flood of emails, use a mail filter to have them delivered to a special folder.

To sign up go here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/mail_register.php

~Hanford

I totally love this new format much better. I hated having to sift through all the messages on Yahoo to find the topics that I wanted to read about.

Like Woofmutt said:
"The individual threads actually make the humor better as one can read everything in context and the clever replies aren't just non sequitors floating freely in a jumble of posts."

and...

"Because of the order and categorizing I like the new format more. I can ignore blocks of messages about topics I have no interest in such as Shag merchandise or a show a few hundred miles away from me."

I too, use the categorizing to skip over these exact same topics!

I kinda agree with Tikifish, but it's not the categorizing, it's the lack of opening sentences, the loss of "response to..", and somehow the certainty to always have been up to date with the posts that makes it less entertaining.
For example: I am not interested in Tiki Fonts, but just because I had some x-tra time I read "Fonts and Pics" and discovered the whole threat about the the Tiki Aussies, which was very interesting.
It's unfortunate that one could miss out on conversations like that just because the initial header is not one's bag....

T

I prefer the new format as well. Because I get the posts by email I find the new forum to have the same "feel" as the old one did with the same variety. But it's better because I can skip emails that about ebay if I wish. Sorry, tikifish, I don't think it's changed for the worse, but it would if you left us!

Word to the Fish! That's why I get my TC via email. There are lots of forums I just wouldn't get around to reading if I had to go to the site and decide which ones to peruse. Because it all gets dumped into my Tiki inbox (filtered courtesy of Yahoo), I read pretty much every damn thing that gets sent it, regardless of how the site has it filed. I highly reccomend the email version to anyone who isn't currently using it, but only if you're in a position to check your email regularly, otherise it gets backed up pretty fast...

I used the email option on Yahoo and I use it on the new board and it works exactly the same.

I do wish there was an option to receive a once-a-day digest of most recent posts, like Yahoo offers, though. But beggars can't be choosers, so long live the new Tiki Central and high praise to Hanford for all the hard work!

-Mike

I have to say that the splitting up of threads bugs me-

I much preferred being able to peruse all the topics in one spot rather than having to go back and forth between areas. Tiki central is pretty busy, but not so busy as to be forced to create seperate boards in my opinion- I liked it before where the tiki mug topics where posted on the regular board.. multiple areas gets too confusing and leads to dead zones.

I vote for one single board

You know, I did not agree so much the other day when I initially read this.
Then I went looking for the topic where I said something and I could not find it.

Yeah, there are a lot of things I miss if I don't pay attention. It's not like the good old days when you posted by date.
(Hell, it took me forever to find this post!)

And simple people like me get easily confused.

But this is by far better than sifting through mindless adds on Yahoo and having things censored if they were anti-Yahoo.
(The conspiracy mind in me still believes this was going on there at the end!)

Certainly there is no way we will accomidate everyone. So I just sit back and enjoy what I can.

Always appreciative,
-C.
:sheckymug:

Hey now, Tikifish, you don't want none of this humour nonsense on these Internet thingummajigs -- as anyone on the Exotica list right at this very moment could tell you. They've got a nice little flame war going down because a couple of guys tried to crack a virtual smile (not me, I stress...)

Seriously, my vote is all for the new style, but I don't know that there is a need for separate forums (fora?) as such -- you can ignore folders on stuff you don't care about, even if they do have that alluring little "new mail" wiggle in their hips. Whatever -- personally I think the thing works beautifully and is a great improvement on even pre-advert Yahoo (where I sometimes felt like I was wading through treacle trying to follow a thread). But then I probably have a narrower sphere of interest than some of youse guys (e.g I don't -- oh the SHAME -- ever look at eBay), which is probably why it works better for the part-time likes of me.

On 2002-06-11 09:01, the75stingray wrote:
Then I went looking for the topic where I said something and I could not find it.

You know there's a full search capibility? It's in the upper-right toolbar. Test it out!

~Hanford

F

If we must have seperate forums, a nice addition would be some large graphical links to the other forums at the top of each forum list- for example, next to the tiki central graphic.

That way you dont have to do all that backing up

After returning from vacation, I've found the splitting of topics to be pretty handy.

The volume of posts is huge compared to the old Yahoo days, and it's a lot easier to check the topics that interest you first, then hit the others on a slow Wednesday afternoon.

Saying that, I do miss the angry posts saying such things as "Plan your Tiki Convention elsewhere, you bastards!"

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 15 replies